IMDb > Deep Impact (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Impact

Deep Impact More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 50: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: citydance247 (citydance247@email.com) from Boston, Ma
19 February 2002

Deep Impact was a great movie and very entertaining. I found myself crying my eyes out as the president gave his speech. Elijah Wood is a great (and good looking) actor. And since I'm not too into the whole space/comet theme this movie did a great job of keeping me into it. For a great film, I give it a 8/10.

I was pleasantly surprised

Author: Scott Johnson from Miami, FL
12 February 2002

This movie was pretty universally panned, and I didn't expect to like it, but as it turned out, I liked it enough to purchase the video.

Of all the disaster-genre movies that came out that summer, this one required the least willing-suspension-of-disbelief. (Compared to "Armageddon" it was a scientific masterpiece, though that's not saying much.)

There was also a much greater depth of dialogue and character in this movie than its contemporary disaster flicks. It painted a picture of the human response to global disaster that was, if not realistic, at least believable. It had moderate doses of schmaltz, but it wasn't shamelessly sentimental, nor did I walk away from it feeling like the movie was trying to manipulate one's emotions.

I'd give this movie a good 7.5 out of 10.

I was pleasantly surprised

Author: Scott Johnson from Miami, FL
12 February 2002

I'd give this movie a good 7.5 out of 10.

emotional and exciting

Author: (jt_boricua@hotmail.com) from wauchula
7 February 2002

This is one of the best disaster movies I've seen by far.It not only had the best special effects ,it had one of the best actors to date.Mr. Morgan Freeman.His portrayal of the president was terrific.They could not of been able to cast someone which such talent and charisma. Robert Duvall was also very good as the head captain.Elijah Wood was equally in perfect cast as a very smart kid who saw the asteroid in the beginning of the movie.Why dont people start taking great actors into consideration.I havent heard anyone applaud Morgan Freemans role or anyone elses.This movie was very emotional and I do not think it should be missed.

P.S>Way better than the highly predictable "Armegeddon"

...and co-directed by Celine Dion

Author: Alcibiade del Mezzogiorno (alberich68@hotmail.com)
4 February 2002

Think of a movie that contains: a giant asteroid, planetary destruction, the full resources of the world's and especially the U.S military, panic in the streets, and hardcore techno-babble.

Who would have guessed this was a movie about...relationships?

Rather than play out a sci-fi action drama with high-end special effects, the film makers chose to follow a weird synthesis of "Armageddon" and "Steel Magnolias". In the fantastical context, the outcome is deeply ludicrous, and one weeps at the wasted opportunity for more dynamic entertainment. Bizarre.

Not too bad...certainly made ARMAGEDDON look like kiddie pablum...

Author: seashellz from United States
3 February 2002

I liked the non-sensational, human approach the film took. It was as much about people as it was special effects. And little of it was sappy. Leoni looked a bit lost at times, though. Micheal Bay, on the other hand, should either be forced to go back and take Film School all over again, or better yet, go back to his former job as Roto-Rooter Technician...

Love and faith conquers all.

Author: zoe girl from Texas, USA
21 January 2002

Leo Biederman (Elijah Wood) has just stumbled upon the biggest story in the world. He found a comet as large as New York city headed in the straight path toward earth. Jenny Lerner (Tea' Leoni) is a news reporter that thinks she has a boring story of an affaire. Little does she know she's about to find that her story will lead to the comet. When the president reports the news on live tv he informs everyone that there will be a lottery. A lottery that will decide who lives and who dies. 1,000,000 people will be chosen to be placed to live in furnished mines for the next two years. It is now a race of life, love, and faith.

good

Author: Real Critic
18 December 2001

Deep Impact is a better movie overall than Armageddon. Armageddon is action packed, but Deep Impact has plenty of suspense. More important, it has a much more credible story. The characters are more likable and the movie packs an emotional punch. The thing that really makes it rise above Armageddon, is the acting is much better. Morgan Freeman is terrific as always. 3/4

Breathtaking!

Author: jhazelett72 from Iowa
4 December 2001

Other viewers have compared this movie to "Armageddon" with Bruce WIllis. I don't think that's fair. "Armageddon" was good because the writers and producers knew what it was: a slam-bang action thriller with definite comedy and science fiction elements. "Deep Impact" is good because it takes a look at the possibility from the other end of the spectrum: how would we truly act as citizens of the Earth if we thought it might be destroyed? It's always been interesting to me that I enjoyed both films fairly equally. Whenever I'm asked to compare them I have to tell people that they are two completely separate movies, rather than two movies about the same thing. And that's what I'll tell you. If you're looking for that roller-coaster ride of a movie, see "Armageddon." If you want a true drama that shows how we as humans might react in a very serious situation, I highly recommend "Deep Impact." I must add this note: I agree completely with the previous reviewer who said that Morgan Freeman's performance as the President in this movie is perhaps the finest performance of anyone in that role, and more screen time for him would have made the film even better.

Inspirational

Author: Martin Hanley (masterhanley@yahoo.com) from Nottingham, England
1 November 2001

I've always liked Armageddon better than this.But after reading one of the comments I decided to watch it again,and boy,I'm glad I did.This is top notch quality entertainment,with brilliant acting from the whole cast,from Morgan Freeman to Denise Crosby,and the special effects are three times better than Armageddon.So if you have two hours to spare,I recommend to watch this,YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.