IMDb > Deep Impact (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Impact

Deep Impact More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 48: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Touching Movie

Author: empress11 from Massachussettes
14 April 2002

Deep Impact was a very touching movie. The cast was wonderful especially, Elijah Wood (of course) and Morgan Freeman. I cry so hard when the President gave the final speech before the comet hit. Tea Leoni was very good in her role too. It was a little hard to catch what was happening when the reporter finds out the truth about Elle or whatever but pretty soon I could figure out what was happening. My favorite quote-

Kid in audience- "Now that your famous you'll be having sex a lot more"

Leo- "...really?"

soaps in space?

Author: juicepartridge from London UK
11 April 2002

I must admit, when i first saw this i thought it was the biggest pile of s****, even though it had its moving moments as far as disaster 'epics' go. I think too much depended on riding on the slipstream of Titanic's success in combining sap with action. But the more i see it, the more i see in it. Leder got a lot right with this. If we really were faced with this kind of global scale disaster, the people lottery would definitely happen. Mass chaos and people protesting at why saving two birds and an antique over their lives, would happen. And for these reasons among others, she hit the 'what if' nail on the head with this film. The problem is, the realism is in the subtle touches and not the central storylines. Or the special effects which, i have to say, am i the only one who thinks CGI is the most fake looking form of effect going and doesn't understood the Hollywood obsession with it? People probably would start to take on different roles in their families, (but come on,'I'm going back for Sarah', 'Ok, kid, just let me give you my watch and be on your way now' - oh my god as if!)

It just seems that it could have been a better film without lame attempts at sinking New York thrown in for good measure at the end. I like the fact that we're allowed to have a humanist approach to an action blockbuster, but the film comes across as unsure of itself. It doesn't want to be one or the other (and rightfully so - i'd like to think we've moved on) but, despite this, it's hardly a seamless synthesis either, really, is it. Maybe we're not ready as a mainstream, 'whole' culture to take on this kind of film and appreciate what it's trying to do. Maybe we still know what we like, and like what we know. As an action film, this ain't it.

I'll try again in a couple years.

Shh... I liked it

Author: Perelandra from Hamilton, NZ
25 February 2002

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Yes, it's one of those movies I hate to like- unlike Life is Beautiful or something really classy which you tell everyone you adore. Because quite frankly, Deep Impact wasn't very good. I saw it on TV, principally because after The Fellowship of the Ring I was eager to see some of Elijah Wood's earlier work. And yes, it was Frodo's film. The relationship between Elijah and Leelee Sobieski was beautifully done, and I couldn't bear it when they left the screen. From the very first moment when they were murmuring "Yes it is," "No, it isn't" at each other through their telescopes, they acted brilliantly and I liked the idea that young love can be not only moral and true but be real LOVE, as in marriage. Was that garbled? Forget it.

Tea Leoni also wasn't bad, although the stepmother thing was a bit cliched and she didn't make a terribly good news presenter. And the special effects weren't terribly good, and it was definitely a TV-movie and not designed at all well for a movie-movie.

Oh, and I'm a sucker for mass-disaster movies. Even the terrible Countdown to Chaos appealed to something in me that likes a lot of Americans running around screaming... Is it just me? Deep Impact at least posed some interesting moral questions about the over-fifty people not being selected for survival. Then again, if you're looking for interesting moral questions you could probably find something much more worthwhile to watch!

Thank you, Leelee and Elijah.

Great Movie

Author: citydance247 (citydance247@email.com) from Boston, Ma
19 February 2002

Deep Impact was a great movie and very entertaining. I found myself crying my eyes out as the president gave his speech. Elijah Wood is a great (and good looking) actor. And since I'm not too into the whole space/comet theme this movie did a great job of keeping me into it. For a great film, I give it a 8/10.

I was pleasantly surprised

Author: Scott Johnson from Miami, FL
12 February 2002

This movie was pretty universally panned, and I didn't expect to like it, but as it turned out, I liked it enough to purchase the video.

Of all the disaster-genre movies that came out that summer, this one required the least willing-suspension-of-disbelief. (Compared to "Armageddon" it was a scientific masterpiece, though that's not saying much.)

There was also a much greater depth of dialogue and character in this movie than its contemporary disaster flicks. It painted a picture of the human response to global disaster that was, if not realistic, at least believable. It had moderate doses of schmaltz, but it wasn't shamelessly sentimental, nor did I walk away from it feeling like the movie was trying to manipulate one's emotions.

I'd give this movie a good 7.5 out of 10.

I was pleasantly surprised

Author: Scott Johnson from Miami, FL
12 February 2002

I'd give this movie a good 7.5 out of 10.

emotional and exciting

Author: (jt_boricua@hotmail.com) from wauchula
7 February 2002

This is one of the best disaster movies I've seen by far.It not only had the best special effects ,it had one of the best actors to date.Mr. Morgan Freeman.His portrayal of the president was terrific.They could not of been able to cast someone which such talent and charisma. Robert Duvall was also very good as the head captain.Elijah Wood was equally in perfect cast as a very smart kid who saw the asteroid in the beginning of the movie.Why dont people start taking great actors into consideration.I havent heard anyone applaud Morgan Freemans role or anyone elses.This movie was very emotional and I do not think it should be missed.

P.S>Way better than the highly predictable "Armegeddon"

...and co-directed by Celine Dion

Author: Alcibiade del Mezzogiorno (alberich68@hotmail.com)
4 February 2002

Think of a movie that contains: a giant asteroid, planetary destruction, the full resources of the world's and especially the U.S military, panic in the streets, and hardcore techno-babble.

Who would have guessed this was a movie about...relationships?

Rather than play out a sci-fi action drama with high-end special effects, the film makers chose to follow a weird synthesis of "Armageddon" and "Steel Magnolias". In the fantastical context, the outcome is deeply ludicrous, and one weeps at the wasted opportunity for more dynamic entertainment. Bizarre.

Not too bad...certainly made ARMAGEDDON look like kiddie pablum...

Author: seashellz from United States
3 February 2002

I liked the non-sensational, human approach the film took. It was as much about people as it was special effects. And little of it was sappy. Leoni looked a bit lost at times, though. Micheal Bay, on the other hand, should either be forced to go back and take Film School all over again, or better yet, go back to his former job as Roto-Rooter Technician...

Love and faith conquers all.

Author: zoe girl from Texas, USA
21 January 2002

Leo Biederman (Elijah Wood) has just stumbled upon the biggest story in the world. He found a comet as large as New York city headed in the straight path toward earth. Jenny Lerner (Tea' Leoni) is a news reporter that thinks she has a boring story of an affaire. Little does she know she's about to find that her story will lead to the comet. When the president reports the news on live tv he informs everyone that there will be a lottery. A lottery that will decide who lives and who dies. 1,000,000 people will be chosen to be placed to live in furnished mines for the next two years. It is now a race of life, love, and faith.