IMDb > Chicken Run (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chicken Run

Chicken Run More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 37: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Chicken Run was too hyped for what it was

Author: (tlm3@hotmail.com) from Enola, Pennsylvania
29 June 2000

Rating: 5/10

Several chickens are set in a chicken farm in Yorks, Britain. Their leader Ginger (Julia Sawalha) early in the movie devises plans and risks herself to help the chickens escape. The plans continue to fail and she is punished by being placed in a coal bin for a duration of time. The chickens become a bit depressed and hopeless until one day when Rocky the Rooster (Mel Gibson) comes crashing down from the sky into the chicken coop. After a while the hens decide that besides finding him very attractive, he could teach them to fly and help them all escape.

Chicken Run is, of course, an English comedy springing from the clever and entertaining Wallace and Gromit, directed by Nick Park. The only difference, Chicken Run is not, as clever or entertaining. I was not too impressed with Chicken Run. I thought that several elements of the movie and scripting could have been vastly improved. I smiled through most of the movie, but rarely really laughed. The plot started out with a lot of energy that, through the movie began to dissipate. I did however like the claymation and some of the concepts of the movie were very funny and well presented. Many people hail Chicken Run as "The best movie of the summer!" Where did they come up with that?

The chickens are up to something, and she is their leader.

For the Ryan Review, Adam Ryan

Let me know any feedback any of you have about the movie! Thanks.

Nice, but about 60 minutes too long

Author: leeconn-2 from Irvine, CA (USA)
16 July 2000

Although I appreciate the effort that goes into claymation and have thoroughly enjoyed the adventures of WALLACE & GROMIT, this story would have been better presented as a 30-minute TV episode instead of a full-length movie. Nice try, but it just misses the mark.

Better than it should be.

Author: billosaurus from United Kingdom
25 June 2017

Chicken run really has what could have been a very corny, immature, and, possibly, tasteless premise, and easily have just been a very stupid, loud, colourful mess that shuts kids up. Actually, this film doesn't settle for that, it actually has a lot of intelligence, charm, subtlety, legitimately emotional scenes, and could even be quite morbid at times. This film is one I recommend to all ages. Fans of POW movies can get a kick from it, kids can enjoy it, as can anyone else. The plot is very erratic, but in a good way and keeps you guessing, until it leads to a climax you certainly won't see coming. Idealistic and natural hatched lead hen ginger, her intelligent, scatterbrained, and slightly insane Scottish assistant Mac, wise old veteran rooster fowler, muscular, loudmouthed, and cantankerous bunty, and endearingly ignorant babs hatch feckless scheme after feckless scheme, in a bid to liberate the farm's vast chicken flock. However, ginger and the gang are stopped at every turn by the callous and tyrannical Willard tweedy, and his pair of attack dogs. The farm is low on funds, and any hen who cannot produce eggs is decapitated, and eaten by the two farmers. However, a rooster, known as rocky the Rhode island red, who is capable of flight, crashed into the farm one fateful night, and has to take time to heal his broken wing, while, after threatening to return him to circus he came from by ginger, is forced against his will into verbally teaching the hens to fly. He agrees, yet harbours a dark secret. To worsen matters, the head of the farm, the highly-ambitious and Sociopathic melisha tweedy, Willard's domineering and business-minded wife, has lofty aspirations of becoming a wealthy pie-manufacturer, and without a shred of empathy, intends on turning the entire flock into pie filler. Time is ticking, and the hens MUST learn to fly, before their goose is cooked. Assisting them are two hilarious rats, nick and fetcher. Nick is intelligent and suave, fetcher is slightly unhinged and mentally distant, yet they eagerly help the hens, in exchange for seed, and if they are expected to work Harder than usual, then they demand eggs. The characters all have depth, quirks, and it is shown through their actions, not just sitting around and blabbing exposition. The animation is very aesthetic, allowing for a lot of well- timed slapstick and hilarious eggs-xpressions.

Enjoyable

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
26 January 2017

Chicken Run (2000)

Plot In A Paragraph: Set in Yorkshire, England in 1950's. A bunch of chickens are facing certain death on the Tweedy's Chicken Farm. They constantly try to escape, but always fail. When an American Rooster named Rocky (Gibson) falls into their farm, they are given new hope.

This movie seems to have been forgot about over the years, but these days I'd rather watch something original like this, than sit through endless car chases and shoot outs held together by a dim witted plot in another Fast & Furious movie.

I really like this movie, it is funny, clever, sweet, tender and touching. It's not just about hitting a few plot points to get to the big escape!! It surprisingly has a decent amount of character development, and at the end I knew if had a good time.

Chicken Run was another $100 million grosser for Gibson, as it ended the year with $106 million at the domestic box office to finish the year as the 20th highest grossing movie of 2000.

I've Never Heard so Many Poultry Puns

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
10 January 2017

I would say it's a hoot, but it's about chickens, and a cluck just doesn't do it. In this masterwork of modern claymation, a flock of chickens realize that their World War II concentration camp setting is going result in all of them becoming dinner. Along comes Mel Gibson as a chicken (I suppose after saving the Colonies in "The Patriot" he needed other things to do. Anyway, the chickens are soon empowered to try to save themselves with the help of Mel. They become industrious. They already have some pretty amazing anthropomorphic talents, but trying to escape has not been one of them. They are ruled over by the Tweedys, a clumsy husband and wife team who start to realize what is happening. Because they are not doing well in the egg business, they buy a pie machine with the thought of butchering their animals and making them into pies. So the chips are down. Great animation and a really interesting premise.

Aardman's second-best production, after The Wrong Trousers

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 December 2016

CHICKEN RUN is a pretty decent feature-length animation from Aardman, directed by WALLACE & GROMIT creator Nick Park. I found it only second to THE WRONG TROUSERS in terms of quality, as for the most part this is a funny, action-packed tale with a decent storyline and effective larger than life characters.

The story is about a bunch of chickens hoping to escape from a chicken farm and the American rooster that comes by and helps them. It doesn't sound like much on paper - your typical kid's production in fact - but in terms of execution this is a piece of visual excellence. I particularly loved all of the references to WW2 prisoner of war films, most notably THE GREAT ESCAPE, which alone kept me watching.

The story isn't too kiddified and some of the jokes are pleasingly mature. There's a little too much random slapstick but the American influence is low and the film has a strong British feel and sense of humour. The cast members acquit themselves very well with the material, and even shoehorned-in Mel Gibson is a fine choice for the lead. In the end, Nick Park's tireless work pays off here, and the result is that rarity: a modern-day children's film I can enjoy time and again.

A pen of chickens, desperate for escape and running out of options are given a new hope when a flying American rooster lands in their coup.

Author: ATEreviews from United Kingdom
12 September 2016

Filmed entirely using Claymation technology (the same style used for the Wallace and Gromit animations), gave Chicken Run a different feel to your usual animated movie. The animation certainly isn't to everybody's taste, it doesn't look as impressive or as polished as standard animation but for me it wasn't a problem, within a few minutes I was completely used to it and barely noticed it to be different from then on.

An almost all English cast worked well for the movie with the only American being Mel Gibson, playing Rocky the Rooster. This created the opportunity for the chickens to look up to the Rooster as some sort of celebrity, a foreigner who was like something they had never seen before.

There are many references to great British movies through the film, some of which I picked up on and others which I have read of since watching it. Chicken Run does have a strong British feel to it, however I can't help but feel that just the inclusion of one American character made it feel a little too American. Mel Gibson stood out like a sore thumb, now I'm not saying he didn't fit the part and play a vital role, I just think that some of the jokes and amateur dramatics would have been better suited to the movie if they were a little less Americanized.

On the most part the comedy is fresh and I found myself laughing on several occasions. It's a feel good flick; it's as simple as that. Its relatively predictable and plays out containing all the clichés you would expect from a movie of this genre.

Overall, It isn't a perfect movie and I don't feel it contains any real wow factor and it misses the mark on any real emotion in my opinion. However the casting is done well enough, the jokes hit the mark on the most part, the animation is impressive when you consider the effort it must have taken to produce it and it is a decent way to pass the time on a rainy Sunday Afternoon, as I did.

Barnyard Escapees

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
23 October 2014

A cute comedy drama film about barnyard escapees! The film *almost* has a film noir look and feel about it similar to an old black and white crime-thriller. Maybe the filmmakers did in fact make this movie a subtle film noir deliberately due the nature of this film or maybe it's just my perception.

I was able to bust-a-gut laughing at times during this movie - other times the movie felt like a good animated drama playing out on the screen. It does have an air of suspense and mystery about it so it's not your typical animated comedy.

This film is definitely worth watching if you liked flicks like 'Madagascar', 'Monsters, Inc.' or 'Antz' 9/10

Morbid, yet surprisingly adventurous and comedic

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
16 September 2014

Ginger is a chicken in a small egg farm, where the two owners, rather harmless, bumbling Mr. Tweedy and cruel, sadistic Mrs. Tweedy are strict and quick to butcher any hen who doesn't make the quota each day. When Mrs. Tweedy discovers an ad for a new system that makes mass-produced meat pies, the greedy couple realize that if they use the chickens for food rather than eggs, they'll pay their bills faster and can afford more. Ginger and her friends have all become very depressed, knowing that their fate is coming sooner than later... until a rooster from the Untied States who escaped from the circus lies to Ginger about being able to fly, giving the hens a small ray of hope. With the help of two rats, the well-meaning rooster tries to teach every hen to fly... will the group make it out of the Tweedy farm alive? Chicken Run may not have been intended for children. It shows in detail the slow-killing machines within a factory farming system, shows a hen being decapitated, all sorts of disturbing scenes that may be more for adults who want to know about the cruelty of factory farming. For anyone who doesn't know, factory farming is using farm animals (cows, chickens, pigs, geese, etc.) in cruel, uncomfortable and unsanitary conditions. These animals rarely, if ever, get exposed to the outdoors, and when they are killed for food it often involves processes that kill the animals slowly, leaving them suffering from anywhere between seconds to an hour or so before they pass away completely. I'm not one of those P.E.T.A. activists or anything, but killing any sentient being in a sadistic way seems wrong.

The animation in Chicken Run was very different, animated by the British company that released Flushed Away and Wallace & Gromitt. The soundtrack wasn't exactly the type of music I'd listen to while driving to work but it was certainly catchy, and the voice cast was well-chosen. It has one or two crude humor jokes but is otherwise very funny without the use of them, and it's funny to watch the Tweedy Couple as the hens fight back for freedom. Still, it's hard not to feel sorry for Mr. Tweedy, who doesn't really enjoy harming the chickens, when he lets his wife get squashed to death because he was sick of her constant abuse and greed.

What ever happened to movies like this? These days it's garbage like Frozen (2013) and The Hunger Games (2012), that's popular, it's incredibly annoying. If you really want to see something original, have a love for morbid comedy, animal rights, original animation or all of the above, check out this movie!

I appreciate this film more now than before

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
20 May 2014

I remember when this movie first came out, I had the choice of seeing this or "Gladiator" but my friend kept saying he wanted to see "Chicken Run" so we ended up watching this. It's not as good as "Gladiator" but it's still a very watchable movie. What I really liked about this movie is the creative ways the hens tries to escape from the egg farm and the interactions between the characters. It really brings out the classic chemistry and dialogues that actually made me sort of care about the cause. Maybe because it subtly makes references to other classic movies. The message might come off as subtle to some, but I liked the message of breaking through the barrier and the comfort zone for something more in life. Mel Gibson as Rocky the rooster didn't really add all the much to the core of the story in my opinion. But for a stop-motion animated comedy. This might movie like a reviewer said might be slow for some kids, including me when I first saw this. But it's still a movie that the whole audiences can enjoy.

7.8/10