IMDb > Chicken Run (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chicken Run

Chicken Run More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 36: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Funniest movie of 2000?

Author: Judy Renee Pope (coyote@spookhouse.net) from suburban Maryland
17 June 2000

One word should suffice: brilliant. I confess, I had some questions as to whether Nick Park and company could pull off a feature length film, but after Saturday's sneak preview I realize my doubts were in error, and Aardman Animations are the masters of whatever length they chose to take on. Even with the showing interrupted halfway through by a lightning storm that knocked out the power, set off the fire alarm, and caused a 30 minute evacuation of the building, this was the best movie going experience I've had in a long time. Hysterical, gags timed down to the split second, and so many movie in-jokes that you need a scorecard, this is one film that's worth repeated viewings. Sheer perfection in clay.

--judy renee--

A lovingly created masterpiece

Author: Josef Tura-2 from Washington DC
17 June 2000

I throughly enjoyed Chicken Run. I have not seen a more detailed, humorous, dramatic and downright joyful film in a blue moon: unendingly clever, appropriately cute but not cutesy, entertaining without pandering - eventually truly moving.

As I left the special showing, the management asked me if I enjoyed the movie. As I wasn't able to condense my thoughts, I only said "really good". But after time to think about it, I believe that Chicken Run is a rare film that can be many things to many separate people. For children it is a rousing adventure, for movie buffs it is a witty tribute to dozens of classics, for teens and adults it is an engaging story with shameless puns and innuendo, for lovers of animation it is the best big screen clay animation ever released. Kudos to the cast and crew and to Dreamwork

Aardmann - a collection of creative, funny people

Author: pwoodall
17 June 2000

With Aardmann animations, the audience is virtually guaranteed to be given a very unique filmic experience.

CHICKEN RUN is no exception. CHICKEN RUN is certainly the most standard, "mainstream," "American-Hollywoodish" Aardmann production to date, but I am in no way trying to imply that it's run-of-the-mill. All I am saying is that it does not possess the subtle, at times barely perceptible humour of WALLACE AND GROMIT. W+G episodes are only about half an hour long, whereas C:R-1 is about one and a half hours long; watching an hour and 20 minutes of WALLACE AND GROMIT might put people to sleep, and 25 minutes of CHICKEN RUN would probably upset a lot of people. In any case, CHICKEN RUN works extremely well. Very funny, highly inventive stuff!

Great movie for family and kids of all ages.

Author: viperf117a (viperf117a@yahoo.com) from St.Louis, MO
28 June 2004

Chicken Run directed by Peter Lord and Rick Park was an inspiring and movingly funny movie that would catch and keep the attention of almost any cartoon loving, popcorn eating couch potato. The plot of the movie was sit in a world war two like concentration, labor camp where the majority of labor was simply laying enough eggs to stay alive. The major objective of the egg laying coup were to avoid the chopping block while trying to formulate, and execute an escape plan not for just one chicken but for all. Using everything at their disposal, collective intelligence, bargaining and team work the Chicken Run story demonstrates the importance of persistence, team work, ingenuity and a little luck to change their surroundings while simply trying to get to the other side. I really liked this move and the comedy Nick and Fletcher the mouse equivalent of Dumb and Dumber brought to this movie and of course Ginger whom at times seemed very blond.

Finger lickin' good

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
28 April 2004

CHICKEN RUN (2000) *** (Voices: Julia Sawalha, Mel Gibson, Miranda Richardson, Jane Horrocks, Timothy Spall, Phil Daniels, Tony Haygarth, Imelda Staunton, Benjamin Whitrow) Cult animated filmmakers Nick Park and Peter Lord make their first feature length spectacle in a very funny take on escape-from-prison yarns a la 'Stalag 17' and 'The Great Escape' but this time with a flock of plucky British chickens 'imprisoned' in a farm run by the bloodless Malisha Tweedy (Richardson) whose business takes a turn for their worse: custom made frozen chicken pies (!) Led by the determined hen Ginger (Sawalha) and several doomed attempts to break free their (would-be) savior lands at their feet in the form of 'flying' American rooster Rocky (Gibson, gleefully having a ball) who isn't exactly what he appears to be.

Wildly inventive in its Rube Golbergian execution of plotting and production design all come off seemingly effortlessly in their pain-staking stop-motion animation with their trademark of likable characters in difficult situations on a universal appeal overall.

Great fun for young and old alike.

Barnyard Escapees

Author: Rainey-Dawn from United States
23 October 2014

A cute comedy drama film about barnyard escapees! The film *almost* has a film noir look and feel about it similar to an old black and white crime-thriller. Maybe the filmmakers did in fact make this movie a subtle film noir deliberately due the nature of this film or maybe it's just my perception.

I was able to bust-a-gut laughing at times during this movie - other times the movie felt like a good animated drama playing out on the screen. It does have an air of suspense and mystery about it so it's not your typical animated comedy.

This film is definitely worth watching if you liked flicks like 'Madagascar', 'Monsters, Inc.' or 'Antz' 9/10

Morbid, yet surprisingly adventurous and comedic

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks (gasmaskproductionsbooks@gmail.com) from Canada
16 September 2014

Ginger is a chicken in a small egg farm, where the two owners, rather harmless, bumbling Mr. Tweedy and cruel, sadistic Mrs. Tweedy are strict and quick to butcher any hen who doesn't make the quota each day. When Mrs. Tweedy discovers an ad for a new system that makes mass-produced meat pies, the greedy couple realize that if they use the chickens for food rather than eggs, they'll pay their bills faster and can afford more. Ginger and her friends have all become very depressed, knowing that their fate is coming sooner than later... until a rooster from the Untied States who escaped from the circus lies to Ginger about being able to fly, giving the hens a small ray of hope. With the help of two rats, the well-meaning rooster tries to teach every hen to fly... will the group make it out of the Tweedy farm alive? Chicken Run may not have been intended for children. It shows in detail the slow-killing machines within a factory farming system, shows a hen being decapitated, all sorts of disturbing scenes that may be more for adults who want to know about the cruelty of factory farming. For anyone who doesn't know, factory farming is using farm animals (cows, chickens, pigs, geese, etc.) in cruel, uncomfortable and unsanitary conditions. These animals rarely, if ever, get exposed to the outdoors, and when they are killed for food it often involves processes that kill the animals slowly, leaving them suffering from anywhere between seconds to an hour or so before they pass away completely. I'm not one of those P.E.T.A. activists or anything, but killing any sentient being in a sadistic way seems wrong.

The animation in Chicken Run was very different, animated by the British company that released Flushed Away and Wallace & Gromitt. The soundtrack wasn't exactly the type of music I'd listen to while driving to work but it was certainly catchy, and the voice cast was well-chosen. It has one or two crude humor jokes but is otherwise very funny without the use of them, and it's funny to watch the Tweedy Couple as the hens fight back for freedom. Still, it's hard not to feel sorry for Mr. Tweedy, who doesn't really enjoy harming the chickens, when he lets his wife get squashed to death because he was sick of her constant abuse and greed.

What ever happened to movies like this? These days it's garbage like Frozen (2013) and The Hunger Games (2012), that's popular, it's incredibly annoying. If you really want to see something original, have a love for morbid comedy, animal rights, original animation or all of the above, check out this movie!

I appreciate this film more now than before

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
20 May 2014

I remember when this movie first came out, I had the choice of seeing this or "Gladiator" but my friend kept saying he wanted to see "Chicken Run" so we ended up watching this. It's not as good as "Gladiator" but it's still a very watchable movie. What I really liked about this movie is the creative ways the hens tries to escape from the egg farm and the interactions between the characters. It really brings out the classic chemistry and dialogues that actually made me sort of care about the cause. Maybe because it subtly makes references to other classic movies. The message might come off as subtle to some, but I liked the message of breaking through the barrier and the comfort zone for something more in life. Mel Gibson as Rocky the rooster didn't really add all the much to the core of the story in my opinion. But for a stop-motion animated comedy. This might movie like a reviewer said might be slow for some kids, including me when I first saw this. But it's still a movie that the whole audiences can enjoy.

7.8/10

I love this film!!!

Author: user-899-439919 from United Kingdom
17 January 2014

I would say this movies genre is animated and a comedy because it's animated and a comedy because it's funny.

I would have to rate this 9 stars because it's really funny and i like chickens.

The dialogue is really good and funny. The story is very well put together because it's about a bunch of chickens who are trying to get of off a farm. My favourite part of the movie is when all the chickend ar trying to learning how to fly. There's this evil farmer who bullies her husband because he's dumb. There is some action.

Yum yum chicken pie!!!! I like chickens!

I would definitely recommend this to all the family. Great fun and not boring.

Prison Break chicken style

Author: SnoopyStyle
3 November 2013

It's a prison escape picture Aardman style for chickens. It's done by people well versed in all those WWII prison escape movies. Movie lovers will understand all the references, but it works just as well for young kids.

Ginger (Julia Sawalha) is constantly trying to escape the chicken egg farm of the Tweedys. She fails every time and yet she keeps trying. One day young Yank rooster Rocky (Mel Gibson) comes flying in. Ginger needs Rocky's help to spring all the chickens from the farm.

Sure it's funny. Sure it's a crazy spoof of those prison escape movies. But it's actually quite thrilling. The movie really builds suspense as we hope that they get away. It's a fine addition to the Aardman family.