IMDb > Chicken Run (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chicken Run

Chicken Run More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 37: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Poultry In Motion

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
22 December 2001

This movie was a sheer joy to watch the first time, so much so that I have watched it many times since. The magic it has, left a great impression on me. The creators of the famous ‘Wallace and Gromit' series have made a real winner, a movie suitable for all ages, I guarantee it!

While the chickens on evil Mrs Tweedy's farm dream of a better life, a clever hen named Ginger is hatching plans to fly the coop – for good! The only problem is that chickens can't fly… or can't they? Every escape attempt goes fowl until Rocky, a smooth talking All-American rooster, crash lands into the coop. It's hardly poultry in motion when Rocky attempts to teach Ginger and her fine feathered friends to fly… but, with teamwork, determination and a little bit o' cluck, the fearless flock plots one last daring attempt in a spectacular bid for freedom!

Where do you start with this wonderful movie. Undoubtedly the story is fantastic. The people who thought up the wonderful script for Chicken Run deserve a round of applause, because it was great. A story about a coop of chickens trying to escape from an evil chicken farm was superb. In addition some of the quotes that were said throughout the film were hilarious, and make me laugh every time I watch it .

This leads me to the great performances by the voiceovers in Chicken Run. My favourite character would have to be Rocky ‘the Rhode Island Red' Rooster, and his voice was supplied by Hollywood superstar Mel Gibson. He did such a great job as Rocky, and made me laugh many times. I recently saw Gibson in What women want, and no wonder they used his voice in this film, because Rocky and Gibson have the similar personality and traits. Rocky's entrance cry of ‘Freedommm' is unforgettable. Yet other character such as chickens Ginger (Julia Sawalia), Fowler (Benjamin Whitrow), Babs (Jane Horrocks), Mac (Lynn Ferguson), The rats Nick (Timothy Spall) and Fetcher (Phil Daniels) and the Tweedy's (Miranda Richardson and Tony Haygarth) were all done to perfection. In fact, if Rocky was not in the film, then the Rats would be my favourites, with some of the silly things they say and do. Watch the credits right through, because there is an hilarious piece of dialogue between the two of them, which had me in stitches.

Yet this movies also deals with some very complex ideologies. Liberals would absolutely love this film for the references to freedom, the individual and being able to do whatever a person wants, or in this case what a chicken wants. The strongest characters with these traits would have to be Rocky and Ginger. Yet Conservatism also appears heavily in Chicken Run. The character of Fowler is very much stuck in his conservative ways, always referring to how it was done in his RAF days, his medals and traditional stories. Moreover, Mr Tweedy states to Mrs Tweedy that they can not give up egg farming, because of his previous generations doing the same tradition. However, socialism also appears in this movie. Socialists believe that people should live in a classless society, with everyone working together. Chicken Run also put this into practices, when the coop attempts the big escape, by working as a team.

The directors of Chicken Run, Nick Park and Peter Lord did a great job on Chicken Run, as did all the people behind the scenes. The people who made all the characters for this film did a wonderful job. Making this plasticine, into a real life character amazed me. In addition, learning that that 40 people worked individually on 2.5 seconds of frame work per day for two years, makes this film all the more of an achievement. Hopefully Lord and Park can make more movies like this one, because they did this one to perfection.

The soundtrack in this film was also very impressive. The musical tunes made the right impression at the right time, along with some great songs as well. Songs such as Flip Flop and Fly (Ellis Hall) and The Wanderer (Dion) fitted in nicely. The use of the song ‘Flip Flop and Fly' was excellent.

So overall, Chicken Run can only be given praise. All the hard work done to bring to the movie to the big screen is enough in my book. Yet the story, the humour and the great voiceovers are all superb. I have read some comments about Chicken Run, saying that it is just for kids, I disagree whole heartedly.This is the sort of animation film that anyone can enjoy. Try not to be too critical of Chicken Run, instead enjoy the experience, because if you can not enjoy this film then you have no sense of humour in my view. People with DVD access, take a look at one impressive package.

Rating: 10/10 or 5 Eggs (it was eggcelent!)

Fowl movie about chickens

Author: (verhaers@aol.com) from Palos Park, IL USA
22 December 2001

Now I wonder who would want to watch a movie with chickens in it. But it is still a good film. I give it 9 out of 10 stars. And there are villians in this movie. Which are owners of a chicken farm in England (I guess). And the chickens make attempt after attempt to escape. Enter a dishonest rooster named Rocky (Mel Gibson). And the leader of the chickens named Ginger (Julia Sawalha) decides that he will be the ticket out of the tweedy's farm. After seeing a poster with his pitcure on it. While Mr. Tweedy (Tony Haygrath) finds the chickens trying to escape. But his wife Mrs. Tweedy (Miranda Richardson) doesn't belive him. Ginger decided that the way out is that Rocky teachs the chickens to fly. But Mrs. Tweedy decides to take Tweedy's farm out of the dark ages and make chicken pies. Is this movie funny? Why did this get a G rating when other Dreamworks movie got a PG rating like Shrek.

Fun for All Ages

Author: gbheron from Washington, DC
8 December 2001

"Chicken Run" represents the height of stop-motion animation. It's amazing stuff, and considering the amount of labor that goes into making stop-motion features, I stand in awe. And "Chicken Run" is not just for kids and geeks. Adults as well as kids will enjoy the story, a suspenseful account of the repeated attempts by a barnyard of chickens to escape their coops before they are processed into chicken pies. They're led by a plucky young chicken, and aided by a rooster on the lam from the circus. Not deep, but the drama as well as the humor is skillfully maintained throughout. Disney would approve. For a family-oriented Saturday night rental "Chicken Run" hits the mark.

Suspense for ages 4-100

Author: Janita Dusbee from Weert
8 November 2001

As I left the cinema right after seeing this movie, I thought: who could think of doing this with chickens? Nevertheless I think it's a nice movie. It's suitable for both young and old people. If you ever get the change of seeing it, go for it, since it is more than origional. Even Mel Gibson's voice adds something extra to the plot.

DELIGHTFULLY ENTERTAINING

Author: aliveandblessed from SHREVE, OH
2 November 2001

My family thoroughly enjoyed Chicken Run. It was delightfully funny and surprisingly well-written.

It is nice to sit down and watch something so entertaining and not be faced with blood, gore, and foul language. I would love to see more movies made in this manor.

Chicken-face

Author: Roman0 (rtan_2000@sina.com) from China
20 October 2001

It's really fun! Not only the chickens themselves, but human beings in this animation picture, looks like the animated chickens! With their noses to be the counterpart for chickens beaks. But anyway, there is still the eternal slogan in American movies, also their national motto: "Freedom". Like that in 'Brave Heart'.

not only for kids

Author: Roman0 (rtan_2000@sina.com) from China
20 October 2001

There's a lot of fun in it, one thing is that the 'human beings' in this animation picture, all look like chickens! Only Americans can make animation movies so maturely a motion picture. Not at all a movie to teas the kids, except that the funny figures can attract them a lot. But the chicken's crying of 'freedom' make you think what? 'Brave Heart' for me. This is an eternal slogan for all, admit it or not.

Excellent claymation.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
14 March 2001

I was really surprised by Chicken Run. I was expecting some dumb kids movie that tried in vain to be as good as other animated classics like Toy Story, but this was a really good film. The story involves a bunch of heavily accented chickens who are trying desperately to learn how to fly so that they can escape the chicken farm where they live, and therefore escape being butchered and made into chicken pot pies.

One of the best things about this movie is the great laughs that it delivers, particularly from the dialogue as this diverse group of chickens communicates with each other about their predicament (`Chickens go in, pies come out!' `Oooohh!! What kind ‘a pies?'). Mel Gibson is great as the voice of Rocky the Rooster, who inadvertently landed himself in the pen with the other desperate chickens, therefore accidentally convincing them that he can fly.

(spoilers) Rocky and the rest of the chickens work desperately to escape the evil Mrs. Tweedy and her pie-making machine, as well as Rocky's dishonesty with the other chickens, particularly Ginger, with whom he develops a heartwarming romance. The chickens' eventual escape is ridiculously unrealistic, but it doesn't matter, because it doesn't have to be realistic. The main characters of the film are talking chickens, I think that a flying machine built and flown by chickens is not going too far, given the type of film that this is. The makers of Wallace and Gromit have come up with another winner, and it's good for the whole family.

Superb animation classic!

Author: pizzapooch-2 from England
9 December 2000

"Chicken Run" is one of those films that adults don't want to admit they enjoyed, because it's animated, and is mainly aimed at kids. In the wake of the three "Wallace & Gromit" shorts, NIck Park has created a painstaking recreation of life on a farm in 1940's England. Mixing slapstick humour, off-the-cuff "adult content", (that 99% of kids won't understand, but will wet the pants of every viewer over 18), and the documentary realism of his earlier work "Creature Comforts", this movie is simply stunning! Quirky, sharp, and even poignant, it simply begs to be watched time and time again. Ideal for young and old alike, but with a definite plus factor, for those at the senior end of the age range! Be warned however, that some relatively coarse language has been let through, and may not be entirely appropriate for the younger members of your family! Oh, and keep an eye right through the end credits, or you'll miss a fabulously sly joke! A guaranteed cracker!

Superb entertainment.

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
8 December 2000

Chicken Run is a brilliant example of figure animation, in fact the best example you will ever see. The makers Peter Lord and Nick Park deserve another oscar( they already have two!)for this because this is just superb. The story revolves around a group of chickens who are trying to escape from a farm lead by a dopy farmer and his overbearing wife. If the Chickens do not produce eggs they are for the chop! Then along comes a circus performing rooster who misleads the chickens into believing that he can fly hence raising their hopes of an escape. This is all set around the theme of the 1960's film "The Great Escape".

It is an adventure, a comedy and a love story all in one and the most amazing thing is they are all plasticine figures!! Mel Gibson,Jane Horrocks and Phil Daniels are just some of the stars who provide the voices. 9 out of 10.