IMDb > Chicken Run (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chicken Run

Chicken Run More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Should have made a Wallace & Gromit movie instead

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
23 December 2000

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Nick Park's major hollywood movie debut proves to be nowhere near as endearing as his television counterparts.At around this time of year,we should be seeing selected episodes of the clay animated duo Wallace & Gromit appearing on our TV screens,and a contrieved feature length tale of their's would seem more enjoyable than this strangely mellow story.It seems to be aimed more at the kiddy market,and lacks the subtle, cheerable edge that made one man and his dog such a willing success.Despite this though,it's just as clear here as on TV that in each of his animated projects,Park let's his Yorkshire English roots shine through,with scenes featuring those unmistakable jammie dodgers/cream biscuits that are renowned for coming from that part of England,plus you also see one of those distinctive '50's billboards that alerts Rocky to his old friend's impending demise.It's just strangely not as fun to watch as the aforementioned Park project.***

Great. one of the best animated kid films in years

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
18 June 2000

Chicken Run is a film that has come from Aardman studios, which has made some classic (Oscar winning) shorts, including Wallace and Gromit. Now, after a 5 year absence, they return with a actual full length feature. What's so amazing: It's entirely claymation, which means each shot had to take time to move each character and so on. The film itself is great. The plot tells the story of Tweedy's farm, which holds some very anxious chickens, who want to escape before Tweedy (voiced by Miranda Richardson) makes them all into pies. But, a lone rooster (voiced by Mel Gibson) comes to they're rescue in a hilarious tale of freedom and chickens. Great fun, mainly for the kids, but parents will also like the puns that come along. Amazing animation makes me wonder if their should be a Oscar category for best animated film (and if this is this years prize winner). A+

Great Family Entertainment!

Author: Jean Palmer from United Kingdom
22 March 2012

A first-rate family film that will delight young and old alike. This film has all the humor, excitement, action, craziness, and something for every member of the family.

Superb stop-motion animation PLUS a hilarious, exciting and heartwarming story...what more could you ask for? If you liked "Toy Story," you're gonna love "Chicken Run." The voice casting couldn't be better and really adds to making the (mostly chicken) characters endearing and fall-down funny. This is truly one of the best non-Disney family films ever made. Get the DVD when you get the chance!

8 stars!!

Great Film!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
1 October 2011

I remember see this in theaters when I was nine years old and I loved it very much. Eleven years later, I got another chance to see it and I loved it about the same because it brought back some fresh childhood memories.

The plot is about a group of chickens who plan to escape the chicken compound they live in before their human owners turn them into chicken pot pies.

Surprisingly, I never really knew which actors voiced each character until I saw the credits. I was kind of surprised to see Mel Gibson was here. But now that I think about it, I do recognize his voice in the movie.

Overall, this was plenty of fun to watch. I don't know if this deserves a G rating though. It may be scary for young kids. I rate this film a 9/10.

" Your dad wouldn't happen to have been a Vulture, was he? "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
4 August 2009

In 1963 the late Steve McQueen starred in the immortal film, The Great Escape." Anyone who has seen it, will recall with great admiration the steadfast courage it took for the allied prisoners to continue to keep trying to escape, despite so many failed attempts. This movie " Chicken Run " is a Comedic reminder that courage is often the basis for other characters to be seen in that heroic light. Mel Gibson is the easily recognized voice behind 'Rocky' the flying rooster who believed he had escaped from the rigors of a performing circus. Unfortunately, his escape brings him to a chicken farm where he discovers Ginger, a egg laying hen who's trying to find freedom for all of her friends. The problem is Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy (Tony Haygarth and Miranda Richardson) are planning to convert their egg farm into a Chicken Pot Pie producing industry. Since they plan on modernizing their place, Ginger demands that Rocky teach the chicken how to fly before the transition. A delightful film for young and old alike. Easilly recommended for anyone seeking family entertainment. ****

Just hilarious!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 May 2009

Chicken Run is a hilarious movie, and I will apologise profusely, because there was a long time when I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now. The animation is spot on, and I advice anybody who likes this see anything else from Nick Park like Wallace and Gromit. There are some great British humour like "I don't want to be in a pie- I don't like gravy!" The characters like the two mice are genuinely memorable, and Mrs Tweedy is really evil, especially when voiced by the talented Miranda Richardson. (who they wasted in the animated version of King and I)The voice talents are wonderful- I know people had problems with Mel Gibson as Rocky, but he was not that bad at all. Julia Sawalha, Jane Horrocks, Phil Daniels, Tony Haygarth et al, enthusiastically bring their characters to life, with an irreverent and touching story, that cleverly sends up classics such as The Great Escape. The incidental music was lovely to hear, very dynamic. There are some truly priceless scenes, like Rocky teaching the chickens to fly, the scene with Ginger and Rocky in the pie-making machine and the scene where the chickens are dancing to the song that you hear in the end-credits. I don't have a favourite character as such, but I loved Fowler. All in all, a funny movie, and yet another triumph from Nick Park, that I have started to appreciate a lot more. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Is it just me, or is this movie just brilliant?

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
23 February 2007

Perfect fun story, perfect fun characters and perfect fun jokes. How could someone not love this movie?.

Best way to describe this movie is "The Great Escape" with chickens. It sounds silly and of course the movie also is just that. It perfectly and amusingly spoofs classic prison camp movies, most notably of course "The Great Escape" and "Stalag 17". Yet the movie knows to become more than just a spoof and it creates its own identity, with its own humor and other strong points.

The biggest power of the movie is that is intendedly ridiculously made made, with silly looking characters and lets face it, also a silly story but everything is yet made very seriously. The contrast of that makes this movie work out very amusing, hilarious and also most definitely exciting. The two big action sequences form the highlights of the movie. It are sequences any other normal serious action would be jealous of.

The movie is really great looking. This was the movie that introduced claymation to the main stream audience. Quite amazing once you start thinking about how this movie is made, purely with the use of clay and stop motion effects. This movie definitely raised the bar for future claymation projects. The characters are fun animated and look really over-the-top. The look gives every characters its very own identity and personality.

The characters are all great ones. Especially the villainous and human characters of the movie Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy are great. Mrs. Tweedy is an excellent deliciously over-the-top and stereotypical movie villain, perfectly voiced by Miranda Richardson. Also all of the chickens are highly amusing and originally brought to the screen, with Mel Gibson and Julia Sawalha as the voices of the two main characters.

The humor is fun and understandable for kids but especially great for the adults. It's the subtitle of all of the humor that really makes this movie such an hilarious one. So yes, I can recommend this movie to the kids but I can perhaps even recommend it more to the adults who perhaps even more shall enjoy watching this movie. This movie is irresistible to watch for everyone.

The story is kept simple so it always remain understandable and the movie easy and pleasant to follow. It all is done in a good quick pace with some nimble editing and good camera-work.

The musical score from Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell, who already did some great work together on the other animated movie from DreamWorks "Antz", is just brilliant. It's so totally brilliant and action like spectacular and uplifting for the entire movie, that it again is in contrast with the silly aspects of the movie. It in a way makes the musical score also hilarious, just because it's so brilliant.

It all makes the movie simply nothing short of brilliant as well as extremely entertaining.

The movie that made me fall in love with Aardman Animations.

A Chicken's Quest for Freedom

Author: mjw2305 from England
29 December 2006

This beautifully animated movie is both charming and hilarious. It explores an age old concept of the quest for freedom using chickens trapped in a pen as the setting for the tale, and they are all given individual personalities by the excellent voices from the likes of 'Mel Gibson, Jane Horrocks and Julia Sawalha'

Their life on Tweedy's farm is heading for a huge turn for the worse when Mrs Tweedy 'Miranda Richardson' has a better idea of how to make money. Their only hope is Rocky 'Mel Gibson' a Rooster who knows the way out, if only he hadn't broken his wing.

Chicken Run is fresh, clever and very very funny, and it is a must see movie for all the family.

enjoyable chicken film

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
24 December 2006

*possible spoilers*.

An enjoyable easy to watch film that focuses on a group of chickens who wish to escape the claustrophobic area of their chicken farm to live in the outside world.

Through animation the film conforms to the 'family' easy to watch together film genre and the effects are simply stunning. 4 years in the making Chicken run provides stunning animation through the clay characters and the makers of Wallace and Gromit really worked well over 4 years to complete this likable fun packed comedy.

There are different types of chicken, all destined to be funny which I found they were. The stereotyped organised wanting chicken in Ginger, the noble and show off central character Rocky, the geek stereotype in Mac (Whom I loved!) the dopey fat chicken in Babs and the evil chicken farm owner was also a great villain. Having a variety in characters allows for audience expectations and fulfils them completely to justify a diverse choice of opinion in the chicken actions e.g. how are they going to get over the fence. The film adds excitement and suspense as it engages audiences to expect an enthralling challenge to see how the chickens will overcome the many obstacles they face.

The story is fast moving for an animation to add to the excitement. As the characters all have a goal in mind there is a real drive and determination about this film.

Conventional, predictable and coincidental it maybe the film is targeted towards a more child centred audience and fulfils their expectations completely. Children will love the characters as they act stupidly and look the part to. I loved the humour as well; I believe audiences of all ages can watch this film as it is one of those for enjoyment, one you don't need to get too attached to.

Mel Gibson's character was interesting because he screams freedom during one scene, a line most famous from his role in Braveheart.

I liked this film also because it gives hope and inspiration to the individual, through the use of Ginger mainly who never wants to give up her destiny for a happy life and to be a free chicken.

Watch it if…you love animated good natured inspirational films

Fun, fun and more fun in Chicken Run

Author: patrick_dunne (wingkon@comcast.net) from United States
19 December 2005

If Nick Park knew how to do anything, it was to create a fun family film with funny characters and jokes all around. After all, he is the creator of Wallace and Gromit.

Chicken Run (2004) is Nick Park's latest achievement, and a parody of The Great Escape. It centers on a group of chickens lead by Ginger, who are forced to lay a certain amount of eggs every week, so the farmers may sell them. If they don't fill the quota, they become dinner for the two farmers who own the land and the chickens. When the farmers get a new idea, and decide to speed up business by making chicken pie. Of course, this means that chickens go into the machine, and pies come out. This also means bad news for the chickens. Since Ginger thinks of escaping 24/7, all the other chickens depend on her for a plan. But, since all her plans have failed so far, the chickens are near doomed. Or, it seems that way, until a rooster named Rocky comes "flying" into town. Rocky tries to teach the chickens how to fly, and escape from the farm- that is, if he can fly.

The funny characters with a wonderful cast help and the same wonderful stop-motion animation in Wallace and Gromit are the elements that bring Chicken Run to life. They are used to express funny jokes, that won't exactly leave you howling with laughter, but will manage to exert a chuckle. No, it isn't as funny as we'd like it to be, but some jokes don't hurt anybody, do they? Overall, Chicken Run would most likely be described as "lovable" and "delightful" only because those adjectives are true. What can I say? It's just fun! But, I didn't think it lived up to Nick Park's other creation: Wallace and Gromit.

Good: Fun, lovable, funny, good animation

Bad: I thought it was a bit disappointing.

Feel free to send me a Private Message regarding this comment.