Chicken Run (2000) Poster

(2000)

CR
wth-6017916 February 2018
Chicken Run I have always enjoyed Claymation films and this movie is no exception. I appreciate the time and effort it took to make every scene of this movie. You must give the creators and artists credit for the love they must have had for this movie to be able to create this. One thing that I loved about this movie was how well sound was used. The sounds gave a very realistic feel to the film when in actuality it was a cartoon with a pretty unrealistic premise. I also thought the voice acting was very good and fit in well with the Claymation characters. This provided a good flow to the film. One thing that was very prominent in the film was cutting for continuity. One example of this is when Mr. Tweedy was building the pie machine. The film would cut to different parts of him building and repairing it to show the passage of time without taking time from the story that could be used elsewhere. I enjoyed the premise of the story too. It is very original and when it came out it had not been used very often. When I first watched this film when I was very young enjoyed its comedic elements and fast paced story. Watching it no, as an adult, I enjoy the humor of the jokes and many of the dramatic aspects that I did not quite pick up on as a child. I found that the fast paced story was very easy to follow but and kept the audience entertained, but it was not too fast as to feel rushed and incomplete. Chicken Run had a very Classical Paradigm in that its structure was very simple. This structure is very common in fiction movies and this is prime example. The story follows from the intro and introducing the film through the plot and finally to the climax and closing. One of my favorite scenes was when Rocky was in the pie making machine. In this scene a lot is going on. There is so much motion going on that you would think that you would become distracted and lose focus on the point but because of how it was filmed your eye is always drawn to Rocky and what he is doing. The story of this film may also be paralleled to the concentration camps of World War 2. The chickens representing the Jews and other captives and the Tweedys representing the Nazi's. As the chickens realize that the end is near they must find a way to escape from their oppressors. I believe that what the chickens felt during this film can be paralleled with the feelings of many of those who perished in the camps.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chicken Run is an interesting tale with many elements
evankennedyspaien15 February 2018
The film Chicken Run is a masterpiece of claymation and comedy that provokes emotion and thought. While one would typically assume a light hearted movie about chickens defeating a deluded man who has little control over his life and a mean woman obsessed with profits would have little plot or thought points it is an interesting piece that alludes to world war two and american propaganda. As the story progresses the characters are fleshed out and shown to be a diverse group of individuals that are placed in a hostile concentration camp like world. Where every day is a fight to maintain the morale and hope of others to succeed in a place where only oppression lies.

As the movie develops the viewer understands more and more the hope emotions of these clay chickens attempting to alter their way of life to one that is free of the oppressive regime given to them. With the addition of the American Hero, Rocky we start to see the propagandist type of actions in this film. While the American Hero ideal is disproved the character is still shown to have heart and the ability to save the people demonstrating a satirical view of American ideals and values but still showing how they are able to help others and move past themselves when it is most valuable to others.

On the happier side of this story the characters are unique and fleshed out giving an interesting perspective into each character and how oppression affects the mind. For some people they can't understand how other humans or sentient beings in this case can be so negative and mentally either deny or snap as in the case of the propetuarilly knitting character, Babs. In others it instills the want to escape and take leadership of the rag tag groups of individuals that are all stuck together in this position to attempt to encourage both themselves from the depressing normal fate of this type of society. Some just take what they are given and decide this is what life is meant to be and that they are there for a reason and shouldn't bother to escape or go against their masters. Finally there are those that utilize fear and hope to manipulate others for personal gain as the rats and Rocky initially does. Overall the characters generate an interesting cast filled with psychologically unique and accurate characters while maintaining a humours facade of jokes and non human violence that allows this movie to be able to be enjoyed by both adults and children on different levels of analysis.

In addition to the contents of this movie it was shot extremely well and the attention to detail in this piece drew one in to be able to enjoy this movie. As a story it fulfilled the classic paradigm of a very clear antagonist and protagonist highlighted by color schemes and camera angle to portray these clay creations as realistic and either positive or negative beings. In addition to character development and placement each sequence was filled with motion and thought as the chickens altered from dynamic beings filled with personality to average chickens in an attempt to deceive their masters.

Overall I enjoyed this movie immensely, it gave many possibilities for analysis and for simple enjoyment. As a movie I found that it fulfilled my want to enjoy a nice movie and laugh at the antics of these chickens and the failing plans of the dominating villains but also be able to see into the world if them and enjoy the thought provoking story of people attempting to hide the secrets of their escape from their dominating masters in a analogy to nazism. This paradigm allows for many different consumers to enjoy this movie.
A Blast to Watch
dwr-5717215 February 2018
Outside of being the first full Claymation feature film, Chicken Run doesn't necessarily make of their characters or plot points particularly unique or innovative compared to other fiction movies. From a vague viewpoint, it keeps things pretty standard. However, everything the movie does it does well.

The movie starts with making the main conflict clear: the chickens want to escape; the farmers don't want them to escape. From the beginning, the protagonist and antagonist are established. As the film progresses, so does the tension and the complexity of the situation. A deuteragonist is established, the goals of the farmers change, etcetera. It all ends up building to the climax of the film, where they have to make their great escape.

Ginger is the protagonist; she is easily the most competent chicken and she's the one with the most determination to escape. She is selfless and wants freedom as much for the rest of the chickens as she does for herself.

Rocky is a deuteragonist with both protagonist and antagonist qualities - for the majority of the film he is trying to help the chickens on a face level, but in actuality he's lying about all of his accomplishments. Even though he could have escaped anytime he wanted, he didn't until the night before he would have been shown to the rest of the chickens as a phony. This shows that he liked the praise and feeling like he was helping, even if it was all a lie. By the end, he shows that his heart is in the right place by coming back and saving the day.

Mr. and Ms. Tweedy are the antagonists, with Ms. Tweedy playing as the main antagonist and Mr. Tweedy playing as a dumb sidekick. They try and build a machine to make chicken pies, which backfires on them greatly.

The editing in Chicken Run is very well done. The edits are seamless and there are many different perspectives and angles that all serve good purposes. Like most good editing goes, it's great because it keeps your attention focused by using various subtle techniques.

The script is well written. It blends humor with drama and adventure, and makes a prison break movie starring clay chickens something that's fun to invest your attention into. There is hilarity all throughout the film, whether it be the relationship between Ginger and Rocky, the relationship between Mr. and Ms. Tweedy, the entire existence of Babs, the visual references (Babs knitting a noose comes to mind), or the climax of the film, Chicken Run will keep you laughing throughout. Additionally, as the movie progresses you become legitimately attached to the characters. I found myself rooting for the main characters in this Claymation chicken film more than I have in many 'standard' movies.

With visual gags, solid humor, great editing and a wonderful Claymation art style, Chicken Run is overall a wonderful film. It does a great job at making the story clear and making the movie easy to follow, and it does an even better job of pulling the viewer in and making them interested in the story and the outcome. The Claymation is very well done, and they did a great job of making scenes that are very difficult to pull off look seamless and natural. Furthermore, they also did a great job of making the main characters noticeable from the rest of the chickens. Ginger wears a beanie, Rocky is a rooster, Babs has a unique hairstyle and is always knitting, etcetera. One could argue that it is a simple film, but I would say that it's not so easy to make a simple movie something truly enjoyable to watch. Chicken Run accomplished this and more, making a movie that is 90 minutes of pure fun.
A Wacky but Interesting Watch
pjd-3010615 February 2018
Although I have never been a huge fan of Claymation movies, Chicken Run has become an exception for me. Most of the movie follows a very traditional format, starting with an exposition, when the main character attempts to escape the first time, then accompanied by rising action, including numerous more escape attempts getting closer to their goal each time, until a climax is reached when the chickens escape. Following the climax, falling action and a resolution round out the end of the movie as the farm house blows up after the woman gets stuck in the machine.

Despite its many traditional qualities, this movie is still a good watch. Many unorthodox occurrences draw in viewers attention as the scape attempts grow stranger with each attempt. Another interesting aspect to this movie was the overarching use of classical cutting. This technique took what could've been a very underwhelming film and turned it into a suspenseful family-friendly drama. Numerous instance in the movie display this concept, and in each case, suspense and tension is added to augment the viewers experience. For example, in the very beginning of the movie Ginger, the main character is escaping from the farm. While digging under the fence, in an attempt to provide an escape route for her and her fellow chickens, Mr. Tweedy discovered her. The other chickens scurry back to their pens while Ginger is stuck outside the fence. Immediately after she was spotted, the chase was on. With Mr. Tweedy and his two dogs in hot pursuit the film switches between Ginger's point of view and Mr. Tweedy's. This technique increases the suspense of what otherwise would've been a simple chasing scene. It is the uses of concepts such as this that add to film in ways to augment the viewers experience.

Another interesting facet of this movie is its inter-genre story line. Incorporating pieces from numerous genres allows for a larger audience pool. Mainly utilizing features of comedic and dramatic films, Chicken Run plot uses somewhat comedic concepts to attract the attention of consumers. The wackier the concept, the closer attention will be payed to that scene. As the escape attempts increase in their uniqueness, the tension in watching film builds as viewers eagerly await to see if the attempt succeeds for fails in some extreme manor. In almost all the cases, the attempts would some how fail and result in something comedic rather it was Ginger being placed in solitary confinement again or another chicken falling victim to the growing anger of Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy. The endless suspense adds to the quality of the more making it a very interesting film to view. This property of the may not be a result of specific filming techniques, but I believe it adds to the overall make up of the movie and why it has been successful at the box office.

Perhaps my favorite part of this movie is not any one technique used to augment viewer's experiences, but rather the idea behind the movie. Taking such a simple complex and constructing such a complex movie with many twists and turns requires a lot of talent. As the plot progresses, the wackiness of the movie seems to increase. Starting with simple escape attempt ideas slowly but surely build into a one of a kind homemade flying contraption. Not only is the main idea of the movie strange, a group of chickens wishing to escape the grasp of ruthless farm owners, but each little part of the story adds to its very unique story line. With endless creativity this Claymation has become one of my favorites.
I enjoyed this movie.
jasonbogacz15 February 2018
Chicken run had me engaged and laughing for the entirety of the movie. It was a great film that invited you into the life of chickens on a chicken farm. The innocent humor and Claymation style of the movie can get anyone to laugh and appreciate the film simultaneously. I enjoyed watching the ongoing feud between the chickens and their farmer, Mr. Tweedy, while also watching the ongoing battle of Mr. Tweedy trying to prove to his wife, Mrs. Tweedy that the chickens are organized and smart, however she just thinks he's seeing things. The films detailed Claymation, cinematography, and humorous plot made for a great movie that almost anyone can enjoy. The set and production of Chicken Run is spectacular. From the massive, clay 'concentration camp' layout of the chicken farm, to making dynamic scenes where people in the foreground and background are moving and blinking. I was amazed by the detail and quality of the stop motion work. The film uses many close-up shots that single out one character, making the stop motion process easier, however the filmmakers also used many wide-angle shots of the whole chicken farm, as well as shots of the inside of the chicken coops. Theses shots where extremely impressive because of the immense detail. Adjusting all the characters each frame, to make the movie seem more seamless and real is a painstaking process, and the hard work of Peter Lord and Nick Park shows and should be praised. The directors developed characters very well, dozens of birds had well developed characters throughout the movie. Some tactics that were used to individualize so many different chickens were the morning roll call, and their secret meetings in the bunk houses. These scenes allowed for many different characters to have lines and develop their unique personalities. Aside from the chickens, Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy also had well developed characters, Mr. Tweedy's family was traditionally poor egg farmers, and Mrs. Tweedy was tired of it. Thus, another example of Mrs. Tweedy expressing anger and loathing towards Mr. Tweedy. Ongoing relationships between characters were also points of humor and plot development, for example Rocky and Fowler shared a bunk, and Mr. Tweedy was always catching Ginger trying to escape, and Fetcher and Nick were always trying to get eggs from the chickens. Small interactions like these are tactics for character development and often foreshadowing and plot development. The plot of the film was very consistent and the film had little to no tangents or useless scenes that were away from the plot. The film slowly builds up to the chicken's massive plan to escape the farm, while the owners of the farm had their own agenda to start killing the chickens and making chicken pie. This created a humorous battle between the chickens and Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy. Also on top of that, Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy have their own comedic issues because Mr. Tweedy would always see the chickens scheming and doing humanlike things, but was never able to prove it to Mrs. Tweedy. Resulting in Mrs. Tweedy constantly getting angry at Mr. Tweedy. Although their bickering seemed like a tangent to the overall plot, it was often used as a tactic for plot advancement. Chicken run was a fantastic movie that I would recommend to anyone. It is innocent comedy that will make you smile and keep you engaged. The production quality is incredible, especially for a full-length Claymation film. The directors Peter Lord and Nick Park have set the expectation high for future Claymation films, and have created an amazing example of what is possible with stop motion films.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful Film by all accounts
kalebkronimus15 February 2018
The beginning of the film strongly sets the tone of the rest of the film. Using the first escape attempt to show that the situation of Ginger and her friends as effectively hopeless.

While I could see it being argued that the opening montages are supposed to just instill in us the great idea of hope that they all have. However the way the depict the entire setting shows me that we are to believe that hope is futile and escape is impossible. The very opening shot shows us a very literal prison camp. Anyone who did not know what they were going to watch would be surprised to find out that the grounds with barbed wire, rows of cabins, and a guard with terrifying dogs under the moonlight is actually just a chicken farm, and this lends to the comedic effect in a way but more importantly leaves you with a clear message: leaving is impossible. This gets enforced by the very entertaining montage of escape attempts that follow. The clever use of comedy to distract from the underlying hopelessness the characters face is masterfully done. The best part comes at the end of the first montage when the comedy fades. Suddenly nothing is funny, and a friend of theirs dies as is normal around there. Nothing has changed. For a moment there just isn't something funny to distract you from the gravity of the situation and it is very masterfully done.

The introduction of the character Rocky is both one of my favorite and least favorite moments of the movie. His arrival and the belief of the other chickens that he can fly leads the characters to have hope that as an audience we know is pointless. The chickens believe their situation has changed entirely, but we as an audience know that chickens can't fly and that they have false hope. This works to enforce the previously established message: Escape is impossible. But more importantly it raises tensions. As an audience it is in our nature to root for the protagonist so it causes a kind of stress to work towards something they won't achieve for such a long portion of the movie especially with an approaching deadline of sorts. we are left wondering "How will they escape?" because we desperately want to believe that they can and will escape. This build in tension is wonderful and effective, but is also slow taking roughly half the time of the movie in total. When it reaches its peak during Ginger and Rocky's escape scene within the pie machine we are left in a rift of sorts. With Rocky having left the next morning and all the chickens fighting we are feeling the same hopelessness as Ginger in that moment where we question if they can actually escape. And then my favorite part of the film is the race that follows. After all the previous tension built and was released we are now faced with this race against the clock. It has the same effect as the previous tension building section but occuring in a third of the time. And more importantly unlike the beginning of the film most of this new plan of the chickens being carried out occurred in sunlight filling the scene with bright colors and hope drawing on the power of mise-en-scène to affect how we perceive the events. And of course from there the film follows the usual steps of any classical story with a climax, etc.

Now I mentioned that Rocky's appearance in the film also highlighted my least favorite aspect of the film, and that aspect is an out of place romance. The character of Rocky is a typical masculine roll in charge, aloof, and confident. He is also uncomfortable with how assertive and in charge Ginger prefers to be. This is an archaic trope for films to have an in charge female character who will be "Tamed" and/or "put in her place" by a man and somehow that is romance. I won't fault Chicken Run for including the specific trope it is nearly twenty years old now however having a romance in general feels like a mistake. It was out of place with all the other themes. Missing the necessary elements to be a romantic comedy which requires the focus of the film to be on the two romanticized characters. It also seems contrary with the characterization and actions of the character himself. Rocky having done a lot of wrong and a little right came far from redeeming himself completely, and it all ended with a romance that felt wedged in between other great movie elements.

Overall Chicken Run is a wonderfully hilarious comedy borrowing elements from other serious movies like any other comedy but comes with unique ability to apply them effectively but is still not free from the film pitfall that all movies must contain the elements of a heteronormative romance.
Poultry in Motion
jdh-7476915 February 2018
Chicken Run is, quite honestly, an egg-cellent work of comedy, and a movie that impressed me a lot more than I expected it to, and I highly recommend watching it if you haven't already. I don't like summary, but to talk about it I should probably at least outline the film: it takes place on a chicken farm that is portrayed as a prison from the view of the chickens, who make up the bulk of the characters in the film. The movie is about the chickens and their various attempts to escape. Ok, barebones summary out of the way, the movie does a bunch of things that blew me away and really impressed me. The first of these, and the most immediately apparent, is the visual style of the movie: it is entirely claymation. Now, the only times I had seen claymation used before, I...wasn't impressed with it. However, the way they do claymation in Chicken Run is amazing, in that it is simply so expressive and detailed. The love and hard work that the creators of the movie had poured into the clay figures was immediately apparent with how detailed they looked, in spite of their simple, cartoonish, looks--it honestly felt like I was watching a 3D version of one of the Saturday morning cartoons I watched as a kid. The amount of different poses, expressions, and even effects that the filmmakers were able to do astounded me, and honestly endeared me to this style of animation. Beyond that though, the thing that I loved most about this film--and the aspect of the film that makes it stand out as much as it does--is the STELLAR writing in the film. I went in expecting a simple movie that was clearly intended for kids, and as a result the movie took me for one hell of a ride. This movie had me scared, mad, and sobbing at various points throughout, and even more often had me tearing up in laughter--but even better, I was invested in what was happening, a lot more than I am with more recent films. And honestly, this was due to the writing. The characters in the film, some of them one-notes though they may be, honestly felt so articulate and alive at times, and this was emphasized by the stellar voice work (the accent work fit each and every character to a T). I found myself getting so engrossed in their plight, and rooting for their success the entire time, and it was absolutely fantastic. Hell, I even was invested in the romance between Ginger and Rocky, as out of place as a romance subplot was in this movie--and normally I loathe out-of-place romantic subplots. But the best part is that I felt each and every character was done right, even the one-notes. For example, the antagonists were written to work perfectly with each other, and despite being farmers as the villains, still struck me with fear. The bumbling, fumbling, dunderhead that was Mr. Tweedy was an excellently-written foil to the dastardly and diabolical Mrs. Tweedy, yet even in scenes where Mr. Tweedy was the only antagonist present, he still felt menacing--something I applaud, honestly. I was also endeared to the other characters; from the silliness of the hens to the military rigidity of Ginger's father, to the rats, who were simultaneously lovable and hateable, I found myself loving each and every one of them. The biggest praise that I can give to this movie, and the greatest testament I can provide that speaks to how good it is, is that even after watching it once I not only am able to applaud it so much, but also truly wish to applaud it. It is an excellent film, and I highly recommend it.
Best Chick Flick of 2000
rdc-5937315 February 2018
Chicken Run is a delightful little stop-motion picture film revolved around chickens that are tired of their boring old lives on the farm. One of the more daring chickens, Babs, knows that they are only being used to create eggs for the farmers and, once they cannot perform anymore they head to the chopping block. Knowing this, she desperately tries to escape the confinement that is the chicken coop, but she fails time and time again. One morning, out of the sky falls a rooster named Rocky who told the chickens that he knew how to fly and could teach them. Sadly, he had hurt his wing in the fall, so he could not do any demonstrations for the other chickens. Every day the chickens would practice flapping their wings and jumping off the rooves of their homes, but no luck. Then the wife, and the REAL owner of the farm, decides the eggs are not making enough money she invests in a machine that would consume mass amounts of chickens and turn them into "homemade" chicken pot pies. When the chickens realized this, they were in an absolute time crunch to escape their inevitable death. By this time, Rocky's wing had healed and they all demanded him do a demonstration for them the next morning. Knowing that he could not really fly on his own, he put up a poster that showed him getting shot out of a cannon and left in the middle of the night. The chickens were then forced to come up with another plan, they were going to build a plane. They stole supplies from the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy, as well as used wood from their own coops. The chickens were barely able to finish the plane in time to beat the machine being built. As they prepare the runway for takeoff Mrs. Tweedy attempts to sabotage them but, Rocky comes back to help. They launch off into the air thinking all is well but, in a last effort Mrs. Tweedy grabs on. They end up kicking her off and escape into the sunset. They then live happy ever after on their own island.

This movie was great for all ages, although it may be meant for younger children, anyone is able to enjoy the family-friendly movie. It really captivates the audience with its diverse genre category. It keeps things light with a lot of comedic scenes to overlook the darker plot of chickens being murdered. There were a handful of times I caught myself chuckling at the various scenes showing you do not need to be young to laugh at this movie. When Rocky arrives into the movie there is an obvious love story brewing between him and Babs, the main chicken behind all the schemes. This drama aspect of the film really gets the viewers to connect with the characters and feel for them. It creates a bond that really captures you into the movie. Lastly, their action-packed escape from the farmers and the death machine has viewers gripping their seats, wondering what is going to happen.

Throughout this movie the writers do a great job building suspense and keeping the viewer on edge. There are two main areas that demonstrate this well. The first being when Babs and Rocky get stuck in the pie making machine. Rocky sees Babs hanging upside down with her feet chained to a conveyor belt on the wall. He runs after her to try and catch her before she falls into a large metal tube that leads into the machine. The slow chase builds suspense in the viewers. Left and right they get so close to death, yet they somehow escape, each time by just a hair. Secondly, when they are in the middle of their final escape, Mrs. Tweedy is hanging on to a string of lights that got loose trying to take off. Babs is trying to cut the lights, so she falls but Mrs. Tweedy pulls out an axe and tries to chop her head off. After she swings we see just a chicken body holding on, giving the impression that she was dead, but she ducked just in time. The writers used this fight to build suspense and give us the false impression that the main character had just been killed.

This movie also uses a lot of classic editing styles. To start off they used the Three-Part POV shot inspired by Hitchcock many times when Mr. Tweedy would be spying on the chickens with his binoculars. We would see Mr. Tweedy in the window looking at the chickens, then we would view into the binoculars and see the chickens trying to fly, then it would zoom out and Mr. Tweedy would react with astonishment and check again. This time, he would just find them doing regular chicken-like activities. Another editing style they used which is used in many modern films is classical cutting. Many times, they would show characters walking out of frame and instead of following them it would just cut to another frame that they are just beginning to walk into as if it was just continuous the entire time.
Chicken Run Review
etw-4126115 February 2018
Chicken run is in the details. What starts and ends as a parody of "The Great Escape" continuously picks up unique elements along the way, developing its own reputation as a solid, feel-good movie. Both Chicken Run and The Great Escape feature a collection of prisoners, summoned to roll call, living in numbered shacks in captivity. Both feature one character repeatedly trying to escape. Both feature the escaping character repeatedly being caught. When caught, both characters are put in solitary confinement, where both characters pass the time by bouncing a ball off the opposite wall. Both feature stealing bed slats to construct a tunnel as an attempt at escape. Both use a wood stove as the cover to the secret tunnel. Both feature the British Royal Air Force - In The Great Escape, all the prisoners are captured airmen; Chicken Run only features one RAF member. In a subtler reference, The Great Escape shows a character using his pants to sneak dirt out of the tunnel - Chicken Run shows a character using their pants to smuggle bolts and supplies in for the chicken's final escape attempt. The tunnel escape, However, is where Chicken Run begins to take on an identity of its own. The Chickens, unlike the captured british airmen, do not manage to escape.

Some plot points are fairly obvious to older viewers (Rocky can't fly) or unoriginal (Rocky's decision to return); however they provide clues that younger viewers will delight to find on their inevitable re-watches. The Hen House transforming into a plane, meanwhile, is a surprise I doubt many saw coming. Looking back, clues were provided - no view of the project during the construction montage but walls of the house - but the cinematography setup the surprise very well, showing construction without raising suspicion of what was being constructed.

The film accomplishes something very unique in terms of suspense. Younger audiences will realize the characters are risking death, and will be riveted. In most films targeted towards children, suspense will decrease as the viewing age increases. However, in Chicken Run, the older audiences realize just how gruesome the danger is. Suspense in Chicken Run, as a result, does not decrease with age. I found myself just as terrified at the pie machine as I was when much younger. As a child, death was constant - being trapped in the oven, falling into the blades, being crushed by the roller - all ended in the same result. As an adult, Roasting to death, being drawn into a woodchipper, and being trapped as a steam-roller draws nearer are all as if not more terrifying. Mrs. Tweedy being trapped in the gravy tank as the gravy level rose was particularly fear-inducing. In terms of suspense, Chicken Run provides something for all age levels. The small details presented in the film are what takes Chicken Run from a simple story to a beautiful piece of art. Most obviously are the numerous references to The Great Escape. Less obviously are little things, like the drive shaft of the delivery truck that brings the pie machine. Placing the camera on the ground pointed upwards to show the rotating parts underneath is an unnecessary item that helps keep the already engaging stop motion even more visually attractive. The two black market rats are named Nick and Fetcher respectively. "Nick" in british english means to steal, and "Fetcher" means ones who procures. The rats do exactly that, stealing items from the Tweedy's household to sell. Nick's character wears a suit jacket that zips up, with the zipper displayed prominently on the front. At first glance, it looks exactly like a tie. Inside the barn, an incredible amount of detail work went into the backgrounds and the pie making machine. Shovels lean against the walls, tools hang from boards, work benches accumulate dust. Gears and pipes span left and right, Metal supports have holes in them exactly as a real structure would. Chicken Run's small details make it a visual masterpiece, with every scene hiding something to look for. If the suspense and plot don't satisfy, watching for the hidden gems in the set certainly will.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very entertaining movie with a unique style.
ecd-1686715 February 2018
Chicken Run is an animated adventure, comedy movie by Peter Lord and Nick Park about a group of chickens trying to escape from the prison-like farm and its owners. The film is done entirely in Claymation like Wallace and Gromit which adds a unique feel to the story. Many of the scenes in this film stay as close to the characters as possible due to how much time it takes to set up large establishing shots. The use of a more close-up focus in the film is that it feels more grounded in what the characters were doing so it makes the movie feel like something is always happening. Along with that the movie uses classical cutting to go from the characters doing something to their surroundings during particularly the more climactic scenes. For example, the films cuts between Ginger and Rocky and the jammed gravy dispenser as they try to escape the pie machine all while having the gravy dispenser gradually build up towards an explosion. The cuts back and forth between the two build up tension in the scene while jus focusing on the characters would lessen the tension of their surroundings. Another example of their focus on the characters is at the start f the movie when it is a montage of Ginger trying to get all the chickens out and getting caught by the main antagonists Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy. This montage establishes the plot of the movie and most of the protagonists quickly by showing Ginger escape fairly easily but then having her get caught when she goes back to help the others, which demonstrates how she is selfless and wants to save all the chickens. The montage begins with an extended sequence where it begins with an establishing shot over the farm and Mr. Tweedy patrolling the fence with his dogs to establish how the farm is like a prison. Chicken Run is a movie that brings humor, fun action, and a unique style that blends well with the film-making to make a truly entertaining movie.
One of my Childhood Favorites
elicopperman16 November 2017
When I was a kid, I practically ate this movie up as a kid, and watching now as a teenager, it still holds up very well. I've always admired stop-motion, and Aardman has always been quite gifted in crafting delightful characters, worlds and stories through the media. In the case with this film (which is their first feature-length film funny enough), it centers around a pack of chickens in a farm trying to escape said farm and live a peaceful life away from the cruel farmers who want to cook them to earn bigger profits. Along the way, a rooster accidentally lands in the farm, and he teaches them how to fly to escape said farmers. The result is a funny, charming, beautiful and at times emotional POW story that does great service to the likes of The Great Escape.

What's well contrasted about the chicken coup is that it also feels like a prison, creating a sense of terror and suspense for the chickens. Adding on to a well layered story, the jokes are very witty and add some spunk and charm to the characters. However, the film is also not afraid of getting dark, as whenever the farmers are near the chickens, you can only pray that those hens will get out of there alive. The attempts at sentimentality hit very well as we feel for the main hen Ginger and her goal to leave her horrid life and to get out and find a new home, something that many people stuck in horrible lives wish to fulfill.

Most if not all the characters are just delightful. Ginger is the smartest of all the chickens, is always thinking up each plan, and while she does have her disagreements with Rocky the rooster, they do grow more fond of each other and it's very sweet whenever they bond. Speaking of Rocky, while his arch is the typical liar revealed story line you'd find in other films, he does grow a soft side for the hens and his snarky attitude only fits in to how charming he is. As for the other hens, they range from amusing and smart witted like Gabs and Mac to more stubborn like Bunty and Fowler, but that fits in to the contrasting views of what they can do to escape. Oh yeah, and the rats Nick and Fletcher are madly amusing and do help the chickens out, so they're good in my book.

And then there's Mrs. Tweedy, the co-owner of the chicken farm and wife of the absent-minded albeit occasionally demanding Mr. Tweedy. She is so threatening from her appearance that whenever she's on screen, she gives me goosebumps. Add on her ferocious dogs and you've got a villain who will stop at nothing to get what she wants, and in this case, to turn all her chickens into pies to gain higher salaries...seriously, don't mess with Tweedy.

Technical wise, this movie is marvelous. The sets look well detailed, the characters are in the usual simple yet amusing Aardman style, the effects are superb, and the flying scenes are just...stellar. Even though this was Aardman's first feature film, they went all out in crafting a great setting for where the film's core is, and they never hold back in giving the characters such unique and layered body expressions. Oh, and the gravy machine....pure masterpiece.

And last but certainly not least, the music score. Harry-Gregson Williams and John Powell tangle with an upbeat lively score and a more suspenseful heist score that really add to the tension of each scene.

There are many solid works in England when it comes to animation, and Chicken Run is no exception. While the liar revealed story and the occasional dodgy character play afloat, the film's solid animation, lovable cast of characters, well layered story, and charming score really make it a solid flick worth watching. If you have a kid of your own, pass this film on to them, and maybe then they'll have a favorite of theirs from their childhood that they'll stay forever attached to.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than it should be.
billosaurus25 June 2017
Chicken run really has what could have been a very corny, immature, and, possibly, tasteless premise, and easily have just been a very stupid, loud, colourful mess that shuts kids up. Actually, this film doesn't settle for that, it actually has a lot of intelligence, charm, subtlety, legitimately emotional scenes, and could even be quite morbid at times. This film is one I recommend to all ages. Fans of POW movies can get a kick from it, kids can enjoy it, as can anyone else. The plot is very erratic, but in a good way and keeps you guessing, until it leads to a climax you certainly won't see coming. Idealistic and natural hatched lead hen ginger, her intelligent, scatterbrained, and slightly insane Scottish assistant Mac, wise old veteran rooster fowler, muscular, loudmouthed, and cantankerous bunty, and endearingly ignorant babs hatch feckless scheme after feckless scheme, in a bid to liberate the farm's vast chicken flock. However, ginger and the gang are stopped at every turn by the callous and tyrannical Willard tweedy, and his pair of attack dogs. The farm is low on funds, and any hen who cannot produce eggs is decapitated, and eaten by the two farmers. However, a rooster, known as rocky the Rhode island red, who is capable of flight, crashed into the farm one fateful night, and has to take time to heal his broken wing, while, after threatening to return him to circus he came from by ginger, is forced against his will into verbally teaching the hens to fly. He agrees, yet harbours a dark secret. To worsen matters, the head of the farm, the highly-ambitious and Sociopathic melisha tweedy, Willard's domineering and business-minded wife, has lofty aspirations of becoming a wealthy pie-manufacturer, and without a shred of empathy, intends on turning the entire flock into pie filler. Time is ticking, and the hens MUST learn to fly, before their goose is cooked. Assisting them are two hilarious rats, nick and fetcher. Nick is intelligent and suave, fetcher is slightly unhinged and mentally distant, yet they eagerly help the hens, in exchange for seed, and if they are expected to work Harder than usual, then they demand eggs. The characters all have depth, quirks, and it is shown through their actions, not just sitting around and blabbing exposition. The animation is very aesthetic, allowing for a lot of well- timed slapstick and hilarious eggs-xpressions.
Enjoyable
slightlymad2226 January 2017
Chicken Run (2000)

Plot In A Paragraph: Set in Yorkshire, England in 1950's. A bunch of chickens are facing certain death on the Tweedy's Chicken Farm. They constantly try to escape, but always fail. When an American Rooster named Rocky (Gibson) falls into their farm, they are given new hope.

This movie seems to have been forgot about over the years, but these days I'd rather watch something original like this, than sit through endless car chases and shoot outs held together by a dim witted plot in another Fast & Furious movie.

I really like this movie, it is funny, clever, sweet, tender and touching. It's not just about hitting a few plot points to get to the big escape!! It surprisingly has a decent amount of character development, and at the end I knew if had a good time.

Chicken Run was another $100 million grosser for Gibson, as it ended the year with $106 million at the domestic box office to finish the year as the 20th highest grossing movie of 2000.
I've Never Heard so Many Poultry Puns
Hitchcoc10 January 2017
I would say it's a hoot, but it's about chickens, and a cluck just doesn't do it. In this masterwork of modern claymation, a flock of chickens realize that their World War II concentration camp setting is going result in all of them becoming dinner. Along comes Mel Gibson as a chicken (I suppose after saving the Colonies in "The Patriot" he needed other things to do. Anyway, the chickens are soon empowered to try to save themselves with the help of Mel. They become industrious. They already have some pretty amazing anthropomorphic talents, but trying to escape has not been one of them. They are ruled over by the Tweedys, a clumsy husband and wife team who start to realize what is happening. Because they are not doing well in the egg business, they buy a pie machine with the thought of butchering their animals and making them into pies. So the chips are down. Great animation and a really interesting premise.
Aardman's second-best production, after The Wrong Trousers
Leofwine_draca30 December 2016
CHICKEN RUN is a pretty decent feature-length animation from Aardman, directed by WALLACE & GROMIT creator Nick Park. I found it only second to THE WRONG TROUSERS in terms of quality, as for the most part this is a funny, action-packed tale with a decent storyline and effective larger than life characters.

The story is about a bunch of chickens hoping to escape from a chicken farm and the American rooster that comes by and helps them. It doesn't sound like much on paper - your typical kid's production in fact - but in terms of execution this is a piece of visual excellence. I particularly loved all of the references to WW2 prisoner of war films, most notably THE GREAT ESCAPE, which alone kept me watching.

The story isn't too kiddified and some of the jokes are pleasingly mature. There's a little too much random slapstick but the American influence is low and the film has a strong British feel and sense of humour. The cast members acquit themselves very well with the material, and even shoehorned-in Mel Gibson is a fine choice for the lead. In the end, Nick Park's tireless work pays off here, and the result is that rarity: a modern-day children's film I can enjoy time and again.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A pen of chickens, desperate for escape and running out of options are given a new hope when a flying American rooster lands in their coup.
SnoosReviews12 September 2016
Filmed entirely using Claymation technology (the same style used for the Wallace and Gromit animations), gave Chicken Run a different feel to your usual animated movie. The animation certainly isn't to everybody's taste, it doesn't look as impressive or as polished as standard animation but for me it wasn't a problem, within a few minutes I was completely used to it and barely noticed it to be different from then on.

An almost all English cast worked well for the movie with the only American being Mel Gibson, playing Rocky the Rooster. This created the opportunity for the chickens to look up to the Rooster as some sort of celebrity, a foreigner who was like something they had never seen before.

There are many references to great British movies through the film, some of which I picked up on and others which I have read of since watching it. Chicken Run does have a strong British feel to it, however I can't help but feel that just the inclusion of one American character made it feel a little too American. Mel Gibson stood out like a sore thumb, now I'm not saying he didn't fit the part and play a vital role, I just think that some of the jokes and amateur dramatics would have been better suited to the movie if they were a little less Americanized.

On the most part the comedy is fresh and I found myself laughing on several occasions. It's a feel good flick; it's as simple as that. Its relatively predictable and plays out containing all the clichés you would expect from a movie of this genre.

Overall, It isn't a perfect movie and I don't feel it contains any real wow factor and it misses the mark on any real emotion in my opinion. However the casting is done well enough, the jokes hit the mark on the most part, the animation is impressive when you consider the effort it must have taken to produce it and it is a decent way to pass the time on a rainy Sunday Afternoon, as I did.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You'll believe chicken can fly, once you watch Chicken Run! Chicken Run is awesome!
ironhorse_iv17 December 2015
Being a huge fan of Wallace & Gromit film series & old school WWII Prison films like 1963's "Great Escape" & 1953's 'Stalag 17", I was really looking forward to this movie, when it came out. It had a unique look to it, with its stop motion clay animation style. Directed by Nick Park & Peter Lord, and animated by Aardman Animations as the studio's first feature-length film; Chicken Run tells the story of a band of chickens lead by Ginger (Voiced by Julia Sawalha) trying to escape from certain death, when the owners of their farm, Mr. & Mrs. Tweedy (Voiced by Tony Haygarth & Miranda Richardson) decide to move from selling eggs to selling chicken pot pies. Can the smooth-talking Rhode Island Red named Rocky (Voiced by Mel Gibson) teach them to fly or will they end up, being the main course when Mrs. Tweedy get her hands on them? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie, too much, I have to say, this movie was amazing that it even got finished. After all, Aardman weren't really sure at first, if they could pull off making clay figure of chickens moving in a set, because how awkward, they might had look, but somehow, they were able to make them look enchantingly believable. For a stop-motion animation film, this is some of the best work, I have saw. It was poultry in motion. The exceptional British voice-acting from the cast add to the unique characters in this film. The chickens are highly individual, completely believable, and wildly funny side characters. My favorite character in the film had to be Babs (Voiced by Jane Horrocks). Her posh-like speaking voice, matches so well with her character, very air-headed and spacy, jumping to strange conclusions and not fully grasping what's going on, behavior. Lots of laughs from her. However, there was a little language barrier with some of the Cockney and Scottish accents from other supporting characters like Mac (Voiced by Lynn Ferguson) & Nick (Voiced by Timothy Spall), that made me, scratching my head, due to them, being hard to understand. For the leads, Mel Gibson really stood out as the cocky American playboy here with the tone of his voice. He was really literally a chick magnet, back then. I also like, how his Australian accent wasn't showing at all. He really did sound like, he was from show business with his Hollywood-like attitude. Still, there was one thing that bug me, about his portrayal. I really, didn't like, that he didn't sound like he was from Rhode Island, in which his character is supposedly from. You would think, the movie would hint at that, a little more. Anyways, while the trailers, make it might seem like Mel Gibson is the main hero, it's Julia Sawalia as Ginger, who really stands out in this film. She really sounds like a woman with a plan. You really sense, the urgency within the tone of her voice. The villains were also well-played by Tony Haygarth & Miranda Richardson. They really do stand out, with their over-paranoia and axe-crazy personality. The humor is a mixed bag for me. There were a lot of moments that really did hit my funny bone, mostly in the British style of slapstick humor; yet some of the dry humor needed some more work. Then, there are some U.K pop-culture references that clearly went over my head, like the spoof sequence from 1951's Ace in the Hole or 1971's And Now for Something Completely Different. It didn't make a lick of sense, to us, Americans, but for the most part, I understood, most of the jokes. Some of the jokes could be a little too complex for children, but for the most part, it works within its means. Despite, being stuck in one-location, the movie is full of action and adventure. I love every minute of it, from escaping pie-making machines to the climatic airplane chase. The music score from Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell really add to the epic scope of these scenes. One scene, that really bug me, was any of the scenes with the rats. I really thought, they would had been cut out. The whole scene where they're debating on, what came first, the chicken or the egg was somewhat annoying and drawn out. It was the only problem, within what might seem, like a very well-paced film. Still, the story was mostly 'alright' category for me. Mainly because the story wasn't really anything new and often full of clichés. The whole third act, "liar revealed" cliché wasn't really needed with its gloom. Regardless, I'm still glad, that Nick Park and Peter Ford cut some of the darker sequences from the film such as like; Fowler (Voiced by Benjamin Whitrow) being an abusive alcoholic & a chicken eaten by the watchdogs in an escape attempt. That would be way too grim for a children film. Overall: I like this, incredibly creative, highly detailed, animated film. Memorable characters and a cool prison escape plot, made this, a must-watch. So don't be a chicken, go run and see this movie.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A real fun family movie
Terryfan4 October 2015
Chicken Run does everything to make it a fun family motion picture. So there is a good chance you and your whole family will enjoy it.

What makes this movie special that it is stop motion. Stop Motion Animation is hardly use these days and it is very good to see a full motion picture with stop motion.

The stop motion is very well done and you can see in this film that they took the time to detail every motion of the characters and the sets help make it convincing that is what I like the best about the film is the stop motion it deserves a lot of respect for how the animation was done.

The music in the film tells the story pretty well for each scene.

The writing in this film does have pretty well and some good reference to famous films and Television shows which is another winner because the writers made each reference work.

The voice acting is very well done as well with a cast you never thought would do animation films but they did.

The only downside to the film is that some characters will leave you scratching your head and some of the writing can be out there.

But overall Chicken Run is a fun film for the whole family and shouldn't be miss

I give Chicken Run an 7 out of 10
Barn Yard War Film.
Python Hyena9 July 2015
Chicken Run (2000): Dir: Peter Lord, Nick Park / Voices: Mel Gibson, Julia Sawalha, Miranda Richardson, Tony Haygarth, Timothy Spall: A family film that exploits prison movie clichés. It introduces a hen named Ginger who has made every attempt to escape her barb wire surroundings but her attempts are faltered by farmer Tweedy and his ruthless wife. Just when all seems hopeless a rooster named Rocky drops in seeking refuge from circus life. Ginger will conceal him in favour of flying lessons but unfortunately he cannot actually fly. They must work fast before they are subject to Tweedy's pie making machine. Surprising and innovative claymation flawed only with a silly conclusion where a chicken lugs implausible weight. Directed by Peter Lord and Nick Park with voices by Mel Gibson as Rocky who sees the confinement as an escape whereas the chickens await a dire fate. Julia Sawalha voices Ginger whom remains strong and hopeful despite the gloom of the situation. Miranda Richardson and tony Haygarth voice Mr and Mrs Tweedy who will meet defeat but not without a good dose of humour thrown in. Timothy Spall provides the voice of a rat who may remind viewers of the rat in Charlotte's Web who shares similar personality. While children may not grasp the prison film references, it is still wonderful family viewing where claymation take flight faster than the chickens. Score: 8 / 10
Nick Park and His Chicken Story
gavin694225 February 2015
Chicken Run is a comedy escape drama with a touch of passion set on a sinister Yorkshire chicken farm in 1950s England.

Taking a page from "Braveheart", Nick Park weaves a tale of chickens who long to be free. There is even mention of "free range", though this term might be an anachronism. Either way, it is the similar style we have come to expect from the man, now with chickens. For many people, this might be awesome. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the style.

More interestingly, is how the film changed the Academy Awards. Allegedly, there was push to get this film a Best Picture nomination (which seems unlikely), and that push failed. But the Academy recognized the growing number of animated films and opened the door for them to have their own category. This has completely changed the way we look at animation each year.
Wonderful Animation Packed with Intertexts
l_rawjalaurence30 December 2014
Watching Peter Lord and Nick Park's glorious animation story of a group of chickens escaping from a repressive farm in 1950s Britain, one comes to understand how the script draws on a whole raft of classic war films of the period, including THE COLDITZ STORY (1955), STALAG 17 (1953), and most obviously THE GREAT ESCAPE (1963).

All of the elements are there, treated with a tongue-in-cheek reverence that makes the film a memorable experience. Ginger (voiced by Julia Sawalha) is the lead chicken, desperately trying to devise escape plans from the farm policed by Mr. Tweedy (Tony Haygarth) and his shrewish spouse (Miranda Richardson). The need to escape is paramount; all the chickens have to hope for instead is a life dedicated to laying eggs and a violent death by strangulation, as the Tweedies cook yet another tasty Sunday dinner. The only problem is that Ginger's task is hampered by the well-meaning yet rather clueless inmates, led by Babs (Jane Horrocks) and Mac (Lynn Ferguson). The entire group are 'supervised' (?) by the Brigadier Fowler (Benjamin Whitrow), using the kind of Fifties Received Pronunciation accent that immediately recalls the war films of that period.

Enter Rocky the Rooster (Mel Gibson), a self-assured refugee from the circus, with a cockiness (pun intended) recalling Steve McQueen in THE GREAT ESCAPE. Although eventually helping to create a successful escape, Rocky has to learn how to co-exist with a group of Brits, that requires both races to become more accommodating, and less xenophobic. The script allows for some jokes familiar to viewers acquainted with World War II history (all Americans are "overpaid, oversexed, and over here."

Although only just over eighty minutes long, the film is packed with incident as well as some really funny jokes. CHICKEN RUN is a joyous experience, a tribute both to the talents of animators and script-writers alike.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No chicken escapes . . .
The_Film_Cricket17 November 2014
A moment comes and goes too quickly in 'Chicken Run'. A chicken named Ginger has just received a shock and looks directly into the camera in a very tight close-up. There is, in those eyes heartbreak and betrayal. Director Nick Park has figured out what George Lucas and Frank Oz figured out when creating Yoda. It isn't enough to have a character that can move and blink their eyes. It's what is behind them that counts.

This kind of real gesture is on display all through 'Chicken Run' a delightful animated feature debut from the creator of Wallace & Gromit. He has created a film that works on a level that never seems written specifically for six-year-olds. The characters are chickens, yes, but underneath they are as smart as we are.

The story: The chickens of Tweedy's farm are in a desperate state. Their cruel owner demands results and when one chicken doesn't fill her quota of egg production, its the chopping block. To further the example of the dilemma our heroes face, we hear the whack of the ax and later see a plate of chicken bones on the kitchen table.

A hen named Ginger (voiced by Julia Sawalha of 'Absolutely Fabulous') tries plan after plan to escape. She has tried tunnels, digging and a catapult all to no avail. Every time she gets close, Mr. Tweedy catches her and throws her in the box. If this sounds a bit reminiscent of 'The Great Escape', the movie has more up its sleeve. And yes she does have a moment at which she bounces the ball (or in this case cabbage) off the wall of the box.

Ginger begins to realize that time is of the essence when Mrs. Tweedy turns from egg production to the more profitable business of making chicken pies.

A blessing falls from the sky in the form of Rocky the Flying Chicken (no smiles please). He comes sailing out of the sky bellowing 'FREEDOM!' and if you know Mel Gibson's movies you'll understand that. Rocky has just escaped from the circus and Ginger thinks that he may know how to help fly over the fence.

Nick Park and Peter Lord are professionals at Claymation. Park made Wallace and Gromit and the delightful 'Creature Comforts'. Lord made 'Adam' (you can smile at that one). They have not only managed to create great expressive eyes but give them large expressive mouths with rows of bold white teeth. The clever dialogue by screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick (who wrote "James and the Giant Peach") is no shock to anyone familiar with Park's past work. They speak, as people would, not in tired old clichés and catchphrases.

In place of tired catchphrases we get clever homages to 'Braveheart', 'Indiana Jones', 'Sweeny Todd', 'Star Trek', 'Stalag 17' and the aforementioned 'The Great Escape'. The characters in 'Chicken Run' aren't all the same character multiplied. We get: a ruffled old veteran, a dim-bulb constantly knitting, a pair of swindling rats and a Scottish hen. That Scottish hen gets two of the movie's best homages to Star Trek. The first line 'Captain she can't take anymore' we expect. The second we don't expect and I wouldn't dream of spoiling it.

'Chicken Run' reminded me a lot of 'Antz', that great forgotten computer animated feature from two years ago. Both use state of the art animation to tell stories about characters that aren't lead around by their fast food tie-ins. These are films about perseverance and teamwork and contain characters that open their mouths and actually have something worthwhile to say.

NOTE: PLEASE STAY THROUGH THE CLOSING CREDITS!!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Barnyard Escapees
Rainey Dawn23 October 2014
A cute comedy drama film about barnyard escapees! The film *almost* has a film noir look and feel about it similar to an old black and white crime-thriller. Maybe the filmmakers did in fact make this movie a subtle film noir deliberately due the nature of this film or maybe it's just my perception.

I was able to bust-a-gut laughing at times during this movie - other times the movie felt like a good animated drama playing out on the screen. It does have an air of suspense and mystery about it so it's not your typical animated comedy.

This film is definitely worth watching if you liked flicks like 'Madagascar', 'Monsters, Inc.' or 'Antz' 9/10