IMDb > The Mummy (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mummy

The Mummy More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 101: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Popcorn fun-- 1999's version of 'Indiana Jones'

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
5 May 2006

If you're looking for a deep, insightful drama into the rich history of Egypt then look elsewhere because this is not for you. If you just want to see a film full of fun, adventure and a dash of romance all set in an exotic location then 'The Mummy' is the answer.

The story is set in 1924 Egypt where our hero is gregarious American Rick O'Connell, who is hired to take geeky English archaeologist Evey Carnahan and her wimpy brother Jonathan to a hidden tomb where they accidentally awaken Imhotep, a wrathful mummy who is intent on destroying the world. As the trio struggle to send Imhotep back to his grave, they are joined by Ardeth Bey, a member of the sacred Madjai entrusted to ensure the mummy never escapes.

In much the same thread of a Nineties version of 'Indiana Jones', 'The Mummy' is has the usual formula of brave heroes and treacherous or cowardly antagonists. Brendan Fraser is very likable as the wise-cracking, reluctant hero O'Connell; I admit I despaired of him after seeing 'George of the Jungle' but he redeemed himself here showing he is capable of delivering comedy without the stupid faces and making a twit of himself. Rachel Weisz's Evey walked a careful line between being a bookish English woman without delving into being stereotypical view of the English. And John Hannah was hilarious as Jonathan with Oded Fehr's Ardeth Bay providing the females of the audience with something nice to look at! But it is Kevin O'Connor as the traitorous Beni who steals the limelight with some of the best lines of the film.

'The Mummy' is a typical example of a Hollywood action film, full of thrills, humour, stunts and a scare or two. It's a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours, especially on a cold night when you want to imagine yourself in a sunnier climate. Great fun!

It's not Indy

Author: themarina1 from Vancouver, BC
9 August 2004

This movie wasn't exactly Indiana Jones but it did have it's moments.

Rachel Weisz plays the meek librarian who wants to be an archaeologist and, in an interesting turn of events, finds herself hunting for lost treasure with the help of her always in trouble brother (played by John Hannah) and the treasure hunting American (Canadian Boy Colin Fraser).

This movie provides some great special effects. Add in some hilarious moments and lots of action (fighting mummies and skeletons)and you have yourself a great little action movie. Thoroughly enjoyable indeed as long as you're not expecting Indy.

the mutant offspring of indiana jones and alan quatermain

Author: katiepoppycat from Leeds, West Yorkshire
4 May 2004

**SPOILERS**

The Mummy is one of those films that you can watch and watch again without ever getting tired of it. It's groaning under the weight of the cliches, the plot is horrifically predictable and it doesn't have a shred of originality. But that doesn't mean that I don't love it. This film definitely makes it into my top ten. In fact, 'The Mummy' was the first dvd I ever bought, and I'm still watching it. The CGI holds up enormously well, even considering the leaps and bounds we've made in the field since then.

I'm an enormous Indiana Jones fan, and Sommers has taken all my favourite things about Indiana Jones and shamelessly reused them. Fraser is brilliant as O'Connell, Rachel Weisz believable as kick ass librarian Evie, and I just loved John Hannah as her reprobate brother. Even the way his accent wavers between jolly hockey sticks and broad Edinburgh twang doesn't noticeably upset me. This is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, and has no illusions about what it is - a couple of hours of escapist fun. don't watch this film if you get annoyed about authentic historical details. Do watch this film, if. like me, you love anything vaguely historical, and have a hero thing. I waited with bated breath for the sequel and was a little let down. But that's another story . . . .

Good action movie

Author: m0rg16 from Sweden
9 February 2004

This movie is a remake of the old classic "The Mummy" movie. But of course, they changed alot of things around. Which is good. Why bother with making a remake if you're just going to make it exactly like the old one? If you're gonna do a remake, why not do it with some style? And this is what this movie accomplishes. Instead of a horror movie, we are given an action/adventure movie, with much fitting comedic elements. But there are some creepy moments in the film, and I have to say I would be interested in seeing a horror movie based on this story. But for now, this will do.

Brendan Fraser plays Rock O'Connell; a mercenary hired by some unknown group. After he gets chased away from the city of the dead, hamunaptra, by ghosts he is sent to jail when he arrives in Cairo, for trying to have "a good time". Enter: Jonathan (Brilliantly played by John Hannah) who just happens to steal a nifty little gadget from Rick's pocket while visiting the Cairo jail. He shows it to his sister, Evelyn, and she recognizes it to be of some importance. They manage to get Rick out of jail, and in return he has to lead them to Hamunaptra, the city of the dead.

On their way to Hamunaptra they stumble upon another adventure and treasure seeking party, which is most unfortunate, because it is this reckless group that eventually let loose the title character: The Mummy. The Mummy's, or Imhotep's (that's his real name), mission is to destroy all living beings on earth, starting with those who let him loose. Now it's up to Rick, Evelyn and Jonathan to stop him before he can accomplish his goal.

The story is good enough to keep the movie going, and it's not in the least confusing which means we'll get a semi-braindead action film without any hassle of lack of story or to much action. The movie is a perfect mix between plot and action sequences, and this is great thanks to the director Stephen Sommers. This movie is definetly worth a rent, or even a buy if you take a shine to it. And if you liked this movie, I also recommend the sequel: The Mummy Returns, which continues in the same style as this movie.

8/10 - Perfect mix of storyline and action gives us a really, really good action/adventure movie with some really funny scenes thrown in here and there.

Explosive, funny and really cool

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
24 June 2003

THE MUMMY (1999) Brendan Fraser plays the main character Rick in this action packed kind of horror/adventure mix. I really urge you too see it cause of its overall interesting and cool story. The movie is a new shooting of the horror classic, but it is even better then the original! Rachel Weisz and John Hannah also appears in parts, though the movie is best when Rick starts getting his guns off!! You get too see like the most beautiful landscape pictures and special effects but also lunatic action and brutally nice chills, with twists of romance that is, and that's just lovely! The sequel is almost a shame into the first and what about The Scorpion King that is some sort of a third movie! It is without doubt this one who's the best and with a lots of entertainment, style, laughs, action and creepy things this movie is simply one of the most entertaining movies in 1999 STARS: **** 4/5

The Mummy

Author: bk_connection from Copenhagen, Denmark
29 April 2003

This movie is one of the best movies in the 90´ties, and if you haven´t seen it yet I can guarantee you 100% satisfaction. Everything is perfect in this movie and the star-cast is Brilliant. So go watch The Mummy and look forward to the Mummy Returns.

Surprisingly good!

Author: MSusimetsa from Finland
17 March 2003

I wasn't expecting much when I started watching this movie, but it soon proved to be a good old-fashioned adventure flick with great humour and boyish charm. I had been afraid that the movie would be based on its special effects, but the character interaction was absolutely great and the dialogue had some hilarious one-liners. A rare find. 8/10

Leave your brain at the door, and you'll enjoy this adventure flick..

Author: Dorian Wyn Howells (Doz_81) from Llanelli, S. Wales, UK
1 February 2002

I stayed away from this film for a looooooooooooooooong time. I hate Brendan Fraser. I HATE him!!!!! Anyway, when I saw this I was drunk, and I enjoyed. Why? I don't know.

The plot is straight forward, The acting is not Oscar worthy. The SFX? depending on expectations, some are good, and some are absolute crap!!!!

Fraser is only just tolerable, Hannah is just plain annoying and Weisz is only there for eye candy purposes, oh no, sorry, she can read Egyptian, of COURSE - silly me!!!!!

So anyway, this film is o.k. Nothing too special, but not a total waste of time and money.

There are some good set pieces to be had, but the gimp who serves the Mummy just needs to be shot!!!!!

I can't really be bothered to write much about this film, as I am biased AGAINST it!! The best thing for you to do is watch it yourselves and make up your own minds.

I'll give it 8/10, but I still don't know why!!! Maybe it's because there is fun to be had, and it does pass the time, and if you're in the mood for mindless action, then you'll enjoy.....maybe.

Enjoy!

The best mummy films.

Author: marco-67 from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
14 January 2002

The mummy is one of the best mummy films. I don't know why people like the 1932 mummy i think they don't know what they are talking about. I watched the 1932 mummy and i fought it was crap it was so cheesy. In the 1999 mummy it has the best special effects best music great acting and the feel of egypt. The mummy is my all time favourites thanks to stephen summers who directed it and ILM( Industrial light And Magic) the special effects people. This movie is well directed , well scripted, and well acted. I thank the people that did this film because i love it. borrow this film watch it and buy it you'll love it.....

Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Haemunaptra

Author: Darth_Stat from Australia
25 March 2001

This does borrow heavily from the Indiana Jones formula but the characters are not only likeable but memorable and the one liners are by far the best I've heard in years. Rick, Benney, Johnathan and even the chick Evelyn are all a scream and pleasure to watch follow this one through. It is hugely toungue in cheek, I believe that this is what is effecting alot of opinion around here, everyone, it does not take it's self anywhere near seriously. "Kill the bad guy, rescue the damsel in distress, save the world" that sums it up perfectly. The action is a delight, the interactions of everybody, it is one huge pleasure feast, they have left behind all the corny fright stuff of the classics and made this a special effects and humour driven rollercoaster.

The add for the sequel looks like they may have left behind what was best about this one, it seems to be more serious and paced action stuff but so did the add for this original. This is one of the greatest adventure flicks ever made, do yourself a favour and see it. 10/10 for its perfection.