IMDb > The Mummy (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mummy

The Mummy More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 100: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A must for Indiana Jones fans

Author: (kibz@kibblerj.fsnet.co.uk) from Hartlepool, England
18 February 2000

I thought this movie was really good it was a good escape from reality for 2 hours and is a must for Indiana Jones fans. Brendan Fraser was at his very best no doubt about that playing the mummy slayer Rick. Rachel Weisz played the damsel in distress really good so did John Hannah whom played her brother he added some great humour to the movie. This movie is a must for all you adventure types you can,t go wrong. I forgot to mention the guy who played the mummy Arnold Vosloo he does not say much but he put forward to me you don,t mess with him. And watch out for the bugs!

Terror-ific film

Author: Sarah Szmidt from Northampton, England
4 August 1999

I really enjoyed this film;It was brilliant and quite funny.I found it really jumpy and scary in places.It was better than I expected.The film had no bad points. I recommend you go see it. My rating is 9/10.

The Last Great Adventure Film

Author: Grand_Admiral_Thrawn
23 September 2009

Don't get me wrong, we have had lots of great movies since '99, but I really feel that this is the last one where it was just 10 for 10 great. And it was a great way to end the 90's, which I still believe to be one of the best movie decades; we knew how to make great movies and we knew how to make great trailers for those great movies--not just rapidly flashing scenes with drums and clashing and building violins, but REAL trailers edited to perfection with great music.

"The Mummy" just packs it all; from Adventure to Horror to Fantasy to Drama to Comedy, and in my humble opinion, it succeeds superbly in all five genres. It is just such a FUN movie! The sites (and sights), the sound design, the CGI (while I won't say it's perfect), and, of course, Jerry Goldsmith's masterpiece of a score which can take Alan Silvestri's for "The Mummy Returns" to the cleaners any day of the week.

While "The Mummy" was a blockbuster, it is sadly one of those unappreciated movies. Shortly after its release is when movies began to take a turn for the worse and become darker, and for what ever crackbutt reason, darker is what the American Audience wants. Audiences just want movies where everyone dies (a lot of the time including the hero(es)), the music is heavily synthesized, and the plot is simplistic.

"The Mummy" is an epic adventure from beginning to end. And I can only hope that our movies return to this movie-type some day soon. While I do like "The Mummy Returns", it was a little too silly for me. And "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"? No comment. The first one just captures the fun-ness that movies are SUPPOSED to be; a movie that grabs you out of your world so you almost feel as if you're IN the movie (he said, at the risk of sounding either cheezy or loony), very much in the tradition of "Jurassic Park" and its sequel.

It's just truly a classic, and will hopefully remain so long enough to see a day when it is appreciated again.

A Must See Adventure For All!, Its An Excellent Mummy Movie, With Fantastic Special Effects, And Fun Performances!

Author: callanvass
12 December 2005

This is a must see adventure for all!, its an excellent Mummy movie, with fantastic special effects and fun performances!. All the characters are just great!, and the story is really cool, plus Brendan Fraser makes a surprisingly great Action hero!. Fraser and Rachel Weisz had very good chemistry together, and John Hannah is very funny as Evelyn's brother!, plus Arnold Vosloo made for a pretty damn good Mummy!. OK granted, it may not be as good as the 1932 classic staring Boris Karloff, or even the 1959 version starring Chrsitopher Lee, however it really does make for a very entertaining action film, only problem it runs a tad too long, but it's never boring. One of the funniest moments for me is when Evelyn (Rachel Weisz) is in the Library putting books back on the shelves and the ladder collapses, and she messes up the whole library!. It's very well written and made, and i thought Kevin J. O'Connor was very good as the weasel Beni!, plus The finale is very exciting!. This is a must see adventure for all, it's an excellent Mummy movie, with fantastic special effects and fun performances!, and I say it's a must see for everyone. The Direction is awesome!. Stephen Sommers does an awesome! job here, with fantastic camera work, great angles, and lots of other cool shots as well!, plus he kept the film at a very fast pace. The Acting is wonderful!. Brendan Fraser is absolutely wonderful here, he has all the tools to be a great action hero, and here he proves it, with his sly humor, and his charisma!, he also had very good chemistry with Rachel Weisz, kicked that ass, was extremely likable, and was just tons of fun to watch!(Fraser Rules!!). Rachel Weisz is gorgeous, and does excellent here, she was adorable, had very good chemistry with Brendan Fraser, and she didn't take things all that seriously most of the time, which made her even more fun to watch!, she was great. John Hannah is very funny as the brother of Evelyn, sure he may be part of the comic relief, but his character really amused me as I thought it blended in with the film pretty well in my opinion!. Arnold Vosloo may not be great in terms of Acting range here, but he sure has one hell of a presence, and made for one awesome Mummy!, he was creepy, and extremely menacing, i loved him!.Kevin J. O'Connor is very effective as the weasel Benni!, perhaps a little too well, he was so convincing!. Oded Fehr is great here as Ardeth, he was cool, and likable i dug his part. Rest of the cast do fine. Overall a must see for everyone!. ****1/2 out of 5

Cheesy Indiana Jones Rip Off, Yet Good

Author: Nick Holland from Missouri, United States
27 January 2016

The Mummy was directed by Stephen Sommers and stars Brendan Fraser as an adventurous hero who can carry a lot of guns. The Mummy, just like every other movie in existence, has its good qualities and its bad qualities. Its good qualities include a good plot, and good special effects. Its bad qualities include a bad plot, and bad special effects.

What I mean by the above paragraph is that half of the plot, and half of the special effects, are good. The other half suck. To get started, I'll give a brief synopsis: We start out in ancient Egypt and the Pharoah at the time was a jealous guy. He literally didn't let anybody touch his wife. However, his high priest, a man named Imhotep, and his wife were in the middle of a passionate affair, and are busted by the Pharaoh. The Pharaoh sees the body paint on his wife's arm is smeared, implying that another person has touched her. He is then surprised to see it is Imhotep. He is then murdered by Imhotep and his wife, who then proceeds to kill herself, simply because we need a plot.

Imhotep then runs away, but returns to try to resurrect his long lost love. However, in the middle of the ceremony, he is interrupted by the Pharaoh's guards, and sentenced to the worst torture possible, in which the victim's tongue is cut off, and is mummified alive and put into a sarcophagus with flesh-eating bugs, so that he will suffer for a long period of time. Then, it skips forward to 1923 and our hero, Rick O'Connell, is in the middle of a war for the land in which Imhotep is buried. He is abandoned by his friend, Beni, and is almost killed. He escapes, but is later found in prison 3 years later. A woman, named Evy Camahan, and her brother, Jonathan, bail Rick out, and go on an adventure to uncover treasure near Imhotep's burial site. They later find and open his sarcophagus and release him on accident. They now must find a way to stop his plan to resurrect his lover and defeat him in order so save the world.

The Mummy is very reliant on its special effects. This film was released in 1999, a time when they did not have as good of effects as nowadays. However, most of the CGI in the movie was not only believable, but rather good. For instance, all of the scenes containing Imhotep, prior to his state of full-regeneration, look very real, with pieces of his flesh missing about his body. Also, in scenes where a flesh-eating bug is crawling inside of someone's skin, it looks very real. Despite all of the good effects in this film, some of them are either non-believable, or just plain bad. An example of this would be far-off shots of cities look like a cheap model bought at the local Dollar General of a set from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Another issue would be the plot. Some of the plot makes perfect sense, and really advances the movie, but other pieces feel like they're just there so that there can be a plot. For example, in the middle of the movie, the team figures out that Imhotep wants Evy so that he can use her as his human sacrifice in order to resurrect his ancient girlfriend. Now, why would he choose her? To me, it felt like he chose her just to give Rick a chance to rescue the damsel in distress. Another good example would be how the Mummy must kill all of the men who opened the box that contained the book of death. When he tries to claim his first victim, he is interrupted, and only gets his hands on the man's tongue and eyeballs. This makes no sense; that he had to take his time in order to get the guy's full body. When he kills the other three men, the process happens instantly. But apparently, this first guy was special, because he had to take his sweet time with him.

Despite the dents in the plot, there are well written parts that really help out the movie. One of these parts would be in the middle of the movie, when the treasure hunters are attacked by a group of men guarding the tomb. Rick is about to get killed by one of these men, but lights the fuse of a dynamite stick, which seems like a really stupid idea at the time. However, if any of you listen to the audio commentary, the director explains that this was put in the movie so that the group could see that Rick wasn't at the site just for treasure, he was willing to risk his life, and those around him, for the knowledge of the history contained in the city.

So, through watching it twice, and once with the commentary, overall, I liked The Mummy. It had a decent plot, likable characters, and halfway good CGI. After consideration, I'd give this film a B-, or a 7 out of 10.

The Mummy's Appeal, Unraveled

Author: FloodClearwater from United States
28 August 2015

No, it's not Raiders of the Lost Ark, and no way, Boris Karloff is not to be found anywhere, but high adventure and winking good humor await in the swirling sands of an Egyptian desert in The Mummy.

Brendan Fraser is American adventurer "Rick O'Connell," a two- pistoled, high booted dude who knows where something big is buried.

Rachel Weisz is "Evelyn," a 1920s British Egyptologist who strikes a treasure hunting deal with Rick and promptly starts building some serious romantic chemistry with him in the classic push-pull, I despise you, I must have you vein.

The buried 'something big' is the property of "Imhotep," Arnold Vosloo's long dead (but not really) high priest of ancient Egyptian myth and magic. Imhotep is more of a plague, pox, locust, scorpion, sandstorm type of guy, someone for whom the kittenish tete-a-tetes between Rick and Evelyn hold no charm.

Oded Fehr and John Hannah come on screen in strong supporting performances to help Rick and Evelyn avoid Imhotep's wrath.

The entirety of the film has an old-timey Saturday matinée feel to it, and although it doesn't rise to the level of a blockbuster summer feature, you could describe it to a novice as perhaps the best B movie of cinema's modern era.

Much of the film's core appeal goes back to the spirited acting Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz supply, and to their significant chemistry together. Although romance must take a back seat to danger in an archaeology adventure flick, it bears noting that their chemistry as a couple is decidedly more compelling than the Indy and Marian pairing in "Raiders." As Raiders is the superior film, that is saying an awful lot about The Mummy's likability quotient, which is high.

Good fun action adventure Film with superb special effects

Author: Ronald Wijermars from Netherlands
26 January 2015

**** MILD SPOILERS ****

The Mummy is one of the most fun and entertaining good action adventure horror films that can be seen over and over again. This film is best described by the word "fun", there isn't much not to like and the film is overall well put together. The films starts out with a very promising layout of ancient Egypt in the time of Pharaoh Seti I. The special effects shown are very good and are far better than "normal" blockbusters of that time, the sequel, The Mummy Returns (2001), has far worse special effects, but is still an entertaining watch. The acting starts out a bit weak and the delivery is not too convincing for the setup of the story, luckily, the rest of the film improves greatly on this. Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz gave a good performance and Brendan Fraser as O'Connel just works. The comic relief is given by Kevin O'Connor as Beni and John Hannah as Jonathan, who both do an excellent job. O'Connor's role in aiding Imhotep is also very refreshing from the generic "funny guy" who is "just there", he has a purpose and never feels unneeded. One of the most hilarious scenes is when Beni tries to complement Imhotep on making a giant wall of sand to kill O'Connel. "I love this whole sand trick... it was beautiful... bastard", I laugh every time I see this scene, especially since Fraser was perplexed they kept that scene in the Film.

The action plays a very important role in The Mummy and refreshingly, it's done well and the camera-work is smooth and the editing doesn't dull the experience. Many blockbusters today make the mistake of editing too much, making a cut at the moment of impact, taking all the energy out of it. In The mummy, the camera lets you see when a hit is a hit without shaking the camera like a little child who has to get a flu-shot. The camera angles are wide and there is never annoying zoom-ins or weird close-up-and-then-pan-to-more-action-shots. Everything is just good and solid.

What makes this movie timeless, however unintuitive, are the special effects. Watching it, even in 2015, will not make you look at some effects and laugh about how bad they are. There are few classics that hold up this well to time. The half "juicy" (funny scene) mummy is ever as convincing and terrifying now as it was back then, a very impressive feat., It isn't intrusive or overdone, at the same time, the special effects are not the only thing that hold this movie up to being a very good experience. The music is very well done and is perfect for creating the atmosphere which makes this Films believable and exciting.

Watching the Film with Brendan Fraser's commentary is also a must, it makes re-watching the Film refreshing and it makes you laugh at even more scenes because you will remember Fraser's commentary the nth time you watch it.

The Mummy is a good Film, it knows what it is and is not afraid to sometimes mock itself. A must watch for when you want to see a very entertaining and excellent Film. Don't nit-pick every aspect of the movie and then, even if you have seen it 10 times before, it remains one of the best action Films in the action/adventure genre. Don't expect it to be a story without plot holes and just sit back and enjoy.

Thrilling and Comical

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
15 October 2014

The Mummy has enough trills to keep you on the edge of your seat and enough comedy to keep you laughing. This movie is full of action, excitement and adventure. Beautiful costuming and sets - most elaborate. The story is just awesome.

Every time I watch this film I want to go back in time to the days of Ancient Egypt. I am always entertained when I see this movie - it's a favorite of mine.

I would definitely recommend this film to anyone that has not see it and I do recommend following it up with "The Mummy Returns".

8.5./10

The Mummy

Author: DesertDogMedia from Northern Hemisphere
26 July 2014

Title: The Mummy

Condensed Storyline: A group of explorers discover the lost city of Hamunaptra, they soon awaken the mummy who hunts them down one by one to assimilate their organs and bodily fluids.

Notable Acting: Brendan Fraser is known for his role as Rick, and his role in the franchise is what some believe to have made the movie work in the first place. Needless to say, the other movies he's been in haven't been as good as his role here. Rachel Weisz plays the Evelyn who always needs rescuing as she is the damsel in distress. John Hannah plays everyones favourite coward Jonathan, he acts like a coward and ultimately is one in this movie and we love him for it. Kevin J. O'Connor plays a similar role to John Hannah in this movie but Kevin's character of Benny will side with who ever will give him money.

Noticeable Camera work: The movie is great at faming up its shots, especially for scenes of torture of death, making it so you can't see it, but still grasp the feeling of what is going on. Time lapse of a couple thousand years while we are looking a the statue of Anubis. Dolly shots following the action in the first fight scene Worms eye view of the Medjai

Graphics: The CGI in this movie is great for its time, be it the CGI for the mummy or the scarabs, it is great. The mummy looks like it is there, the effects that have been used with the sand are convincing and make to be an amazing movie.

Incorrect Science: The 'Book of the Dead' should be the 'Scroll of the Dead', because Ancient Egyptians didn't use books, they used scrolls only. The Roman Empire invented the book layout which is used today. Evelyn says that the scarabs ate Imhotep alive and very slowly, but every time we see them on screen, they always eat people within seconds. There were 5 canopic jars in the chest, but only 4 are used in actual mummification. Evelyn also mentions that they would take out all of the organs, this is incorrect as only the lungs, kidneys, intestines and stomach were put in canopic jars and the brain was removed and discarded. The heart and other organs were kept in. Imhotep fears cats because they are the guardians of the underworld, in actual Egyptian mythology, cats were worshiped as gods because they were connected to the goddess Bastet who was the goddess of motherhood and protection. The actual guardian of the underworld was Anubis who would guide the souls of the dead into the afterlife or the underworld.

Overall Feel: When I was younger, I had an ingrained fascination with Egyptology and this film was one of my all time favourites. So much so I watched this movie (Which is rated 15 for DVD) and I watched it over and over being only single digits in age at the time. So I will try and be not so bias in my review. This movie has its fair share of faults, especially when it comes to knowing about Ancient Egypt, but I would blame this more on the screen writers than anyone else. This is movie was made a year after Deep Rising, using a similar horror theme along with the actor Kevin J. O'Connor. Before this franchise, there were only mummy movies for the 'golden era' of cinema, which had the notoriously bad and some what cheesy effects that you would expect which classic monster movies, this movie made mummies cool again. This movie does have jump scares, but they are mild and are just there for the characters in the movie more than the audience.

This movie was AMAZING!!!

Author: maggatron14 from United States
13 July 2013

I had just seen this movie the other day. I was over at a friend's house and we watched as a sleepover-scary-movie featurette. And, wow, I have to say: It's like no other that I've seen before. But what I didn't understand about the movie was, didn't the guy with glasses disintegrate or something like that, instead of him disappearing? Plus, the story line was great, the special effects were sensational, and finally, the actors did better than their best. They did ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!! But, alas, I have to say, I have not seen the Mummy Returns. So, I'm gonna have to see that. But, back on the subject of the Mummy, It was a 10 out of 10.