IMDb > The Mummy (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mummy

The Mummy More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 97: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Funny movie, without presumption.

Author: AleFish from Verona, Italy
11 May 2001

The Mummy is a funny movie, without presumption. The cast is well-chosen, the script is ironic and The Mummy with Karloff (obvious comparison) is enough far: more dramatic and evocative. A different thing!

Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Haemunaptra

Author: Darth_Stat from Australia
25 March 2001

This does borrow heavily from the Indiana Jones formula but the characters are not only likeable but memorable and the one liners are by far the best I've heard in years. Rick, Benney, Johnathan and even the chick Evelyn are all a scream and pleasure to watch follow this one through. It is hugely toungue in cheek, I believe that this is what is effecting alot of opinion around here, everyone, it does not take it's self anywhere near seriously. "Kill the bad guy, rescue the damsel in distress, save the world" that sums it up perfectly. The action is a delight, the interactions of everybody, it is one huge pleasure feast, they have left behind all the corny fright stuff of the classics and made this a special effects and humour driven rollercoaster.

The add for the sequel looks like they may have left behind what was best about this one, it seems to be more serious and paced action stuff but so did the add for this original. This is one of the greatest adventure flicks ever made, do yourself a favour and see it. 10/10 for its perfection.

Not my cup of tea!

Author: raymond-15 from Australia
17 January 2001

To be honest, this film is not my cup of tea, but I recognize that it does have some excellent features. Brendan Foster and Rachel Weisz make a great partnership and go a long way in setting the pace and maintaining it at top speed.Also, they somehow or other are able to link together a whole series of scenes composed of farcical nonsense. And in the labyrinth of passageways where the scenes take place I find myself at a complete loss in understanding just where they are inside the pyramid. But that does not matter. There are far more exciting and terrifying things to worry about e.g. the bloodless mummies resurrected and in a fit of rage attack our heroes with wild abandon and the scarab beetles that can enter beneath the skin and burrow around the human body. There is danger at every corner. The special effects are so well done. Swords flash in every direction and legs,arms and heads of the mummies are sent flying from their scare-crow figures. Our hero and heroine escape death by a split second time and time again like the characters in the Saturday afternoon serials. Anything can be done to excess and I feel the fight with the mummies is rather long and a trifle repetitive. I wonder sometimes if special effects are ousting the actors in cinema today. This is a mammoth production. It must have cost a fortune to make. The most exciting episodes for me are the escapes through the corridors with the counterbalanced blocks of stone closing the escape routes. I admire the charismatic Brendan Fraser (so good in George of the Jungle). He handles these crazy parts so well. His co-star Rachel Weisz plays an archeological librarian who unbelievably does translations of Egytian hieroglyphs while on the run. What a gal! In a word, this film is a mad mixture of movie magic. Kids will love it to the end.

A must for Indiana Jones fans

Author: (kibz@kibblerj.fsnet.co.uk) from Hartlepool, England
18 February 2000

I thought this movie was really good it was a good escape from reality for 2 hours and is a must for Indiana Jones fans. Brendan Fraser was at his very best no doubt about that playing the mummy slayer Rick. Rachel Weisz played the damsel in distress really good so did John Hannah whom played her brother he added some great humour to the movie. This movie is a must for all you adventure types you can,t go wrong. I forgot to mention the guy who played the mummy Arnold Vosloo he does not say much but he put forward to me you don,t mess with him. And watch out for the bugs!

Terror-ific film

Author: Sarah Szmidt from Northampton, England
4 August 1999

I really enjoyed this film;It was brilliant and quite funny.I found it really jumpy and scary in places.It was better than I expected.The film had no bad points. I recommend you go see it. My rating is 9/10.

The Last Great Adventure Film

Author: Grand_Admiral_Thrawn
23 September 2009

Don't get me wrong, we have had lots of great movies since '99, but I really feel that this is the last one where it was just 10 for 10 great. And it was a great way to end the 90's, which I still believe to be one of the best movie decades; we knew how to make great movies and we knew how to make great trailers for those great movies--not just rapidly flashing scenes with drums and clashing and building violins, but REAL trailers edited to perfection with great music.

"The Mummy" just packs it all; from Adventure to Horror to Fantasy to Drama to Comedy, and in my humble opinion, it succeeds superbly in all five genres. It is just such a FUN movie! The sites (and sights), the sound design, the CGI (while I won't say it's perfect), and, of course, Jerry Goldsmith's masterpiece of a score which can take Alan Silvestri's for "The Mummy Returns" to the cleaners any day of the week.

While "The Mummy" was a blockbuster, it is sadly one of those unappreciated movies. Shortly after its release is when movies began to take a turn for the worse and become darker, and for what ever crackbutt reason, darker is what the American Audience wants. Audiences just want movies where everyone dies (a lot of the time including the hero(es)), the music is heavily synthesized, and the plot is simplistic.

"The Mummy" is an epic adventure from beginning to end. And I can only hope that our movies return to this movie-type some day soon. While I do like "The Mummy Returns", it was a little too silly for me. And "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"? No comment. The first one just captures the fun-ness that movies are SUPPOSED to be; a movie that grabs you out of your world so you almost feel as if you're IN the movie (he said, at the risk of sounding either cheezy or loony), very much in the tradition of "Jurassic Park" and its sequel.

It's just truly a classic, and will hopefully remain so long enough to see a day when it is appreciated again.

Very likable horror adventure.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 September 2009

The Mummy is a fun and likable horror adventure, that doesn't take itself too seriously. True, there are a few discrepancies in the script, it is a tad overlong and Kevin J.Connor's Beni mayn't be to everyone's tastes, but it is a solid film of its genre. The visuals are absolutely stunning, every scene with the Egyptian desert is enough to take your breath away, and the costumes are very nice too. The music by the one and only Jerry Goldsmith is a very creepy and atmospheric score, and just goes to show what a talented composer Goldsmith was. I will admit some of it is quite scary, and that is an understatement, I do confess being scared of the film when I saw it for the first time when I was 9(I'm 17 now), and there are some scenes that still scare me now. It is no wonder because Arnold Vosloo's Imhotep was a masterstroke, very, very frightening at times, especially when the Mummy disguises himself on the ship, and takes off his cloak to claim his first victim. The other performances are fine, with a dashing Brendan Fraser and a stunningly beautiful Rschel Weisz. John Hannah, if you forgive his accent, was on the whole fine. Overall, a fun and likable horror adventure, flawed yes, but guaranteed to give you entertainment and perhaps nightmares. 7/10 Bethany Cox

A Must See Adventure For All!, Its An Excellent Mummy Movie, With Fantastic Special Effects, And Fun Performances!

Author: callanvass
12 December 2005

This is a must see adventure for all!, its an excellent Mummy movie, with fantastic special effects and fun performances!. All the characters are just great!, and the story is really cool, plus Brendan Fraser makes a surprisingly great Action hero!. Fraser and Rachel Weisz had very good chemistry together, and John Hannah is very funny as Evelyn's brother!, plus Arnold Vosloo made for a pretty damn good Mummy!. OK granted, it may not be as good as the 1932 classic staring Boris Karloff, or even the 1959 version starring Chrsitopher Lee, however it really does make for a very entertaining action film, only problem it runs a tad too long, but it's never boring. One of the funniest moments for me is when Evelyn (Rachel Weisz) is in the Library putting books back on the shelves and the ladder collapses, and she messes up the whole library!. It's very well written and made, and i thought Kevin J. O'Connor was very good as the weasel Beni!, plus The finale is very exciting!. This is a must see adventure for all, it's an excellent Mummy movie, with fantastic special effects and fun performances!, and I say it's a must see for everyone. The Direction is awesome!. Stephen Sommers does an awesome! job here, with fantastic camera work, great angles, and lots of other cool shots as well!, plus he kept the film at a very fast pace. The Acting is wonderful!. Brendan Fraser is absolutely wonderful here, he has all the tools to be a great action hero, and here he proves it, with his sly humor, and his charisma!, he also had very good chemistry with Rachel Weisz, kicked that ass, was extremely likable, and was just tons of fun to watch!(Fraser Rules!!). Rachel Weisz is gorgeous, and does excellent here, she was adorable, had very good chemistry with Brendan Fraser, and she didn't take things all that seriously most of the time, which made her even more fun to watch!, she was great. John Hannah is very funny as the brother of Evelyn, sure he may be part of the comic relief, but his character really amused me as I thought it blended in with the film pretty well in my opinion!. Arnold Vosloo may not be great in terms of Acting range here, but he sure has one hell of a presence, and made for one awesome Mummy!, he was creepy, and extremely menacing, i loved him!.Kevin J. O'Connor is very effective as the weasel Benni!, perhaps a little too well, he was so convincing!. Oded Fehr is great here as Ardeth, he was cool, and likable i dug his part. Rest of the cast do fine. Overall a must see for everyone!. ****1/2 out of 5

Good fun action adventure Film with superb special effects

Author: Ronald Wijermars from Netherlands
26 January 2015

**** MILD SPOILERS ****

The Mummy is one of the most fun and entertaining good action adventure horror films that can be seen over and over again. This film is best described by the word "fun", there isn't much not to like and the film is overall well put together. The films starts out with a very promising layout of ancient Egypt in the time of Pharaoh Seti I. The special effects shown are very good and are far better than "normal" blockbusters of that time, the sequel, The Mummy Returns (2001), has far worse special effects, but is still an entertaining watch. The acting starts out a bit weak and the delivery is not too convincing for the setup of the story, luckily, the rest of the film improves greatly on this. Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz gave a good performance and Brendan Fraser as O'Connel just works. The comic relief is given by Kevin O'Connor as Beni and John Hannah as Jonathan, who both do an excellent job. O'Connor's role in aiding Imhotep is also very refreshing from the generic "funny guy" who is "just there", he has a purpose and never feels unneeded. One of the most hilarious scenes is when Beni tries to complement Imhotep on making a giant wall of sand to kill O'Connel. "I love this whole sand trick... it was beautiful... bastard", I laugh every time I see this scene, especially since Fraser was perplexed they kept that scene in the Film.

The action plays a very important role in The Mummy and refreshingly, it's done well and the camera-work is smooth and the editing doesn't dull the experience. Many blockbusters today make the mistake of editing too much, making a cut at the moment of impact, taking all the energy out of it. In The mummy, the camera lets you see when a hit is a hit without shaking the camera like a little child who has to get a flu-shot. The camera angles are wide and there is never annoying zoom-ins or weird close-up-and-then-pan-to-more-action-shots. Everything is just good and solid.

What makes this movie timeless, however unintuitive, are the special effects. Watching it, even in 2015, will not make you look at some effects and laugh about how bad they are. There are few classics that hold up this well to time. The half "juicy" (funny scene) mummy is ever as convincing and terrifying now as it was back then, a very impressive feat., It isn't intrusive or overdone, at the same time, the special effects are not the only thing that hold this movie up to being a very good experience. The music is very well done and is perfect for creating the atmosphere which makes this Films believable and exciting.

Watching the Film with Brendan Fraser's commentary is also a must, it makes re-watching the Film refreshing and it makes you laugh at even more scenes because you will remember Fraser's commentary the nth time you watch it.

The Mummy is a good Film, it knows what it is and is not afraid to sometimes mock itself. A must watch for when you want to see a very entertaining and excellent Film. Don't nit-pick every aspect of the movie and then, even if you have seen it 10 times before, it remains one of the best action Films in the action/adventure genre. Don't expect it to be a story without plot holes and just sit back and enjoy.

The Mummy

Author: DesertDogReviews from Northern Hemisphere
26 July 2014

Title: The Mummy

Condensed Storyline: A group of explorers discover the lost city of Hamunaptra, they soon awaken the mummy who hunts them down one by one to assimilate their organs and bodily fluids.

Notable Acting: Brendan Fraser is known for his role as Rick, and his role in the franchise is what some believe to have made the movie work in the first place. Needless to say, the other movies he's been in haven't been as good as his role here. Rachel Weisz plays the Evelyn who always needs rescuing as she is the damsel in distress. John Hannah plays everyones favourite coward Jonathan, he acts like a coward and ultimately is one in this movie and we love him for it. Kevin J. O'Connor plays a similar role to John Hannah in this movie but Kevin's character of Benny will side with who ever will give him money.

Noticeable Camera work: The movie is great at faming up its shots, especially for scenes of torture of death, making it so you can't see it, but still grasp the feeling of what is going on. Time lapse of a couple thousand years while we are looking a the statue of Anubis. Dolly shots following the action in the first fight scene Worms eye view of the Medjai

Graphics: The CGI in this movie is great for its time, be it the CGI for the mummy or the scarabs, it is great. The mummy looks like it is there, the effects that have been used with the sand are convincing and make to be an amazing movie.

Incorrect Science: The 'Book of the Dead' should be the 'Scroll of the Dead', because Ancient Egyptians didn't use books, they used scrolls only. The Roman Empire invented the book layout which is used today. Evelyn says that the scarabs ate Imhotep alive and very slowly, but every time we see them on screen, they always eat people within seconds. There were 5 canopic jars in the chest, but only 4 are used in actual mummification. Evelyn also mentions that they would take out all of the organs, this is incorrect as only the lungs, kidneys, intestines and stomach were put in canopic jars and the brain was removed and discarded. The heart and other organs were kept in. Imhotep fears cats because they are the guardians of the underworld, in actual Egyptian mythology, cats were worshiped as gods because they were connected to the goddess Bastet who was the goddess of motherhood and protection. The actual guardian of the underworld was Anubis who would guide the souls of the dead into the afterlife or the underworld.

Overall Feel: When I was younger, I had an ingrained fascination with Egyptology and this film was one of my all time favourites. So much so I watched this movie (Which is rated 15 for DVD) and I watched it over and over being only single digits in age at the time. So I will try and be not so bias in my review. This movie has its fair share of faults, especially when it comes to knowing about Ancient Egypt, but I would blame this more on the screen writers than anyone else. This is movie was made a year after Deep Rising, using a similar horror theme along with the actor Kevin J. O'Connor. Before this franchise, there were only mummy movies for the 'golden era' of cinema, which had the notoriously bad and some what cheesy effects that you would expect which classic monster movies, this movie made mummies cool again. This movie does have jump scares, but they are mild and are just there for the characters in the movie more than the audience.