IMDb > The Mummy (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Fun adventure film

Author: Bruce Jones (bl.jones@charter.net) from Southern California
6 July 1999

Here, the makers took the original stock horror film and turned it into an Indianajonesesque adventure in the tradition of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The most visually rich part of the film was the opening scenes set in ancient Egypt. I would love to see an entire film built around that. The sets and costumes were brilliant.

Especially tantalizing is the strictly painted-on attire of Patricia Velazquez as Anck-Su-Namum; what a stunning visual; but it completely upstages her performance. I have heard people talking about it. Some have mistakenly guessed her top was a mesh costume of some sort; not true, it is entirely - and only - paint.

But Velazquez isn't the only thing to turn heads in the film, Rachel Weisz is appropriately attractive, though not as startling; her character is as solid and believable as she is lovely.

The newcomer, Oded Fehr as Ardeth Bey, set quite a few female hearts aflutter; in our party, at least. The internet was lit-up searching for more photos of this guy.

At first, I didn't particularly care for Brendan Fraser as the primary character (he's too well kept and cutesy for a rugged guy-type for me), be he grows on you. He seems to be developing into a versatile actor who will be around for a long time. His work here is good too.

The special effects were the real star of the film, and they were visually rewarding and complimented the story in the right way in the right places. How Arnold Vosloo dealt with those in his role as the mummy Imhotep should be acknowledged. He must have had to imagine quite a bit of what he was interacting with to pull it off, and he does so with great style and substance for this type of role. He was nothing short of excellent.

In fact, most of the remaining characters were well chosen. Jonathan Hyde and Kevin J. O'Connor added to the film in important ways, too. Together, everyone painted an enjoyable film, delivering exactly what it promised; fun, action, and adventure.

Great fun in the vein of "Indiana Jones"...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
7 October 2003

"The Mummy" is an adventurous yarn in the vein of "Indiana Jones." It's a lot of fun, very charming, and never tries to be more than what it is. What is it? An entertaining summer flick which is not only worth seeing, but perhaps even owning. It's one of those fun movies you can return to over and over again and never grow tired of doing so.

It's hardly a remake of the Universal classic of the same name. It's merely a new way to tell the story with the same basic idea - a murderous mummy is brought back from the dead. This time we have a hero and heroine who must stop him before he takes over the world, or something along the line of world domination.

The hero is Rick (Brendan Fraser), a thief thriving off the very basics out in Egypt circa 1930. Arrested and to be hanged, he is saved by the heroine (Rachel Weisz), who believes he may hold the key to helping them find an ancient Egyptian kingdom buried under the sand, if I recall correctly (though it has been a while since I've seen this). Little does she know what lurks beneath the sand near that old kingdom is none other than the remains of a man who was caught cheating on the king's wife years ago and mummified.

Now, after unearthing the remains of the kingdom, the expedition led by our heroes come upon an ancient "Book of the Dead," which, when read from, brings the ancient mummy back to life. Now he is out to kill, regenerate and bring back his old lover - pretty neat, huh?

I own "Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy," a great movie spoofing the classic film. "The Mummy" isn't exactly a spoof but it's very tongue-in-cheek. It knows it isn't an Oscar-winner, it knows it stands nothing against the older film, and so it goes for pulp thrills. I actually believe that this film is a bit classy in execution - compared to many other entertainments floating around nowadays it stands as one of the only films to return to the roots of the pure adventure films like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) so successfully did.

Brendan Fraser is a perfect choice for the lead star. Calm, but with ironic and sarcastic humor; cool, but a strong lead. I wondered what it would have been like if they had casted an actor in his role who would have taken it all more seriously. I bet the results would have been disastrous. Fraser knows that this is all good fun, and he's having a good time playing his role with comedy. Every once and a while you can catch a wink at the screen that lets us know that he knows what he's doing.

2001 brought a sequel to "The Mummy" named, of all things, "The Mummy Returns." I found it just as fun as this film though some critics begged to differ. Summer 2002 brought yet another "Mummy" film, this one a prequel called "The Scorpion King" - it was a following of a co-star of the first sequel. The Mummy was not in it at all. It was a horrible film that wasn't near as fun as this one. So I recommend you see "The Mummy" as soon as humanly possible. After that, see "The Mummy Returns."

Either way, you simply can't go wrong.

Silly Fun

Author: catmom-2 from Los Angeles
12 May 1999

Citizen Kane it ain't, but if you're looking for good, silly, H. Rider Haggardesque fun, this is the film for you. While it hasn't replaced the Universal classic in my affections, let's face it, the venerable original creaks a little. I mean, Karloff's Imhotep only moves two feet per hour -- geez, how will I ever escape him? Arnold Vosloo's Mummy is considerably more fleet, and frankly (from the dirty old lady's perspective) is pretty darned buff for a dead guy. A modern affectation, sure, but I like the idea of a mummy with a great butt.

Brendan Fraser looks good, has a fabulous voice, and a whole boatload of goofy charm. Hey! Call me shallow, but that's pretty much all I'm looking for in a screen idol. John Hannah was acceptable, if not inspired, as the wastrel brother. Rachel Weisz is gorgeous, and acquits herself well in the role of "Heroine in an Adventure Film;" i.e., she screams and gets rescued a lot.

OK, I lie. The modern "Heroine in an Adventure Film" is SPUNKY, screams, and gets rescued a lot.

And as to Oded Fehr, who plays the mysterious desert guardian of the mummy's tomb (a role traditionally assayed by Welsh character actors) -- I and the rest of the ladies in my party indicated, through a series of incoherent grunts and some unattractive drooling, a strong desire to see much, much more of him. And we mean that both literally and figuratively. Powers that be, please take note.

A couple of small caveats: the bug quotient in this film is much higher than I usually tolerate. It puts you right off your Milk Duds. And where in the hell did those camels come from?

So if you're in a mood for brainless entertainment, I recommend that you set your intellect on stun, rush to the nearest cineplex, buy the large popcorn (WITH butter), and settle in for a couple of hours of colorful, loud, over-the-top fun.

Catmommie

A Superb Action Adventure !

Author: gatsby2244 from India
30 April 2005

This is one film that caught my imagination like very few other Hollywood action films I have seen before.Yes,on the face of it,this is another sci-fi action adventure,a surefire winning card for Hollywood -what's so special about that ?Oh yes,there is !To begin with,there is the scenery at the beginning of the film that completely blows you away,making you feel that this movie could be something above what you had expected.And you are not wrong.The first surprise is Brendan Fraser as the American soldier Rick O'Connell, who accidentally stumbles upon Hamunaptra,the city of the dead,where the wealth of Egypt's greatest emperor Seti the First is buried.After seeing him in "Airheads " ,"Dudley Do-Right " and " "George Of The Jungle",I was very very impressed-this is one actor who can do both comedy and action and look good doing it too !Then there is the beautiful Rachel Weisz ,playing Evelyn Carnahan,who teams up with him to find Hamunaptra.She looks great playing her role,and never allows herself to be upstaged by Fraser, matching his brawn with her ever-alive intellect and quick thinking.Kevin J.O'Connor who plays the double-crossing Beni is a very new kind of villain,looking evil and ridiculous at the same time.But when the resurrected high priest Imhotep( played by Arnold Vosloo)makes his appearance in the form of "The Mummy", everything else becomes secondary.This is CGI at its ultimate best,and precisely why the film is so unusually absorbing .The horror and threat surrounding the curse of the mummy becomes a concern not only for the protagonists in the film but also for the audience-how will they kill something this scary and powerful?, they ask themselves. .The special effects apart from the mummy are also a treat to watch,and keep you glued to your seat.The element that makes this film not only scary but also enjoyable is the dialog.Almost every member of the large cast has a one-liner that will make you laugh in spite of the sinister atmosphere surrounding the story.The script never allows one second of screen-time to be wasted, ideally combining action with fantasy and humor,creating a movie that I consider a classic.Director Stephen Sommers has delivered a film that is bound to stand the test of time,and is definitely one of my favorites.

Not much Horror, Just a Good Movie

Author: mjw2305 from England
25 January 2005

Rick O'Connell (Brendan Frazer) leads the beautiful Evelyn Carnahan (Rachel Weisz) to Hamunaptra (The City of the Dead) where reading from a book brings Imhotep (Pharaoh Seti I's High Priest) back to life.

Once revived Imhotep has only one purpose in this world, to bring his love 'Anck Su Namun' back from the dead to join him, and will kill anyone who gets in his way.

Although based on a Horror Theme, there is little horror on show here, but there are plenty of Great Action Moments, some brilliant visuals and some good humour.

The dialogue is well written and punchy, this combined with some great characters bring the story to life and it turns out to be a terrific Film that is more Action/Comedy than Horror.

Great Adventurous Fun!

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
23 July 2000

Certainly this Universal remake is more in the vain of Indiana Jones rather than the original Mummy. It is high on adventure and comedy, and wins because of it. The sets, scenery, special effects are all first-rate. The film is fast-paced from beginning to end and is very suspenseful. Stephen Sommers again shows his talent as a director for creating action-packed adventure with a high level of comedic overtones. The cast are all very good in their roles, yet none of them seem really to be taking themselves or the film too serious. Brendan Fraser is an affable hero, and Rachel Weisz makes a good heroine. Good support comes from John Hannah, Kevin J. O'Connor, and the mummy, Arnold Vosloo. Also a real treat was seeing Bernard Fox in a small role as an aging British pilot. Don't expect the old mummy of lore in this one, but sit down and have one heck of a ride...a rollercoaster of hijinks in the sands of Egypt.

Bit Overlong, But Still The Word Is 'Fun'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
1 April 2006

It seems like a long time ago when this came out, but I remember it being the first DVD I had ever bought sight unseen, meaning I had never seen the film in the theater. I was pleased. I got what I had hoped for: a fun, special-effects extravaganza.

In fact, if you read a number of reviews, you see the word "fun" more than anything. That best describes this film.

This was an Indiana Jones-Jason And The Argonauts combination adventure story. It's cartoon-like in nature with an absurd swashbuckling hero, outlandish action scenes and the occult theology that filmmakers love so much. (The Mummy has God-like powers, even producing Old Testament plagues.)

However, the film isn't all good news. It's too long by about 10-15 minutes and there is simply too much action and too much noise. The film needs more lulls.

Brendan Fraser is pretty good as the Indiana Jones figure and Rachel Weisz, a new face at the time, makes a solid impression in her debut. The DVD offered a sharp picture which highlighted a number of jaw-dropping scenes. It's pure escapist fun and not meant to be anything else.

A paradigmatic horror show guaranteed to keep audiences amazed and breathless.

Author: David Choi from New Jersey, USA
29 May 1999

From beneath the depths of Hell, the ultimate symbol of evil is about to be reborn. Beyond mortality, beyond death, this creature of the undead will rise. Darkness will fall for all of eternity...and this plague will forever swallow this planet Earth...

About two thousand years ago, in the land of Ancient Egypt, a well-respected high priest known as Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) has been a very naughty man. His one-stand with the Pharaoh's mistress may very well cost him his life. After the Pharaoh discovers this illicit, forbidden love affair, Imhotep and the mistress murder the heartless Pharaoh without second thoughts. As payback though, Imhotep is to suffer the gravest consequences...

Imhotep is eventually sentenced to die a most horrifying death. The Pharaoh's guards have buried him alive inside a tomb, complete with ravaging scarabs and all. What's even worse is that the guards have placed a disturbing curse upon the buried soul. Whoever opens the tomb of this ancient evil will awaken the curse that has lied dormant for thousands of ears. All shall suffer eternal damnation, as the Mummy will release its unstoppable powers upon the lands and onto the cities. His reign of terror will spread...

For twenty centuries, this soul has rested in peace... Jumping forward to 1925, a bunch of foolish archaeologists, driven by profit and ignoring all admonishments, have decided to open the tomb of the wretched Mummy. Well, that decision was foolish... Now, the armies of the dead will inhabit the Earth and evil will take over... Only Colonel Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser) and his brave team of courageous souls can prvent the Mummy's plans to rule the planet. Along with an alluring librarian and inspiring archaeologist (Rachel Weisz), her timid brother (John Hannah), and an even more craven sidekick, Beni (Kevin J. O'Connor), O'Connell and his company of wisecracking Smart Alec folks are mankind's last hope. This though, happens to be another incident where the good guys are at the wrong place at the right time. Heaven have mercy on these souls... Will faith spare human lives, or can the world kiss hope goodbye?

THE MUMMY is so much better than I originally anticipated. The special effects alone will blow you away! It is unbelievable how the Mummy is able to transform himself from a rotting, disintegrating corpse to a fully developed supernatural being, and even to a raging sandstorm. Also, those creepy crawly scarabs scare the daylights out of me! The scarabs literally crawl under people's skins! Impressive production values, capturing and recreating the ruins of Hamunaptra at its full glory, serve as another highlight for THE MUMMY.

Sure, there are also the monstrous zombies, the nightmarish flying locusts, and the fallen skies. Yes, there is also the requisite damsel-in-distress (and love interest) who captures Imhotep's heart. The venomous super-villain who must eat the flesh of others in order to survive is a plus as well. However, director Stephen Sommers (DEEP RISING) transcends beyond cliché material. He brings to the audience original ideas with a refreshingly cool tone. He makes sure that there is style within the special effects. The eye-popping FX in general will keep crowds contented, and then some.

It is tough to keep a straight face when watching this movie, but you have to praise Sommers and the cast for letting you have so much fun. Yes, the dialogue is indeed ridiculous as for some of the sequences. One scene that had me chuckling throughout was when all the slaves were synchronically chanting "Imhotep!" Kevin J. O'Connor finds himself having some of the best one-liners as he may eventually switch allegiances and serve a different master. Yes, the humor is somewhat gratuitous, granted. However, in all sincerity, the humor is needed to lighten the film's dark tone.

The acting is more second rate. Arnold Vosloo made a terrific villain and Rachel Weisz lights up the screen with her gorgeous presence. Fraser and O'Connor are great also. The rest of the cast is kind of listless though. In spite of that, THE MUMMY is a spectacular spectacle laced with show-stopping special effects and genuine chills. The music, composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith is pulse pounding and excellent. The orchestration is wonderful during this film's every thread of suspense.

Overall, THE MUMMY is one of the best blockbusters of 1999. Nonstop thrills and surprises galore highlight this enthusiastic, fun-filled entertainment. THE MUMMY has lots of fun and excitement. The only flaw that prevents this film from being a full fledged four star movie is its occasional lapses in credibility and coherence. At times, this film is extremely ludicrous, but who cares, its fanatically fun to watch. Genre fans, take note.

Remember, you cannot keep the dead buried forever...

RATING: ***1/2 out of ****.

This is one heck of a Mummy movie

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
3 May 2001

The title speaks for itself.This is arguably the greatest mummy movie ever made(well next to The Mummy Returns).You ask why is this the best one?Its the best one because it has a great story,good acting,beautiful sites at how it really was in acient egypt and some of the greatest visual effects ever seen by the human eye!Everything in The Mummy is fantastic!

Vosloo,Frasier,and Weisz and Fehr are very good in it.Lots of familiar faces are in this one too.

Listen to the music,buy the score,its by Jerry Goldsmith!

Oh,by the way,The Mummy Returns is coming out in a few days,the soundtrack is composed by Alan Silvestri(don`t worry,he did a terriffic job) is available now!Buy it,it is the most impressive music you will ever hear!

"We are in some serious trouble"

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
24 November 2003

In the 1990's, a stream of remakes came out after the universal horror films with the monsters: Dracula(Bram Stoker's Dracula), Frankenstein(Mary Shelley's Frankenstein), The Wolf Man(Wolf) and now The Mummy made after the same title. The original stared Boris Karloff and is truly a haunting movie. Despite the fact that slow moving mummies are not as scary of a villain, Boris brought in an incredible eerie performance that is so memorable that made mummies scary. How could we update the story to make mummies more terrifying to a newer audience? Make them faster? Make them smarter? How much they could control? How dangerous they truly are? They put a bunch of CGI into the film but somehow despite it being over the top at times, the story is what makes The Mummy into a great remake and respects the original making the mummy scary again.

In 1926, Cairo librarian and aspiring Egyptologist Evelyn is presented with an intricate box and map by her bumbling brother Jonathan, who says he found it. After the pair discover the map leads to Hamunaptra, Jonathan reveals he actually stole it from an American named Rick O'Connell, who is currently in prison. Rick tells them that he knows the location of the city because his unit reached the fabled city, only to be overrun by hostile Bedouins. He makes a deal with Evelyn to reveal the location of Hamunaptra, in exchange for Evelyn saving Rick from being hanged. Rick leads Evelyn and Jonathan's small expedition to the city, where they discover a mummy who Evelyn accidentally wakes up and he's after a band of American treasure hunters who have taken his treasures and wants Evelyn to bring back his true love that he died for.

I really liked the actors they put in this film. I know Brendan Fraiser isn't the best actor, but he really made me believe in him as an adventure hero almost to the likes of Indiana Jones. He's funny, smart, strong, charming and handsome, everything you could want. Rachel Weisz as Evelyn was beautiful, stubborn and smart, she was exactly what all these boys needed and had great chemistry with Fraiser. The humor is a lot, they use a lot of jokes which at times could take away from the film. The CGI is also a lot, but it added to the story and wasn't to the point of unbelievable. I thought the idea of having a faster mummy was more terrifying and that he wouldn't stop coming after his victims in such a horrific way was a great idea. I really did like The Mummy, I know it certainly has it's flaws, but it's just a fun adventure horror movie that really hooks you from beginning to end. The sequels just didn't add up well to this movie, I would recommend The Mummy any day. The haters honestly just don't know how to have any fun, any flawed film could still be a good time and The Mummy certainly is one one them.

Page 1 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]