IMDb > Beloved (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beloved

Beloved More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 21: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Beware

Author: culwin
12 March 2000

I went into this movie with an open mind. I knew it was a so-called "chick" movie. But I watched Steel Magnolias.

I knew it was 3 hours long. But I sat through the director's cut version of Dune. On TV. With commericals.

I was prepared.

3 long hours later, I emerged from the theater. Shaking and frightened, I stumbled to my car. Until now I have been unable to summon the courage and strength to describe the horror known as "Beloved".

It seems very obvious that luckiest ones were John Demme, the editors, and other cast members of this film. This is because they obviously did not watch the finished movie before releasing it!! If they had, they would have either edited the heck out of it, or completely reshot most of it! This movie is not just long and boring; there are many parts that don't even make any sense. While many parts of the movie are quite good, and the film itself was very well made (from the costumes down to the lighting), the plot goes from Touchy-feely to Social Commentary to Freddy Krueger-ish. If John Demme would have just taken the good parts of this movie, made some sense of the plot, and toned down the bizarr-o parts, this movie could have been 1,000 times better.

I can only recommend this movie to die-hard fans of Oprah, or those with a lot of time and a good fast forward button.

By the way, this is hardly your sterotypical "chick" movie. There is nudity, sex, rape, violence, and freaky stuff. So if you like to watch Oprah while having tea and crumpets with your knitting club, perhaps you should just stick to "Steel Magnolias". 4 out of 10.

Beloved has received an unfair and undeserved bad rap.

Author: thorne-2 from Los Angeles, California
14 May 1999

Roundly ignored at the box office and trounced by critics, Beloved deserves looking at. I saw it in the theaters before reading one word. I was moved, frightened, and impressed by the character point of view shots of scenes that were told in flashback, of the set design, and of the genuine emotion conveyed of over one hundred years of pain. Quite possibly it didn't fare well, because of its subtlety. It is not Toni Morrison's writing, but it delivers its goods visually, on it's on terms It shows you more than it tells, and can be taken as either a ghost story, or a portrait of a psychologically unsound narrator.

Oprah Was the Worst Thing to Happen to Toni Morrison's Novel

Author: evanston_dad from United States
22 June 2010

A painfully misguided attempt at adapting the soaringly beautiful Toni Morrison novel to the screen.

Oprah Winfrey was death to this movie. I remember her promoting it like it was medicine, something everyone should see because it would be good for them. And her ridiculous stories about channeling her slave ancestors while playing the character of Sethe were embarrassing, given the mediocre performance she delivers. Her slave ancestors must be rolling in their graves.

Director Jonathan Demme and company seem to completely miss the point of Morrison's novel, which was that African-Americans need to move past the atrocities of their heritage if they are ever to grow as a people. Instead, the movie focuses on pain, anger and resentment, and leaves one just feeling downright bad.

Grade: D

Disturbing, and not in a good way

Author: lawyerchik1 from United States
1 February 2006

I expected better from Oprah and others, but this movie was disturbing. Not because of the subject matter, but in the execution. It was hard to follow, disorganized and (in some respects) over-acted by the players. Plus, I think that despite the probable intent of the movie (and presumably the book) of showing how slavery (at its worst) treated human beings as animals, Sethe's character simply illustrated the animal nature unaffected by any shred of human compassion or sensitivity. She showed herself to be an animal, just like her former captors believed. The world is full enough of people with excuses for their bad choices and behavior - why spend so much time and money making yet another movie about them?

beloved is a great movie

Author: gothikbloodsucker666 from United States
9 February 2005

i think beloved is a very good movie it really gets u involved into the plot.And helps you relate to the events that African Americans went through everyday when enslavement legal. they knew to travel north to get to there destination aka Pennsylvania. back from the dead only to find out she was deceased. yet she went on finding out Wat happened to her mother in her mothers past. so she had a little more understanding for the grateful birth of her.she also knew that she was one of the lucky ones.due to the fact that she survived the enslavement of her mothers past.thats why i think beloved is a very good movie if you love drama and compassion then you will love the movie beloved.

The only thing "Beloved" about this was the credits

Author: Sam (SMorrilny@aol.com) from New York City
28 April 2005

I guess Beloved is a classic book, but the adaptation is unwatchable.

Oprah and Danny Glover are obviously talented as actors, but how did the director think people would want to watch this? It's just over the top. As for Beloved's character, she made me want to vomit countless times. I don't know if the director wanted her to sound retarded, but if he did, good job! They tried way too hard and used disturbing shots to try to capture the horror of the story, but psychological horror (as used in the book) is much scarier. This was punishment to watch. I only saw it because I had to for English class. Everyone in the class dreaded this period and actually looked forward to the paper so this would be over.

No wonder this bombed.

Flashback-Flash forward-Flash In The Pan

Author: Essayist from Arizona
22 October 1998

The first movie I walked out of and asked for a refund. It MUST have been a good book. I'll read it and see! But as a movie, it is disjointed, unorganized, and portrays all blacks as ignorant and oppressed while portraying whites as oppressive and sadistic. Much of the time, that may have been the case, but if a viewer is exposed to the "formula" long enough and often enough, the "formula" becomes a character of its own and we aren't permitted to empathize with the people.

Beloved movie

Author: Natty1225 from United States
26 January 2007

Believe it or not I saw Beloved tonight for the first time in its entirety..because I had seen pieces of it.

Very well played....but there were scenes hard to hear, very dark movie...and a little bit confusing .......if beloved was a spirit..why make her so real? having sex and all didn't like it too much but I recognize the good work done.

Oprah wanted to send a message but I don't think people really understood it...

and also do not understand why I HAVE TO write 10 lines of text if I have nothing else to say

I love this movie

Author: lisasilicio from United States
15 January 2007

I have watched this movie for many years being my absolute favorite..this year i half way watched it with my grandson(mixed) he is only 4 and i tried to explain to him a lot of things he asked me . because it is M.L.K. Jr. holiday I did the best i could considering his age. but he took it in. I doubt he understood. but a start. Anyway I must say I started watching this movie I love so much but all of a sudden it became a struggle I did not want to watch it but I was unable to turn it off.I was glad no one was here I cried such a hard cry from inside when I watched some parts I have never exp. before. The hurt I felt was so raw I cannot explain.as many times as I have watched this movie I tremble at the social injustice that I will never even being well European and knowing what name calling is about. but not so submerged as as African Americans. to feel the horror that I felt watching your movie this year.The stupidity. I fear , my grandson. he sees black rappers his father (escort operator) Of white women. he says he does not like black people. because he only sees negative images. I need him to embrace what he is . but how, who can help me. he is very intelligent.

Focus on the actors...

Author: eagleus21 from United States
25 November 2005

This movie was indeed long, somewhat confusing, and cinematically unique. I watched this movie because i remember hearing that it "flopped" at the box office. Oprah, Thandie Newton, Kimberly Elise, etc---never have i seen such dedicated acting. When you strip away the sometimes gross, overly drawn out elements of the movie, you are left with beautiful performances. Thandie Newton has definitely caught my attention because of the extreme lengths she went to get her character. Oprah--she should do more movies...maybe something a little closer to home, but definitely should act more. And we all know how great Kimberly Elise is. I give this movie a 10 for acting, but a 4 for everything else.