IMDb > Being John Malkovich (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Being John Malkovich

Being John Malkovich More at IMDbPro »

Page 74 of 85: [Prev][69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [Next]

Incredible

Author: Fannie-3 from Brussels
28 December 1999

This movie is fresh and funny. You forget everything when you sit and start seeing it. I wish I could meet the director and also the actors to realize maybe that it is just a movie and that the caracters don't really exist, otherwise I just get mad and think that there is a 7 1/2 floor somewhere in NY.

We're all puppets

Author: Hans Van Nuffel from Zemst, Belgium
18 December 1999

John Cusacks character desperately wants some recognition for his dark-artistic puppeting. He finds a way to do so by literally getting into John Malkovitches head.

This movie has enough material for 6 other movies. Love, claustrophobia, gender-confusion, capitalism, dreams, parody, frustration, hope, birth, reincarnation, transportation, satire, cameos, action, childhood memories, animal intelligence, low ceilings, rabbit holes, rich and famous, Charlie Sheen and many more...

A hilariously funny insight into the human psyche. Truly amazing both as a character and society study.

very very very good!

Author: miro-6 (miroviglianesi@gmail.com) from miami beach
11 December 1999

I can't understand why this beautiful movie is cashing so little at the box office. Story is very original and full of new ideas. Acting is very good. Time runs fast with a lot of fun. Everything is genially. My only suggest is this: go and watch, you will remain satisfied for sure. If you already watched: The Matrix,American Beauty,Fight club you don't get nothing else to watch which is good like Being J. Malkovich. Maybe the title is ugly and does not reflect the soul of this movie but if you wasted seven dollar watching a garbage like ******* ******** you could spent One Million to watch a real "cameo" like this fantastic film. (I'm not a J.Malkovich friend or something like) Miro Viglianesi

--it's so spike jonze--

Author: Esther Lin from new york, ny
11 December 1999

Probably everyone's mentioned this, but this is the kind of movie that could only come out of the "buddy holly" video itself. I don't think I've had this much fun in a long time and that's not a bad thing. This is probably the only entertaining movie I've seen this year that happened to also set it for me and stand out.

Yeah yeah yeah, American Beauty was funny and gorgeously filmed but too easy all at the same time that it felt like "accessible intelligence for the masses" or something. Whereas this movie doesn't require you try to pretend you're seeing some honest portrayal of Americans. You just know it is but would rather say it was the most hilarious film.

Original, surrealistic, and enjoyable.

Author: Jerry Dean from Springfield, Missouri
10 December 1999

In this day and age it's hard to find a movie that truly is something that you've never seen before. "Being John Malkovich" is that movie.

A very bizarre visual trip put on film. Odd characters, odd settings, an odd plot, just a damn odd movie!

Very surreal and enjoyable. It was definitly worth the price of admission.

Dark Comedy with an existential edge

Author: hellboy-7 from Austin Texas
8 December 1999

After leaving the theater, I was not only deeply engrossed in the creepy feeling of the over all concept, but also wanting to view the film again simply of the astounding puppeteer work. I found this film struck an excellent balance between comedy/fantasy and realistic introspection.

I don't know how long it will take me to get the image of when John M. enters his own portal out of my subconscious.

I highly recommend this film for those who enjoy fantasy with a dark, realistic edge.

Hilarious and twisted!

Author: matthewr60 (matthewr60@aol.com) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 December 1999

Being John Malkovich is a superb film. The twists in the movie and the oddball humor is original and inventive. Everything fits perfectly together in the ending. Cameron Diaz deserves an Oscar for her zany, off-the-wall performance!

Perhaps the most unusual movie I have ever seen

Author: Josh Shrier (wwms@pacbell.net) from San Francisco, CA
7 December 1999

I went to see this movie at the recommendation of a friend. After coming out of the theater, my friend and I both agreed that this movie was very strange. Although it was strange, this movie is one of the few films I have seen that really makes you think. The story takes a number of intriguing twists and turns. John Cusack turns in a great performance as an obscure and confused man. Cameron Diaz is almost unrecognizable in comparison to her other roles. If you like to think and be challenged at the movies, this film is for you. If you're are looking for mindless entertainment, stay home.

I can't believe that people didn't like this movie

Author: tchow
3 December 1999

I can't imagine how anyone could not like this movie. There are a few type of people that won't like it: - people who question everything - why water is flourinated, why we still use glass bottles, etc - malcontents - people that can walk outside on a warm, sunny day and honestly say that the weather is bad. - people that analyze everything. You won't like this movie if you think that you can reveal someone's innermost thoughts by examining what they ate for lunch.

Don't expect to find any deep, hidden meaning from this movie. It will not reveal the meaning of life. It will not touch on the philosophical issues of the plot. Watch it to be entertained. Don't analyze the characters to death. Accept what is presented and the plot works out fine.

I'm not saying this film is the best every made, just that it is entertaining and nothing more. This film doesn't fit into any genre. It's mainly comedy and drama but excels at neither and that is the main problem (although irrelevent to the enjoyment of the movie) of this film.

If you want to be entertained, don't let the naysayers scare you away from this movie. If you want to analyze stuff and look for deeper meanings in the plot, go read a good book. Heart of Darkness by Conrad will keep you up for nights.

The coolest movie......Ever!

Author: MU_1980 (mutigermutt@collegeclub.com) from Columbia, Missouri
3 December 1999

Being John Malkovich was one of the best movies I've seen this year. With Spike Jonze, the most awesome director of the decade behind it, I knew it had to be at least original. But after seeing it, I was like, whoa, this is awesome. Good plot, good acting (especially by my main man John Cusak) and also a breakout hottie.....Catherine Keener. Rowwwwwwr, where did she come from? I saw her in Living in Oblivion like 4 years ago, but she wasn't as fine as she is now. G-damn. Okay, off subject. Anyway, I highly suggest seeing this movie, you won't be disappointed. If you are, then you're basically admitting your IQ is lower than 70 points.