IMDb > Being John Malkovich (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Being John Malkovich

Being John Malkovich More at IMDbPro »

Page 60 of 85: [Prev][55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [Next]

Thought Provoking Film, worth watching

Author: Ben_Bernardo from Cloquet, Minnesota
14 February 2004

I just saw being John Malkovich, and I was blown away by the idea of the story. But, I wish there was a bit more adventure/fantasy here, and less of the relationships of the characters. But it was still good. 7.5/10

A curious movie

Author: dadie from Roma, Italy
31 January 2004

Many friends of mine suggested to watch it, unfortunately I succeeded to do it very late and I am sorry because it is a very good movie. It is something new, good idea, nice story, completely different from usual targets. It could be seen as a poem, it is quite unreal, but it let us feel a nice dream. The story is a piece of geniality and cinema needed it. I don't want to describe scenes or to say the plot, I want just to offer the possibility to anyone who didn't watch it to do it as soon as possible. Malkovich is one of my favourite actor and here is brilliant also because he take joke of himself. Good interpretation from John Cusack, while a surprise could be Cameron Diaz, but who watched `Last supper' can understand that sometimes (rarely) she can take part of a well done movie. Sorry for my English! I'll be better in next

A Film That Leaves You With Mixed Emotions

Author: jcanettis from Athens, Greece
30 January 2004

"Being John Malkovic" is certainly not a typical film. On the contrary, the ingeniuity of its plot is definitely its most strong point: A loser puppeteer who discovers a portal who makes people get into John Malkovic's brain, is persuaded by his evil colleague Maxine with whom he has fallen in (one-way) love with, to turn it into a profitable business. However, things get much more complicated when his hippy and animal-loving wife enters the portal and finds out that she has the hots for Maxine too! And this is just the beginning of the story, with more twists to follow later... However, ingenious the scenario might be, it gets at some point a bit over-stretched. The result is that when the movie ends, you are a bit overwhelmed with what you have just watched, and you are left with mixed emotions. This does not mean that the movie is not good: The performance of all the actors is great (with Malkovic being an excellent... Malkovic!), whereas the movie certainly does not let you get bored as the plot develops at a fast pace. The movie gets a 7/10 overall.

A brilliantly original piece of fictional film making

Author: Patrick (mrpink000) from Perth, Australia
20 January 2004

From the creators of Adaptation and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Director Spike Jonze and writer Charlie Kaufman), Being John Malkovich is a splendid and incredibly original film which on top of the unique script boasts an all-star cast (John Cusak, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener and John Malkovich).

The plot is unique and complex and centers around the life of Craig Schwartz (John Cusak), an unemployed and unsuccessful puppeteer. His simple, modest life takes an abrupt and confusing turn when he accepts a job as a file clerk on the 7th and a half floor of an office building in NYC. Here he becomes obsessed with a co-worker, Maxine (Catherine Keener) and starts to fantasize of a romance with her, despite his marriage (to wife Lotte (Cameron Diaz)).

Things become even more strange and complicated when Craig discovers a portal in his office, which, when entered, takes you into the head of famous actor, John Malkovich (playing himself). From here on in the the lives of Craig, Lotte and Maxine become entwined, complicated and very strange as they attempt to work out the best possible solution for their own problems, needs and desires.

Being John Malkovich is one of the most brilliant, original and unique films of the last decade, if not of all time. Kaufman's script combined with Jonze's directing is the perfect match and compliments each others unique way of story telling, pushing all the boundaries of fictional story telling and creating an utterly compelling and clever film.

An excellent film - 8/10!

Brilliant, and truly original.

Author: Manthorpe from Austin, TX
12 January 2004

A struggling puppeteer, Craig (Cusack), and his animal-obsessed wife (Diaz) become mesmerized by the discovery of a portal into the mind and body of John Malkovich, which is found in the office at Craig's new job. Craziness and weird situations ensue.

Possible Spoilers herein: (but if I do, they won't be too revealing)

This movie is another great example of how Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman can pump out some truly original films not typical of today's regurgitation-style film-making. I decided to watch this film after thoroughly enjoying Adaptation. Cusack and Diaz show off their acting skills in this movie, which was a surprise for me because I typically don't like the movies they both choose to be in. John Malkovich was cast perfectly as the host to which a portal to his mind exists. He's a weird guy, so it fits perfectly.

The idea that there is a portal out there in which you can experience being someone else is truly awesome, and makes a great premise for a movie. I also like how the portal dumps it's occupants on the side of the road on the New Jersey turnpike when the ride is over. Kaufman seems to have a knack for making quirky but wholly original films and is why I can't wait for their next project.

This movie has it all, comedy, romance, reality, fantasy and fun. The jokes in this movie are executed beautifully and made me laugh out loud several times. I love almost everything about this movie, the actors, the screenplay, the comedy and fantasy, and the ending. Ahhhh. Catherine Keener is also great in this film as Maxine, and man is she sexy! It was no surprise when both Craig and his wife wanted to get with her, and pined over her. I loved her character in the movie, even if she was an evil floozy.

My only qualm with the movie was trying to figure out why all of those old people would want to go into Malkovich at once and share his mind and body. Personally, I'd rather just die. I think the movie could've done with them, but that's just me. Other than that, it's perfect. 9/10.

Malkovich?

Author: Love Kölle (l_k_lle@hotmail.com) from Stockholm, Sweden
21 December 2003

Wow. It took me quite a while to realize the true genious of this film, which, when seen in it's right light really comes of as a masterpice of modern cinema. This picture bares no resemblance with anything you have seen before, and the very essence of the plot is uniqe to the very end, dispite being a very philosophical issuethat man probably has been thinking of/about since the dawn of time. Really, how would you like to be some one else? Whilst on the subject, how would you like to be the award winning actor John Malkovich?

With astounding preformances from a great set of actors, a script to die for, directing that will be remembered as nothing but excellent, and a set of events occuring that is on the edge of Pyhtonesque in it's amazing humor and wittyness, "Being John Malkovich" really has an aura of perfection like few movies. To be compared with Citizen Kane, Brazil, Metropolis and other works of genious. I love this film. ***** out of *****.

The definition of Off-Beat

Author: Andrew Marshall from United Kingdom
1 December 2003

This is a very original movie and it's always good when you see something original coming out of Hollywood. The film also manages to make Cameron Diaz look unattractive - amazing !! John Cusack must be one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood and he puts in another fine performance as the puppeteer. When he starts a regular job he finds a portal into John Malkovich. Now this will not be everybody's cup of tea, but if you like off-beat films this is for you.

Defies description

Author: quixoboy from Ottawa, Ontario
3 October 2003

I really didn't know what to say when those final credits abruptly started rolling amongst the confounding final images of the enigma that is "Being John Malkovich". How surreal can one single film be? The sheer amount of concepts, imagery, lines, structures...it's clearly a revolutionary picture, as far as I'm concerned. No doubt about that. Very rarely do I finish watching a picture with such a disturbed, bewildered reaction as I had when my viewing of this ended. Now, I've become newly re-interested in the phenomenal genius of the two major behind-the-scenes men who put this together: Spike Jonze, and Charlie Kaufman.

How unbelievably wild, off-the-wall, and just plain "OUT THERE" can two guys be?? These guys are absolute lunatics! I couldn't believe my eyes! Not to mention the terrific casting and the amazingly-crafted storyline (that I have yet to fully comprehend, not surprisingly) - and of course, a signature scene that, I feel, will remain as one of the few most spectacularly messed-up sequences in motion picture history I have ever seen! (That would be the "Malkoviches in the restaurant" scene) Wow! What a memorable gem! Need I say more? Is there really anything else one can say about this? It's all been said before; I totally commend and give major, MAJOR props to all involved in such a great film that truly stands out as one of the most groundbreaking and innovative films of the 20th century's closing. Spike Jonze - also a world-renowned music video guru - is definitely a fascinating young talent to watch.

Unusual!

Author: (anusree) from Bangalore, India
16 September 2003

'Being John Malkovich' belongs to a class by itself. It is what one can call weird but wonderfully enjoyable. The story centres around a puppeteer,his wife and their obsession with being John Malkovich. The concept, the plot and the characters of this film are far from ordinary. John Cusak is convincing as the highly eccentric and almost partly insane puppettier. Cameron Diaz plays his wife, she isn't too bad but doesn't exactly shine. Catherine Keener gives an interesting performance and John Malkovich is supposed to play himself, but amazingly he doesn't. The cumulative effect will leave you amused and wondering if you are still sane. This one is not for everyone, and it has its own brand of humor. At the end an eccentric but enjoyable film that you don't want to miss.

Its good but I was also disappointed

Author: MF210 from Baltimore
6 September 2003

My Rating: ***1/4 out of ****.

Being John Malkovich was a movie I watched this summer. I had heard good things about it so I was excited. When I was done my thoughts were It was good but disappointing.

The reason I think Malkovich is disappointing is in its script. Charlie Kaufman has come up with a brilliant, original idea. But I didnt find the dialogue anything special, it was only a tiny cut above average. The idea was great and the film has some brilliant scenes, for example, the restaurant full of Malkovich's was the best scene of the movie. Its just that I felt not enough effort was put into the dialogue. Being John Malkovich was actually more entertaining than funny.

But Spike Jonze seemed to have an idea of what hes doing. He gets good performances from the cast. John Cusack is quite good here, and im not a huge fan of him. However, I am a huge fan of Cameron Diaz and she does very good work here. Catherine Keener was good, but definitely not worth an oscar nomination. However, the standout is John Malkovich. Its really difficult for an actor to play himselves, and Malkovich does a great job.

I liked Being John Malkovich, also worth mentioning was the ending which I thought was really sad, but the movie becomes a bit uneven from the dialogue. If the dialogue was improved, Malkovich would have gotten at least a *** 1/2.