The Bachelor (1999) Poster

(1999)

105 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Dire
Damfino18953 April 2002
Why, oh, why do they try and remake Buster Keaton's movies, he was such a master of his craft that it is near impossible to make anything near as good as his original movies. Saying that, even if I hadn't seen 'Seven Chances' before seeing this I'd still have the same opinion, Chris O'Donnell had the potential to be a star, but, he has the inability to know a good script and this is a classic example. None of the characters are particularly endearing, Arte Lange is plain annoying and seeing Ed Asner and Hal Holbrooke was saddening. Rene Zellwegger is as usual very good, which is about the only positive thing in this sorry excuse of a movie.

Major plothole, how come all the brides turn up at the church in full, perfectly fitting bridal regalia on only a few hours notice? Are we supposed to believe that all women have a perfect wedding outfit in their wardrobe 'just in case'? And amazingly, the wedding dress found for Anne fits like a dream, an amazing coincidence or what!! At least in Keaton's version the 'brides' are in their normal clothing with just cobbled together veils to distinguish them as brides, far more convincing.

My advice, hunt down a copy of the original 'Seven Chances', there is no comparison. Note to reviewer Matt Doolittle, BusterKeaton was an amazing man, but, even he couldn't direct a film 33 years after his death.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
MovieAddict201624 February 2003
SOME MINOR SPOILERS (REGARDING THE PLOT - NOT WHAT HAPPENS)!

"The Bachelor"

Chris O'Donnell stars with Renee Zellweger in the 1999 remake `The Bachelor,' a film about `the true meaning of love.'

Jimmie Shannon (O'Donnell) is your average 29-year-old bachelor: he doesn't want to let the good times come to a stop. But after he is pushed by friends to propose to his girlfriend Anne (Zellweger), he does so, and accidentally says some regrettable things in the proposal line (`You win!').

After a fuming Anne refuses to respond to any of Jimmie's calls in the days to come, Jimmie comes to a realization that the relationship is over. And then it happens. His grandfather passes away, leaving 100 million dollars to Jimmie. What's the catch, you ask?

He must find a wife in twenty-seven hours to get the money.

And so, the game is on, as Jimmie proposes to all his old girlfriends, including Ilana (Mariah Carey), Daphne (Jennifer Esposito), Buckley (Brooke Shields), but before all them, a re-proposal to an ever-softened Anne, who realizes before saying `Yes' that Jimmie is not ready to get married.

`The Bachelor' is a remake of `Personal,' `How a French Nobleman Got a Wife Through the 'New York Herald' Personal Columns,' `Meet Me at the Fountain,' and `Seven Chances,' all of which I have not seen. Therefore, I have nothing to base my review on. Also, therefore, I enjoyed this film. It may be a bit odd at times, especially the end, but overall it is just fun. It is a good escapism film where one can sit back, relax, and forget their worries.

Chris O'Donnell may not be a great actor, but he pulled off Jimmie Shannon enough to not raise any eyebrows.

I found Renee Zellweger to be quite good as Anne, providing a typical `woman moment,' when she, after Jimmie makes an awful proposal to her, grabs some food and hogs down.

James Cromwell is best as `The Priest,' who Jimmie carries around all day to perform a marriage on the spot. I love the deadpan expressions Cromwell carries throughout the whole film, until the end, where he finally speaks to Jimmie about love.

`The Bachelor' may not have the greatest character development, and the end was a bit more than odd (too much so to call it `original'); but I still enjoyed the film. At its heart lies a refreshingly fun comedy with a disclaimer: `Please detach brains before viewing.')

Dumb fun. Nothing less, nothing more.

3/5 stars –

John Ulmer
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So Many Brides, so little time
triple817 April 2005
SPOILERS THROUGH:

The Bachelor is a sweet, rather dull romantic comedy starring Rennee Zelweger and Chris O'Donnell. It's a movie that almost seems to promise hilarity yet strangely the movie isn't that funny. In fact it's not that interesting either though certainly not unwatchable. Yet for some reason, even though this movie contains two warm likable charismatic leads, the movie never picks up steam.

I think there were a few things that I did not like here, one being the playing out of a very funny premise. But the movie, even though it's not that long, gets rather irritating. The whole thing centers on O'Donnell proposing to various women and while it was fun at first, none of the women are in their scenes long enough to make a strong comedic impression and Zelwegger herself, while coming across as charming and sweet as always, is somewhat underused. Her main point seems to be moaning about her problems with Jimmy. In the meantime, the viewer can't make up their mind whether Jimmy is a nice guy or a jerk, mainly because he keeps switching back and forth and we never get to see him one aspect of his personality for to long.

The movie becomes a bit tedious as well as Jimmy races around in search of new ex girlfriends to propose to so he can get his inheritance. It should be laugh out loud funny but isn't. I was moderately interested in how it turned out but also wanted it to end. It was a given that these two would wind up together anyway.

The movie didn't seem to contain enough truly hilarious material and with a premise such as this, it should have, because this is a great situation on which to build a romantic comedy. I thought there would be unforgettable one liners and I'd be falling out of my seat....did not happen at all. However with this cast, particularly Zelwegger I'd never call it bad, just strongly lacking in some areas, particularly the comedic.

And then we come to the famous scene with the hundreds(or thousands?) of Brides chasing Jimmy. Now if any scene had the potential to be UTTERLY HILARIOUS it was that one. But it doesn't happen. The brides aren't funny, their annoying, and by that time one just wants them to stop chasing the groom so he can marry Renee Zelwegger and the movie can end. It's another scene that should be hysterical but just fell flat.

In closing, this is watchable but a bit disappointing and not very funny though the end is very romantic and big fans of Zelwegger may want to check it out, that was my main reason for doing so. My rating is 5 of 10.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch "Seven Chances"
Cristian-31 October 1999
The sight of an army of brides in white chasing a man down the streets is a very unusual and funny one. It was especially funny the first time around, with Buster Keaton. In "Seven Chances" (1925) old stone face played a man who had been left an inheritance of a large sum of money ($7 million)under the condition that he get married before his next birthday...which happens to be the following day. His efforts to find a willing bride results in ridicule, a car wreck, etc. He finally puts an ad in the paper, telling the circumstances, and asking for the applying bride to meet him at the church. At least a thousand women ranging from fat, small, young, old, beautiful, downright misshapen arrive at the church. Well, the same exact thing happens in this movie "The Bachelor" (though inflation has turned $7 Million into $100 million), only I gotta say the Keaton version is still the original and unsurpassed (and unsurpassable) masterpiece. I actually couldn't believe they named it "The Bachelor", it's a very boring title.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There will be no gala tenth anniversary edition released.
gagewyn17 January 2000
If you are looking for a non intellectually stimulating romantic comedy, and this is on TV and you arenÕt really going to pay attention, and your main alternative to watching is staring at the wall, then you are in luck. The Bachelor is the sort of movie that seems about eight years old as soon as it comes out on TV. The special effects involving various men running with horses look about this old.

Basically the film revolves around the idea of bachelors as stallions powerful wild and free, the idea of true love, and functions as a frame work for ÒcuteÓ romantic cliches about true love and what not. Basically the best part that lasts more than thirty seconds is the proposal with Buckley. This is not worth watching the movie for.

The only non paid for reference (read non advertisement) to this movie that I have seen is something about Mariah Carey: from singing to acting, but this is the sort of ÒactingÓ that a fan would not want spread around. Oh well so much for long term artistic merit or historical value of any kind.

What interests me most about this movie is what bystanders thought when they saw the scenes with hundreds of wedding dress clad bride hopefuls storming the streets, running up and down the same hill over and over again until they got the perfect take, and generally walking around the city. The wedding dress scenes are very impressive and alone are almost worth watching the movie previews for. It is kind of sad that some sort of candid camera clip of bystanders staring at a bunch of actresses in wedding gowns would probably be more exciting than the movie, but thatÕs the way it is with The Bachelor.

I didnÕt think that this movie was worth my time, but some people just love happy little romantic comedies. I realize that I am not in this group, and consider this to be the worst movie that I have paid to see this year. Try as I might I will never get back my 5 dollars and the 90 minutes of my life spent on this movie. If you do watch this do something else, preferably something distracting, at the same time. Given any alternative donÕt watch this.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
OK, so it's like this, see.....
I got this DVD for free, with a chicken dinner, no less. The chicken dinner was not very good but it was way better than this movie. Actually, I don't think I've ever rated a movie a 1 before, but that's only because IMDb does not allow a minus or a zero. The cast, I can't believe they would even come within a mile of this horrendous bomb, but they did, many of them, all broke, I suppose. Ed Asner, Hal Holbrook (who has one of the most appalling jobs - a father offering his 15 year old daughter as a bride to the most absolutely appalling cad), James Cromwell, Renee Zelweger and on and on. There is no script, no development of character (apart from a tiny slice of the James Cromwell bit)so many clichés it should be shown as how NOT to make a movie. I did not see it all the way to the end, my gag meter had maxed out and I needed to take a breath of fresh air. Shame on all concerned. 1 out of 10 for those 1000 unfortunate bit player brides running through San Francisco.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The same unfunny joke is played over and over; flat, predictable, underdeveloped. * out of ****.
Movie-122 December 1999
THE BACHELOR (1999) *

Starring: Chris O'Donnell, Renée Zellweger, James Cromwell, Hal Holbrook, and Brooke Shields Directors: Buster Keaton and Gary Sinyor Running time: 101 minutes Rated PG-13 (for language and some sex-related dialogue)

By Blake French:

New Line Cinema appears to be on a losing streak this year with releasing flops and encountering narrow critical success with their productions. From "Drop Dead Gorgeous" to "Detroit Rock City," to "Body Shots" and now "The Bachelor." This movie is a romantic comedy that contains such a flat feeling and predictable plot, it is arguably the worst film released by this production company all year.

"The Bachelor" accommodates a story centering on undeveloped characters and the one dimensional situations they are placed into. The male romantic lead here is played Chris O'Donnell, and his name is Jimmie Shannon, who is supposedly in love with the usually dependable Renée Zellweger, where here is Anne. Jimmie and Anne are developed within a brief three minute opening scene where one meets the other at a coffee house when they exchange about ten words with each other. Their conversation is of pointless proportions, and has no clue of preparing any romantic chemistry or witty dialogue for us. Thus there is no believable quality between Anne and Jimmie, and this is just the opening sequence. How can a romance be effective if we don't buy the couple as a couple from the first scene?

We couldn't care less about the characters so far in the film, mainly because we lack knowledge concerning them. But soon afterward, Jimmie proposes to Anne at a fancy restaurant, where for some reason, she is offended at his verbal presentation. You see, the film is so hopeless for romantic tension, it uses the Anne character as a stubborn, unhappy brat in attempt to raise it. The film requires a delay in the engagement, due to an upcoming gimmick.

Now we have Anne angry at Jimmie, hence taking a trip to some place far away in the very near future--business matters. These events are present is to increase what little dramatic tension there. It also requires Jimmie to clean up his act before Anne leaves. Then one of his old relatives die, whose will leaves Jimmie over one hundred million dollars, if his current life applies toward his requirements: basically he has to be married within a day.

The conflict is introduced in the beginning of the second act, instead of at the start the picture. Not that it really matters where the problem is brought to our attention, because we don't care about the outcome of any relationship here. The rest of the film has Jimmie running from ex-girlfriend to ex-girlfriend desperately proposing to each so he can receive the cash promised. After a brief appearance by a popular pop singer, to an almost successful wed to a bitchy character played by Brooke Shields, Jimmie only finds himself deeper in love with the girl in his heart, Anne.

I will not announce if Anne and Jimmie find true love in each other. Nor will I say if Jimmie inherits the millions left to him. The only thing we know by the trailers and posters is that somehow Jimmie will be trailed by hundreds of angry bride-to-be's down the streets of his home town. This scene is highly anticipated, and energetic, but never really funny. The way it is carried out wreaks of hilarity, but lacks slapstick quality, and believe it or not, it doesn't provoke any laughs. The supporting roles are overacted and exaggerated, but the main characters are greatly underplayed. The two romantic leads are boring, shallow, witless puppets of the plot. That is most certainly the reason why I found myself enjoying the side characters. Brooke Shields contributes an effective performance with a small side character. And James Cromwell, as a kind-hearted priest, is easily the most interesting character in the movie--the only thing is, he utters but ten lines throughout the movie.

The performances from Chris O'Donnell and the Renée Zellweger come off as dreadfully dual, unimaginative and withered. O'Donnell doesn't bring any charm to his otherwise likable character, and ends up performing with conventional, utterly undertaken style. And Zellweger, who was so good in "One True Thing," has nothing to do here, beyond following the commands of the plot. What a colossal disappointment.

Another thing absent in "The Bachelor" is laughs, which are no where to be found. The way the film is portrayed is not funny at all, mainly because after the gimmick is introduced we receive more and more of the same unfunny marital. This is due to the severe lack of concern for the characters. One of the viewers I screened the production with literally fell asleep during this movie. She says that this is because it is boring. I say it is because we care so little and know so little about the characters, we feel tired and slumberous.

Conclusion Statement: Half way through "The Bachelor" I still did not know the character's names. And personally, I never did care enough to learn them.

Brought to you by New Line Cinema.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
OK
Monika-53 January 2000
I thought this movie was OK. Chris O'Donnell and Renee Zellweger turn in OK performances. I think the language was too strong for a PG-13 film, and the film really lost steam in the last half hour or so. I liked the character of the priest, and Brooke Shields has an amusing cameo here. But the film on the whole isn't very good, and is forgettable. I think the premise was good and the execution was poor.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Never Gets Off The Ground
jhclues13 September 2000
Anytime you come across a comedy that's well written, superbly acted and delivered, and really funny to boot, it's a treat. Unfortunately, `The Bachelor,' directed by Gary Sinyor, is not one of them. Beginning with the voice-over narration of star Chris O'Donnell, which draws an inane analogy between young, single, American males and wild mustangs, and on through the rest of the contrivances of the lame story, right to the end, this movie is a disaster. Right out of the gate, it breaks the first rule of successful comedy: Play it straight, and they will laugh. O'Donnell reads the narrative in a lilting, sing-song manner that plays down to the audience; it implies, `This is funny, you can laugh now.' Never mind that it isn't funny, that there's nothing at all in what he's saying that makes you want to laugh. The intent, I believe, with this movie, was to make a romantic comedy; what they ended up with is the most unromantic drivel you can possibly imagine. When Jimmie Shannon (O'Donnell) asks his girlfriend of three years, Anne (Renee Zellweger), to marry him, she turns him down because his proposal is so crass; the worst ever made. Ironically, it comes in one of the worst scenes possibly ever filmed. Watching it takes you out of the story and almost makes you embarrassed for the actors. The next day, Jimmie's grandfather (Peter Ustinov) dies and leaves him over one hundred million dollars, provided he is married by 6:05 p.m. (the time he was born) on his thirtieth birthday, which happens to be in `Twenty-seven hours and change.' Since the girl he loves has given him the gate (and rightfully so, because this guy is a real jerk) he spends the rest of the movie contacting old girlfriends, trying to find one who is willing to marry him. And for the audience, it makes for nothing more than one long, make that LONG, endurance test. O'Donnell brings nothing to the character of Jimmie; he is merely boring and tiresome. Talk about a less than sympathetic character. Renee Zellweger, whose career has been on a roll since `Jerry MaGuire' goes into a tailspin here. She does her best with what she has to work with, but it's not enough. That there's no chemistry between Anne and Jimmie is not her fault; O'Donnell is just so unappealing in this role, he couldn't make sparks with a flint. The talented supporting cast, which includes Hal Holbrook (O'Dell), Ed Asner (Gluckman), James Cromwell (Priest), Artie Lange (Marco) and Marley Shelton (Natalie) is wasted here, as well. Mariah Carey makes a brief, inauspicious appearance as one of Jimmie's former girlfriends, Ilana, in a scene better for all concerned had it wound up on the cutting room floor. The single high point (if you can call it that) amid all of this dreck, is the scene in which Brooke Shields turns in a notable performance as Buckley, another of Jimmie's girlfriends. She plays her with an aloofness that actually makes her endearing; and to find that in the midst of this film is a minor triumph. To put it as succinctly as possible, this is a bad movie. There's not a laugh to be had, and even the attempted slapstick and sight gags fall short, which proves that nothing can save a project that begins with a screenplay as acerbic and obtuse as this one. Personally, I refuse to walk out on even the worst movies, or to even turn off a video without sticking it out to the bitter end; it's like a code I live by. With this film, though, I must confess, I honestly came as close as I ever have to breaking my own rule. I rate this one 2/10.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I gave it a chance...
Ferrick26 April 2000
I didn't want to see this movie because it looked bad and Chris O. and Rene Z. are very overrated. When my wife brought it home from the video store, I groaned but decided to give it a fair chance. From the start, I knew I was right about this movie. The basic premise is interesting, albeit, not very realistic. I chuckled in a few places but had to grit my teeth and bite my tongue through the rest of it. The acting was forced, very stiff, and the lines were delivered with poor timing. I didn't believe either of the main characters because they seemed to be reading straight from the script. I won't even bother mentioning all the timeline impossibilities. Basically, this was a bummer of a movie. 'Nuff said. Now, where can I get a hold of the Buster Keaton version? That sounds good.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this