"Armistead Maupin's More Tales of the City"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Not nearly as good as the first series; inferior replacement actors

Author: Seb Chen from Connecticut
23 February 1999

More Tales of the City is the 1998 cable-produced sequel to the Tales of the City mini-series, which aired on public television in 1993. Both series are based on respective novels by Armistead Maupin.

More Tales' plot and script are substantially shoddier than its predecessor. It focuses mainly on the intrigue and intertwining characters than the development of the personalities or the warmth of their interactions. And where sweet and emotional dialogue exists, the sentiment is marred by three vastly inferior "replacement" actors. The much beloved Michael "Mouse" Tolliver is played by the excessively smirky and over-doing-the-gay-bit Paul Hopkins. His performance is unnatural and devoid of Mouse's innate, lovable charm. Nina Siemaszko's performance is brittle and uneasy, lacking any of the spunk and charisma befitting the quirky Mona Ramsey. Whip Hubley is just plain uninteresting as the (supposedly) handsome, disillusioned Brian Hawkins. I had the opportunity to go back and re-watch the first series and was surprised to discover just how naturally and unaffectedly Marcus D'Amico, Chloe Webb, and Paul Gross inhabited Mouse, Mona and Brian. I had been unaware of just how good they were since I merely considered them as being the characters. Overall, the direction, cinematography and soundtrack are distracting.

If you simply like some of Maupin's most bizarre plot twists for the intrigue in itself, you might enjoy More Tales of the City. If you like more quality and substance, check out Tales of the City.

tried to hate it

Author: Nick-337 from Tennessee, USA
5 September 2002

When I first saw this sequel a couple of years ago I tried to hate it. So many of the characters had been re-cast with new actors that it was jarring at first. Since then I have watched it a couple more times and I have to admit that I just love More Tales. It has grown on me. The writing is excellent and it is very addictive. My favorite character in this was Anna Madrigal played by Olympia Dukakis. The scenes where she reunites with Mother Mucca are quite touching and brought a tear to my eye. Bravo to Bravo for dusting off these gems every once in a while and making some new fans of Armistead Maupin.

A few drawbacks, but still a very good show!!!!!!

Author: Shannon Smith (shanncub@aol.com) from Terre Haute, In
29 June 1999

More Tales find the characters just a few months after the last one left off. The characters stay pretty much the same, which really impressed me. In a lot follow ups the characters seem to change dramatically. Another aspect of the mini-series that I really liked was how the story expanded of of the first tales. Instead of creating a whole new circumstances, much of the story was just adding to what was all ready there.

The one main issue I had was with the cast changes. I realize that it has been almost five years since the first series ended and that it was hard to get everyone back to do another one. However, I feel that the actors they did replace the characters with did not come close to resembling those in the first one. I did however like the new Micheal (Paul Hopkins) better than the first one. It was mona and Brian that I had the problems with. I applaud Showtime for having the guts to air this mini-series and the cast and crew that were willing to take on a project that was considered to be controvsial.

Not bad sequel to first Tales

Author: tex-42
1 July 2001

Well first off compared to the first Tales, this sequel isn't awful, but certainly cannot compare. The main problem lies in the fact that it was made five years after the original, and many of the people who played the roles in the original were not available so they had to be replaced with different actors who just are not as good. However, Linney, Dukakis, and Campbell all return and they are well worth seeing. The plot itself is a little silly with a cruise, amnesia, rekindled romance, family reunions, and older women getting together at a sex club. Overall though, it is an enjoyable series, not up to par with the first, but still very watchable.

Only just okay - the first was much better acted...

Author: Michael Hamilton from Cedar Rapids, IA
23 May 2001

This one was good in that it lived up to the story that Armistad wrote. I think that this change in cast was not a good one. I preferred the first cast in Tales of the City. I'm so glad that Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis came back for More. They really helped to keep this glued together. Although I felt that Tales of the City was much better, the underlying story by Armistad Maupin is fantastic and definitely deserves to be made into a movie (or mini-series) for the masses to see. I can't get enough Maupin. Get the books! You'll be glad you did......

The adventure continues

Author: Fergus Salder from United Kingdom
28 July 2007

After watching with great pleasure the original Tales of the City, i delved with excitement into this continuation story of the 28 Barbary residents. However with some disappointment i discovered that a less adventurous director and some unfortunate cast replacements has stolen some of the magic.

Now don't get me wrong, it is still a fun and well written metro-sexual adventure in the heart of Sanfrancisco, and with exceptional performers Dukakis and Linney returning it keeps the spark burning bright. The new addition of Paul Hopkins as Michael 'Mouse' Tolliver is an interesting new slant on a wonderful character and he pulls the transition of well, retaining Marcus D'Amico's youthful hopefulness, whilst adding a new cheeky side to mouse. Paul however is the only new cast member to manage this, Nina Siemaszko is given the impossible task of replacing the magnificent Chloe Webb and Mona suffers terribly for this, not only does she now look 10 years younger, she has lost the kooky charm that gave the character so much punch and spunk, she seams permanently depressed and miserable. The other disappointment is the departure of Paul Gross who's slimy male chauvinist pig Brian was a joy and torture to watch in the original as he carried on with his self destructive behaviour and loathing of women. Whip Hubley (who this time looks 10 years older) simply seams like to much of a nice guy to pull of this role and Brian's character seams to have had a personality transplant within the space of a few months.

With this massive moan over and done with, it is still an enjoyable romp and worth watching for Dukakis's Mrs Madrigal's empathic presence, and Linney's heart and warmth.

Addicting!

Author: AunteeE from United States
25 May 2006

I saw this on LOGO and out of order, but it was so suspenseful and fun that I am now addicted. I am now watching the 1st part, and though this one has recasts in a few roles, they're great recasts.

It's fun to know that this is available to watch, and that you can go backwards and forwards to the 2 other miniseries if you get confused. See Further Tales of the City and the 1st part of Tales from the City if you enjoy this.

The stories encompass all walks of life. There are gay/straight rich/poor and so many enriching story lines that there is something for everyone. I'd love to see these characters revisited beyond the 3rd installment!

A Must See For Tales Fans

Author: sweet_em_sexy
17 February 2000

If anyone has ever seen the first series then More Tales of the City is an absolute must see. I had only watched the first series once before, but one of my very best friends and I decided to split the cost and order the sequel on DVD and neither of us was disappointed. While there are less startling revelations going on throughout as there was in the first series it is still highly addictive to watch. The progression of Laura Linney's Mary Anne character is startling, she's turned into a man hunting pot fiend, a far cry from her days as the prude at 28 Barbary Lane. Mona's journey into the desert is the most entertaining part of the whole movie, although true fans will be able to decipher who Mother Mucca is in a matter of minutes.

The new actors fill their roles well, with the new Brian being the only exception but it's good to see his role "fleshed out" more than it was in the first one. You have to see it to believe it!

GODAWFUL - stick to the original and give this a skip

Author: kapuku from new york
24 May 2001

a pale shadow of the original Tales. the replacement actors are really lifeless. its really impossible to feel anything for Michael as he's repugnant. the new Mona is vapid and uninspiring. the new Brian is so uninteresting its almost offensive. and in the original series it was really Mona and Michael who held it all together...they both had energy and vitality. in this round it feels like Nina Siemaszko (Mona) is being forced to do the role...shes totally uninterested and robotic. Paul Hopkins, the new Michael, basically smirks and wiseasses before getting (thankfully) crippled and left speechless for most of the show.

beyond the horrible casting, the story is sordid and so over the top that its difficult to get involved. the first Tales series had spunk...it felt fresh and alive. this version is just a pathetic soap opera knockoff. (wow its cable...we can show ass and say bad words, who needs a decent director?) the story line revolving around Brian and his binocular-driven lust affair is weak and frankly gross.

pathetic...

Very fine sequel and continuation of the ongoing story.

Author: pslust from United States
17 October 2012

Considering the surprises that occur within this sequel, I would highly suggest that followers of "life" in San Francisco watch this sequel. Truly, I enjoyed said sequel, especially with regard to the reveals, with the amount of skin that is shown, and with character development. For me the story line, the story arcs, and the like made sense. Not sure what else I can say without giving away plot points; can state the photography is special, the editing was without flaw, and that the color is outstanding. As I stated at the beginning, there are a number of surprises throughout the eight episodes, and each surprise surpasses the previous one. Thoroughly due to the surprises, the story line of living in a special part of San Francisco, and the relationships that develop and change, this is one fine sequel.