IMDb > The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

This is right up there with "GROUNDHOG DAY" i.e. Very Funny

Author: KnightK137 from Dewsbury, England
28 September 2002

I am a big fan of Bill Murray's films, and "The Man Who Knew Too Little"is one of his funniest to date, I really don't think that any other actor could have played this particular role, this part was made for him.

10/10 - Brilliant

Cheerful, funny example of a lost genre.

Author: herrkikers (herrkikers@hotmail.com) from Devon, UK
8 September 2002

They just don't make them like they used to. At least, if you haven't seen 'The Man Who Knew Too Little', you'd probably think that. Many bemoan the decline of that classic genre of film - the old-fashioned British farce. It seems they lost favour for being just that bit too calamitous, too bawdy and too self-indulgently ridiculous. This film is an attempt to recreate the laid-back, cheerful, innocent silliness of those old comedy classics - but how does it avoid those aspects of past farces that made them less palatable to modern viewers and critics? If this film has any failings at all, then it is maybe that it does not avoid the temptation to be just that crucial margin too unbelievable for the viewer. Admittedly, the humour can only work if Murray's character is as truly stupid as he appears to be in failing to grasp the reality of the situation by the end, and if no-one, not even his brother or the call-girl, informs him of it, but although it works wonderfully up to a point, in a way I was hoping he would twig eventually. But that's a minor point. What is more ridiculous still is, of course, the zany manner of his consistent escapes from danger. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a killjoy and I completely recognise how ludicrous a film of this sort has to be in order to work. Indeed, the utter cluelessness of the lead was a delight to watch, and the comedy was slick, even if the budget was lower than the movie deserved and a few performances (even Richard Wilson, surprisingly) were somewhat wooden. But this didn't detract from a wonderful piece of sit-back-and-enjoy laugh-fest. Whatever its flaws, above all else it is impossible not to get a real feel-good buzz from this film, and a lot of laughs besides. The script manages to stay consistent, and does not - as would be very easy - slip up at all when holding together a quite complicated set of circumstances designed to delude Bill Murray's unlikely superhero. The scenes towards the end clearly owe something to 'Naked Gun', but that is never a bad thing - I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, and the one question you probably want to ask now is: so why criticise at all? Well, while this is a beautiful example of the lost art of farce-making, it also represents a lost opportunity. To have been better still, this movie should ideally have combined the fluid innocence of the chaotic comedy with something newer - maybe make the whole 'cold war' plot idea advance a bit. While I thought the whole subplot that Murray has no clue about was ample for the purposes of the movie, and was suitably unserious, the audiences of today want something more substantial, on the whole, and maybe 'The Man Who Knew Too Little' could have been a box office smash if it had had something innovative like this. As it is, nothing new, not a whole lot you haven't seen before, but this doesn't matter - this film is the best of what the old days comedy had to offer, and it made me laugh lots. Really worth seeing - if only more would follow.

Bill Murray's the man

Author: jackrabbitslims-1 from Long Island, New York
4 April 2002

Sure it's a bit silly and a bit cliche-full but just because Bill Murray stars in it, this movie is golden. Murray portrays with comic genius like always, a confused American in Britain who is mistaken as an international spy. Say Murray turned down this role and it went to Chevy Chase, now dont get me wrong Chevy Chase is a funny guy, but he wouldn't pull off that Russian dance scene with such comic genius as Bill Murray, take that Griswald!

bill murray at his dumb best

Author: whitey-1 from montana
3 February 2002

there are two kinds of bill murray. 'smart and mean' bill murray (groundhog's day/scrooged), and 'dumb' bill murray (the man that knew too little, what about bob). this is by far, the best 'dumb bill murray' movie, ever. this movie gave him the opportunity to play the dumbest man in the world, and he just ran with it. a great movie, overall.

The sheer joy of innocence; one of Bill Murray´s best

Author: dlaniado-1 from Mexico City
12 January 2002

I don´t want to comment a lot, but this movie is sheer joy. Bill Murray´s acting is one of the best in all his movies. The way he manages to act like he is acting is one of the best concepts in movie making I´ve seen.

Definitely worth the time and attention. Don´t miss it.

HILARIOUS, If you're in the mood.

Author: sempergumby from Coruscant
11 January 2002

Bill Murray has a lot of fun with this movie and the timing works. Instead of vulgar, shocking and inappropriate scenes to garner forced laughs(well there is one of those too), Murray uses time tested methods combined with an innovative new twist. If you are in the mood for a good comedy--not in a critical mood--"The Man Who Knew Too Little" really delivers the laughs. Throughout the movie there are successful bits and surprisingly the type of comedic scenes prevalent in the 70's and 80's still work today.

This film proves that movies can still be howlingly funny without the new 'shock comedy' that is becoming so prevalent (new SNL alumnus films--Superstar and Jim Carry talking out his butt).

For conservative folks this may not be a family movie (SPOILER--hotel room scene with old woman spanking her husband with a whip). For ages 13 and up and parents though this is a very funny film!

Simply too dang funny

Author: haggar
10 December 2001

I think I laughed too much, if such a thing is even possible, from the beginning to the end of this movie.

It might be the most cerebral of comedies, but it was executed masterfully, none of the acting felt forced, none of the gags were a throwaway. Murray was fascinating and radiated an aura of honesty, dumbness and charm, all at the same time. Certainly all the actors deserve kudos for their work, but let me just mention the indestructible Richard Wilson; they couldn't have found a better actor for the role of the oldboy British politician. He was so classic!

Interestingly, I had a very strong impression the movie was made in the mid 70'. It was so strange to see and hear mentioning things like "end of the cold war" or other references to this modern (end of/beginning of century), I tended to forget it right off and imagine I'm seeing a comedy made a quarter of a century earlier.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, I advise you to go and enjoy it. The worst thing that can happen is that you die laughing.

Just plain fun

Author: (nts78rpm@hotmail.com) from Florida
1 November 2001

What an utter delight this film is! Never mind subtlety or an underlying message; this farce is just plain fun, with laughs from start to finish. Bill Murray is perfect as the inoffensive man out of his depth but not realizing it, surrounded by a dependable cast of British actors (Richard Wilson, Alfred Molina etc). Rent this video if you want to spend a couple of undemanding hours having a good laugh.

Pleasant Enough Comedy

Author: Mitch-38 from Houston, Texas
14 February 2001

Average Joe schmuck Murray arrives in UK to visit his brother, and lands in the soup. Something goes terribly awry, and he ends up knee deep in international espionage. The plot is more than a little far-fetched and familiar, yet Murray is so likeable and he does have a few great scenes, that one can't pan it outright. Definitely not an explicit movie, but it is amusing on the whole. Joanne Whalley is a standout as "Lorelei." Recommended for the proverbial rainy day.

Laughter is so healthy for you, watch this movie.

Author: michelle_johnson_76180 from USA
22 October 2000

I've read all the other comments and ditto on the positive ones. Poo-poo on the negative ones. I generally wouldn't say that about another person's opinion but geez, it's just a movie, let alone one that is hilarious and makes you forget that you have rent to pay. Bill Murray is one of the funniest Americans to this date, in his own right, no doubt. Wallace had an innocence and naivety about him that you don't see in too many movies, anymore. I felt comfortable watching this movie and not thinking that it differed, dramatically, with my belief system. I don't think there are too many movies these days that can say that. Anyhow, Viva la bill!

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]