IMDb > The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Underrated

Author: ng_boy26 from United States
29 June 2006

It's disappointing that so few people have seen this movie. This the perfect vehicle for Murray's many talents. There are more than enough laugh out loud moments, making this a great movie to watch with friends who's attention span is more than 3 seconds. This is definitely one that can be viewed over and over.

*** semi-spoiler alert *** The only part I didn't think was perfect was the very ending with the two agents. I thought it was a bit over the top with them crawling around on all fours acting like a cat and dog. A bit much. Other than that, this movie is a comedy classic, and everyone who loves this film should get as many people as they can to watch this immediately.

vintage Bill Murray

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
17 March 2006

Bill Murray plays goof-ball Wallace Ritchie in London to visit his brother Jimmy (Peter Gallagher) for his own - read: Wallace's - birthday. Since Jimmy is having guests over, he knows that he needs to keep Wallace out of the way. The only problem is, Wallace accidentally gets mixed up in an espionage ring, leading to some embarrassing situations for everyone - mainly because Wallace believes the whole time that it's a play.

As with most of Bill Murray's movies, the plot isn't totally important - it's an excuse for Bill Murray to act crazy. And he does just that in "The Man Who Knew Too Little". Joanne Whalley co-stars as secret agent Lorelei.

Ha!

Author: smoothtooth from Japan
19 October 2003

Saw this when it first came out, and now the second time as a free rental. Both times were funny. The important thing to do is not expect a "serious" or probable comedy. This is screwball slapstick at it's classic peak, edited to the tune of 60's spy B-flicks. Great way to pick up your spirits and not take life so seriously.

Original Scripting made this a winner

Author: Jeremy Emerman (FilmJvideo@aol.com) from Coral Springs, Florida
2 October 2003

I saw the film a few days ago I thought that it was a little cooukie at the begging and was sort of a churn off type of film. But once the film got underway I got really hooked. All I thought when watching the film is what awesome scripting this was. When I got to thinking I thought this actually could happen to someone if they were not really into the "show," Billy Murray character was portrayed as the perfect type of person who would get to be in such a manner.

My favorite part in the movie was defiantly at the end with the Russian dancers. I am someone who is never really suspenseful but I could not stop laughing see white boy bill Murray doing these Russian dances.

To sum it up the film is a great success and i loved it. i give it a 8 out of 10 and a 10 out of 10 for the script. very good movie

"Please don't call me by my real name, it destroys the reality I'm trying to create"

Author: bhcpc from NJ USA
13 September 2003

The concept of mistaken identity and someone bumbling his way to unexpected results is certainly not new. However, this movie did a very good job setting up and executing such a concept. Of course, this coincidence-to-the-max sequence of events can only exist in movie, but it's quite entertaining. Worth watching. A 7/10.

Underrated when released, actually a lot of fun.

Author: Aaron Headly (aaronx) from Ann Arbor, MI
1 August 2003

While the main character is clueless and the plot will not hold up to careful - or even casual - examination, the humor is often smarter than the material. It doesn't really drag anywhere, and all of the acting is better than average.

If you like movies with Bill Murray in them, you will like this movie.

I recently picked it up on DVD for less than ten bucks (new!), and enjoyed watching it again (and look forward to getting some of my friends to watch it).

Better than you would think

Author: raterus from North Carolina, USA
3 July 2003

My wife picked up this film off the "5 dollar cheap dvd" rack of a local store. I first thought, "Great, there goes 5 dollars down the drain". But after watching it, I have to put my foot in my mouth on that one. Ok it's not an oscar winning comedy (but what comedy is?), but it is just plain funny, no stupid gags like Jim Carrey films. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a quick laugh!

Movie to pass the time away.

Author: sgmackenzie from Orlando, FL
26 May 2003

Pretty funny plot because of the fact it is so improbable. The dialogue has allot of double meanings. The story allows for several classic situations. I just saw this a second time and it held its own quite well.

Clever and amusing comedy.

Author: gridoon
3 March 2003

In "Groundhog Day", Bill Murray was the only person who knew what was going on; here, he's the only one who doesn't. And this movie, just like "Groundhog Day", is not recommended to those searching for belly-laughs. You don't so much laugh, as you admire the cleverly conceived and constructed story, where almost every spoken word has a double edge. The ending is a bit overextended, though; after all, it IS an one-joke comedy. (***)

COMEDY CLASSIC FROM THE BARGAIN BIN

Author: bob brasher (bbrasher1) from Chicago, Il., U.S.A.
6 January 2003

A coworker of mine recommended this one to me a few weeks ago. Just last week, I happened to find the DVD at Wal-Mart for five bucks.

This one is definitely a keeper. Bill Murray plays Wallace Ritchie, an American vacationer in London who pays a surprise visit to his brother and his wife. Ritchie, with the help of his brother, gets involved in an audience participation theater event. Somehow, through a series of events that can only happen in a Bill Murray comedy, (if you've seen WHAT ABOUT BOB? you know what I mean), the fate of the world depends on this klutz. This is one comedy that was made just for Bill Murray, and it was worth the trouble of digging it out of Wal-Mart's bargain bin where it was buried under a hundred or so other DVD non-classics that have long since faded into obscurity (kind of like foraging through a garbage dumpster for a valuable piece of merchandise, but it was well worth it).

I highly recommend this one, so hurry over to your neighborhood Wal-Mart and start digging.

And by the way, thanks a lot Anibal, for letting me know about this one in the first place.

Rating: ****1/2 out of *****