IMDb > Virus (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Virus

Virus More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than evreyone makes it out to be

Author: Christopher-Peznola from Boston
13 July 2006

A mediocre storyline (i.e. Titanic) can become a world class film with character development, believable dialogue, and, for lack of a better word, some Hollywood magic. This film could have been a blockbuster with less action, less noise, less effects and more humans being human. Look at 2001 A Space Odyssey, Jaws, Titanic and countless other films, and you'll see that the story was about as interesting as Virus, and the actors, equally talented. Virus failed to deliver characters that we could believe and identify with.

I still recommend this film highly, as its interesting, it contains Jamie Lee Curtis (a hottie) and Donald Sutherland (a 20th century legend), lots of effects and action. In a way its sort of fun to watch quality actors attempt to make the best of horrible dialogue.

A 7 out of 10 for storyline and casting

Compilation of other genre movies

Author: Alex-372 from The Hague, The Netherlands
23 April 2004

Don't take this movie too seriously, and Virus is actually an enjoyable romp, that pays homage, excuse me, rips off many venerable movies from the same and similar genres.

It starts of as an X-Files episode, turns into The Perfect Storm, Sutherland is clearly inspired by mad Quint in Jaws, then the movie becomes Johnny 2.0 meets Robocop and Alien II.

The drawbacks are of course obvious - the Life Form behaves more like a space moron, than a higher form of intelligence. If it was the latter, it would simply have the entire crew set port in Australia and have taken it from there. Instead, the "humans are viruses" approach simply brings it down. Bummer. Billions of miles of space travel, and it gets bested by the motley crew of a tugboat with a demented skipper.

Anyway, 21 years after Halloween, Jamie Lee still looks delectable with a perfect figure. The rest of the crew are funny and charming, in a forgettable way. Sutherland puts in the best acting he has in years, which isn't saying too much as he has been phoning his performances in since JFK.

Anyway, this movie is low on originality, but if you like the genres above, it is a pretty nice diversion.

Come on, it isn't THAT bad!

Author: willywants
7 December 2004

After losing their payload the ramshackle, sinking, ocean-going salvage tug "Sea Star" takes refuge in the eye of a typhoon in an attempt to make repairs. Whilst trying to find help the tug, captained by Robert Everton ('Donald Sutherland' ), discovers a Russian science vessel adrift in the eye. The crew believes their troubles are over and they are set for life when the captain informs them of the value of salvaging this apparent ghost-ship. However, the navigator Kit Foster (Jamie Lee Curtis) and the chief engineer Steve Baker (William Baldwin) are not convinced that it will be that easy. Once power is restored to the ship strange things start to happen and the crew mysteriously disappear one by one. It isn't until the discovery of the last remaining Russian crew member, the chief science officer Nadia Vinogradiya (Joanna Pacula), that the crew realize the enemy ranged against them isn't the Russians but something far more malevolent. While I'll admit that the plots is hacked from dozens of other (Mostly better) films, 'Virus' is no where as bad as others have made it out to be. Jamie Lee Curtis is likable in the lead and the special effects are terrific! The film is an entertaining and fast-paced sci-fi horror movie. It was gory too. I enjoyed it. 6.5/10. ABOUT THE DVD: Universal has done a terrific job with the release of the virus DVD. The crisp looking 2.35:1 wide screen transfer looks great. There's little to no grain, sharp colors, solid blacks and realistic flesh tones. The Dolby digital 5.1 audio is very effective. I loved them gunshots! Gotta have your gunshots! Extras are great, too. The commentary, provided by the director, John Bruno, select cast members and the composer is an enjoyable track filled with behind-the-scenes stories and is quite informative. Next up is a very good 17-minute documentary, Ghost in the machine, covering everything from special effects construction to cast interviews. Next up are a collection of 4 deleted scenes (Shown in there rough-cut form), which are pretty enjoyable in there own right. Next up is a tiny 6-minute featurette, which is really just a rehash of the documentary. Also included are production notes, DVD-ROM features, a trailer, and really cool animated menus. Nice! DVD ratings

I liked it anyway

Author: LJ27 from Vancouver, Canada
23 August 1999

I've heard people trash this movie left and right yet I found that it kept my attention for the duration of it's running time and all the technical aspects were top-notch (especially Tippett Studio's CGI realization of Goliath). The characters weren't great and weren't bad either. Sure, we've seen it all before in other films but I have little hope of finding a film that's completely original. Frankly, I got about what I expected out of it - motion picture fastfood. You enjoy it as you take it in and digest it and forget about it after you leave the theater. It's just entertainment and not bad for what it is. Unlike LOST IN SPACE or BATMAN AND ROBIN, this film isn't boring. It moves at a quick enough pace to where you don't find yourself checking your watch all the time. I'm not sure what the deal was with Donald Sutherland's character who displays no sense of logic whatsoever. Had they dropped the stuff with his character, it would've helped the film. If you're bored, check it out. It's worth at least one viewing.

Good entertainment

Author: Teddy-16
20 January 1999

This movie will probably not go to the history as one of the greatest. It will probably not even be remembered a couple of years from now. But it is a good horror/thriller movie with some decent effects. It's been a while since I actually jumped more than three times in the chair. Ok, the tricks to make you jump is kind of common, but they obviously worked.

Apart from the end (that is very strange) this is a good movie. The weird thing though is that right after Kit Foster and her boyfriend ejects from the ship the storm goes away. Hmm... Of course you can't compare this with milestones like any of the Alien movies, but it is well spent money, and two hours killed time.

Salvage, salvage

Author: shhazam2 from California
30 December 2005

Say what you want about this movie not meeting expectations of the 90's but it was very entertaining and thats most of what I expect from any good movie.

Bad aliens, greed, bravery, bravado, science gone bad and survival all play major parts in this flick.

Strong women, brave men and treacherous men are a good mix for any story and this movie has them in abundance.

The aliens seem to want something from humans and its not in the best interest of these humans to meet their needs.

Try not to be comparing this movie to other sci-fi and just enjoy an interesting twist on the genre.

Not as bad as its reputation suggests.

Author: gridoon
22 July 2000

"The Terminator" meets "The Predator" and "Alien", and what we get is this routine but moderately effective horror thriller, which isn't quite as bad as its reputation might lead you to believe. Sure, it lacks substance and (except for a few details)originality, but the energetic direction, the fast pacing and some impressively filmed explosions keep it painless. Effects aren't particularly outstanding, though.

*** out of ****

Author: clay-8 from texas
17 January 1999

What I noticed about "Virus" is that ANYTHING can happen to ANY of the characters. They actually get the crap beaten out of them, even Jamie lee. The special-effects are fantastic for this film and the robots are actually menacing. The characters aren't too interesting but they suit the film. I was surprised at how the movie wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. "Virus" takes a new direction. Instead of having a bunch of aliens or monsters running around, killing people, they have robots. It's an original idea that hasn't been tackled that often in this type of genre. A good movie.

This is what I always imagined the BORG to really be like!

Author: Kevin Attwood (MovieMad-8) from Melbourne AUSTRALIA
28 August 1999

After reading less than favourable reviews, I was concerned this movie would not live up to the potential of the plot scenario. That is, an Alien entity arriving on Earth and fusing humans, or parts of humans, with mechanical technology to further it own existence.Fortunately, the movie lived up totally to my expectations. We start off with a BANG! and than it's non-stop, sit on the edge of your seat stuff until the end. Anyone who watches STAR TREK knows the BORG. This movie makes what we've seen of the Borg look like a stroll in the park. Whilst extremely graphic in nature, VIRUS's depiction of this Aliens handiwork is as it would be...gruesome! Without giving away the plot, you have a claustrophobic situation reminiscent of ALIENS with Jamie Lee and Bill Baldwin & crew being hunted down one by one. Chase scenes involving a multitude of half human/half machine monstrosities keep coming at you like Arnie in TERMIMATOR. The special effects and art concepts are original and really make this movie stand out. Interestingly you'll see Mr. James Cameron thanked in the fine print of the credits. The mechanical marvels are certainly up to his standard. I loved the movie and now on DVD its straight into my collection.

Not as bad as you might think

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
16 January 2000

OK, by the half way mark Virus is turning into a pretty typical aliens are here to destroy us movie, but till then it's a reasonably suspenseful, not badly written, well cast and well acted film. Jamie Lee Curtis looks remarkably normal playing a sailor, Donald Sutherland delivers another good villainous performance, and new actor of the year Cliff Curtis (Three Kings, Bringing Out the Dead) is excellent. This is a good popcorn movie, much better than most genre films.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]