IMDb > Up 'n' Under (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Up 'n' Under More at IMDbPro »

The Best of Godber

Author: joedeeuk from East yorkshire
14 September 2004

This film based on John Godber's stage play actually was written long before Brassed Off & The Full Monty

Set in Hull & with some good on location scenes that resemble Hull even if they are not

Some good casting even tho' they are obviously not from Hull, at least there were no put on accents

The acting was of a good quality & John Godber's sense of humour was very obvious.

A good adaption from the very successful stage play first seen at the Hull Truck Theatre.

A definitely worth watching film

Not too hot, not too cold...just right!

Author: Jonathan Parley from Seattle, United States
27 November 2001

I caught this film on a plane ride to London and I have to say it was perfectly enjoyable. I tend to be a sucker for the "comeback kids" and underdog sports movies - Hoosiers (a.k.a Best Shot), Rudy, A League of Their Own, and the immortal 'Victory!' The characters are simple but likable, the story is predictable but uplifting, the girl is hot but with personality. All in all it was perfect for a plane ride or a fun night at home when there are no live sports on.

Watchable Fun

Author: stashyjon from United Kingdom
23 July 2006

Yup it's northern Brit comedy time. This time it's a inept pub Rugby League side that must struggle through adversity and come up triumphant. Yes it has been done before (The Full Monty, Brassed Off et al.), but that doesn't mean this film is without merit.

For a start we see two great Brit actors in their last ever screen roles (Gary Olsen from the sitcom 'Two Point Four Children' and Brian Glover of 'Kez' and 'Alien 3' fame). We get to see the loverly Samantha Janus san clothing, and by the numbers but still entertaining performance from Neil 'Men Behaving Badly' Morissey. Throw in Griff Rhys Jones doing a damn fine Eddie Warring impression and Tony Slattery as a suitably evil baddie who will even fix the draw of a rugby tournament to humiliate our heroes (THAT'S how they reached the final of the competition, do some of these reviewers even bother to watch the films?); and some good cameos from the likes of Michelle Tulley and you have something that can put a smile on most faces without requiring to much effort to watch.

Also credit must be given to writer / director John Godber (adapted from his own stage play of some 10 years earlier and recently revived on stage with England Rugby Union star Gareth Chilcott in the Gary Olsen role).

All in all an enjoyable effort.

Pretty good

Author: Gubby-Allen from England
29 November 2001

People shouldn't take films like this so seriously. If you watch it in a lighthearted manner, it has some laughs & is very enjoyable. It's also got me fired up for my matches at the weekend already.

It wasn't hilarious or laugh a minute like Four Weddings, Notting Hill or Full Monty, but there's plenty of good talent amongst the cast.

This film was made for Britain, in the same way American Football or Baseball films are made for Americans. Rugby League is only played in 3 countries in the world, so you really need to follow the game to appreciate it.

Giant killings in sport do actually happen. Maybe they're not as commonplace as films like this make out, but I prefer this sort of film to those where what actually happened in history is ignored or the romanticised, happy ending, drivel that hollywood serves up.

If you like Brit Movies then this is a must see

Author: Steve Davies from England
14 September 2004

A brilliant comedy that highlights the British sense of humour and makes you get involved with the characters as they strive to become a team and win against The Cobblers. If you liked The Full Monty and When Saturday Comes then this is a must see. The soundtrack is brilliant and the actors play the parts amazingly and for the lads out there, there is an added bonus that you get to see Samantha Janus naked in the shower. Also there is the brilliance of the sadly deceased Gary Olsen (remember 2 point 4 children) who makes the film what it is not to mention Neil Morrissey (Men Behaving Badly) who plays the lanky and funny rugby lad very well. If you want to see a Brit Movie that makes you walk away feeling great then this is the one to see.

Trivia

Author: andrew-talbot from United Kingdom
19 August 2007

For the funding to be in place, John Godber once recalled, he had to have three things in the movie: Griff Rhys Jones as the local radio commentator, Samantha Janus naked and the Wheatsheaf Arms had to win at the end of the movie.

The end of the original play sees the Wheatsheaf Arms lose. Reference to the film 'Rocky' here. Balboa lost at the end of the first Rocky movie. Godber, as well as the Arthur Hoyle character, was a fan of the 'Rocky' films. 'Up 'n' Under is 'Rocky' set in the North of England. Also, like 'Rocky' there was a sequel to the play, 'Up 'n' Under II' (1985).

Brave failure

Author: Changeworlds from United States
18 August 2006

I think the point a number of reviewers have missed is that this is a stage play and unfortunately it's essentially a filmed stage play despite the attempts to make it into a film. Having seen it on stage its an entirely different experience and "the dance" of the rugby sequences really involves the audience in a way that is impossible in film. The cast are excellent including Jane, Godbers wife and a playwright in her own right. You've really got to have been in the locker room to appreciate the stale sweat that's evident here and in Godber's brave attempt to transform what is essentially an intimate series of exchanges onto the big scene. It's a disappointment. On TV it might have worked. Jack Rosenthall did a similar take on football that was successful. Those who naively criticize the rugby sequences forget that Godber was a rugby player himself, and they're typical on Sunday after amateur rugby. This isn't American Football !

great movie? who cares its fun!

Author: paul-tomsett from whitehaven england
23 August 2005

As much as i enjoy IMDb and indulge in the rating system myself,why does one film have to compare to another?If YOU find something in a film that relates to you or makes you laugh/cry then enjoy it and say so.Don't worry about its directorial merits or cliché filled scripts or wooden acting,you enjoyed it and that made it good. UP 'N'under is such a film for me.I live in the north of england and my town has a rugby league team with great traditions,but i have no love for the sport but i do love UP'N'UNDER.Yes it has all the clichés of sports films the world over,down on their luck bunch of misfits come good against all the odds etc etc.but i enjoy the bleak British weather,the sadness that Gary Olsen(Arthur)& Brian glover(his father in law)who always made me laugh are no more,Griff Rhys Jones drunken Eddie waring impression.Like frank my wife left me and i feel melancholy,and like Phil I've just turned 40 and want to do something while i still can and "before all my bloody hair falls out".Also there is Samantha Janus to admire & some great tunes from hull band(thats where its set)the beautiful south amongst others. So UP'N'UNDER although not the greatest British film ever or even the best film of 1997 for that matter gets 8 out of 10 from me. RIP Brian and Gary.

Fantastic Rugby League Film

Author: Truewiganer from United Kingdom
12 September 2005

This film is only for the people who live north of Birmingham, and the few thousand people who support the London broncos. this is a quality film for all rugby league fans, a must have!! if you don't like rugby league then this film is not for you.

its all really northern, and a lot of the southerners will not understand what is going on and some of the language in the film.

a good film to watch after coming in from a rugby league game, weather your team has lost or won, it doesn't matter, its a heart warming story one that not many people will have heard as rugby league isn't a huge sport. should be re-released as the sport is getting bigger and bigger!!

i say it again FANTASTIC!!!

Why is it such a good movie?

Author: Chucky-24 from Burnley, England
8 November 2000

The main reason I gave this film a 10 is because of the shower scene. I'm a massive fan of Samantha Janus and seeing her in any film instantly makes it a classic in my book. The cast were superb. I'm not a big fan of rugby but it was worth watching.....