IMDb > Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

let's be fair here

Author: Nick Gondolo from London, England
19 May 2004

I was browsing the worst 100 films of all time here on the IMDB, and came across this one. While, from an adult point of view, I agree with all who don't like the film at all, I think it's a little unfair because we are, after all, not the target audience. My son is 8 years old and he absolutely loves it. I feel sure that if there was a poll conducted of, say, six to twelve year olds, this one would be in their top 100! Oh dear! That was all I wanted to say, but the rules appear to insist that I provide ten lines. Right, that appears to be nine, (ignore this, it displays differently when you're typing it in) so I'll just extend it a little bit more............... OK that should be ten! No - They don't like that either so - What is an Egyptian King's favourite chocolate? Pharaoh Rocher. (Ben, aged 8).

Bad story for most of the thing, followed by fighting for 1/2 minute.

Author: Vaishino
7 January 2004

This movie starts out with a "martial arts" match between one of the power rangers[out of costume], and some other guy, in which the ranger is thrown from the ring, and hurts his leg or something. So they end up replacing him with his kid brother or something as equally stupid. When he morphs, he puts on the costume, then grows to the size o an adult. Anyway, they get new "zords", which are actually cars. Way to go, robots at least made the show seem cool, now they have cars. They have to rescue some little alien thing, which is the love child of an Ewok and Gizmo from gremlins. Along the way, the new pink ranger twists her ankle or something after falling into the water, and the alien heals her with his glowing finger. No ET rip off there. They take him...somewhere, and then they have this boat. The boat takes them to the island, where the rangers have to fight the old red and pink rangers who are being mind controlled. Did I mention that they have a sub plot going where bulk, skull, Jason and Kim are prisoners of the enemies? Well, yeah, they get mind controlled. During the fight, the big evil thing on the island is released, and the rangers can stop fighting Jason and Kim because the alien used his powers to fix their brains. The rangers go out to fight the big guy, who's being called all powerful, and being completely overhyped. They call out their cars, and start up this 8 minute sequence where the cars drive around, the rangers wave their hands around, and the cars go together to form a giant robot. They then proceed to hit the guy once. Once with the sword. That's all it takes, and he blows up. I sat through that whole movie, and that's the end? They kill him in one hit? The fight was shorter than the robot forming sequence. There is no excuse for that.

This is not a movie...

Author: preppyboy90 from Mexico
21 July 2005

This is not exactly a sequel from "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie" from 1995 'cause it doesn't follow the events that took place on the film, this is more like a 90 min. long episode to start the 5th season of the series (The Turbo era). In fact, if you don't see this film and see the rest of the season you wouldn't be able to figure out how everything started.

I don't hate the movie that much, I just hate the fact that it is a movie. This is, like I said, more like a 90 min. long episode. The movie could have easily been left out and make the storyline a III parts episode. Unlike the first film, this movie follows the rest of the series, it is set in the same universe with the same people, with the same sets, with the same suits...(Unlike the first film in which everything was different).

Personally I highly recommend this film ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY to Power Rangers' followers, NOT to the general audience.

Stick with the first one

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
29 May 2000

"Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie" is a film that has to be seen to be disbelieved. The first film, 1995's "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie", brought the six butt-kicking teens from the Fox Kids series to the big screen for the first time. That movie was not all that bad. It had some decent special effects, a somewhat interesting bad guy (Ivan Ooze), and the six young actors who play the Power Rangers were fun to watch. Plus, that film had a bigger budget. But they went back to the cheapness of the TV show with "Turbo". The special effects, production design, and costumes are so cheap and cheesy that you wonder why 20th Century Fox gave the go-ahead to let these filmmakers (who are close to the TV show) make this film. Also, the script is much worse than it was in the first movie. Bulk and Skull have more screen time here. It has one of the least interesting villains of all time (actually, a villainess). It's very, very, very, very, very, juvenile. And the Power Ranger actors look as if they want to escape this atrosity. So I have one question. Why did they release this movie to theaters? This should have been released straight to video. Or better yet, release it as a TV movie, were this series started in the first place. This movie was totally inappropriate for the big screen.

* (out of four)

Not the best movie

Author: Eamonn D. Walker (eamonnwalker) from United States
4 April 2005

At first, I was expecting this movie to be like the first one - cool costumes, original zords, great special effects, etc. In that regard it was quite a bit of a let-down. It was really more of a 90-minute season premiere than an interesting stand-alone movie.

Still, it had its moments: Tommy and Kat in the jungle (that snake scene looked so fake, and when _hasn't_ Kat hurt her leg?!), the two Rangers becoming evil. And it did have a little bit of big-screen drama. The effects weren't exactly morphenominal, but they were pretty much consistent with the show.

The biggest disappointment was the sorry storyline and lack of explanation of where their new powers came from. Of course, there was purportedly an earlier storyline in which Billy returned from Aquitar in need of the Zeo crystal and a scene explaining their new powers, but they cut that part out after David Yost's unpleasant departure from the series.

To sum up, probably wasn't worth it to pay six bucks to see it, but it's definitely a must for any hardcore Power Rangers fan (especially since you kind of needed to see it for the TV season to make sense).

I loved it when it first came out, but obviously not so much anymore

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
12 December 2007

I was eleven years old when this second Power Rangers movie came out. I know some fans had gone off the Rangers by the time they were that age, but I didn't mature as fast as them. So, I was still a big fan when this film came out (I was even still a big fan a year later), and remember watching it over and over for a while. Now, believe me, if I didn't see it then, I would NOT have bothered watching it ten years later, but because of the wonderful memories, I decided to do so. Obviously, it wasn't the same.

Divatox, an evil alien pirate, plans to go to the island of Muranthias on Earth, where she intends to release an evil creature named Maligore and marry him. In order to do this, she will need Lerigot, a good wizard, so she plans to have him kidnapped! Fortunately, the wizard manages to escape to Earth, seeking help. Tommy and Katherine go to find him in Africa, and teleport him back to the command centre. However, Lerigot soon decides to surrender after it is learned that Divatox has captured his wife and child! After this, the evil space pirate and her crew head toward the island, and it's obviously up to the Power Rangers to try and stop her, but before they set out, Zordon and Alpha 5 give them new powers called "Turbo powers"!

Where do I start in describing this movie? Well, first of all, there are some pretty poor quality characters. I would say the worst is probably Divatox, who was the Rangers' main enemy in the "Power Rangers Turbo" series. She basically acts like a bratty kid, and it seems her antics are supposed to be funny, but at an adult's perspective, they're quite embarrassing. Hilary Shepard puts on a VERY poor performance in this role! Nobody in the cast is very impressive, but most of them do a better job than her! Another character who brings the movie down in quality a bit is Justin, the new Blue Ranger, who is a lot younger than the rest. He's certainly not the only character with lame lines, but it seems his are often worse than most of the others. None of the characters stand out as really good, but clearly, some do stand out as remarkably bad.

As you can probably tell from the above paragraph, this movie has a poor script, and the acting generally isn't so good. If you're an adult who is at all familiar with Power Rangers, I'm sure none of this surprises you. Now, sometimes when a movie is bad, it can be unintentionally funny. A few months ago, I watched "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie" (which I had never seen before), and around the beginning, I found that it was mildly amusing, but was disappointed to find that the amusement soon went away. Watching this movie after that one, I was hoping for some more unintentional humour, but didn't really find any of that, apart from the scene where the Power Rangers have just gotten their new Turbo powers, and say things like "This is great!" (with a thumbs up) and "This is awesome!" As a straight male, there's one thing I got out of this movie that I wouldn't have when I was eleven, which was the looks/physique of certain female actors, including Nakia Burrise and Catherine Sutherland who play Tanya and Katherine (the two female Rangers of the time), and I guess even Hilary Shepard who plays the dreadful main villain, but this obviously didn't make the entire film for me.

Now, I must admit that watching "Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie" again after all these years wasn't quite the same as watching "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie" for the first time earlier this year. It didn't seem QUITE as bad, even though it's generally considered inferior to its predecessor. In fact, call me crazy, but I found that some parts weren't too bad at all, though I wouldn't say I exactly enjoyed the movie. However, I guess the fact that I actually saw it in my childhood is a major part of this, and if I just watched it for the first time, it probably would have been very similar to the experience I had with its predecessor, watching it for the first time way too late. For those who saw this movie in their childhood and are now adults, if you're curious to see what you would think of it now, I wouldn't say that's a bad idea, but not a very good one, either. For everyone else beyond their childhood, I think you know to just stay away. I may look like a fool watching "Turbo" at my age and then writing a long, negative review (after all, it is a kids' movie), but like I said, it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't seen it at a much earlier age.

Good if you're a PR Fan, Horrible if you're not.

Author: Vipex23 from NYC
23 July 2002

I just got the PRT movie on DVD and saw it for the first time and I have mixed feelings about it. The movie was basically a PRT episode with mildly better effects. As for Justin, he wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be. Sure, he was annoying at times, but by the way everyone kept talking about him, I thought he'd make the movie completely unbearable. It was cool to see Jason and Kim again (damn Kim was hot), but they didn't really have big parts. Bulk and Skull were more ridiculously used than usual. The forming of the Turbo Megazord was done a lot better than they did on the show. The most annoying thing in the movie was actually a person, Divatox. She was just a completely obnoxious and annoying villianess, and I don't go for that one bit. Overall, it's a decent movie if you're a PR fan. If someone is not a PR fan, the only reason for them to watch it would be to see Kim and Kat looking hot. (PR Fans: 7 1/2 // 10 ::: Non-PR Fans 3 // 10)

Turbo: A Stupid Ranger Movie

Author: wesjordao557 from Woodbridge, Ontario
19 February 2002

This is a bad movie. Bad as in, it sucks. I'm a Power Rangers fan, even today I watch Power Rangers, but this was bad. Not as bad as the series (Power Rangers Turbo) which permierd a mounth after the movie was in theaters. But The Movie does have it's good points. Like, Jason and Kimberly returning and then turning evil. The big fight sceen at the end. But, I think this series didn't deserve to go to theaters. I think the Power Rangers series with the plots should have went, like Power Rangers In Space, Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, Power Rangers Time Force, or even the newest series, Power Rangers Wild Force. Those are the ones that deserve to be in theaters just like the first movie did. Turbo should've been made for TV and not for theaters.

It's not movie material

Author: trans8010 from United States
16 April 2007

Saw it once at 9-10 years old did not care for it although I was syked when I heard Jason (Austin St. John) the original Red Ranger and the greatest ranger of all time period! Saw it again yesterday and same thing did not care for it. It looks like the TV show the effects which for a movie of this supposed magnitude should have rocked the house with the then new improved CGI instead looked like LASER FLOYD anyone remember that one neither do I. The plot is really thin and the spoilers are given away almost immediately with the trailers and interviews the only part with the Turbo Megazord was too short 5 mins and face it if there was no zords the show would not have lasted as long as it did or less than that MMPR: the movie's Ninja Megazord had at least 15-20 mins of screen time and had impressive CGI at least at that time it did. The major baddie Mali...something was not threatening at all MMPR had more impressive monsters than this rubberized reject but I give it a four because of a hinted romance between Jason and Kimberly I mean who goes out with a girl solo and still be just friends plus they acted a little too friendly around each other flirting and whatnot and were hardly seen without each other and only fraternizing with each other if that doesn't say love I don't know what does. Even though we get the big three of power rangers I mean everyone knows these guys Jason (the compassionate leader) Kimberly (The heart of the team and she's pretty damn hot) and Tommy (the favorite and pretty boy of the group) the character development well face it there was none plummets this from movie to one overlong action kiddie show. I also give it a four because out goes Rocky Jason's replacement and the most annoying of the original MMMPR and then Blue Zeo Ranger YES!!!!! and enter Justin the other immensely annoying Blue Ranger NOOOOOO!!!!! All in all the return of Jason and Kimberly couldn't save this one from the pointless action sequences thin plot and annoying character of Justin it was better off with a direct to video release even Die Hard fans may want to steer clear of this one

A Masterpiece

Author: shakim33 from Detroit, Michigan
8 July 2003

Simply perfect. What a work of art. A Nobel Peace Prize should be given to Shuki Levy for this AMAZING film. The plot, the cinematograhpy, the dialogue, and everything else in this picture made it a must see for all ages. Arguably the best film in the past millenium.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]