IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 88: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The Truman Show, just like Network (1976) predicts and forecasts..

Author: The-Eternity-of-Time
1 February 2015

An insurance salesman/adjuster discovers his entire life is actually a T.V. show. In this movie, Truman is a man whose life is a fake one... The place he lives is in fact a big studio with hidden cameras everywhere, and all his friends and people around him, are actors who play their roles in the most popular TV-series in the world: The Truman Show. Truman thinks that he is an ordinary man with an ordinary life and has no idea about how he is exploited. Until one day... he finds out everything. Will he react? Roger Ebert wrote "I enjoyed "The Truman Show" on its levels of comedy and drama; I liked Truman in the same way I liked Forrest Gump--because he was a good man, honest, and easy to sympathize with. But the underlying ideas made the movie more than just entertainment. Like "Gattaca," the previous film written by Niccol, it brings into focus the new values that technology is forcing on humanity. Because we can engineer genetics, because we can telecast real lives--of course we must, right? But are these good things to do? The irony is, the people who will finally answer that question will be the very ones produced by the process." The Truman Show is now eight years old: the way I see it, once a decade has passed, a film can begins to be considered a classic. The Truman Show will pass that test. In any possible aspect, The Truman Show is one of the absolute best films of the 90's, and one that will remain relevant long after reality TV has bitten the dust.

Jim Carrey Is Brilliant

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
28 January 2015

Jim Carrey plays it straight in "The Truman Show" and is superb.

Plot In A Paragraph: Truman Burbank (a brilliant Jim Carrey) an advertising salesman is totally unaware that his entire life is staged for a TV show

Ed Harris was rightly nominated for an Oscar for his work here, but how could the Academy ignore Jim Carrey here?? He is fantastic! Playing it straight and totally against type Carrey shines and gives a performance with an amazing amount of heart. Laura Linney does well as Meryl, Trumans wife while Natasha McElhone is a joy as Lauren/Sylvia and Holland Taylor is her usual brilliant self. Phillip Baker Hall offers solid support as does pretty much all the cast.

This movie is unfairly compared to "EdTV", while both deal with a man on TV 24 hours a day, they are totally different concepts and movies and should not be compared to each other.

making me question everything

Author: dr nerdy from United States
20 January 2015

Watching this fantastic movie was no chore. This movie severely screwed with peoples head including mine. it made everyone ask, "is that possible? could I be in a TV show?" this hysteria was even given the name of the truman syndrome. now think about it readers. a movie so realistic and well written that it could give even one person the thought that they could be in a movie/TV show. I know after watching it I had my doubts. (I still do but don't tell the directors) although I would not consider this one of Jim Carry's best movies i think he did a good job giving his character the emotions needed to give this movie life. He steered away from his normal antics and over all goofballery (I know that is not a word) even with a few carryism he still pulled it off.

A feel good movie

Author: Christophe Sterkens from Antwerp, Belgium
6 January 2015

You are pulled very closely towards the main character and get on the adventure of him exploring the possibility that there is more to life then island where he's been stuck on and monitored for a reality TV show.

It is moving, Jim C. plays the character very well and gives you a comfort feeling while watching the movie, the end..felt flimsy, until it actually ends, there it gave me perfect closure even when it ends open.

The overall atmosphere of the movie feels exciting. You get pulled into the story while Truman searches for answers of where his father went, or if this is all real. In search of his lost love.

The scenery really feels charming, the early 60's (or is that 70's?). In my opinion, the director in the movie feels bad acted. But that is just me.

Overall this movie is a feel good movie, rainy day? Watch it ^_^

Very Philosophic

Author: gavin6942 from United States
18 December 2014

An insurance salesman/adjuster (Jim Carrey) discovers his entire life is actually a T.V. show.

This movie has been brought to ethics and philosophy classes and used as a tool for discussion. Unfortunately it was never used in any class I took (despite being a philosophy major), but I guess we cannot all get that experience.

So much to ponder: was it right to treat Truman this way? Was the television executive playing God? If the wife (Laura Linney) was only in it as part of a contract and not because she genuinely cared for Truman, what does that make her? And what if this really happened? Would people watch it or rebel?

original, funny, touching, compelling

Author: SnoopyStyle
15 December 2014

Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) lives an ordinary life as an insurance man in an idyllic seaside town Seahaven. He would love to go to Fiji but he is trap on the island by a fear stemming from a childhood trauma. It turns out his whole life is manufactured by TV artist Christof (Ed Harris). The Truman Show is the most popular TV-series in the world. His wife Meryl is played by actress Hannah Gill (Laura Linney). His best friend Marlon (Noah Emmerich) along with everybody in the town as well as the town itself is completely fake. Even his childhood trauma was manufactured. Questionable things keep happening. Sylvia (Natascha McElhone) who played his dreamgirl Lauren tries to help him escape.

On one level, this is a profound drama about the TV world and modern life. On another level, this is a great character and Jim Carrey carries it off beautifully. It is both funny and thought-provoking. It's probably looked back on as a signpost for the 90s. This is a movie that is completely original and compelling.

A heartfelt dramatic satire that remains one of Jim Carrey's best

Author: brchthethird from United States
14 November 2014

This was an incredible, heartbreaking, yet uplifting story of a man who discovers that his entire existence is manufactured. Jim Carrey gives a powerful performance as the titular character, whose wide-eyed optimism and sense of humor make it nearly impossible not to root for him. We, as the viewers, are treated to three different perspectives: Truman's World, Christof's World and the rest of the world who have been watching Truman's life unfold since the day he was born. Beyond the creepy, suburbanesque world that Christof created for him is the real world where billions of people watch him day in and day out. One thing that movie does extremely well (although I don't think it was the first) is how eerily prescient it is in predicting the nature of reality TV and its effect on our culture. It also explores themes such as the nature of reality. It's just an incredible film all around, and should be seen by everyone.

A film that it's worth seen

Author: audepotter from Belgium
24 October 2014

I watched this movie because I went to Florida at Seaside and people asked me if I saw the "Truman show" who was filmed there. Now I wish I had seen it before ! It's a really good movie, the tension increases slowly and you feel sad for Truman. It's not a simple comedy it has a profound meaning, it criticizes the reality show. It was released in 1998 but it's still modern unfortunately... After watching this film you will never look at reality show the same way ! Anyway, I recommend it. Love it ! After watching this film you will never look at reality show the same way ! Anyway, I recommend it. Love it ! I like it. I like it. I like it. I like it.

Good but should have been better

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
12 November 2013

The concept of someone's entire life being turned into reality television seems remarkably prescient given the boom in reality TV that has happened since. The plot line of this movie, which follows Jim Carrey's attempts to a) understand some of the oddities about his world, and b) escape from it altogether, could never really fail, and it doesn't disappoint. It's a really enjoyable watch.

I can't help feeling, however, that in the hands of a better director, and (as much as I love Jim Carrey) with a different lead actor, this movie could have been even better. It has all the markings of a SciFi dystopian classic, but never realises its potential, preferring to remain primarily a quirky American comedy drama.

great movie a little bit cheesy and a bit overrated

Author: mervclan (mervclan@hotmail.com) from Australia
5 November 2010

I am not hater of this movie but some of the songs where bit bad in it I am not saying its not an awful movie but being that some of the songs where bit bad there some good songs in it. OK about the story its about guy who has beem taken care of some actors in this and he does not know its real and many people try to get in his way to stop him getting into other places as well. He trys to get out but fails he trys one more time to get out because in his teenage hold he find someone that he really loves and they took her way from him which is the fact he want to get out and find his true love that was the fact that made this movie really good not to bad not to stupid. I love the boat scene where he trys to get out which really good but and thats how movie should be. I know that some people disagree about this but I don't disagree about hating this movie. Its pretty good but some of songs where bit bad and some good. But its great for all ages but great movie its show how we feel inside. great movie 7 out of 10. pretty good