IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 98: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

You choose: the fake light or the black door

Author: jonmeta from Zaragoza, Spain
9 December 2006

Peter Weir's earliest major films -The Last Wave, Picnic at Hanging Rock --are studies of people overwhelmed by circumstances they can't understand or control. But his later films offer hope of redemption and triumph. Like Dead Poets' Society, the Truman Show is the story of struggle for freedom from an oppressive system. While "DPS" was an interesting development of a standard situation (a liberal-minded teacher helps students free their minds from tradition through creative literature) the Truman Show is based on a very unique setup. The main character, Truman Burbank, is the only "true man" in a TV-show world of actors and commercial advertising. We, the viewers, discover this truth before he does because Weir introduces us to a selection of viewers who are hooked on the show. The film holds our interest by showing us, first, Truman's process of discovery, and then his attempts to escape his situation.

A lot has been made out of the supposed religious elements of the Truman Show, presumably because of the "Christof-Christ" name parallel (a bit too cute, don't you think?). But to turn the film into a religious allegory misses the obvious: the film is about the line between fake and real, and how television destroys humanity by hooking us on images in order to sell products. The key line in the film is (Truman to Christof): "You never had a camera in my head!" You can't say that about God. Second, the real Christ was a rebel (as in the confrontation with the money-changers) who was killed by the system. If you want a Christ image in the Truman Show, it's Truman "walking on water" at the end of the film, not the lord of commercialism chillingly played by Ed Harris.

If there's a deeper philosophical message in the film, it has to be the rejection of the postmodern idea of how we know what we know. Truman lives in a world that's been created for him. A postmodernist (i.e., pretty much anyone teaching in the literature or history department of my university) would say that we accept the world we're given. What we "know to be true" is what we are told is true. My "truth" depends entirely on the culture I live in and the categories of thought I'm provided with. On this basis, Truman should never escape Seahaven. But human intellect and curiosity exist precisely to question and change categories of thought. So, Truman's quest for the truth involves observing both anomalies (a falling stage light, odd patches of rain) where there should be consistency, and patterns (bicycle, flowers, Beetle!) where there should be randomness. He persists until he finds a way out of the world of image into the real world, out of the fake light, sky and clouds into the black door of whatever is out there. The tragedy is that the commercial world of television needs us not to find our way out. So the very last image of the Truman Show is not the hero escaping, but the viewers saying, "So, what else is on?"

Recommend to anyone who likes Jim Carrey

Author: Abbe Amohanga from New Zealand
24 July 2006

I think that the 'Truman Show' was a great film purely because i have never seen one like it. It really made me think about the real world and that it is maybe not so good to have everything perfect. In this film the main character Jim Carrey was very controlled and likable compared to other movies he has stared in such as the Mask and Ace Ventura.

This movie the 'Truman Show' is about a man called Truman, who has been put in a fake world since birth and everyone around him is acting. This world is placed in the middle of Hollywood and everyone is watching him from their TV sets.

I think the main point the director was trying to put across was that maybe the perfect world would not be a good place to live eg. Nothing exciting and new happens. I think the director was successful with this.

This film is very good and i would recommend it to anyone who likes Jim Carrey's acting style.

The Truman Show....

Author: juremaf from Brazil
16 July 2006

Surely , one of the best movies i have ever seen. The plot is surprising, excellent !!! Made me cry just now... best part is when the boat hits the false ceiling and he makes his choice.......freedom....courage...better to know what's behind the door, better to suffer but knowing the truth...to face the fears, what a challenge.....love the movie.... It is a surprise to see and enjoy Jim Carrey interpreting not a comedy role ...... Ed Harris...always great..A movie to see over and over, a movie to buy and keep in a best movie's collection....My Very Best.... I, personally compare it with " The Hours " and "Magnolia" ....... Aren't they great ????

truman show

Author: robert L.decker jr. (longhairhomie@excite.com) from ny, usa
28 November 2002

okay.i just seen this recently.a couple of weeks ago and it apparently did not leave a lasting impression on me.it is not a memorable jim carrey movie.it is mediocre at best.not a memorable classic like the mask and ace ventura series.it is rather a spinoff of comedian goes to drama documentary style projects that are not meant to leave lasting or meaningful impacts of memorable sorts. the men in the control room are not convincing in their roles and they are not to be known in fond terms of myself as a viewer of this barely mediocre jim carrey project.especially at the end where the guy with the glasses acts like he's a god and starts almost appearing that way as we hear his voice being broadcast towards carey's character(truman) and proceeds with his unforgettable line of,"well,why dont you say something now,truman?say something goddammit! i hated that part.he reminded me of the typical sinister puppetmaster mindset of the very flawed corporate self righteous scum of the country.that guy really needed a swift kick by jet li into his stupid ugly mug if i must say so myself. anyway.i guess it had it's points but basically very much more towards being a forgetable and flawed project highlighted by stupid godwannabee characters like that stupid jerk with the glasses at the end. i liked carrey's response to that jerk though.the way he kept his cool and proceeded with his exploited life so gracefully and sportsmanly as he did was poetry in motion if i must say so myself. for it's points(carrey's usual versatile acting abilities)which resonated and made up for the wannabee jerks and had a redeeming quality in itself,i give this one a 6.0/10.0 if you like to see jerks put in they're place and are able to overlook flawfull acting and truly unmeaningfull attributes of a good film then give it a try,i guess. peace out.

Entertaining Interlude

Author: marine-3 from Bergen County, NJ
27 January 1999

I am not a Jim Carrey fan. His performance on one of the MTV award shows a few years ago was a prime motivator in my having that channel removed from my cable service. I rented "The Truman Show" at the urging of my teenage son - what a pleasant surprise! Carrey CAN act when not behaving like an ass. Very entertaining & thoughtful movie. Certainly gives one second thoughts as to just how much television intrudes into all our lives - shades of "1984" - not too far away folks! If we're not careful.

Sterling Ed Harris, as always.

I was disappointed, however, not to see the reunion between Truman & Sylvia. But then the human/true/real aspect would have clouded the entire concept, perhaps. Good movie & highly recommended.

Dissenting "intellects" please keep in mind the adage (paraphrased) "An intellectual is one who has been educated too much".

Jim Carrey's Finest!

Author: anonymous from Maryland
4 August 1998

This is by far Jim Carrey's finest, and one of the finest movies ever realeased. It's funny, serious, action-packed and romantic all in the same boat. Even though a couple of my friends said it was terrrible, I think anyone who wants to see a movie, and think too, should see Truman and his wonderful show. ****

One of the best films ever

Author: Robert M. Flaxman from South Orange, NJ
3 August 1998

For anyone who expected Jim Carrey to not be able to help himself and turn the movie into another lame comedy that couldn't live up to expectations, think again. Jim was absolutely fantastic in this movie and definitely proved he can handle dramatic roles. The film drips with pathos as you start to empathize with Truman's situation and the way he is being treated, but don't let that get too much in your way and let it block your view of the rest of the movie.

The ending is, of course, the best part and probably one of the greatest endings to a film Hollywood has turned out. The Truman Show is the smartest film of 1998 and one of the more original concepts to appear in quite some time.

True Man

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
30 July 1998

The film is an amazing combination of existentialism, surrealism, and symbolism. Truman turns into a Christ figure by the end and represents the desire of all people to find the truth of who they are and why they exist. > What is really amazing is that all of this is poured together into one film that is entertaining as well as thought provoking. How often do we get that from Hollywood? Other than CONTACT, I can't think of many other films recently.

Not as original as I thought

Author: Robert-63 from Charlotte, NC
25 April 2000

I was one of a great many people who saw this movie and were blown away at how original it was.

Then, a few nights ago, while flipping channels, I caught the last five minutes of an episode of Twilight Zone, The (1985). The episode (I've learned after digging a little) was titled "Special Service" and was episode 3.27, airing in 1988. It concerns a regular guy who discovers that his entire life has been orchestrated and broadcast as a cable TV show.

I guess it just goes to show that all of us who thought, "Man, what a Twilight-Zone concept that movie was!" were more right than we could have known!

Grade: 7 out of 10. Good. Worth seeing, but once will probably do.

I love this film.

Author: pearl_girl79 from Surrey, BC, Canada
30 April 2003

I think this is a fantastic film. It is one of my favorites. I think it is funny, touching and even sad. You can't help but feel badly for poor Truman when he starts discovering things aren't what they seem. I think my absolute favorite line in this movie is from Christof when he said "Cue the sun". Sure, maybe its impossibly expensive to build an entire town inside a sphere and create a TV show about a persons life without them knowing it. But when was the last time you saw the Star Ship Enterprise (or Voyager) flying over earth ? Its a great fantasy movie, thats all it is. The acting in this movie is superb, especially that of Jim Carry and Ed Harris. Ed Harris' character is so evil, the way he thinks he knows what's best for Truman. One line he says "I am the creator...(pause)....of a television show that brings hope and joy to millions" Its almost as if he has a God complex. Well, I think he does. I have to wonder, if such a show actually aired, where a persons life was on the air 24/7 from infancy to adult, would we actually watch it ?