IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 26 of 94: [Prev][21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [Next]

What Could Be Better?

Author: comwiz13 from NJ
29 May 2003

After watching the Truman Show multiple times I have decided that it is one of the greatest movies of all times. While I do not consider myself a movie buff, I will say I have seen a number of movies in my life and this movie was not only captivating but it moved me. While many people say movies are moving, this film made me truly think about the world around me. It was a great cinematic achievement. By the way, one of the comments said that the town in which Truman lives (Seahaven) is unrealistic and I would just like to say that not only is the town realistic but is actually filmed in Seaside, a planned resort community on the coast of Florida. Further showing why we should look more closely at our lives.

Masterpiece

Author: kidhasaces from Canada
8 May 2003

Maybe this is going a bit far but personally this is my favorite movie of all time and think this was so well done that everyone must see it.The people who wont like this kind of movie are not opened minded. The first time I ever saw this movie I actually dozed off but decided to watch it again and I am extremely happy I did because this movie was so well tought.Im not too high on reality tv anymore because there is so many and getting sick of it but the Truman Show probably started all this reality tv. I would be very curious to see if they did do something like this in real life I would for sure watch it out of curiosity. I saw a few movies saying this was a very unrealisic movie and it sucked because of it well it was meant to be that way and what lord of the rings and harry potter are fictional.Anyways great movie Carrey at his best and Weir incredible director.

Powerful Movie

Author: HaddonfieldJason from United States
27 April 2003

Jim Carrey plays Truman Burbank. A normal guy who soon discovers his life is a television show. He rushes to find the truth. As the whole world watches. Very good movie. You somewhat are in Truman's journey. I liked the film very much. Jim Carrey gives the performance of a lifetime. It gives a lot of laughs. But is very serious. It is able to stay fun. Truman is a character that everyone can admire. See it because it is powerful,but also fun. Why didn't Jim Carrey never got an oscar for this?

Quite possibly the most intelligent allegory ever put on screen

Author: mhoney-1 from Pittsboro, North Carolina
16 April 2003

This is a perfect film. Andrew Niccol, a genius of frightening allegories(Gattacca, S1mone) created a brilliant story of a reality TV show(before we HAD reality TV shows) created by a demented genius known only as Christof(Ed Harris) about the life of Truman Burbank(Jim Carrey, in what is his first and best dramatic role--I can't believe he wasn't nominated!) who lives the American Dream in a picture-perfect island town. From the start, as you see that everyone he meets(or is supposed to meet) is an actor, and people are glued to the TV 24-7 to watch his life unfold. The movie is a frightening tale of manipulation, reality, environment, and a number of other things that haven't come to mind yet. Laura Linney, as Truman's "nurse" wife Meryl is hilarious when she picks up an object and speaks to the camera, advertising the item to the audience while Truman just watches, a little bewildered by her enthusiasm. Noah Emerich as Truman's beer-guzzling best friend comes up with some subtle yet humorous lines: "You've got a DESK job! I'd kill for a desk job." Natascha McElhone also shines as the girl who stole his heart, exposed him to the truth, and now is part of a minority of people protesting to free Truman. As Truman's suspicions arise about his life we feel with Truman, we become just as intrigued by his adventures as the people watching him on TV, and perhaps more compasionately. Ed Harris adds subtle charm to his character as a man who admires his art so much, and takes it so seriously, that he has come to forget that he's not God, and that Truman is a person just like everybody else. As long as he can keep him afraid of the water, Truman is a prisoner, never going to Fiji.

Takes itself too seriously

Author: Imnozy from Sydney, Australia
11 April 2003

I was amazed, reading some of the comments about this movie. If I hadn't seen it - I would have thought it was the most wonderful, thought provoking movie ever made. Having seen it - I wonder what all the hype is about.

Jim Carrey was good, no doubt about that. The story was an interesting one, but you have to suspend an awful amount of belief to accept the general concept. Unless I missed something along the way, I have to ask where did the money come from to sustain a setup of those dimensions. Surely not from a TV show that had run for zonks of years - if TV audiences are nothing else, they are fickle, something like that (if it were possible) would hold audiences for a year or so at best. Then consider the fact that hundreds of people would have to put their private lives on hold, for the purpose of convincing one person that his life was "real" - come on!!! I found that the whole thing was presented with such seriousness, to deliberately make the impression that it was making an earthshaking comment.

I'm happy to accept this movie as a fantasy, an entertaining one on which cast and crew did a good job. But earth shaking it is not, the best movie of all time - not.

Brilliant movie

Author: Ben Shultz from Delmar, Maryland
4 April 2003

This is simply the best movie I have ever seen. I think it's amazing how it came out in 1998, before the reality tv craze. It almost seems like Andrew Niccol (the screenwriter) is some kind of prophet. Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Laura Linney, aw screw it, EVERYONE does a great job of acting. And Peter Weir is a great director. The way he mixes all the different kinds of camera lenses and angles and views is really interesting. Anyway, to sum it all up, this is the movie that should have sweeped the 1998 Academy Awards. I've never seen "Shakespeare In Love," but I firmly believe it stole the Best Picture Oscar from "The Truman Show." Anyone who has not seen this movie, I urge you to see it soon.

Truman!

Author: SpaceMonkey-Mafioso from United States
22 March 2003

To state it simply: The Truman Show is a modern day classic. Great Concept, great script, great direction and great performances. The movie works in two ways. First, it is an often hilarious satire of the entertainment industry. But, it's not really a satire of reality TV; when Truman came out in 1998, the only mainstream reality shows were Real World and Cops. Nicol's script actually predicted America's (and the world's) fascination with reality based programming. Second and more importantly, Truman Show is a statement about human existence. Truman represents all of us. He is the every man, the true-man. That may sound pretentious, but it works beautifully. Throw in Weir's tight direction and amazing performances by Carrey, Harris and Linney and you have one of the best films of the 90's. A must see.

One of the Best Films of the '90s

Author: Nick Parisi from United States
17 March 2003

Screenwriter Andrew Niccol followed up his inspired but slightly uneven debut (Gattaca) with this brilliant, Peter Weir directed film. Those looking for Dumb and Dumber should look elsewhere. I can still remember the inappropriate laughter from those in the theatre during a very profound scene in which Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) actually touches the limits of his known world for the first time. Those who were looking for Ace Ventura were just dying to laugh at something - those who weren't saw the scene for the philosophical statement it really was.

This is an intelligent, innovative take on what is actually a fairly standard SF convention - the idea of an enclosed universe, combined with the discovery by an inhabitant of that universe that "reality" is not what it seems.

Many thought Jim Carrey got snubbed for a best actor nomination (most prominently Carrey himself), but the real injustice here was that the film was not even nominated for best picture. Niccol was nominated for best screenplay, and deserved to win as well.

This is speculative fiction of a kind that Hollywood rarely produces. Gattaca is also highly recommended and, despite Niccol's misstep with "Simone," he's still a talent to be watched.

Alright, but just to hard to believe.

Author: Aaron1375
8 March 2003

This movie is kind of a take on reality TV. The show focuses on Jim Carrey's character Truman. The cameras follow him everywhere as he is actually living in this big TV studio. Everyone he thinks he knows are actors including his wife. Interesting enough, but I just have a hard time believing this show would have stayed on the air from this guy's birth to the point of being a grown man with a wife. No show lasts that long and this show would be rather dull one to watch. This one is at its best when it is more comedy oriented. Unfortunately, it is more of a drama and takes itself to seriously when it should be more fun to watch. Carrey does do a good job in the main role, but Ed Harris is just too bland for me. I can't believe he was nominated for an Oscar for this role...he just was not very good to me. I also don't think this TV show is realistic in that I would think it would be illegal to keep someone basically as a prisoner without their permission.

All the faults aside though it is a rather good movie to watch, I just wish it were a bit funnier.

The First Reality Show

Author: aggped
5 March 2003

I saw this movie when it first came out. I thought it was intelligent, witty, amusing and an interesting concept. I also thought it was Jim Carrey's greatest performance at that time. Little did I know that a lot of television show executives were apparently watching as well. Now, five years after it's release, watch this movie, then look at the programming on TV and ask yourself one question - "Could the Truman Show be that far off?" The answer may surprise you....