IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 24 of 94: [Prev][19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [Next]

Kafka-esque tale of the sham of contrived 'reality TV'

Author: brower8 from United States
11 January 2004

How much of an illusion of reality can one create, even with the unlimited resources of a profitable TV enterprise? A TV producer, one "Christof", devises the most artificial environment possible must seem real -- indeed the only possible reality -- for Truman Burbank, whose life is a TV show, and every scene is a stage, and every person is an actor except him, the ultimate fool, from his birth nearly thirty years earlier. Truman Burbank must have the illusion of complete freedom, but he can't have it. He must also have the delusions of privacy and the genuineness of all of those in on the 24-7-365 scam. If he ever figured it all out, he'd go insane from the absurdity of the situation.

All is beautiful, and everything is a set-up... even his 'love interests' who must be in on the plot to delude him into thinking that there is but one accessible reality -- a world in which everything is a sham, if a pleasant one. Truman has been part of a 24-hour TV show, the ultimate reality program, now in its 10,909th straight day... and knows nothing else. He's beginning to chafe in a world in which he has been "legally adopted at birth by a corporation", an enterprise created by one "Christof", a TV producer. Everything depends upon Truman Burbank staying right where he is, in an unreal set-up.

If you enjoyed the old British TV series "The Prisoner", then you will enjoy this too as an intensification. This is a brainy movie, not so much a blockbuster as a Kafka-esque or at least Serling-esque tale.

I was quite surprised...

Author: schelle from Dworp, Belgium
5 January 2004

Yeah well, like the title says... I always thought this movie would be a lot more "in your face", especially with Jim Carrey as the lead. But I have to admit I was wrong and it was a really nice movie, sometimes even subtle (I never thought I'd use this word while talking about Carrey;)

And, of course, a sublime Ed Harris, as always... Does this guy ever give a bad performance? And the ending was surprisingly un-Hollywood.

I mean, in most mainstream movies, I always get the impression they feel they have to be too elaborate and exaggerate with explaining everything that happens...

Overall, I give it a 8/10

Peter Weir is very underrated

Author: Ben (auctungdaddy@aol.com) from reno, nv
5 January 2004

Peter Weir is one of the most versatile directors ever, with all of his movies covering a vast amount of subjects. But the other day, I realized something else about him that is quite fantastic. He has taken several actors who are known for playing a certain type of role, and put them in challenging roles that have changed their careers, such as Jim Carrey, Robin Williams and Harrison Ford. I watched Ace Ventura the other day, and was blown away by how annoying Carrey was in it. Almost all of his films before Truman Show were equally annoying. Yet Weir was able to turn him from a one-trick pony into someone that delivered one of the best performances i have ever seen. The same can be said for Williams, who was not known for his dramatic acting abilities, yet Weir cast him in a role that was quite touching. Ford was known mainly as an action star before starring in Witness, but in that movie he gave a realistic, brilliant performance. All i can say is WEIR IS THE MAN

Modern techniques and their hold on human beings

Author: Ray Massart from Belgium
4 January 2004

What is reality? Our perception of the "real" world is based on our immediate surroundings and we have no notion whatever if we are being manipulated or not. This is the true philosophy on which this interesting movie is based.A sequel to "1984"and "Brave New World" which stresses how modern techniques have evolved to a point where their hold on human beings has become an all overwhelming god-like power. Jim Carrey is great at finding the right balance between humor and seriousness. The plot evolves well and succeeds in convincing the viewer that all of this could happen or is happening now, admittedly in a deliberately exaggerated representation. When Truman steps out of his fictitious surroundings, one asks oneself if he is going back to reality or just to another form of an imaginary world. This is a powerful movie which really makes you think.

Frightening

Author: Vitaly from Israel
8 November 2003

The movie wouldn't have such an impact on me if I saw it in 98. However, now they made a new reality show in Israel, in Truman's style. A poor man is being fooled for a few weeks to think he is being elected to play in a new soap opera. And the most ironic thing is that they are actually MARKETING their show by showing us "Truman's Show" and advertising their "Steve's show" all along the movie.

I would think that they actually LEARNED something from "The Truman's Show". I guess some people are inspired by movies in all the wrong way.

Philosophical Allegory of Freedom

Author: Avi Solomon from Jerusalem, Israel
1 November 2003

A slickly veiled philosophical allegory of Plato's Cave, The Truman Show is a triump of social commentary of 'in the box' living and prophetic warning of the surveillance future into which we are all heading. Yes, for in real life Truman is You, albeit in a sinister vein. The film is a also a good representation of spiritual awakening and the need for constancy and aim in overcoming all troubles to walk the path to freedom, while appreciating the help we receive along the way.

its a travesty Carrey was not nominated for an Oscar!!!

Author: Aatif Nawaz (a.nawaz@rhul.ac.uk) from London, England
28 October 2003

Forget Big Brother...Ed Tv...all the reality tv shows you see these days. This is the real deal. The granddaddy of them all. The one that got the ball rolling. This movie is also significant as it was Jim Carrey's first serious role of note. Despite the scepticism of the critics, Jim carries the role with aplomb. An outstanding performance in a challenging role.

Very Good Movie

Author: Jacci
19 September 2003

This movie in my opinion was very well done. Peter definitely has a great imagination. I enjoyed watching the movie because it seems to have a little bit of everything in it.

For Hollywood's films, this one turned out good. I would suggest anyone over 13 could see this movie. It is appropriate for children around age 10 but they would most likely not understand the plot.

But if you have older children and you need a warm, sweet, enchanting movie, this is definitely a good choice.

Haunting

Author: englishmajor from Somewhere in school, USA
19 September 2003

The first time I watched this movie, I sat in rapt attention, not even daring to jump up for a snack or bathroom break. Though I'll never relive the experience of watching it for the first time, this movie is still phenomenal. Underrated, this film seems to have attracted a cult following; everyone I know who's seen it (which isn't many) loves it.

Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, and Laura Linney give wonderful performances in this film about reality and unreality, fears and desires, and God/human relationships. I can't identify one overarching theme because this movie deals with so many different philosophical ideas, as well as raw emotions. Just watch it and be amazed.

Jim Carrey is remarkable.... A superb actor!!

Author: i_am_truman_burbank from United States
6 September 2003

I have seen this movie about 10+ times, and everytime I see it, I love it more. One of my favorite parts of the movie is the Opening Monologue that Truman speaks when he is infront of his bathroom mirror. It is great about the mountain climbers!! I enjoy the part of the movie where he starts to catch on as to what is going on around him. Overall, I would say that this is my favorite Jim Carrey movie to date. Then would come "Dumb & Dumber" and "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" and "Once Bitten".