IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 88: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

A superb movie. But why is it a comedy?

Author: R from Singapore
13 April 2004

I was just wondering why people think this movie is a comedy. I thought it was scary, sad, and incredibly compelling. Reminded me of the Matrix, where the people really didn't know that the real world is out there.

I think that the most terrifying thing would be if this concept was true. That the world is a stage and we are its actors. If it was true how would we know? Are we really just a part of a grand tv show to some superior being? Don't certain religions teach something like that?

This movie gets an 8/10 because it got me thinking. It made me see that life is just a bloody play act anyway. We act everything anyway don't we? We go to work.. and Act there....We go home to our families... and Act there.... We say our prayers...and Act again ... is nothing Real? Even Love... doesn't it turn into an act after a while?!?!?

Darn it folks! I'm off to find myself some reality...I wish all actors a Good Afternoon, Good Evening and a Good Night!!!

Very good movie

Author: jt1 from Lawrence, KS
9 April 2004

It's lacking something that would make me call it great, but I LOVE the premise (a real "everyone is out to get you" sort of thing and brilliant performance by Jim Carey) and it was very satisfying. It's also something that can infuriate you as the viewer when you see the show's producers try to manipulate him and keep him from living a real life. Very powerful stuff.

When you watch this, the most difficult thing is figuting out Truman's character and getting into him, but once you are, you'll feel general compassion for him and he becomes a true hero. One of the rair times Carey actually plays a likeable character (the only other time I can think of would be in Liar Liar).

In case I don't see you...

Author: R_O_U_S from United Kingdom
17 February 2004

So now Peter Weir has a BAFTA. For some boat movie. Well, whoopee-do. Never mind his earlier, better movies. Such as this. A story about the ultimate betrayal on one hand, a deconstruction of the hyper-realist nature of our post-modern lives on the other, and an unintentional retelling of Doctor Who – Vengeance On Varos on the side, this is really something of a minor masterpiece. Carrey's Truman Burbank is a put-upon hero to rank with George Bailey from It's A Wonderful Life, a man whose destiny is to come face to face with `God' (and it's also better than Bruce Almighty). One of the more perfect endings put to celluloid caps it.

Great movie!

Author: nored from Atlanta, GA
5 February 2004

I loved this movie when I first saw it and it really has held up after multiple viewings. If you're looking for the slapstick that Carrey is known for then look elsewhere. However, if you like original stories presented with great production values and a talented cast then this is your movie! 9/10

Great Film

Author: ryaneco (ryaneco@hotmail.com) from Sydney, Australia
5 February 2004

The truman show would have to be one of the best films of 1998. The film has its comedic parts yet also is very dramatic. It marks the suprise turn of Slap-stick comedy actor Jim Carey into the drama/serious movies and does it not that badly. The themes resonate throughout the film and in the space of 100mins you grow to love the characters and the ending leaves you feeling sad yet somewhat happy for truman as he embarks on his final leg of the groundbreaking show. 8/10

A really good movie

Author: Matthew Cole from Niagara Falls, Ontario
21 January 2004

The first time I saw this movie, I was a bit confused as to what was going on but I rented it afterwards and then I started to figure it out. I have a feeling that Jim Carrey added a few jokes when he was filming this because they sounded like something he would do. It was an interesting story though but a thinker. i liked it 10 out of 10.

Kafka-esque tale of the sham of contrived 'reality TV'

Author: brower8 from United States
11 January 2004

How much of an illusion of reality can one create, even with the unlimited resources of a profitable TV enterprise? A TV producer, one "Christof", devises the most artificial environment possible must seem real -- indeed the only possible reality -- for Truman Burbank, whose life is a TV show, and every scene is a stage, and every person is an actor except him, the ultimate fool, from his birth nearly thirty years earlier. Truman Burbank must have the illusion of complete freedom, but he can't have it. He must also have the delusions of privacy and the genuineness of all of those in on the 24-7-365 scam. If he ever figured it all out, he'd go insane from the absurdity of the situation.

All is beautiful, and everything is a set-up... even his 'love interests' who must be in on the plot to delude him into thinking that there is but one accessible reality -- a world in which everything is a sham, if a pleasant one. Truman has been part of a 24-hour TV show, the ultimate reality program, now in its 10,909th straight day... and knows nothing else. He's beginning to chafe in a world in which he has been "legally adopted at birth by a corporation", an enterprise created by one "Christof", a TV producer. Everything depends upon Truman Burbank staying right where he is, in an unreal set-up.

If you enjoyed the old British TV series "The Prisoner", then you will enjoy this too as an intensification. This is a brainy movie, not so much a blockbuster as a Kafka-esque or at least Serling-esque tale.

Peter Weir is very underrated

Author: Ben (auctungdaddy@aol.com) from reno, nv
5 January 2004

Peter Weir is one of the most versatile directors ever, with all of his movies covering a vast amount of subjects. But the other day, I realized something else about him that is quite fantastic. He has taken several actors who are known for playing a certain type of role, and put them in challenging roles that have changed their careers, such as Jim Carrey, Robin Williams and Harrison Ford. I watched Ace Ventura the other day, and was blown away by how annoying Carrey was in it. Almost all of his films before Truman Show were equally annoying. Yet Weir was able to turn him from a one-trick pony into someone that delivered one of the best performances i have ever seen. The same can be said for Williams, who was not known for his dramatic acting abilities, yet Weir cast him in a role that was quite touching. Ford was known mainly as an action star before starring in Witness, but in that movie he gave a realistic, brilliant performance. All i can say is WEIR IS THE MAN

I was quite surprised...

Author: schelle from Dworp, Belgium
5 January 2004

Yeah well, like the title says... I always thought this movie would be a lot more "in your face", especially with Jim Carrey as the lead. But I have to admit I was wrong and it was a really nice movie, sometimes even subtle (I never thought I'd use this word while talking about Carrey;)

And, of course, a sublime Ed Harris, as always... Does this guy ever give a bad performance? And the ending was surprisingly un-Hollywood.

I mean, in most mainstream movies, I always get the impression they feel they have to be too elaborate and exaggerate with explaining everything that happens...

Overall, I give it a 8/10

Modern techniques and their hold on human beings

Author: Ray Massart from Belgium
4 January 2004

What is reality? Our perception of the "real" world is based on our immediate surroundings and we have no notion whatever if we are being manipulated or not. This is the true philosophy on which this interesting movie is based.A sequel to "1984"and "Brave New World" which stresses how modern techniques have evolved to a point where their hold on human beings has become an all overwhelming god-like power. Jim Carrey is great at finding the right balance between humor and seriousness. The plot evolves well and succeeds in convincing the viewer that all of this could happen or is happening now, admittedly in a deliberately exaggerated representation. When Truman steps out of his fictitious surroundings, one asks oneself if he is going back to reality or just to another form of an imaginary world. This is a powerful movie which really makes you think.