IMDb > The Truman Show (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truman Show

The Truman Show More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 97: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Good movie.

Author: Takethispunch from Greenland
18 December 2016

As told through interviews and footage through the film, Truman Burbank is the unsuspecting star of The Truman Show, a reality television program which is broadcast live around the clock and across the globe. His entire life has taken place within a giant arcological dome in Hollywood, fashioned to create the seaside town of Seahaven, Florida, and equipped with thousands of cameras to monitor all aspects of Truman's life. All of Seahaven's residents are actors. Creator and executive producer Christof wants to capture Truman's real emotion and human behavior.

The producers have discouraged Truman from wanting to travel beyond Seahaven by instilling him with aquaphobia through the "death" of his TV father in a boating accident, and by constantly broadcasting and printing messages of the dangers of travelling. Despite Christof's control, Truman manages to act in unexpected ways. During his college years, Truman was set to fall in love and marry co-student Meryl, but fell in love with another actress, Sylvia. Sylvia managed to bring Truman out of the sight of cameras long enough to warn him that his reality is fake before she was taken away and off-set, with her "father" claiming they are traveling to Fiji. While Truman went on to marry Meryl, he continues to fantasize about Sylvia, using scraps from magazines to recreate her face in secret, and seeks travel to Fiji. Outside of the show, Sylvia has become part of a "Free Truman" campaign that demands the end of the show.

Why not serious?

Author: blumdeluxe
9 December 2016

The Truman Show confronts us with a question more than one of us has probably at one point thought about before: What if everything I take for granted is indeed just fake? What if the world I live in isn't real and I'm just entertainment for someone else? While it does so, it raises some critical points. It's sad to say, but I'm quite sure that there would be plenty of people willing to produce such a show if they had the chance to do so. Furthermore I can also imagine that plenty of parents would be selling their children for glory and cash.

While I really liked the female lead in this movie, I slowly begin to worry that I won't become a fan of Jim Carey in this life anymore. Not that he played bad it's just always a bit over the top, the smile a bit too bright and the behavior a bit too enthusiastic to really take the otherwise very earnest plot serious. I did cheer for him to escape, not at least to reunite with his true love, but the end may be a bit uncreative. In an otherwise perfect illusion the best they can do is the most obvious staircase I've seen in a while? And a painted wall? But never mind, what is so special about this film is that it is not too far away from what could happen. Especially nowadays, with the technology increasingly modernizing, it would probably be not too hard to make a baby grow up in a perfect illusion. And that is, indeed, a serious thing.

Provocative and philosophical, this film is not for every stomach.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
29 November 2016

This is a film that is uncomfortable and difficult to digest because it weaves hard social criticism. Life in that seaside city represents the reality that we want to show to others, as if we live by appearances (we actually live). It is an ideal city, perfect, calm, without trash, without crime, without poverty, where all are good friends but there is no relation of closeness or friendship, or anger or rancor... no trace of humanity, in the good or the Bad sense of the term. And Truman Burbank is the symbol of an artificial human being in an artificial world. It is this artificiality latent in everything that bothers, always bothered the character who, after all, is unaware of being part of a millionaire reality show, which transmitted to the world every moment of his life. And here lies another important provocation essential to understanding the film: a critique of the kind of TV shows we watch, programs that exploit and make millions at the expense of people's weaknesses and pains. The film also makes some surreptitious and highly philosophical considerations, equating the nature of God, the size of the Universe, the reason for Man's existence. The film develops well, around Truman's quest for truth behind the apparent lie where he lives.

Jim Carrey is the big name of this movie. He does an excellent job and proves to us that he can also be serious and dramatic. However, he may have disappointed some audiences who went to see this movie expecting another comedy. He shone in this dramatic role, is almost always present and succeeds, even in the serious context of the film, to look nice and play without getting to the point of idiocy. Ed Harris also shone in the role of the director of the television program, always trying to keep his star. It's a side supporting role, but Harris knew how to ennoble your character with a job well done.

This is a complex and provocative film, but it hides behind a relatively simple story and great humility. It is not an elaborate production, it does not seem to me to have been expensive nor does it have huge special or visual effects. Everything is done with discretion but efficiency. However, it is not a movie for anyone. It's funny without being funny because it's not the humor that makes the movie work. It leaves a lot open, leaves many questions and reflections in our head. For some, it will be a boring movie.

What can I say? A whimsical comic fantasy that I actually liked

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
23 November 2016

An engaging, one of a kind fantasy yarn which propels you into a journey into an impossible world, and is one of those "concept" movies that stays in the mind (the only other comparable work I can think of at the moment would be GROUNDHOG DAY). In the light of reality shows like BIG BROTHER, THE TRUMAN SHOW is effective in its depiction of an entire world obsessed with one specific television program, which is in itself the ultimate "reality" show as it shows the 24-hour day, 7-day a week life of the one guy who's not acting in a sea of fake appearances and pretend people. Blessed with excellent music and a fine, distinctly un-Hollywood director in Peter Weir, this is a film in which the concept can't fail. The script is witty and highly amusing at times, especially when real-life invades the fantasy world and has to be desperately explained away by the producers.

Jim Carrey - to be frank, an actor I can't stand - puts in a restrained and adequate performance as Truman, probably the most accessible role for his non-fans. Ed Harris steals his scenes as the frightening, bullish Christof, and the rest of the cast enjoy playing their over-the-top polite and friendly characters for all their worth. With a knowing wink at consumerism and without too much sentimentalising, this is perfect family fare and a must-see little film with a warm heart and the feel-good factor; in all probability it really did deserve the Oscar nominations it received.

one of the most original movies

Author: gorfis666 from Lithuania
16 November 2016

This movie just proves what an amazing actor Jim Carrey was and still is. The main role is played extraordinary well making viewer live the moment and feel as one of the real The Truman Show fans. The soundtrack may seem odd at first but after a while you get used to the classical music and realize that in only makes this movie even more awesome. If you really think about it the move has a very deep and hidden message which is relevant even to people in 2016. There is so much that everyone can learn from this masterpiece about the influence of television, internet and press. Overall, an amazing film, made almost 20 years ago, however, still relevant to today's society. One of the most original movies ever made, highly recommend.

First time I managed to tolerate Jim Carrey

Author: irishm from USA
14 November 2016

For quite a while I refused to watch this based on who the star was. I was familiar with his "style" and didn't care for it. I finally gave in to all the assurances that this film wasn't like his other performances, and I really liked it.

The reviewers who say it's like an episode of "The Twilight Zone" aren't far off. But I like the fact that it's not taken too seriously, unlike many TZ episodes... this subject matter, as evidenced by many of the "hated it" reviews, could easily have been presented and intended to be taken in a deadly-serious way, but it's not, and I like that.

There could easily have been a "show-down" scene at the end between a disappointed, unbalanced, angry Truman and his "creator", Christoph. I usually don't like open-ended conclusions, but in this case I thought it worked. Truman remains the nice, trusting guy he always was... he sees his newfound freedom as a gift, a long-awaited chance to see what the actual world has to offer, and he takes it, with no visible hard feelings. Why not? That's his character and his nature. A confrontation scene would have been interesting and most likely well-played by both Carrey and Harris, but it wasn't necessary. The payoff for the audience is that Christoph loses everything in the blink of an eye (fame, power, income, and the biggie: complete control), while Truman goes off to begin his REAL life (and presumably track down his lost love somewhere along the way).

It's especially interesting to view this today, with the reality-TV wave cresting. The real people on these current shows are called "cast members", their lives are called "storylines" which are played out in "seasons", and sometimes it can be hard to remember that they're actual human beings.

"The Truman Show" started, by Christoph's own admission, with an unwanted pregnancy. So did "Teen Mom".

Totally Unexpected

Author: triggerhappy-63862
10 November 2016

When I first saw the ratings for this movie, I didn't think much of it at first. It just looked good and I wanted to check it out. Never did I expect this movie to be this good at all. I was amazed at the detail put into this and I was always impressed at Jim Carrey about how well he did in this film. It brought into light something that I have not seen him do that much at all. Not to mention, the overall story of what is happening to him is so interesting to see that you cannot take your eyes off the screen for a second at all or you will miss something that is very important and very crucial to the film. Overall, this movie was incredible.

The end-of-millennium masterpiece

Author: kirill_hellat from Moscow, Russia
8 November 2016

Directed by Peter Weir, "The Truman Show" comedy-drama art film gained manifold nominations, including 71st Academy Awards, 56th Golden Globe Awards and etc, as well as a chance to merit a rank of "Top Box Office Film" and, therefore, to be a testament to a "universal acclaim". What has engendered such a success?

Being set in the Seaside, Florida, in the 1998, the story revolves around the Truman Burbank, who has been unsuspectingly living under the thousands of hidden cameras and been constantly broadcast-ed world-widely since his birth for the sake of "The Truman Show". Things go smoothly until he gets to know the counterfeit image of his life and endeavors to escape, pending the disaster to the show's well-fare.

Staring the typecast comedian Jim Carrie as a protagonist in a dramatic movie could be considered as a bold decision. Yet, so as not to result in a science-fiction thriller as a manifestation of a "Simulated reality" as it is seen in the "Special Service" episode of "The Twilight Zone", by which the script writer of "The Truman Show" Andrew Niccol was inspired, eventually it turned out to be well-founded. Carrie's charisma and his dramatic performance lend themselves particularly well in the comedy-drama film, that now may seem to us more funny than dramatic. Additionally, the acting of the rest of the cast has contributed in the overall positive impression of the films, that fully involves the viewer, fires his imagination and gives food for thought. Even though the futuristic theme of the life in a simulated reality might seem rather unconvincing, the director managed to realize this idea and make us believe that it's quite feasible throughout the entire film.

To sum it up, in my humble opinion, "The Truman Show" is truly worthwhile watching. Although having come out at the end of the last millennium, it signifies the timelessness by its futuristic plot. It may also act as a starting point for a viewer's desire to get an insight in humanistic and post humanistic theories that this film implicitly enacts, give it or take it.

Top-notch jewel

Author: Aluxx from Canada
31 October 2016

The Truman Show is an authentic work of art - a movie that arouses the chronic solipsism hidden inside you. The backhanded, yet comedic film certainly succeeds to both: make us laugh and make us suspicious of life; that is exactly what's so ingenious about it.

Truman Burbank, whose life is the focus of a TV reality show displays brilliance of humanity and shows us how strongly our actions are styled by morbid curiosity.

Jim Carrey's phenomenal (and spontaneous) acting fed the film and helped it elevate higher to the charts, but of course Carrey wasn't the only thing that kept the engine roaring for this film - it was the ever-brilliant concept itself. This movie is for the ones who have spent their life thinking and will continue doing so. Definitely a top-class movie, jewel of 1998.

Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

Jim Carreys masterpiece

Author: alipura from izmir, Turkey
15 October 2016

A wonderful tale about how the controlling, manipulative world can be brought to it's knees by a curious mind that will not be deterred. Noah Emmerich almost steals the thunder from Jim Carrey but not without some of Carrey's trademark facial expressions. Ed Harris is brilliant as Cristof, the brain behind the show in the movie. I am disappointed in myself for waiting so long to buy the bare bones DVD just because the movie is so powerful.

Jim Carrey is simply superb! Many doubted he could pull off such a role but he showed otherwise and without doubt is the true star of the "Show". Excellent scripting and editing, and seamless direction from Weir. It's arguable whether it will stand the test of time, but is certainly a modern day classic!

Good morning good afternoon, and in case I don't see you, good night.