IMDb > Trojan War (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

For want of a condom

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
30 March 2017

I've always been a fan of Will Friedle, I think he's a very funny comic actor and at the time Trojan War was made he was just coming off years with Boy Meets World as Eric Matthews. He was the best one in the cast of that show.

Trojan War is a film that's a decade behind the times, it's something that the 80s brat pack would have done. In fact a refugee of said pack Anthony Michael Hall has a small role as a psychotic bus driver. It reminds me a lot of Tom Cruise's Losin' It.

Friedle plays this slightly nerdy kid who's funny in his own way if people actually listen to him. He's tutoring the teen dream girl of his life Marley Shelton when because she wants to make jock boyfriend Eric Balfour jealous she offers herself to him. But alas no protection so poor Friedle spends an adventurous night trying to get an elusive condom.

Some funny scenes, but it really has been all done before. Especially by Tom Cruise and Anthony Michael Hall in their salad days.

Not as good as I expected

Author: sonicflare21 from United States
19 July 2014

The film opens up strongly, but then quickly descends after the "practice" scene. Leah's obviously in love with him, her movements and reactions couldn't express that any louder. Yet, Brad somehow ignores the fact that the girl who's leg he was holding was an inch away from passionately kissing him.

From there on out, it became incredibly predictable until the end credits. The small problems become major problems, the "funny" bad guy (or girl, in this case) becomes reoccurring, the girl he's after turns out to not be the girl he truly wants, and the bad guy gets taken out by the good guy doing barely anything. What really bothered me about the final "climatic" scene was that the dog that he's had a problem with since leaving Brooke's house obeyed him in attacking Brooke's boyfriend, instead of attacking Brad. There was absolutely NO logic behind that.

The movie then ends with him realizing that the entire quest was pointless, as his prize has been right there in front of him the whole time. Then they kiss for a while, and movie's over. We don't know what happens to the gang members he befriended, we don't know what his parents do after finding out what happened (especially him losing their car), we don't know if Brooke and Kyle get back together, nothing is solved in the end except Leah's want for Brad.

There was a few solid laughs, but with it's 85 minute run time, a few isn't anywhere close to cutting it. I stared at the screen with a blank face for most of the "jokes" that were seemingly written by 10 year olds that try too hard to be funny. It wasn't very entertaining, but it did keep a "I still wanna see how this ends" type of vibe on me the entire time. Long story short, watch it if you want, but there's plenty other high school, sex comedies that do the job a hell of a lot better.

Quite Enjoyable

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
1 July 2014

This unambitious, well executed teen comedy got a little lost amongst the other teen films that came out around this time. While Scream and its various clones, and crude teen comedies like American Pie were big hits, and ensemble pieces like Empire Records and Can't Hardly Wait developed cult followings, this inoffensive little charmer was widely ignored, which is a bit of a shame as it is far from a bad movie.

Trojan War stars Will Freidle as Brad Kimble, a sex starved teenager who is completely oblivious to the feelings of his best friend Leah Jones (Jennifer Love Hewitt), due to his obsession with scoring with Brooke Kingston (Marley Shelton). Right when it looks like he is finally going to get his chance, he has Brooke on the bed ready to go, when suddenly he realizes he doesn't have a condom. So now he has to leave her lying there so he can go and buy a packet of Trojan condoms. Not highbrow stuff by any means, but the journey Will takes on his "Trojan War" is reasonably engaging with some good spontaneous laughs and the obvious love story between he and Leah developing in the background.

Jennifer Love Hewitt was known by this stage, as she had been in Part of Five for a couple of years, and in this one she really shows her credentials as a teen love interest. Freidle is great in several scenes, while most of the rest of the cast fade into the background. This is Hewitt and Freidle's film, and they are a likable duo.

While hardly one of the great movies of the 90s, this one was OK. And if you happen to be sitting down and see it coming up on cable, give it a go. It's quite a fun little film. Hardly a classic, but still worthwhile.

The First Worst Summer Movie I've seen

Author: blazesnakes9 from United States
19 October 2013

During my summer vacations over the years of seeing and reviewing movies, I was always happy and delighted to some movies that I'll always remember that particular summer vacation. Well, recently, during my summer vacation this year, I have to say that I've seen my first worst movie during the summer. And, it was not the last one I thought was terrible. In August of this year, I've seen another horrible movie. That movie was Harlem Nights, with Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. At the end of my summer vacation, I had to ask myself one question: What movie would I not want to see again? My answer? Trojan War. And, if you're asking what's Trojan War is about, let me tell you what exactly Trojan War means in this movie. A high-school senior, played by Will Friedle, wants to woo the girl of his dreams. The girl in his dreams is a beautiful blonde, who's also friends with a high-school jerk. One night, he sees his chance to make out with her. One problem stands in his way: he doesn't have protection. In other words, he doesn't have a condom. So, he goes to a convenience store and buys the condoms, all right. But, once he's outside the store, his parents' car is stolen by a group of Hispanic thugs. Movie stereotyping being seen here. Throughout this whole movie, the poor kid tries to get one condom and in the midst of the madness, he embarks on a series of misadventures. Those misadventures includes: walking into a nightclub and having to be forced to dance with a voluptuous Hispanic woman, having to take a wild ride in a city bus, driven by a insane bus driver, who doesn't like it when the riders don't pay for their ride on the bus, and we see the young man being taken hostage by the same Hispanic thugs that took his parents' car. Now that I explain to you what's the movie about, you can see that the title of this movie is misleading. People might think this movie is about the legendary story of the Trojan War that was fought in the B.C. era. Wrong. To me, this story is ridiculous. Why do we care about this young kid, who want to love this blonde? The only thing I have to say before I forget again is the supporting character, played Jennifer Love Hewitt. What is she doing in a movie like this? She's a young actress, who has the talent to express to the audience. Here, her character goes nowhere fast. The movie is also predictable and the elements of this story are burrowed from other teenage romances. We have the kid who's in love with the blonde in the movie. He should love the brunette. I mean, if I was this kid, I would've went with Jennifer Love Hewitt. I'm again ready to forget this movie once again. But, just because I've seen my first and worst summer movie, I didn't miss out other good or great movies as well. If I had to pick the worst summer movie of 2013, Trojan War would be my choice. I would leave this one in the heat for good. ★ 1/2 1 1/2 star.

More Of The Same... no, really!

Author: JJ McBlaze from Nijmegen, Netherlands
25 September 2009

Hey, Like some of the other reviews say, the movie is fully based in the '80's style of comedy. And that about wraps it up. It's one big cliché. Jennifer Love-Hewitt makes it all worthwhile.

I am wondering, though. Why is it that a good actress like JLH always ends up in cheap rip-offs??? Trojan War, I Know What You Did Last Summer... the list goes on and on. And now, after we've had Charmed and stuff like that we get Ghost Whisperer... I rest my case.

I do really hope to see her in an authentic role that will define her character and strengths because, and we can all agree, I think, she most definitely has 'em. Maybe... just maybe... we can persuade some people in reviving Party of Five?

Latez

Entertaining for what it is ! A nightmare? I don't think so.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
13 December 2008

Oh this was one of my favorite guilty pleasures! I've never been a huge fan of teen sexy comedies like this one, but I have to admit that it totally got my attention when it first came out.

Sure, the situations are very similar if not identical to many Hughes' classics from the 80's but you can't help but feel the late 90's vibe. I mean, the music, the clothing, the vibe.

The lack of the condom in the most important scene is displayed as a problem but be honest guys, who wouldn't like to be in the exact same situation?! Be honest!

Also, the movie displays a battle of morality but it's something I wish would've happened to me back in the time. I mean, having a super sexy but shy love interest, plus having the chance to bang the hottest sexy slut of high school...

Enjoy and remember your funny moments at high school. Don't watch this one otherwise you were a 90's pubert.

Strictly For JLH Fans

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
14 May 2007

The Trojan War (1997) starts with a pretty good premise, even if it was stolen wholesale from 1987's "Some Kind of Wonderful". Semi-geek virgin, desperately in love with the schools unattainable beauty who has become disillusioned with popular guy she has been dating. Protagonist's gorgeous (anywhere but in this school) tomboyish best friend is secretly in love with him? Cut to climatic party scene at which all this is sorted out.

Unfortunately they stole only the premise and not the actual script (or the cast with the exception of Marley Shelton who makes a fine "dream girl" replacement for Hewitt), so the production falls far short of its predecessor. It also falls far short of its 1998 successor "Can't Hardly Wait", also featuring Jennifer Love Hewitt-this time as the unattainable beauty. In fact the writers of that film appear to have taken the script from "The Trojan War" and re- written it for an audience with IQ's about 30 points higher. So my advice (unless you are a mega JLH fan) would be to stick with the predecessor and the successor and leave "The Trojan War" for its intended audience of wiggers and drones. The soundtrack is much better in those two films as well.

"The Trojan War" was pulled from its scheduled 1997 theatrical release because of poor projected audience numbers and filed away in the hope that Jennifer Love Hewitt's skyrocketing popularity (insert "Can't Hardly Wait", "Party of Five", and "I Know What You Did Last Summer" here) would change the equation and justify the promotional expense of releasing the movie. Even that was not enough for distributors to take a chance on the film and after a year of deliberation it went direct to video. And even with Hewitt's continued success in "Ghost Whisperer", the sales projections for a DVD release of "The Trojan War" has not excited anyone in the industry.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

Lots of Fun & Enjoyment

Author: whpratt1 from United States
26 March 2006

A friend of mine told me not to see this film because it was going to be boring about the Trojan War and the story about the Trojan Horse. Good thing I paid no attention, he probably never heard of a Trojan Condom and it is a wonder he knew what they were used for. Anyway, this was a very entertaining film with lots of laughs and good acting by the entire cast. Jennifer Love Hewitt,(Leah Jones),"Garfield",'04 was very beautiful and did everything possible to get the attention of Brad Kimble,(Will Friedle),"Less Than Perfect",'04. Brad grew up with Leah and liked her very much, but his big dream was to score with Brooke Kingsley,(Marley Shelton),"Sin City",'05. Brooke was a chick that had everything in the right places and was very hot to trot in the fast lane for guys. Well to make a long story short, Brad Kimble went entirely crazy thinking about Brooke and a single CONDOM. Enjoy

Why Trojan War?

Author: arabelamargean from Romania
2 January 2006

.....Let's forget about Will Friedle or Jennifer Love Hewitt...There are 2 teenagers,a girl and a boy,best friends 'since like sperm',one in love with the other,the other in love with someone else...It's about the everyday struggle of an ordinary teenager who falls in love with only the most beautiful girl in the school and who now has the chance to live his dream ignoring his best friend's suggestions.Brad(Will Friedle) is a dreamer punched in the face by reality,but in a comic way,in an attempt to make him choose the smartest way.But will Rational take the same road as Love?What will he choose?

If you are a teenager or looking for a comedy with teenagers,choose this classic genre for it's actors,for it's brilliant comic situations and well planned plot,choose it to laugh your way back to those early days of your adolescence when all you worried about was how to express your love without being disappointed and mocked at...

Enjoyable teen flick- not for teens only

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
10 December 2004

Will Friedle plays Brad Kimble who is dreaming of Brooke Kingsley (Marley Shelton).His best friend Leah Jones (Jennifer Love Hewitt) is dreaming of Brad.Brad's dream is coming true when he finds himself from Brooke's flat.But he runs into a problem when he realizes he doesn't have a condom.So off he goes to buy one.But that's not the only problem he runs into.So will Brad's dream come true? Or will Leah's dream come true? Trojan War (1997) is a great teen movie with terrific actors.Will Friedle is amazing in the lead.He's blessed with comedic skills.That you could notice in this great teen show called Boy Meets World (1993-2000), where he played Eric Matthews.Jennifer Love Hewitt is both beautiful and talented gal, who has been in many things, including "Party of Five" (1994-2000), where Jen played Sarah Reeves.There's also Danny Masterson from That 70's Show playing Seth and Will Friedle's real life best friend Jason Marsden as Josh.Lee Majors as Officer Austin and Anthony Michael Hall as Bus Driver are also pretty darn great in their roles. This movie isn't the most usual teen movie, even though the plot may sound like it.The word kafka-esque is mentioned in the plot keywords, which describes the movie pretty well.The journey Brad goes through is pretty surrealistic, like in a bad dream.That's what makes this movie pretty interesting.This movie can be enjoyed not only by teens, but also those who feel like ones, like me.I turn 23 today and I liked this movie pretty much, probably more than I should admit.So why don't you give it a shot.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]