IMDb > Touch Me (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Touch Me More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly Poignant

Author: rlf929
20 February 2005

I was browsing through the television listings when I found "Touch Me" listed as the Oxygen network's afternoon feature film. After learning that the film is a drama starring Amanda Peet and Michael Vartan, I was interested in seeing these actors perform in more serious roles than I am used to seeing them portray. They thrive in these roles. In their journey of becoming lovers, Peet (who plays an aerobics instructor and working actress) and Vartan (who plays Peet's boss at the gym she works at) are faced with social issues concerning commitment, drug abuse, betrayal, and the HIV virus. The movie teaches you that although people may appear destined for one another, there are serious hurdles they must face that make love even harder to fight for. Overall, this film was beautifully acted and brought me to tears at least five times. "Touch Me" is both moving and educational. It instills a ray of hope that people will be more accepting of friends and family that are faced with hardships in their lives. The film demonstrates the actors' range and promise in Hollywood. Most importantly, it teaches you how you must protect yourself from social dangers.

I loved "Touch Me"...

Author: themightyaphrodite from United States
24 March 2005

I enjoyed "Touch Me". It was cast beautifully. Michael Vartan and Amanda Peet have great on-screen chemistry. I had not heard too much about the movie until I saw it on Oxygen. I was surprised that it was a theatrical release; it seemed like a Lifetime or Oxygen made movie. To tell the truth, the only reason I watched it was because I love Michael Vartan but in the end, I loved it! It made me realize how valuable and short life really is and that we should live life to its fullest. My only complaint was that I did see it on television, and the commercials really made it difficult to tie the different elements together; the movie had many very short scenes. I need to rent it and watch it all the way through, with no interruptions; but overall, I loved it.

Cliched, yes...but well acted

Author: KSSunset1 from Kansas City
20 November 2002

I just saw this last night (joined Netflix, sounded like a decent movie to get). At times, it was a very difficult movie to watch, not because it was bad...but because it was real. Having lost a loved one to complications from AIDS, I can attest that the emotions that are shown are real. The only problem I had w/ the movie was the cliches: roommate freaking out, mom not wanting Bridget to play w/ kid, etc. Yet, many of the emotions that Amanda Peet & Michael Vartan expressed in their superb acting performances are incredibly real...it is that painful to realize you have contracted a disease that will cost you your life. You do pull away from intimacy, and cloud your pain w/ alcohol. Overall, I'd give 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. The writing was at times weak, but the performances make up for it. I recommend everyone see this movie- it may make you understand the disease better, and re-evaluate your life.

Good flick w/good looking stars

Author: Courtney from Texas
22 September 2003

This is a touching movie starrting two hotties before their prime. Amanda Peet displays her prowess as a woman diagnosed with HIV who has just begun a new relationship with Michael Vartan. Vartan exposes his sensitivity by not running scared, but by continuing to pursue a relationship.

love lives forever (spoiler!!!)

Author: Marina (Marina1907) from Erlangen, Germany
11 March 2003

Well, what can I say, once again I have to say that I admire Michael Vartan, not only because of his looks (well he def is eye candy nevertheless), but more because of his talent to show emotions. When I first saw Touch Me, i was so taken by the way he and Amanda Peet played their parts I had to cry. Whew, doesnt happen often these days. But these to bring a magic on the screen I havent often seen in a couple. And after watching "Never been kissed" and "Alias" I realized that it is mostly due to Vartan that this Magic is alive...whatever...Touch Me is a movie about love, aids and trust. Whoever out there believes in the magic of love and trust...take your time, watch the movie and watch it again. It is a story about 2 people madly in love and almost parted by aids...but as i said in my headline...love lives forever, thats what this movie shows and thats what i believe...so long, stay happy stay alive and love well - Marina

Great movie and talented cast

Author: Andrea2 from Montreal/Canada
5 August 1999

I had no idea what this movie was about before I watched it and I have to say that I really liked it. I thought that the story was told in a very interesting way. The AIDS storyline is rarely told from an heterosexual perspective (philadelphia, etc...) I liked the fact that it wasn't just a dramatic movie but that there was also romance in it.

I thought that the cast was incredible and the chemistry between Amanda Peet and Michael Vartan was great. I didn't know any of the actors before but I have definitely seen talent in this movie. Although the story is a bit slow at times and some might say contains some clichés, in general this movie is very good. Who said clichés have to be a bad thing? In this case I think that what one might say is superficial, was actually done intentionally. I recommand this movie to everyone. Amanda Peet is amazing in it!

« Aids » Moi - « Help » Me (DVD)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
17 October 2010

I allow me this french pun because the need for others is the essential cry for all patients, whatever the disease is.

I think it has been a great idea to cast Amanda for this part because if there is an actress who has truly a happy face always naturally enlightened by a smile, it's indeed her. So you know that there will be times when she will lost that smile and become very sad and down. I think she handled them with talent.

We must also give recognition to Mickael Vartan, who is the half brother of David Halliday, his mother being once the wife of our rock icon in France (Johnny Halliday). Beyond they really look like twins, his calm and patience are really a great support for Amanda.

If the story goes a little astray with the drama of the brother, I think it's a well-balanced plot because the painful moments are depicted (death or leaving of friends, fear, anguish and momentary "madness") as well as the evidence of hope (as there is life, there can be joy)! A decent movie with great cast that would have been memorable if it had been shot everywhere else outside LA!

Great Movie

Author: h_man from London, England
22 September 2001

The Story takes a different look at the aids issue. It does not hit you over the head with its point and just sticks to the main focus of the movie (a Heterosexual woman with aids). It is a great story and the actresses are great in the roles. Erica Gimpel (Fame, North and South, Profiler, Roswell) is a great addition to the cast and your heart goes out to her in this movie.

Important Aids based drama

Author: marekj66 from United Kingdom
9 May 2005

Touch me is a very interesting film as it takes on the topic of aids in a sympathetic and sensitive manner. Indeed, the first third of the film looks just like a listless stock t.v. romance. The film is distinctly clunky along the way and the substance of Vartan's character is the same as that of the Cutty Sark.

But where the film really starts to kick in and grab you, is when Peet's character finds out she might be infected by a previous boyfriend. This subverts the misguided stereotype that Aids is not a heterosexual issue and takes us into new territory. People in films want to see something new, something truthful and this film does this. Wow, what a challenging role this is for Amanda Peet to take on, few actors would have done this role. The somewhat cheesy romance is put on the back burner which is for the better while we focus on Peet and her experience of trials and tribulations of medical examinations and support groups.

The way the support group is introduced is terrific and the acting of the members of the group is great, particularly Irene Cara (remember her?) who is really ballsy. Peet's character was isolated but now is no longer alone. After passing through every possible tortured emotion, she reaches some kind of acceptance of her condition. Vartan's character loves her and has learnt there is more to life than money.(Cheesy, but hey)

If someone thought they might have aids or who knew someone who did, and they saw this film it would be of great benefit. And this is why this movie is worth seeking out.

Deeply moving

Author: savoir from Durham, NH
14 June 2002

One can't watch this movie and not be drawn into it. Youth perceives only immortality. Death is an anomaly that occurs to others. Peet and Hartan give a truly magnificent performance of two irresponsible young people who are forced to mature at warp speed. Their agony and sadness is felt by the viewer. One cannot see this movie and not be changed in one's thinking and caring differently about life.