IMDb > SubUrbia (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
SubUrbia

SubUrbia More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

subUrbia's not for everyone...

Author: krazy511 from NY
7 April 1999

I, personally loved subUrbia. It is a true reflection of youth and I think everyone who sees this movie can compare themselves to one or more of the characters. The reason I think many people don't like it is because of the language, and that it doesn't seem to have a point. But the point is, there are so many people out there just like the characters in this movie, waiting for their lives to go somewhere. Plus, the performances were very good, especially Giovanni Ribisi and Steve Zahn.

Thought Provoking Slice of Life

Author: Brandie (godwaskorn@aol.com) from Cincinnati OH
8 February 1999

This movie is great for those who like to take a step back and examine their own lives. You can find yourself within these characters, who are amazingly real. Although there isn't one particular thing that this movie is about, it moves you. Some of the speeches given by Jeff are simply amazing in their pure truth. An excellent movie that doesn't try to dance around the touchy parts of life. Realistic and appropriate.

Great soundtrack.

Author: anonymous
27 December 1998

If you don´t want to see this movie (which you should) at least hear it. It´got a great soundtrack which really takes the movie higher. Songs with Beck, Sonic Youth, Butthole surfers among others really captures what this movie´s about.

if you can stay awake for the first hour, you'll be alright

Author: matt smiley (msmileyluv@hotmail.com)
28 November 1998

This is my third Linklater film. I liked it the most, which is not saying a whole lot. What I hate about him (and since bogosian was writing, I had hoped this wouldn't be a problem this time) is that his films tend to be as aimless as their subjects. Most of his characters are about as interesting as any loser you could randomly hit by throwing a rock in a high school hallway. In this case, however, just when you are ready to throw in the towel, it gets really interesting. (And Parker Posey really livens things up when she appears in the latter half of the film. I mean, how could she not?!)First half: D Second half: A-

Harsh and realistic view on youth today

Author: Dr.Tart from Lexington, Ky
15 October 1998

Suburbia ranks as one of my all-time favorite films simply for the fact that it presents youth today for what it is: cynical, lazy, and jaded. While other movies show you the "Hollywood" idea of youth, Eric Bogosian's original stage play strips away the glamour and the "best times of our lives" view that most mainstream movies strive to portray. The ending grabs you, shakes you, and makes you think. In my humble opinion, it's one of the most harshly realistic movies on the "Kids In America" produced thus far.

"Good Summary Of Our Youth Today"

Author: Megan Chomskis
9 October 1998

Suburbia was a great movie. I saw it when it came out, and at the time, I'm sad to say, "The movie was an exact portrait of our youth today". Maybe one of the best portrayals of our youth. I hate to say, but my friends and I are kinda the corner store bums too. The Movie Rocked and Giovanni Rebisi rules all!!!!!!

Excellent movie

Author: scream58 from Lake Mary, Florida
2 September 1998

SubUrbia is one of those movies that stay in your mind forever. With gripping dialog, funny characters, and the strange reality that makes you believe this movie is happening while you're watching it. Dina Spybey gave a great performance even though the movie didn't include her as much as I hoped it would. Everyone else give incredible performances. Plus, it 's a Parker Posey movie, what else could you ask for.

Sad commentary on America's youth

Author: anonymous from Washington, DC
13 August 1998

This movie was originally a play. As a result, the movie has a lot of dialogue and not a lot of action. But the dialogue is very funny, and you do feel sorry for these kids. It's hard to believe that any of the characters will end up anywhere, except for the suburban wasteland of Burnfield that they reluctantly call home. I thought it was a very good movie, though a sad commentary on America's youth.

Why don't you swallow your cock and choke on it.

Author: Monica4937 from Florida
5 June 2005

I've always been a fan of Giovanni Ribisi, and seeing this film really made me realize why I like him so much. His performance is just amazing. This is a film based off a play by Eric Bogosian, which centers around a group of friends that pretty much spend their days and nights hanging out in the parking lot of a convenience store, drinking away their future. One friend in particular had broken away to become a successful pop star which only stirs up jealous feelings from his former childhood buddies upon his return. On a whole I think this film really offers something for those that are interested in movies that are intellectually stimulating. There isn't a whole lot of action, and the entire movie pretty much takes place at the convenience store, but for what it lacks in scenery and "effects" it makes up for in dialog and acting. 9/10

Not Original

Author: Ian Garrett from Houston, TX
26 November 2003

It was a play first, vey often produced over the last decade. Linklater can't be blamed for the story or any of that. Its a film version of a play.. like house of yes, or the upcming Angels in America, or the LAramie Project. And, the main difference between a film and a play is that a play's script is not up for discussion along with the action as it is not a unique single act, it is an interpretation by a director of the playwright's words. A movie script on the other hand goes hand in hand with the action as it is meant to be created as one entity.

That aside as a common misconception for so many people I see reviewing plays like they were movies (leave the script alone talk about acting and direction), I like Suburbia.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]