IMDb > Still Breathing (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Still Breathing is still breathtaking

Author: editor-306 from Canada
13 July 2006

Combining eccentricity with serendipity, Still Breathing is still, almost ten years after it was first released, one of the best fate-filled and wistfully magical love stories of all time. Take one somewhat unusual street performer who is mystically drawn towards his soul mate - a hardened con artist miles away, and then back their journey towards, away and towards one another with a gorgeous soundtrack that moves effortlessly from Chopin to Carly Simon, and you've got one very touching if not markedly unique story. Fraser is great as the slightly odd lovestruck suitor as is Going, who clearly portrays her struggle with losing the grip on her tough anti-emotion veneer as it starts to crumble under Fraser's enticing conviction. The lovely locale of San Antonio, TX also adds to the charm of this special film that will leave you wondering if one soul is truly destined to be, exclusively, with another.

Deep meaning flowing through it - Excellently cast

Author: kirkham-1 from California
15 June 2004

If you are not a sensitive guy - don't bother. Otherwise, this film is a treat. You must see the film in its entirety or you will not get it. Super casting job - I do not know of any others who could have handled the parts so well. A true look beyond the superficial plastic sides of characters we usually see. A truly pleasing experience to watch. Brendan Frasier and Joanna Going have much more going for them then the typical fluff of Hollywood types and this movie displays their depth well. Celeste Holm is enchanting and the supporting cast add much color and flavor.

The best Truth/Love screenplay that's ever been written?

Author: galileo from Chicago, IL, USA
16 July 2003

I'm blown away by this screenplay. It's the best modern movie about "true love" I've seen. The emotional depth portrayed in the characters is explosive yet classic. Marry that with incredible cinematographic images and a wonderfully eclectic, sophisticated soundtrack, and you've got the ingredients to a contender for my short list of all-time favorites. As you can tell by this over the top reccomendation, this movie's got the kind of overboard sentimentality that inspires the same in me!

It's so unbelievably probable that you want it all to happen - for a real dream!

Author: Ruby Liang (ruby_fff) from sf, usa
11 June 2001

Like most people who discovered STILL BREATHING - written, directed, and produced by James F. Robinson, I chanced upon this fantasy of a film while checking out Cable programs. The beginning sequence just kept me curious and wanting to know more, what's going to happen to the two main characters and so on. At the time, I just saw Brendan Fraser in "Blast From the Past" opposite Alicia Silverstone, and appreciated Joanna Going's role in another small gem, "Eden" (1997, written and directed by Howard Goldberg), as a wife-teacher-mother who has Multiple Sclerosis. STILL BREATHING has magic, and it's so relaxingly delightful!

You might say it's quirky, or want to dismiss it as mere fantasy romance. But if you believe - as the film suggests, fate takes a hand in the destined arrangement of two persons being together. The pairing of Brendan Fraser (as Fletcher, the goofy but smart, always a sincere aura about him) and Joanna Going (as the aloof, vulnerable and hesitating Ros) is a godsend unlikely possible couple. James F. Robinson's writing is just right, and his direction is right on. Kudos to October Films for distributing such a wonderful 'small' film, greatly satisfying and enjoyable. It's a surprise gem.

There are special close-ups of things - a leaf, a hand, a rock, a knee…each has its own subtle, subliminal significance. Welcome, fate and destiny. Fraser is this young man with such a dedicated and steadfast focus in what he believes - in his heart (a trait handed down from generations in his family) - it is not hokey. It's so unbelievably probable that you want it to be - to happen for real. It's romance at play without showing cupids and 'cutesy' elements. It all seems so downright natural - even thought we know we're in a fantasy Hollywood movie. It doesn't matter: you're on this seeking journey with Brendan and you're not gonna let go - can he fulfill what he held close to his unwavering heart? Joanna Going's Ros seems perfect opposite Fraser's Fletcher. It's matchless casting! Wonderful writing. Imaginative. Creative. What a love and destiny story. Ah, Fletcher and Ros. (I'm repeating myself.)

The supporting cast proves to be just as delightful: Celeste Holm as Fletcher's grandmother Ida who has versatile talents; Lou Rawls is the Tree Man who plays music; Ann Magnuson is Ros' social pal Elaine; Michael McKean is a momentarily rich business man. Yes, the menu includes classical tune played by a jazz band, puppet show to cheer a young child, stones stacking as an art, slide projections with 'geographical' touches, endearing hints of black & white flashes. There is wisdom of love, or love legend a-telling… It's San Antonio, Texas vs. L.A. city scene - which place would you choose? Depends on whom you'd be with - or shall we leave it up to fate?

The soundtrack and sound effects contribute to the whole enjoyment of STILL BREATHING. Check it out. Leave skepticism aside. Don't miss a beat.

Deeper than it sounds

Author: lassofrivendell from Zionsville, Indiana
13 June 2003

Still Breathing is a cute, feel good movie for all romantics out there. It is quorky, and even in its simplisitic thinking, it is truly a 'deep movie'. Brendan Fraser is terrific as Fletcher, and Joanna Going is splendid as Roz. However, many people might look down at this movie because it is rather, well, fictional. Many believe that true love is implausible, but this movie teaches that whatever the scenario, true love is completely realistic. I enjoyed this movie very much and hope that, without becoming repetitive, there will be more like it.

Inexplicably overlooked romantic comedy

Author: wiluxe-2 from Austin, Texas
28 March 2005

I saw this at it's premiere in Austin at SXSW a few years ago--Joanna Going sat two seats over from me in the balcony at the Paramount on Congress Avenue in Austin--and the audience loved it. Brendan Fraser is pretty charming in the lead. I was surprised by the cameos: what's-his-face, Lou Rawls, as a street musician; and what's-her-name, who played Fraser's mom (I don't have the cast list handy). An "OLD Hollywood" icon. Anyway the plot is pretty unique, but maybe the main plot device could have been more clearly explained right off; I knew what was happening only because the director said what was happening in his opening remarks to the Paramount audience. The producer, a tall blonde BABE in a very lovely dress, gave me a CD of the soundtrack as I was leaving; I told her I thought the film was great and that I hoped she'd make a lot of money off it. She sighed and said she hoped so too.

Beautiful, spellbinding

Author: pzylik from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
21 November 2003

I can't remember how I came across this unheard-of movie a few years ago, but I am a fan of Brendan Fraser and so I settled back to watch it. I'd never heard one little thing about this movie before, and I was so pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. There was a quiet magic about the whole story. It was a beautiful, peaceful, serene experience just to watch the relationship develop and to enjoy those stunning scenic shots. When the movie ended I felt so relaxed and refreshed! Some months later I had a chance to watch it again, and once again it was like a calming meditation. "Beautiful" and "Magical" are the only two words coming to mind to describe this movie. It's excellent, and I recommend it highly if you're in the mood for something sweet and peaceful that will make you feel much more alive afterwards. I give it 8 out of 10. Wonderful movie.

Beautiful

Author: Buffycar from Illinois
1 December 2003

I absolutely LOVED this movie. The way it was filmed was so beautiful. It made me want to visit Texas. I was thrilled to see Joanna Going. She was on a soap opera I used to watch a looooong time ago. She is as beautiful as ever. The characters are believable. Joanna Going's character, Roz, is a con artist but instead of disliking her you feel sympathy for her. I would watch this movie again and again. The music weaves throughout the film and makes you feel good.

Excellent Move

Author: fusionjazz1 from United States
16 June 2007

I was channel surfing one Saturday afternoon in '05 and fell into the last half of this film. I was hooked! I called a store manager of Blockbuster to help me find this movie for purchase in all their stores back in '05 and she had one VHS left on the sales shelf. There are no more reprints of this for retail sale unfortunately. After watching the movie in its entirety, it was heartwarming. Truly a 'feel good' movie to cheer you up. This movie is beautifully done. The scenes and story line just flows wonderfully to blend into a great story line. Excellent direction from beginning to end. Finally, a movie with a great ending! Joanna Going and Brendan Fraiser are great together. It's one of my favorites. It touches the heartstrings. It may see like a chic-flick but guys would enjoy this too. The mystery and comedic aspects throughout make it lightheartedly touching to watch. The whole concept of how to find your true love has always been a mystery. This movie touches upon that. If only men do find their true love this way it would make a great reality-TV series. (LOL) The SOUNDTRACK is excellent. It's a shame they stopped printing this movie for retail sale. (http://stillbreathing.com/) They really should re-release this and sell more of the DVDs (at a reasonable price). It's too excellent of a movie to sit on a shelf or sell on the streets. Now and then cable movie channels air this but it's rare. If you get an opportunity to watch this movie, it is indeed, a true treasure of a film. I highly recommend it.

hot, hot, hot!!!

Author: meerelda21 from Texas
4 October 2007

Oh, my GOD!!!! For years, I've had a thing for Brendan. This movie sealed the deal. He is too hot for words in this flick!!! The chemistry between the players is freakin' amazing!! My poor hubby searched high and low on the internet to find a copy of this for me, and fortunately, when our house was robbed last Christmas, they left my all time fave movie. I don't care just how "hardened" you may have become in the dating world...this movie will remind you what romance is all about. Being a Texas with a heart felt fondness for San Antonio doesn't hurt, either. Ladies...I guarantee that after this movie, your night will be filled with pleasant and slightly naughty dreams....especially the wife beater, personal serenity device...and OHMYGOD....the slide show scene. AHAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Trust me, it's a gooder!!!! You'll love it!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]