IMDb > Space Truckers (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Lighten Up, Folks!

Author: sstuart3-1 from United States
27 March 2006

Space Truckers is too vulgar and raunchy for the art house crowd, too clever for the great unwashed, and too silly for anyone expecting to be convinced that they're watching "real" science. The lines are deliberately dorky, the special effects entirely unconvincing (who cares?), and the movie adds up to complete absurdity. I've seen it more than once, and it gets funnier every time. For people who complain that Dennis Hopper must have been really hard up to have agreed to do it, what about Charles Dance, a superb actor (Mr. Tulkinghorn in the new PBS "Bleak House")? They seemed to get the jokes, played it with zest, and managed to make it fly. I thought it was hysterically funny.

Gonzo Space Opera,

Author: Raegan Butcher from Rain City, Pacific Northwest
13 April 2006

Like Stuart Gordon's other venture into science fiction territory, the underrated and ill-fated ROBOT JOX, this is a nifty little film that was plagued by production difficulties and failed to find a theatrical distributor, which is a shame because its quite an enjoyable viewing experience. Everyone in the cast has fun in this , with Dennis Hopper delivering some unexpected and funny bits of dialog, Debi Mazar and Stephen Dorff providing reliable 2nd banana support and Charles Dance having the time of his life with his horny half-metal madman. This Excellent DVD offers a chance to see this little sleeper in a great looking print with a fascinating and funny commentary by the Director. This film delivers exactly what its titles proclaims.

Amusing.

Author: Jason Blalock (WizardX) from Dallas, TX
19 July 1999

I have to respect movies which promise something and deliver exactly that. When I rented this (I was bored tonight) I had absolutely no expectations for some great piece of art, another Star Wars or Aliens. It was, however, a very cute and often amusing piece of sci-fi satire. (probably my favorite bit was how the truck's voice was a redneck woman, instead of the usual authoritative british guy) If you try to take it seriously, of course you'll hate it. But if you rent it because you want to see a beer & popcorn B-movie, then it's a REALLY good B-movie. I may have lost 90 minutes of my life and gained no new insights on the meaning of the universe, but I did have a good time.

A fine old adventure

Author: xorys (xorys@idirect.ca) from Toronto, Canada
27 September 2000

I have to say I really liked this movie. It seemed almost like something simpler... from another time - a story, romance, adventure, characters... and most of the money spent on acting talent rather than special effects (although considering this was presumably a low-budget effort, and I believe went straight to video, the effects are... well effective - they work and do their job in the story, even if they're a ways from breath-taking by modern standards). It held my attention from the opening until the final credits... I was never even tempted to reach for the fast-forward button... and I enjoyed it! It made me feel almost like a kid again, reading a comic - rather a racy, violent comic though... it's definitely not a children's film. Recommended to anyone who can still enjoy an adventure told with humour and sincerity, without irony, and without any pretensions to being an "event movie".

B-Movie Plus

Author: Andrew Duncan James Critchley from Newcastle, England
11 June 1999

Space Truckers is a perfect B-Movie. It has a title which makes anyone cringe, and a lightweight plot with no originality, except perhaps the concept of a square pig. That said, as long as you watch it with no expectations you will be pleasantly surprised. The quality of acting is generally good, with a competent cast (particularly Charles Dance) managing to avoid laughing their way through the script. The ending however is almost unwatchable, yet I can't escape from the feeling that this film is entertaining, which is all that any movie should aim to do.

Stupidly awesome

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
30 December 2012

The plot: Space truckers run into problems with space pirates, space politicians, and killer robots (who, technically, are not space robots).

Space Truckers is essentially a low budget, B movie space opera that's a parody of low budget, B movie space operas. It's full of cheesy lines, cheesy set design, and cheesy special effects. In fact, it's such a cheesy movie that it sometimes makes The Rocky Horror Picture Show look like The Godfather. At its heart, this movie is stupid, pointless, mindless, and has nothing to say about the human condition, except that it's funny to laugh at bad movies. If you're a Stuart Gordon fan, that's probably enough for you to enjoy this. As an added bonus, it's got a great cast, including many B movie veterans.

It can be enjoyed as either a so-bad-it's-good B movie or a clever parody. Like most Stuart Gordon films, it has rather narrow demographic appeal, and people who are not genre fans (or Stuart Gordon fans) are likely to hate it. I love Stanley Kubrick as much as the next film snob, but the world also needs ridiculous movies like Space Truckers and The Toxic Avenger. In fact, this movie is something of a marriage between Troma and New World Pictures. If you're unfamiliar with those studios -- or you dislike their copious output -- I'd strongly warn you away from this film. Space Truckers was reviled by the critics, rejected by audiences, and thought to be unintentionally funny by B movie fans. Well, for the true believers, this is an awesome movie, and nothing will ever convince us otherwise. Such is the cult of Stuart Gordon!

So bad it's Good

Author: Beerstud-2 from Florida
24 July 1999

I knew this movie was going to be bad going into it. What surprised me though was how much I laughed. I'm not sure if they meant for this movie to be funny but it was a riot. Space Truckers is a great party movie for the absolute ridiculousness of the whole thing. One last thing; SQUARE PIGS!!!

Cute, Very Cute

Author: Tony Basoglu (tonyb@null.net) from HongKong
8 May 1999

If you liked "Space Balls" you will also find this movie worthwhile. Yes, it is dumb! The jokes are corny, and the acting is purposefully bad. Don't take it too seriously, and it's an enjoyable movie.

YEE HAW!

Author: Evil Al
15 February 1999

Oh Golly, where can I begin?

This is state of the art mind boggling (and occasionally numbing) garbage with little if any purpose whatsoever.... I loved it! I had been hoping to catch this on HBO for monthes, and I got my chance about a week ago. And it was good.... oh it was so good!

I'd rank this up there with "Space Balls", if you love cheesy sci-fi with no meaning, real plot or storyline, and no real reason for being made, check this out....

I can't believe Roger Corman wasn't somehow involved....

****1/2 / ***** Keep on Rockin'

Hopper loses at cards

Author: Quicksand from United States
29 December 1999

The only thing that makes this movie funny is the fact that they actually got Dennis Hopper and Stephen Dorff to be in it. They must have lost a bet with somebody, and a pretty big one.

The script is so/so. The dialogue is so/so. The special effects are cheesy, but unintentionally, so. In Gordon's "Fortress" or "Robot Jox," the special effects were pulled off quite well and looked really great. But why on earth would he opt to go for realism, in a movie titled, "Space Truckers?!"

The production design was intentionally cheesy, and that's the part of the movie I loved. "Square Pigs." "Zero Gravity Beer." That, friends, is comedy.

Not quite self-aware enough. But good for an afternoon rent when you think all straight-to-video is garbage. 6 of 10.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]