IMDb > Sliding Doors (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sliding Doors

Sliding Doors More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What a difference a few seconds can make?

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
28 April 2004

The romantic comedy, 'Sliding Doors', is a great look at how quickly a person's life can change in a matter of moments. By taking one path instead of another, forming a tantalizing 'what if?' In fact this movie gives the impression that some things are meant to be known, while some things are not.

London publicists Helen, is effortlessly sliding between parallel storylines that show what happens if she does or does not catch a morning train back to her apartment. Love. Romantic entanglements. Deception. Trust. Friendship. Comedy. All come into focus back and forth, overlap, then surprisingly converge in one of the great romantic comedy films in years.

Sliding doors is one of the best films that Gwyneth Paltrow has done. It has it all, humour, anger, sadness, love, compassion and a lot of lying. This movie is most special for the way the two storylines overlap, making this a very original movie. Paltrow's performance is grand as the 'hurt Helen' or the very 'naïve Helen', depending on which parts of the film you are watching. Some of her lines are priceless. Paltrow has had a very celebrated career in acting and of late singing and deserves all the accolades she gets. It was also refreshing to watch her in the murder thriller 'The perfect murder', along with screen legend Michael Douglas.

Yet there are some other great performances in this film. John Hannah was exceptional as the sensitive and understanding 'James', who is helping the 'hurt Helen' back to being her 'old self'. Then you have the cheating boy 'Jerry' played by John Lynch, who was using the 'naïve Helen' to live out a very adulterous and selfish lifestyle. It was very funny to see the way he handled the situation with Helen actually. Then to top it all off, we get a great performance from Jeanne Tripplehorn, who was Jerry's girlfriend on the side, who gives Jerry a very difficult time in both parts of the story.

This film also has an impressive soundtrack. With acts like Blair, the Brand New Heavies, Dodgy, Jamiroquai and the Space Monkeys. Yet there are two very famous parts to this soundtrack. One is Elton John, who is given a bad mention in the movie, when Jerry is caught in a most precarious of positions while playing the Elton John song, 'Honky Cat'. However the best song on the whole soundtrack comes from the band Aqua, with the tune 'Turn Back Time', which suited the film perfectly. The film clip to this song is also very good.

Sliding doors is one of those feel good movies, which can also make you feel sad as well. It shows how difficult life can be in a relationship and how important relationships can be as well. It also proves that relationships are extremely hard work and you need to find someone who you trust and love and that you get the same feelings back in return. If you want to see the good and bad sides of love take a look at this romantic classic.

CMRS gives 'Sliding Doors': 4.5 (Very Good- Brilliant Film)

Undoubtedly one of my favourite films

Author: mjw2305 from England
2 February 2005

Gwyneth Paltrow plays Helen Quilley, she works in Public Relations and is dating an idiot who is cheating on her (come on guys, would you?) After losing her job she heads home early, and the film then follows two Parallel realities, that cross over and intertwine in a very clever manner, that adds a great deal to the movies quality.

One way, she gets home and finds him cheating, and the other way she is mugged and her boyfriend gets away with it, at least for now.

In this wonderfully charming romantic comedy, great performances from, Paltrow, Lynch, Hannah and Tripplehorn plus a good script and some good laughs all add up to a movie i simply don't tire of. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, i just love it.

9/10 and a must for Paltrow Fans

Unique and Natural

Author: vibeke-2 from Utah, USA
11 November 1999

This film is a lightweight comedy/drama with a unique story. Although Gwyneth Paltrow plays the same character in both aspects of the story, both Helens seem completely different. The flow of the story seems quite natural and the cast does a wonderful job going through the twists and turns of their characters lives. It's a chick flick with none of the sap.

A Delightful Romance, With a Wonderful Screenplay

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 April 2005

In London, the public relation Helen (Gwyneth Paltrow) is fired from her position in a PR company. While returning home, she does not catch the train in the subway. But in another possibility of her life, she catches the train in the subway. The story shows two parallel lives of Helen: in one life, she stays with her boyfriend Gerry (John Lynch), and in the other life, she finds that Gerry cheats her with Lydia (Jeanne Tripplehorn) and falls in love with James Hammerton (John Hannah).

"Sliding Doors" is a delightful romance, with a wonderful screenplay. There are excellent lines, and the chemistry between Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah is marvelous. John Lynch is a good actor, but is completely miscast in the role of a man disputed by two gorgeous women. I have just watched this movie for the third time, and I still love it. It is very interesting that in 1998, two movies presented similar concepts of different situations depending on a minor event: "Sliding Doors" and "Lola Rennt". This theme is fascinating, but there are many unfair reviews of this film in IMDb, which is one of my favorite movie. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "De Caso com o Acaso" ("Having an Affair With Fortune")

If I Had Just Waited

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
7 November 2001

I am so enamored with this kind of film. How many people have asked the question after having an accident or chanced upon something, "If I had only left a minute later, none of this would have happened." Now we get into the who time continuum thing and parallel universes. I know this isn't a science fiction film, although a Twilight Zone episode may have fun with this plot. When we are dealing with the characters colliding through the fourth dimension, a whole different set of circumstances are put in motion. The reason we can never travel back in time (while forward is possible) is that time would then become mutable and what we are may no longer be and then we wouldn't travel back in time. Two roads diverge in a woods paraphrasing Robert Frost, but what if we could take each of those roads and see what happens. This movie is quite magical and does the best it can to get Gwyneth Paltrow through her parallel universes and see the things that one would see. I think the problem is that unless we get into quantum physics, it's hard for the average person to really reconcile these sorts of events. I thought the acting was very good and believe things as they unfurled. I would recommend this film if you like to think about the possibilities it envisions. Try it on yourself sometime and extrapolate your own existence from some fork in the road and imagine what may have been.

Where was I when this film first appeared

Author: (normangelman@verizon.net) from Washington, D.C.
15 May 2006

I don't remember reading a thing about this movie when it originally appeared, and that's odd because I enjoy Gwyneth Paltrow's work. I caught up with it on DVD, and I thought it was a superior movie with an extremely interesting premise and splendid performances by Paltrow's co-stars. Without giving too much away, the film deals with two separate scenarios that evolve from Paltow's (a) catching or (b) missing a subway train. The director manages skillfully to lay the two stories down alongside one another without confusing either one. Although the two Paltrows are distinguished by different hair styles, even that isn't really necessary. She (becomes) happy in one story, desperately unhappy in the other. She succeeds (eventually) in one story, fails in the other. She is the same character but entirely different. As she proved in "Shakespeare in Love," this girl can act. There aren't many films where chance causes alternate fates that are followed through to a rather surprising end. Worth seeing for that reason alone. Plus Gwyneth Paltrow, of course.

This movie will make you think a lot

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
8 August 2009

This movie will make you think for years on end, Just that one little thing could change your life for good.

This movie is running to stories of Helen Quilley who has just been fired of her work place for drinking the night before has she rushes to the train station, while go down the stairs a little girl get in the way and she goes around girl and train door shut in face.

Then we see the movie rewind and she back on top the stairs this time mum pulls the girl way from wall so she can get past, just about got on to the train, in this scene we can she her on train also on outside train.

From here we see both side of stories, we see how life would have been if she did catch the train and we can also see what would have happened if she missed the Train.

The movie was well written and Gwyneth Paltrow is was outstanding in this movie.

8/10 ending was disappointed but it better then ending i was thinking of.

Author: crisp_morning_2004 from China
23 July 2006

Sliding doors is a film about fate in a woman's love life. "Fate" is Yuan Fen in Chinese.

Arriving at work one morning, Helen found herself unjustifiably sacked from her PR job. When she headed back down to the tube, life was spit into two realities.Helen was about to live both of them.

In one reality, she caught the tube train. On her way home, she came across a guy named James who was impressed by her casual elegance at the first sight. She got home earlier than usual, only to find her Lothario boyfriend Gerry in bed with his ex-girlfriend, Lydia. So she went to the bar to drink down her sorrows of being sacked and cheated. There she met James again. Though at first, she demurred. But soon she recognized James began to be endeared to her by his sense of humor and being very concerted. They fell in love with each other. her boyfriend wanted to win Helen back. She was in a dilemma. But soon she found that Lydia and Gerry still dated each other on the sly and was over him totally. What a disaster it was when she detected that James was a married man. Everything got clear by the end of the film. They hugged each other again. Helen wanted to make a call to her best friend Anna to relieve her worry about her. Just at the moment, a trunk ran into her. She was sent to hospital and miscarried the baby she had with James. James was quite regretful. He whispered at Helen that he would give happiness to her all his life. The ending is quite soothing.

In the other reality, she missed the tube and got mugged. When arrived home, finding his bf in a shower. And continued the relationship. She got two part-time jobs as a food deliverer and a bar maid Things got doubtful. Gerry seemed nervous and worried in fear of being detected his torrid relationship with Lydia. He found Lydia was quite demanding. And Helen began to be skeptical. He couldn't balance between them. One day, Helen got a new offer and went there to have the interview, only to find her boyfriend was there too with her would-be boss Lydia. She rushed down stairs, in the struggling with her bf, she fell down and was sent to the same hospital at the same time as the Helen did in the first scenario. She miscarried and was over her bf completely. She went out the ward, went into the lift. A guy named James happened to see his mother in hospital and on the same lift. She dropped the earring. James picked it up for her. They stared each other as if they met some time ago when Helen said "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" which was James's favorite quote on the above situation.

It seems fate has been predetermined, especially in love matters. No matter u miss the tube or not, u will meet James, the man who will fall in love with u. No matter u meet James or not, U will find your bf's affairs with Lydia.. Though life is like a sliding door, it closes one end but opens the other. the result is much alike.

Not Rocket Science

Author: lje32677 from ElCajon, California
13 July 2004

This movie is definitely not rocket science, but it has a charm all it's own. It is thoughtful about what might happen in a different reality if we make different choices or "fate" aligns just right for whatever reason.

There were some very funny moments, especially when Hannah let loose with his version of Pythons "Meaning of Life". Gwenyth Paltrow brings her character across as mousy. I just wanted her to jet angry and throw her boyfriend out. You know, the stereotypical, clothing on the front steps, changing the locks etc. But it was good she had a pal to take her in.

I do like this movie and consider it a "keeper". I recommend it for some "light and fluffy" entertainment on a night after a long day.

And for the record: scene in boat by the bridge. I liked Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Mick Jagger. :)

Interesting...

Author: zedex (cnsherry@iolfree.ie) from Dublin, Ireland
8 December 2002

After being fired, Helen (Gwynneth Paltrow) runs to catch a train that, unknown to her, her future hinges on. If she catches it, she'll get home in time to catch her boyfriend Gerry with another woman. If she doesn't, she'll go on not knowing about his infidelity.

This has to be one of the most intriuging plots I've ever seen. Most films would take just one or other of these plots and churn out a typical rom-com, but Sliding Doors turns them into one excellent film. The acting is great (even if Paltrow's accent is at times a little too British and forced) and the plot twists every few seconds. It could have become very confusing, but the direction is good enough that you can easily follow the two stories at once.

There are two things that stop this film being a 10. The first is that the two Helens sometimes seem a little too different from each other to be the same person. Even if they have gone through to different experiences, they don't act the same at all. The second is that the message of the film seems that we don't control our own future-after all, it isnt Helen who decides if she makes it to the train, it all depends on if a little girl is pulled out of the way by her mother in time.

Still, this is a very entertaining film, and definately worth watching. 8/10.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]