Safe House (1998) Poster

(1998)

in a word - wow
blanche-26 October 2017
"Safe House" from 1998 stars Patrick Stewart, Kimberly Williams, and Hector Elizondo.

Stewart plays Mace Sowell, a former operative for the DIA (not CIA as he's quick to point out) - the Defense Intelligence Agency. Now retired, he lives as if he is about to be killed any second. In his bed is a dummy version of him, while he sleeps in another area; he has a room full of computer monitors which track what's happening on his property, monitors conversations, and he seems to always be signing into something top secret. When he goes out in the car with his daughter Michelle (Joy Kilpatrick), he is heavily disguised and lying on the floor in the back seat. His doctor (Elizondo) prescribes medication for him that he won't take. He periodically schedules "drills" which includes such things as attacks on his home where a masked man (actually his friend Marc) uses his maid as a human shield.

It's clear to Michelle that her father needs round the clock care, as he's in the early stages of Alzheimer's. In order to allow him to stay at home, she hires a social worker, Andi Travers (Williams) to stay with him. Over time, the two form a bond. He tells her that he has enough evidence against his old boss at the DIA, Thomas Michelmore, who is running for President, to ruin his career. Michelmore has already had several people eliminated who knew too much, and Mace believes he is next.

Mace has this evidence on a server that will email it to every news outlet in the world unless it's reset with a new password every 24 hours.

So the question becomes - okay, he probably is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, but is he just paranoid or is someone really out to get him? Is any of this true? It's clear his daughter, her husband, and Mace's doctor don't believe him. Will Andi?

Really fantastic film that keeps you absorbed and involved until the very end with lots of surprise action and humor, all leading up to a fantastic finale.

Patrick Stewart is wonderful as a man who realizes he's going over the edge and fights every second to stave off dementia. Kimberly Williams as his patient and level-headed caretaker does an excellent job throughout, as does James Harlow (Marc) who is constantly coming up with new impressions of actors, everyone from Jim Nabors to Jimmy Stewart.

Highly recommended.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting but not what I expected
spradley-322 January 2016
I didn't read the jacket description carefully enough and was surprised that the majority of this film was about the main character, Mace (Patrick Stewart) developing Alzheimer's. It started out predictably with Mace neurotically drilling on security protocols and attack situations. He's retired intelligence, after all. But then we learn that some of what he's afraid of is not enemies, but memory loss associated with the disease he hopes he doesn't have but finally accepts. His daughter hires a woman to look after him and we are immediately suspicious because she's smart, gorgeous - why does she want a job looking after an old man developing Alzheimer's? As the film progresses, I agree that Patrick Stewart does a very good job as someone who depended on their memory to stay alive and has put safeguards in place in case of ... well ... we know. Clues from the TV that is constantly on, keeps us thinking that there must be something to Mace's fears though I didn't think the film would end quite the way it did. It was good but I wouldn't call it an action movie (aka Die Hard) but rather a suspenseful psychological drama. It was not a very uplifting movie because even if our hero makes it out alive, we know his memory is not going to last. Movies about Alzheimer's are sad and this one is also.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent unusual Spy thriller with Patrick Stewart
midge5612 August 2015
This is an excellent spellbinding spy thriller superbly portrayed by Patrick Stewart. This thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. While it was a Showtime film it is not low budget or low quality. The entire production, cast, script & film quality are all first Class. Beware, there is another film by the same name, without Patrick Stewart and a different script entirely. So check carefully to ensure you have the right film.

The unique story of a retired DIA agent (defense intelligence Agency) suffering from early advanced Alzheimers with extreme paranoia of being the target of gov't assassination attempts to silence him from exposing the dirty laundry of a Presidential candidate. Stewart goes through extreme measures to protect himself & remain physically fit & ready as he realizes his mind is rapidly deteriorating. Stewart is the epitome of class, fitness & superb academy award level acting in this action thriller. Stewart underwent extensive preparation of exercise, bodybuilding, martial arts, self defense, dancing, guitar, gourmet cooking & strenuous training prior to this role to be in peak physical condition & skill for this talented character role.

The audience is led to believe his daughters perception that his extreme paranoid behavior is due to his Alzheimers. She is unaware of his DIA career & believes her father's assertions as an intelligence agent are fantasies as are his fears of assassination.

He becomes the last surviving member of his former DIA team who knows the truth about their former boss who could blow the whistle on his political aspirations. His only protection is a deadmans switch on the internet which he has to deactivate every day to prevent automatic dissemination of documents & photos proving the Presidential Candidate was involved in high level assassinations.

His daughter unwittingly hires a "too good to be true" compelling freelance contract agent as her fathers caretaker who quickly wins her fathers trust & that of the audience. That trust soon turns to unexpected consequences.

Stewart is at the top of his game on this film. Excellent Acting & performances by the entire cast. Fantastic script, action & top of the line spyware.

I cannot overstate how great this film is from start to finish. Unless you are some immature neophyte or political hard nose you will definitely enjoy this movie.

This is a quality film which nearly everyone should enjoy. I highly recommend it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Less You Know The Safer You Are
Terryfan27 January 2015
I remember seeing this movie in a video store a few years back and only saw that it had Patrick Stewart on the cover now as a fan of his I did consider renting it but never got the chance.

A little time later I found it on TV and now here is my review of Safe House.

Patrick Stewart and Kimberly Williams star in this thriller. as Patrick Stewart plays Mace Sowell a retired intelligence operative who is suffering with the beginning stages Alzheimer's disease.

Kimberly Williams plays Andi Travers a house keeper for Mace who begins to care for him as he goes through his issues of Alzheimer's disease.

It plot is not something you see all the time where the protagonist suffers through a disease that makes it different and interesting and Patrick Stewart pull it off really well.

Kimberly Williams is interesting as Andi she bonds with Mace as she tries to help him through his struggles.

It is a mix of comedy and Triller where there are moments of humor and moments where you see the characters in heated ordeals.

Despite the film is a direct to video or TV style it is a very interesting film and with Patrick Stewart and Kimberly Williams performances they make the movie worth your while.

The plot is a interesting one that you don't see too much where it is original so not bad for made for TV movies.

A fan of Star Trek The Next Generation will enjoy it to see Patrick Stewart in a different light.

Overall if you're a fan of Patrick Stewart and Kimberly Williams you will want to give it a try if you enjoy a movie with a interesting plot then you may enjoy it Safe House.

I give Safe House an 8 out of 10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Patrick Stewart raises maudlin hipster intrigue psychodrama from ordinary.
rixrex22 September 2007
Once Kimberly Williams, now going by mod name Kimberly Williams-Paisley, picks up a set of chopsticks, you know you've gotten yourself into a 90s hipster film, this one being of the intrigue sub-genre of action films. Accordingly it leans more on dramatic effect and less on action.

The downside is that the typical 90s hipster political attitudes and mores tend to get in the way of enjoying the film, with all the government conspiracy around every corner and conservatives as fascists in disguise who would choose donuts before salads, the typically immature and mono-dimensional views of society by 20-something 90s era hipsters.

Fortunately, Patrick Stewart puts in his usual commanding and forceful performance and makes us concentrate on the important issue, that of him being aware that he is losing his memory and trying to deal with it the best he can.

The surprise ending is not a gigantic surprise, but it's fine. The whole thing about Williams' character being a macro-biotic chef ends up seeming just stupid once it's seen in the light of how it all ends. Watch and you will understand.

Since when did using chopsticks become the symbol of liberal enlightenment? What's wrong with the fork, a better utensil anyway? Attention hipsters: The fascist Ghenghis Khan used chopsticks too, when he wasn't using his hands.
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fascinating premise and interesting movie
TRoweTraining8 April 2006
The concept of making the audience wonder whether the hero is really being threatened or is the victim of delusions, has been used several times recently. I enjoyed this take on it better than most and I love Patrick Stewart in any role! I hadn't expected it to be so heart-wrenching at times, but it was. One scene, in which Mace (P.S.)is doing a cognitive test for his doctor, was particularly effective. As a result, this was not only a suspense movie it had some very realistic portrayals of the slow but steady mental decline of Alzheimer's victims--and how tragic that is, as they realize it is happening. I think I appreciated that accurate and informational aspect as much as I did the mystery of Mace's activities with his complex computer set-up. I watched this while walking on my treadmill and usually do a movie in two sessions. This one kept me going through the entire time.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice :)
athena2416 January 2006
This movie doesn't compete for best thriller of the year, or best comedy but offers a good combination of both. The cast is great ( Patrick Stewart is awesome), The story and it's development are very interesting.

This movie begins with a relaxed, easy mood with very funny scenes, and turns toward the end into a serious thriller with a twisted end, which alone makes it worth to watch.

If you happened to notice this movie ( on a TV program or somewhere else ), and you just want to relax and have a good time, this movie certainly will do. You will definitely not regret you saw it.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Good Movie, But. . .
ceswart7 August 2005
This was a reasonably interesting flick, though the ending was not a huge surprise. Also, I felt a little irritated with the film's negative references solely to Republicans, i.e., Iran Contra and Watergate. The evil politician was a Republican as well. It get tiresome to see this persistent Hollywood PC in so many otherwise laudable films. Why not reference Koreagate, Travelgate, Interngate or Chinagate? Talk about old scandals!

Patrick Stewart is a fine actor and Kimberly Williams very accomplished and lovely to behold. The supporting cast was good as well. The script, too, was tight and moved right along.

It's sad that Hollywood is so politically paranoid.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's A Must See
J_schinderlin5610 February 2005
This is without a doubt my favorite movie of ALL TIME! Patrick Stewart's performance is nothing less than captivating. One minute you're laughing you're head off, the next you're sympathizing with him. I won't give it away but the ending is awesome. It's so perfect! A movie that you both can and can't take seriously all at the same time! You can laugh one moment, and think in the next. Hilarious and convincing characters that could only exist in a movie, but keep you on the edge of your seat. And it has a plot that's easy to understand but keeps you guessing. Mr. Stewart is a true actor in every since of the word, and this little known nugget is one of his finest works. IT'S A MUST SEE!
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So how do you eat your Twinkie ?
Tanya_Louise10 August 2004
***** WARNING - SPOILERS *****

They say that everything there is to know about us is held on computers somewhere , and that knowledge is power. It's also the ultimate life insurance.

Patrick Stewart (Star Trek TNG) plays Mace Sowell , a recluse and ex CIA operative , who is convinced someone is out to get him. His hi-tech home is his castle , and his sophisticated computer is his key and protector. Mace plays war games in and around his luxury home in order to keep his whits sharp , which is something his mind and memory are rapidly becoming the opposite of due to altziemers.

It takes a very talented , flexible and dedicated actor to play such a challenging , yet intriguingly absorbing role. This is done to perfection by Patrick Stewart , who ensures that your eyes will rarely leave the screen for fear of missing something. One thing it definitely isn't is a constant action movie , with dozens of SAS dropping through the ceiling at every opportunity. Though we are treated to some enjoyable and unexpected action scenes which gives the movie some zest. And Mace's mental condition is seen from a slightly humorous angle but at the same time without being insensitive , rather than delving into the dry , serious side of it.

If you're looking for a 'fatal attraction' style thriller with an original and unusual twist , then you should enjoy this movie. It's worth it just for the one liner right at the end !
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent thriller
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews26 June 2004
This is a film about paranoia. When you think you're being watched, your every move being documented, your every action recorded and analyzed. Mace Sowell, an ex-military officer from a covert operations team no one knows about, is confined to his home, because he fears for his life. His daughter doesn't think that he is in danger, instead, she just thinks he's getting senile, or maybe he's just paranoid. He regularly runs 'drills' in order to keep himself prepared for any direct strike on his house. Meanwhile, he also discovers that he's slowly developing Alzheimer's Disease, which only makes things worse. The plot is great, the idea is quite original, and the movie moves along at a great pace; every scene has some development in the plot, and often it also has some great humor. The film delivers a great sense of paranoia all the way through. The acting is great, both by Patrick Stewart and Kimberly Williams. The consistent paranoia, the various intense scenes that are easily explained once they're over, the overall mood of the film, it all leads up to an exciting climax that only few will be able to figure out until it happens. All in all, a great thriller about paranoia. I recommend this to fans of thrillers, especially fans that are fond of conspiracy theories and paranoia in thrillers. 8/10
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Poorly Billed and misleading
Acharne12 April 2004
This movie was billed as a thriller and a semi caper film. Though I adore Patrick Stewart the movie had a very very 'Baywatch' feel, silly American production stereotypes and poor direction made it into a movie rather difficult to take seriously. Any scene with Patrick Stewart by himself is well done and believable. The other characters seem to get in the way of the main idea of the movie and blow of proportion the Clandestine sub plot (which was what the main plot was billed as) or the Maguffin if you will. This movie is worth a watch, but it isn't exciting or memorable really. Sloppy production, miscasting, misdirection and a weak story take away from what could have been a terrifying film about the middle aged 'coming of age' into senility and the fear that accompany's that.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Picard can act!
leland691425 December 2003
Alright, one day I was flipping through one of the pay movie channels when I stumbled upon this understated film. It was the first work I had seen of Stewarts outside of ST: TNG and I was curious to see how he could fare in a non space captain role. While it's not as good as the potential it exhumes, I accept that it was a made for TV movie and thus budgeted accordingly. The supporting cast does its job decently (the chick from Father of The Bride and Hector "I'm one good character actor" elizondo are perfect), but Stewart! Man this guy pulls off the paranoid ex-information agent suffering from alzheimers perfectly. The ending is a twist, but the best scene has to be when Mace (stewart) thinks a limo has arrived to assasinate him and he pops a gun out and starts shooting! Only problem is, it really is just a limo, or is it? This film will have you as confused as Stewart plays, and I'd say that's pretty darn good for a flick you've most likely never heard of. It's fun to find low budget films gone straight to TV that are actually good. "Safe House" is one of them. I give this one a solid "B" grade and you should give it chance.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some movies are epics, this one's a short story
downyokp29 November 2003
I will start by admitting that I'm a Star Trek fan, and in particular a Next Gen fan. So yes, I have a bias towards liking Stewart, although I think most can agree he is a skilled actor.

That concession aside, and as my summary suggests, this is not an epic movie, just a short story. I loved the set design, which was quite clever; where most movies tend to create the impression of big houses and locales, this one manages to create the impression of close spaces, as appropriate for a fortress in suburbia.

You will continue to guess at whether or not Stewart's paranoia is justified or just symptoms of Alzheimer's until the very end. Stewart is well fitted for the part, or at the very least he was convincing to me. I think this particular says something since I'm used to seeing him as Captain Picard.

I wouldn't try to sell this off as an accurate portrayal of how DIA operatives act when they retire. I wouldn't know anything about that. I don't even know if there is such a thing as the DIA.

What I will say is that the movie is best taken as a diversion, a fun romp that keeps you interested, but it doesn't grip you like an epic. Perhaps rightly so, since the subject matter doesn't fit an epic movie anyway.

As a final note, I still don't see anything wrong with genre mixing. Why can't you have a drama that's funny, or a comedy with serious action, or whatever it is you want to blend? If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't, and it works for me here. (See as an example "The Big Hit," which the writer called a "hip-hop comic Hong Kong action movie") This movie is a small little tidbit, to be taken and enjoyed as such. 8/10
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hoped for better...Patrick isn't aging well...
chord9717 May 2003
Safe House was a wasted effort though beautifully filmed. I used to anticipate each new ST-TNG with bated breath, but now have concluded that Patrick Stewart is an over-rated, narcissistic actor. A lot of his acting appears quite self conscious and shallow. Safe House should have included the psychiatrist in half of the movie, to have a chance of succeeding. The surprise ending was obvious within the first half hour. Watch the movie and waste a couple of hours.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Empty House
moviemagic034 May 2003
I have admired every role Patrick Stewart has accepted since first seeing him behind the wheel of the Enterprise. Until now. I somewhat find myself at a loss of words over this film. Suspenseful? Mystery? Humor? Well written? I must have seen a different Safe House starring Patrick Stewart than others have seen. I found myself cringing at so many lines of dialog in this film, my neck had a cramp the following morning. Mr. Stewart is a very talented actor so he must have had reasons other than the script to do this film. The failed attempts at pulling in shadows of other films fails miserably. The character development gets left behind somewhere. I felt like I suffered from Alzheimer's as I tried to remember the reasoning behind some of the characters actions in his film. This film seemed to drag on for an eternity. The forced attempt at romance between the Patrick Stewart character (Mace) and that of Kimberly Williams (Andi) was quite possibly the most painful movie watching experience of my life. If I ever suffer from Alzheimer's, I pray that the memory of seeing this film will be one of the first things to go. I enjoyed seeing Patrick Stewart outside of the Enterprise and Xmen roles but I cannot suggest this film to anyone other than as an example to film making students of what not to do in a movie.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good premise, poor execution.
George Parker9 July 2002
"Safe House" shows us a public service retiree (Stewart) with early Alzheimers secluded in a suburban home with a fantastic maze of electronic surveillance equipment, an armory, and a beautiful young caregiver (Williams) to protect him from what he believes to be a plot to get him and what his grown kids believe is simple disease-related paranoia. What could have been a good thriller/suspense/psychodrama is unfortunately brought to the small screen as a comedy cum drama cum farce cum whatever. Although the flick has its moments, they're few and far between and a good premise sinks under the awkward one-man-band execution.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warning: Twinkie scene spoiler ahead!
boris8219 April 2002
How could Safehouse attain an imdb rating of over 7? That's beyond me. I'll tell ya what else is beyond: the plot of this movie. It was simply incomprehensible. Unfunny, trite sitcom antics, espionage and pathos involving Alzheimer's Disease add up to a boring and unintentionally funny movie experience. To call this a B-Movie would be an insult to the alphabet.

Patrick Stewart stars as Mace Sowell. I like Patrick Stewart. He has a natural charisma and he's a Shakespearean actor for god sakes. How could he lower himself to star in this pathetic picture? The awful dialogue and clumsy romantic scenes with Kimberly Williams made me not only cringe but also chuckle uncontrollably. Sample Dialouge between Kimberly Williams (Andi Travers) and Stewart (Mace Sowell) :

ANDI: Mace? That's an unusual name. What does it mean? Mace.

MACE: It's short for IN YOUR FACE!

Huh? What the hell is goin' on? Dont' ask me. Even more pathetic is a dinner scene between them, the one where Mace loudly sucks cream out of a twinkie. Other scenes include Mace showing Andi his sound-detector alarm system by telling her "if you so much as break wind it will go off."

Oh, and I can't forget the awful comedy stylings of Craig Shoemaker. He plays Mace's assistant. He also (pathetically) impersonates several celebrities and doesn't get a measly laugh out of that. And he's a comedian!

All and all, this movie deserves a 3. But I gave it a one because it's present rating is a 7.1.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shows some of the paranoia produced by the Cold War; a look inside.
dlt4915020 January 2002
Unsure whether it may be considered a spoiler review, but I guess this is the proper context: SPOILERS FOLLOW;

The reason I liked it is because I supported operatives not unlike him, it was done well without compromising the USIC, and the "spy" sub-genre is one of my favorite.

Although the actor cannot truly convey the paranoia that is a constant reminder of what he was, he brings across very convincingly for the audience what it was like to be a spy on the inside. He plays the part of a retired Defense Intelligence Agency operative who apparently moved to the DIA from Naval Intelligence. The movie concentrates on his fight of what appears to be the onset of dementia and his disarming family and friends. His only ally, his intelligence - he constantly tries to prove to himself he is not failing using technology extensively in testing his memory. Although it does not compromise the true Intelligence Community, like some other movies of the recent past, it gives an insight into the mind of the average retired spy. BTW - Paranoia was a prerequisite, the author probably should have done research internationally "in the field", but that would be not only difficult, but impossible. A great suggestion for a very small Vietnam to Present look of the CIA, Officer to Field Agent; "Spy Game".
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Patrick Stewart Shines
sddavis6319 July 2001
Every time I see Patrick Stewart I become more and more impressed by this actor's versatility. From Shakespeare to SciFi, from drama to suspense to historical epic, Stewart does it all, and does it very well. With "Safe House," Stewart demonstrates a wide range of talent, including - what I enjoyed most - a flair for subtle comedy, unexpected in a movie billed as a suspense flick.

I have to admit first off that if you're looking for a hair-raising, edge of your seat thriller, look elsewhere. I spent a lot more of my time sitting back chuckling than I did on the edge of my seat - and I mean that positively. This was a very funny movie in many ways, laced with some tense moments. Stewart plays Mace Sowell, a man suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease, who tries to convince his daughter Michelle (played by Joy Kilpatrick) that the life she thought he had lived had been a lie, and that he had really been a military intelligence officer whose life was now in danger because of the things he knew. She, of course, assumes that her father is delusional because of the Alzheimer's, and hires a caregiver (Andi Travers, played by Kimberley Williams in a pretty decent performance) who Sowell distrusts from the start, but finally begins to warm up to. There's the outline of a pretty suspenseful movie there, except for one basic fault: I had this thing figured out within about 10-15 minutes of the opening! It's very predictable. However, I must confess that the decision to have Sowell suffering from Alzheimer's throws a wild card into this, and there were a few times when, with the twists and turns that happen, and with Sowell's obvious confusion, I began to doubt what I had assumed would happen. So it definitely managed to hold my interest. Stewart, in addition to some wonderfully funny scenes, also showed his dramatic flair as he portrays Sowell struggling with his emotions as he confronts the disease beginning to ravage his mind.

Most of the other performances in the movie are solid but unspectacular. I frankly found the character of Stuart (played by Craig Shoemaker) to be nothing less than irritating. Why he had to play almost every scene at least partly impersonating a famous actor was beyond me, and I really just wanted him to go away after a while. Hector Elizondo as Dr. Simon, Sowell's psychiatrist, was underused and offered little.

Basically, though, this is a pretty good movie. I'd rate it as a 7/10.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best Showtime movies
Joshua Bozeman14 January 2001
This is a great film that premeired as a Showtime original picture in 1999, I believe. The plot is awesome, and it will leave you guessing the entire time, it's very entertaining to watch, even tho you are watching a poor man drift further and further into Alzheimer's disease. The setting of the film is in a very lavish, very expensive house in which a very rich man (Patrick Stewart) lives. After being diagnosed with the disease, his daughter decides he needs someone at the house to take care of him and whatever else needs taken care of. He is a proud man, and he's very stubborn in that he doesn't think he needs anyone to live with him. He is grouchy and rude to begin with, but he begins to warm up to the hired help (the bride in the movie 'Father of the Bride'--Kimberly Williams, I think?)...anyhow...it's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I remember he was involved in very top secret stuff during his career, and he is paranoid that someone is out to kill him. You see him thru out the movie practicing with a gun in and outside of his house (he won't leave the yard, he's so paranoid.) There is that element to the film, but there is also a much lighter note on top of everything. It's a comedy, a 'buddy' movie, and an adventure all in one. It is beautifully shot, unlike some of the originals you'll see on Showtime, and it was a nice change from most of the films they have done in the past. Stewart does a superb job, and he keeps you entertained thru the entire film. On the subject of plot changes and surprises...be prepared, it is very good in this way at the end.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Captain Picard almost falls through holes in weak plot
kismit24 September 2000
Stewart is either ex-secret service assassin or Don Quixote tilting with espionage windmill. In the first case he makes no reasonable excuse why he could not convince his family of his true occupation and in the second case the considerable humour potential was totally ignored. The villains are barely visible and the character connections lack interest. The Alzheimers backdrop gives the film what little dramatic punch there is and of course Stewart is a presence. I can't help but feel the screenplay was banged off in a weekend.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boring, boring, boring
freezerguy00630 August 2000
The end is fairly good, but the movie's setup drags on and on forever. By the time anything really happened, I didn't care anymore. If I hadn't rented it I probably would have turned it off before the end. Bottom line: Boring.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tremendously inventive idea, great writing, wonderful acting!
AlabamaWorley19713 May 2000
What a brilliant idea: A former secret agent, who'd lied to his family about his real career, can't make anyone believe that his life is in danger from his old colleagues. Plus he's suffering from Alzheimer's, so is the conspiracy all in his head or for real? You sure want to believe him, but it gets harder as the film goes on. I was amazed and touched by Patrick Stewart's vulnerability as this proud man realizes he can't remember names and faces. Kimberly Williams was impressive, and I enjoyed Craig "Love Master" Shoemaker in the supporting role. Originally aired on Showtime. Go rent it!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The less you pre-know of the plot the more you'll enjoy this film
Grandlk.29 March 2000
My one line summary is a reworking of the tag line "The less you know, the safer you are". Reading the original synopsis on IMDB gives too much away. If you haven't read it - don't. Just RUN to the store and rent this video. Be like me and don't read the synopsis on the box either. Just take my word for it and that of the anonymous author of the very well written comments that precede mine. This is a GREAT movie. It's witty, falling down funny, sad as blazes, suspenseful, and exciting. Stewart and Williams are dynamite together.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this