IMDb > Rough Draft (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rough Draft More at IMDbPro »

Very poor

Author: ctomvelu from usa
17 May 2005

A very bad crime thriller, with no thrills at all, about a down-and-out writer (flakey Gary Busey!) crossing paths with a serial killer (the truly creepy Arnold Vosloo) and becoming involved in the man's killing spree. Michael Madsen is along for the ride as a chain-smoking homicide detective, a role he has essayed dozens of times and can do in his sleep. In fact, I think he was asleep when he made this one. To make matters worse, Madsen and Busey have no scenes together, and likely filmed their scenes at different times. The script is terrible, the acting (except for Vosloo) is flatter than flat, and the movie plays out like a made-for-USA Network teledrama. I haven't seen anything this bad featuring Hollywood talent since the mid-80s. This reminds me of those horrible $3 DVDs one finds in places like Wal-Mart that are what I call Barely Movies (and in fact my kid picked this up at the local video store for $3 on VHS). The only difference here is you have some reasonably respectable names involved. To make matters worse, the ending contains an unnecessary and inexplicable twist that is not worth waiting for. Busey should be ashamed, and Vosloo should look for a new manager. He's too good for this tripe.

The worst movie in 1997

Author: anonymous from Newark NJ
28 December 1998

I thought Batman and Robin was the worst movie in 1997, but this one is even worse. The story is dull. The casting is terrible. The filming is even worse than soap-operas. I want my money back!

Vosloo surprised me.

Author: hans baelemans from Breda, the netherlands
6 September 2002

Well what can i say about a movie with so many cliches. I bought ex-rental video because i collect Michael Madsen films. When i watched it i was very dissapointed with the acting. Especially Gary Busey was so terrible. Michael's performance wasn't too good either. The only actor that did surprise me was Arnold Vosloo(also known from"the mummy"). He plays a very disturbed man who has it in for brunettes. Unfortunately for Vosloo, the storyline is so predictable and boring. In another serialkiller movie who could have been very special. I expect that Arnold Vosloo could appear in similar films, hopefully with a better script.

Get a grip Gary

Author: David S. (strandorama@gmail.com) from Copenhagen, Denmark
13 July 1999

Gary Busey is one of those actors who have some great performances in decent-to-good-films but who also, from time to time, have mediocre performances in c-movies. Rough Draft definitely qualifies for the latter category. The serial killer is omnipotent yet more annoying than scary, and the story twist in the end is one of the worst I've seen in a long time and Wild Things is still fresh in my memory... Do I have to say more?

Nobody here seems to be trying very hard

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
20 September 2010

A washed-up freelance journalist stumbles upon a serial killer in his city. When the killer finds out that a journalist knows about him, instead of killing the journalist, the killer asks to be interviewed. This premise is an interesting one, though not really original (check out the Kurt Russel movie "The Mean Season"). It could have worked again here, but the end results are pretty poor. None of the characters seem to be very interesting, even the serial killer. In fact, all the characters in the movie make some really stupid decisions when common sense would have quickly ended this story. The movie moves at a snail's pace because there's simply not enough story here. Don't get me wrong - I like a lot of low budget B movies, but this one is so poorly made that even I can't forgive its shortcomings.

Very much a daytime TVM

Author: fliks from Auckland New Zealand
21 March 2000

Arnold Vosloo comes accross believable in this movie as a crooning smoothe serial killer who gets off on killing women who he meets in the street by using his charm to walk them into isolated alleys where the deed is done. I'm afraid that Gary Busey is a weak act in this movie reminding me that this is a B grader and not a star studded cast. No mindblowing camera or lighting work as a matter of fact it really belongs on daytime TV. With Michael madsen playing the dodgy cop who smokes and swears a lot ( mmmmmmm thats a new role for him ) NOT. The movie is pretty predictable right through to the end scene when finally there is a small twist. My video case boasts "Independent video release of the year 1998 VSDA Award Winning" ........What??? Yeah right! I reccomend you watch it in the afternoon when you're bored and havent anything better to do like I did. Outta 10 ....about 4 and thats because Vosloo made a good effort when the odds were against him starring in a B grade movie with a B grade cast

Exceedingly awful

Author: Trevor Gensch from Brisbane/Queensland/Australia
4 January 2000

From what was touted on the box as the best independent video release of the year, Diary of a Serial Killer had a lot to do to live up to that promise.

Unfortunately it did not even come close.

It tries very hard not to have the look of a cheap telemovie, but its parentage peeks through and unhappily reminds you exactly how cheap it is.

I can see what the writer and director were trying to do with the Busey character, and his inner torment at having to interview a serial killer. But it just didn't come off that well on screen.

Arnold Vosloo isn't that bad, but is let down by some truly awful dialogue.

A great idea, but poorly executed.

latenight laughfest

Author: Laozi114 from United States
16 January 2006

I don't know why everyone is so harsh towards this movie. I saw this movie really late at night on one of the "premium" channels, and by the end my side hurt from all the laughing. Often time one is reminded of a modern day Ed Wood with this films script and production values. As I don't want to ruin any of the film for you, I would be remissed if I didn't mention how funny the scene where Gary Busey's character is running through the streets. As mentioned by another, the scene is done with a stand in, in a ridiculous wig. The scene was shot totally guerilla style during some sort of nighttime festival on the streets of a very "New Orleanish" city. Basically the standin in the wig runs into various groups of people while Busey's voice is dubbed in yelling things. This was sort a high point for the film when its truth was laid out there for all to see.If you can imagine how funny this scene would be then this film might hold some value to you.

Did they only use the "rough draft" of the script?

Author: gridoon
18 April 2004

A cliched, thoroughly unbelievable plot does this one in; it requires EVERY CHARACTER in it (the "hero", the detectives, even the killer) to be a moron. Busey is miscast, but Madsen manages to be pretty funny (intentionally) even though he is quite visibly bored out of his mind, and Vosloo is downright creepy as the serial killer - he acts as if he's in a good movie. Laughable "twist" ending. (*1/2)

THE WORST FILM EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: (gizz@gizzrecords.karoo.co.uk) from Beverley, East Yorkshire, ENGLAND
12 August 2000

My girlfriend and i decided to rent this film on DVD one night, the cover catching my eye, especially as it namechecks the excellent 'seven'......Imagine then my horror as we watched the most dreadful, poorly acted, cheesy film ever made unfold before our eyes. My girlfriend instantly fell in love with the appalling acting of MR GARY BUSEY, who has now become a cult figure in our homes. The acting in this film really is second to none, BUSEY being the main culprit, for example the moment were the idiot looks lovingly across the street at his girlfriend, with a big cheesy grin on his face, and the way he reacts to a serial killer as if his granny had popped round for tea. There are also blatant errors in the film, like the fake plastic bottle, AND most unforgivingly the moment were Stefan (vosloo) hits Nelson (busey) with a dummies arm, and once he is knocked on the floor Busey is replaced by a stand in, WITH A TERRIBLE BLONDE WIG ON, it is so obviously not busey, why did they need a stand in for him laying on the floor? and also the is a busey stand in running through the crowd moments earlier......other highlights include.........Busey's reaction when he hears stefan on the phone (priceless).......Busey's silly giggle at the end......when busey dresses as a woman to get past the cops, and the realize its him, so they get in the car and drive off in the opposite direction instead of running round the corner to get him.......My girlfriend and i went and bought the film on DVD and now watch it a couple of times a week......dreadful film but its so bad you gotta get it....LONG LIVE GARY BUSEY