Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A female dumb and dumberer

Author: renshaw-daniel from Australia
28 September 2009

Lisa Kudrow (Michele) plays a great dumb chick . Her glazed-over dumb face in scenes where the pair confront the A-group chicks is hilarious. The school social structure portrayed in the movie, albeit presented in a highly clichéd form, will ring true for many viewers. At the top of the social scale are the attractive and self-confident kids who are often arrogant, mean and shallow. In the moral scheme of the movie they are seen to pay the price for these deficits ten years down the track, for example, relationship failure and alcohol abuse. As I'm sure many have experienced, people don't change and it can be pointless attempting to make friends with people who shunned you at school. But it is the wacky scenes in the movie which redeem it: Romy's dream while waiting in the car, invention as a means of creating unlikely wealth (fast-burn cigarettes, Postit notes), and the opening scene where the couple are watching Pretty Women for the 67?th time instead of playing down the beach. In short, some of the acting, wackiness and the grains of truth in the storyline save this movie from being total crap.

Two friends decide to attend their 10-year high school reunion to prove to the popular kids that they have become successful.

Author: ltlacey from United States
7 October 2008

This is probably one of the most under-rated films of all time. The comedic timing of all the actors was right on and the movie, though it was kind of making fun of, for some, real high school experiences, managed to do so without condescending or, IMO, pandering (too much). What we have are 2 young women, 10 years after graduating high school, who seem to really have gone nowhere. But for them, until they learn about the reunion, that's just fine. They somehow manage to survive and are enjoying their lives and are truly happy. Of course they are just 28 so one must keep that point in mind. Still plenty of time to figure out one's life. The story then revolves around them learning about their 10-year high school reunion and they want to go, but Romy, who on the surface seems to be the smarter of the 2, wants to do so but make an impression by showing the "A List" group that they are now successful. Each of us has been in one of those groups, though called something different depending on your generation, but the premise is the same whether one attended high school in the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s (even the 90s). There are always those kids who are the most popular and some of them are some of the biggest bullies on campus, making life for everyone else miserable. The geeks and nerds (who usually are the ones who head off to get graduate degrees and thus making some decent money and become very successful). The artsy group. The loners and others that just do not fit into any group, thus make their own groups, such as what Romy and Michelle did. So the 2 end up going to the reunion, and have come up with a story about how they have become successful, though in the process end up having a huge fight about it. Probably because in their hearts they know this is wrong, and after they have been exposed they realize that being a fake gets you nowhere, and as they learn, the worse thing that can ever happen is to lose one's best friend. Everyone should just be who they are, and this includes those snotty "I think I am better than everyone else group". Thankfully, most of those people grow up and realize they were awful. Of course, this is Hollywood and we must have a happy ending with the villains getting their due, which happens of course, and in a quite clever way I might add, and we end the movie with our 2 ditsy blondes actually becoming successful. The moral of the story could be, What goes around comes around. Check it out for an afternoon of easy entertainment.

Great movie

Author: bandkphillips from Australia
5 November 2006

I really enjoyed the movie. I really liked the characters portrayed by Romy and Michelle. It is really quite typical of me and my friends and I thought it was very funny. I am just wondering if you could provide me with assistance. I am trying to find the name of the 'old friend' who comes to the reunion. The character she portrays is really very successful. She is the main catalyst for getting all the old friends to validate Romy and Michelle and their 'success' so far in life. She has a short bob haircut and dresses very smartly. It has been a few months since I watched it so cannot provide you with her character's name. Thanks. Any photos of her would be appreciated.

loved it

Author: LiLTORTYA from United States
30 September 2006

I adore this movie so much. I just decided to slip it on and there I go laughing at just about every line and scene. The characters are hilarious, the movie was well casted. Janeane Garofalo's lines alone are things that I say now. Toby Walters reminds me of so many people from high school and I just wish I was as sarcastic then as I am now. Romy and Michelle are silly, adorable, funny, and make me think of a friend and I whenever we get together. The dressing up for the gym scenes and the scenes with rrr-Ramon is killer. From trends and life during and after high school, no matter your graduating class, this movie will make you laugh.

A Proper good, watch that you will watch over and over again

Author: loopy_lucy14 from United States
24 September 2006

Romy and Michele have moved on a lot since High School. At High School they always felt they were quite popular and always had a laugh, but when they get an invite to go to their high school reunion, and they look through there Year Book, they realize that they weren't as cool as they think, and that the lives they have know aren't as brilliant as they thought they were, so before they go back to their reunion they come up with a story, to make up to make their lives sound more successful than they really, are but in the process they have and massive argument and decided to g their own separate ways, when they get to the reunion, but will they be able to pull off their big lie, and will they ever be friends again ? This is a great quirky movie! This film is great for teenagers especially girls, as they will enjoy the banter between all of the characters but also understand what Romy and Michele are going through and also understand how popular people are really just mean people and how horrible they can be. This film is also great because of the moral it has in it, and that is " It doesn't matter if you are a nerd in high school, because in the end you are going to come out on top" and that is what this movie represents. This film is also a feel good film and will make you just feel happy inside whilst you watch it. The actor in this movie is superb, because they really make the characters come alive and make them seem like real people, even though all the characters area little bizarre and eccentric.This is a great film and you can never get bored off this movie and it is one you watch time after time. All in all this is just a great Chick Flick and Feel Good movie and the soundtrack is just brilliant, especially if you love all that 80's Music.

what a laugh!

Author: tonyvasiliou from United Kingdom
11 September 2006

I found the last comment useful, only i disagree with the 80's soundtrack 'blood and roses'being the best, it has to be 'Heaven is a place on earth at the end! This film may not be the best comedy, but its still a movie you have to watch. The friends star Lisa plays her character very well as we can identify her with Phoebe. I have to say both the character's Romy and Michelle are hilarious as they travel back to their high old school to find out whats going on with their school enemies. My favourite quote is from Michelle; 'Well at least we never got fat' My favourite part is towards the end of the film, the moment where Romy finally sees that billy is not worth it and gets her own back on him. I love the part where her and Michelle take off in a helicopter, with Belinda Carlisle's 'Heaven is a place on earth' playing in the background. Its a bit cheesy, but great!

I love Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow ! "Inspired casting ! "

Author: Peter White (peterwhite311@yahoo.com) from United States
9 February 2006

Without rehashing the plot line over again, I will just say that I NEVER SEEM TO GET TIRED OF WATCHING THIS ON TV RERUNS, especially on IFC or BRAVO (lately).

Mira Sorvino is GORGEOUS (obviously the "Mary", and "so-not the Rhoda !"). Lisa Kudrow is as funny as ever -- perfect casting.

A wonderfully silly little film with an important message - "Success comes from within, and who cares about the past "SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE" in our collective lives !" A local DISH "encapsulation" of this movie had the NERVE to call their characters "two pinheads who go to their high school reunion". While funny to read at first glance, it later made me ANGRY to refer to such obviously-humorous characters as "pinheads" -- I would use another word, such as "blondes" ! That's all. A great movie to watch every six months or so.

It takes smart people to play it dumb,at least in THIS film

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
17 June 2005

Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino,both beautiful,college-educated and funny, are pretty much spot on in their portrayal of two dense,late-twenties-something Arizona girls who decide to go to their ten year high school reunion,armed with fake lives and no clue of how to pull it off.

The quick-cutting and fast pacing of the film,both traits that director David Mirkin took with him from such work as TV's "Get a Life"(that show was a CLASSIC,IMHO),works for this film for the most part,though one would almost feel like it ultimately turns into something that can be regarded as STRICTLY fluff. Alan Cumming's addition as a once dweeby guy who fancied Michele,who's now a clothing store mogul seems unnecessary,but I can't really complain,since it gives the movie its 'Happily Ever After" ending.

I would've given this film a higher rating,but it felt like pretty much everything outside of Sorvino's Romy and Kudrow's Michele seems to be mostly trim,with such pros as Cumming,Janeane Garofolo(as a disaffected outcast) and Julia Campbell(As the head bitch and ostensible heavy)supplying token counterbalance to Kudrow and Sorvino's stupidity. Still,this film is pleasantly enjoyable and hilarious,an easy watch,especially for anyone who dreads going to their 10-year reunion.

shoulda got Sissy Spacek up in there

Author: dissidenz from United States
14 May 2005

In high school I was somewhere between the sardonic Janeane Garofalo and Justin Theroux's mysterious cowboy (no hat though). How happy I was when they hooked up at the end. Anyway, there are other reasons to like this easy breezy movie. If all the cast members of "Friends" were disintegrated to dust except Phoebe in the pilot episode, I would've watched it religiously. Lisa Kudrow is hilarious. The movie has many funny moments, but plenty of crappy ones too. The script is so repetitive, which would have been okay if it were more clever. Garofalo, Cumming and Mannheim offer great support, but could've been better utilized (ie. more screen time). What to say about Ms. Sorvino... seems she spent more time perfecting her Tucson accent than anything else. The best thing about her performance was that it made Kudrow even funnier. Kudos to Kudrow!! Guffaws for Garofalo!! I'm finished.

Held up by leads...

Author: boomcar61 from United States
5 March 2005

Romy White(Mira Sorvino)and Michele Whineburger(Lisa Kudrow)are both single and beautiful, but are basically unemployed and unsuccessful late-twenty-somethings, who have talent in their designing skills but are too "blond" to act on it. That is until Romy runs into a former high-school classmate of theirs, Heather(Garofolo), who mentions the upcoming ten-year high-school reunion in Tucson, Arizona. Excited about the possibility of showing up their snotty peers who tormented them in high-school, Romy and Michele borrow a fancy car and head for their class reunion. On the way they hatch an elaborate success story....they are going to tell everyone that they invented post-it notes. Sounds easy enough. Nobody really knows who invented post-it notes, right? Wrong. Janeane Garofolo's character eventually shows up in the middle of this conversation and spoils their plan, embarrassing them in front of the A-crowd, which they were trying to impress. But that's not the end of it. A former A-crowd member(who was smart enough to disassociate herself)has become a successful fashion editor for Vogue magazine and is quite impressed with Romy's and Michele's self-made outfits. In the end they become the "successful" women that they wanted to be, and all from an area of expertise which was right at their fingertips.

The main thing that holds this movie up is the two fabulous leads, Sorvino and Kudrow, whom I believe to be great in all of their roles. They really make their characters believable, albeit they are only playing "dumb blonds". Still, if you like nothing else about 'Romy and Michele's High-School Reunion'(it's only medium-funny), then you'll at least enjoy the subdued work of Kudrow and the cuteness of Sorvino and her accent. Unless you don't like chick movies, then, really, it's worth a viewing. But it's probably an acquired taste... If you don't like Mira Sorvino or Lisa Kudrow then I would recommend avoiding this title.

6/10 is my vote.