Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Page 13 of 18: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A nice, fun movie

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 January 2012

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion mayn't be the best movie I have ever seen, but sitting down to watch it I wasn't expecting that. Just a fun charming movie and that is exactly what I got, a perfect way to get my mind off my sprained ankle. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is not a complete masterpiece, the film does have an engaging story but is occasionally too plot heavy, and I would also have loved to seen the girls be themselves more. Criticisms aside, it looks good, with colourful locations and fashions, and the soundtrack is the very definition of cool, not to mention nostalgic. The script is funny and smart, the two main characters especially engage and the direction is efficient. I loved the performances. Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow are just great and have such an easy-going chemistry. Of the support cast, I was most impressed with Camryn Manheim who steals all her scenes. Alan Cumming is also endearing with great comic timing, and Janeanne Garofalo relishes her role if over-doing it just a tad at times. Overall, a nice, fun movie that never tries to be anything more than it is. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Mira Sorvino!

Author: Ana_Banana from Romania
22 December 2011

There's something about this movie... Of course, beyond the hilarious lines and situations and the charm of Romy and Michele. Maybe the fact that they were the most human characters in the film, even though you'd label them Blonde and Blonder? Or that they didn't lose their hope, optimism and friendship almost at all? Mira and Lisa are perfect in their parts, one could never imagine anyone else instead. A special note for Mira's deliveries: her voice and facial expressions are a treat! 'If you can make us the clothes, I can get us the car!' Or: 'Clear up, boys. I have a word with Ramon.' Or: 'Is that an earthquake? No, it's Rrrramon!' Or: 'You wanted it to be believable!' (that whole scene is hysterical) And so on... Like... Yeah! Let's fold scarves! OK!

Fun Fun Fun!!

Author: stoneyburke from United States
13 September 2008

I rated this an 8 out of 10...Seriously! I'm a movie snob but once in a while some light stuff comes along and makes me smile. These two stars, taller than tall, play off one another perfectly. The story is silly and the whole cast is seeming to have fun, making this a time worthy romp. Their chemistry, ALL OF THE CAST, works.

The information of the story may be read under the other reviewers' reviews. I am only commenting how I felt about the film. Bottom line...I feel/felt great about it!

LisaKudrow, Miro Sorvino, etal, have turned a sort of ridiculous story into less than two hours of FUN!

Fun and hilarious flick

Author: Narcissa from Katy, Texas
1 February 2006

I love Romy and Michele's High School Reunion! It's so hilarious. Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow both do great jobs as Romy and Michele. I love how this movie partially takes place in the 80's! Plus the 80's music adds a great soundtrack! The clothes that Romy and Michele wear are so far out, I wish I could wear them! Heather Moony, Janeane Garofalo's character, is so funny too with her smoking/cursing habits. My favorite scene would have to be when Romy and Michele both come back and tell off Christie Masters at the reunion. So, the truth is that it doesn't matter if you're a dork or weren't liked in high school, because all those people that gave you trouble, probably have it off worse than you. This is a MUST SEE movie!

Good Lessons

Author: harrytrue from Canada
9 October 2005

"Romy and Michele" has some good lessons for people.

Taking a look at Romy and Micheles' lives before they hear about the reunion, you may not feel it is for you, but these girls are not living in poverty. They are living together with someone they care about (not in a sexual manner-yet), and have a fun life. They may not be able to afford trips to Hawaii, or even Las Vegas, but they are content with what they have.

Then they get the reunion notice, and it gets into Romys' mind that they haven't amounted to anything. So she gets all upset about that. Ambition is a good thing, but Romy's just upset about what others think about them. There is a saying attributed to Oscar Wilde that people would be happy to find out how little others really think about them. Romy never read that. So she and Michele dream up their little lies, but they get caught.

Then Michele, who has been more a passive character, tells Romy to grow up, and be happy for what they have. She isn't all that bright, but she knows being content can make a person happier.

A Buddy Comedy for Girls

Author: dirtybeatles from United States
28 August 2005

Screw Legally Blonde or clueless, this is the only stupid-girl comedy you need! Romy and Michele were losers and high school, and not much has changed in the ten years since. They live in a trashyment, with no jobs, no boyfriends, and no sense of fashion.

The ten year reunion is coming up, and Romy is ashamed of their life. She forces Michele to join her in a maniacal plan to lose weight and find boyfriends and great jobs. However with the reunion looming, she decides that with no prospects, they'll have to improvise. Armed with business suits, cell phones, and a cock-a-mamy story about inventing post-its, they take the reunion by storm. But as all movie lies are, they are exposed, and learn that the most important thing is that they are true to themselves.

This is an adorable movie about two clueless best friends. It's great alone or with your best gal pal, and is just enjoyable and outlandish from start to finish. However, between all the crazy costumes, lies, and hilarious characters of the people you knew in high school, there is a great message that will make you smile.

A comedy of manners.

Author: Cipher-J from USA
15 January 2004

Two girls in their 20s, one a sales clerk and the other unemployed, want to attend their high school reunion, but they are as much the losers now as they were in high school, and don't want anyone back home to know it. Of course, "back home" is far enough away that they can represent themselves however they want, so they decide to pretend to a much higher level of success than they were capable of achieving, and that makes for some amusing situations. There is no "message" to this film, but the girls are appealing in their need to gain acceptance, and their characters do develop more substance as the story unfolds.

Terrible!

Author: Bryan (BSchin2188@aol.com) from Colorado
20 June 2003

Want to see a better movie then this one? Go to the imdb homepage, and search for titles beginning with "The". You'll have a pretty good list to start with.

Why do I hate this movie? If it's supposed to be a comedy, it wasn't funny. If it's supposed to be dramatic, the acting sucked. Not sure what other categories this would fall under, except maybe "Worst Film of 1997", for which it certainly wins the title.

What's the big fuss about?

Author: Snoopy1 from Watertown, MA
5 January 2003

I had been meaning to see this movie for years. People were always talking about how funny it was, blah blah blah. So finally, I watched it the other night. For a comedy, it didn't make me laugh very much. Janeane Garafalo was the only character that had any pizzaz...Lisa Kudrow's character was Phoebe all over again, and I could just watch "Friends" for that...and Mira Sorvino's character was just boring and her voice grated against my nerves. The plot was really thin...it didn't quite flow well. At least it had "Turning Japanese" and "Karma Chameleon" in the soundtrack.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen

Author: Brigid83 from Illinois
7 September 2002

I absolutely love this movie. Lisa and Mira have amazing comic timing, and they have good chemistry. They seem very comfortable together. Janeane Garofalo is at her best here. She really shines as Heather Mooney. If you've written this movie off as "stupid," then you obviously have not seen it. There is a lot of intelligence in the script, despite the ditziness of the title characters. I'm picky about comedies, but I stand firmly behind this one. It's hilarious.