IMDb > RocketMan (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
RocketMan

RocketMan More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Contains the funniest first 50 minutes I've yet seen in a movie…

Author: Peter Andres from Petersburg, Vasaria
8 June 2005

Although ROCKETMAN was panned by many stuffy and overserious critics upon its release in 1997—for example, Leonard Maltin gave it a BOMB evaluation and labeled it as an "utterly predictable 'comedy'"—it's a perfect film to watch if you need a few good laughs, especially if you appreciate quirky humor. Roger Ebert enjoyed the film, giving it a 3 star evaluation and labeling it as "APOLLO 13's evil twin." The first 50 minutes of the film contain many pricelessly funny scenes that you probably won't see again in other comedies. However, the film almost immediately runs out of steam when it reaches its middle despite some gags that work occasionally.

Canadian comedian Harland Williams delivers a memorable performance as Fred Z. Randall, a highly eccentric computer nerd who finds himself chosen on the first manned Mars mission after causing an amusing accident on a visiting NASA astronaut in his office. He drives his serious fellow astronauts and faculty members nearly insane with his slapstick antics and clumsy behavior once he arrives at NASA, always claiming after an accident, "It wasn't me!" Among my favorite gags in these scenes include Fred's chance meeting with a troublesome chimpanzee named Ulysses, Fred's experiences in an isolation chamber and on a centrifuge, and his behavior at a NASA press convention. And there are plenty of inspired gags once Fred and his fellow crew members enter the vast depths of outer space, some which even break the laws of physics. Special mention should go to the other actors in the film, all of which give competent performances: William Sadler as Fred's cranky superior astronaut, Jeffrey DuMunn as the serious Lead Flight Director of NASA, and Beau Bridges as a compassionate Mission Control member.

However, once the film reaches its first 50 minutes, it's as though the imaginative writers ran out of good gags and therefore the film falls limp despite some sparks of good gags until the end. This problem plagues most comedies—including my personal favorite comedy, PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE (1985)—and it's too bad that Disney didn't produce this as a short film instead. Yet I can't deny Williams' impressive talents for improvisation, mimicry, slapstick, and bizarre facial expressions that make the film well worth watching.

Although kids may enjoy the slapstick antics and adults may enjoy the clever lines, the film is best enjoyed if you appreciate silly, quirky visual humor that is reminiscent of Looney Tunes cartoons, skits performed by Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson), and/or Charlie Chaplin comedies. For those with humor of a different sense—including those who indulge in continuous verbal humor or continuous sophomoric humor—I suggest that you look elsewhere.

Funny, funny, funny, funny, etc..

Author: Movie-20
30 October 1998

Bottom line,"I laughed my butt off on this BLAST OFF of a hit.

Makes you laugh: at how brazenly air-headed it is

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
25 July 2010

Slapstick run amok is about the closest that human speech can come to describing this movie. As it careens in random directions, you scratch your head trying to figure out what's going on, and wondering if you missed something. It's worth a laugh, at least on the level of laughing at how amateurish and childish it is.

The Pee Wee Herman look-alike act-alike screaming with that exaggerated shrill voice at cover-the-ears intensity reaches the pain threshold at times. His acting is fine, but the director has him going over the top way too often. At anything. Every scene.

Here's the deal: a bumbling but gifted computer geek gets tapped to be on the first manned landing on Mars. Don't ask. With two other people and a chimp (no, really). The chimp mugs, and so does quasi-Pee-Wee. When he's not screeching that is. Pee Wee from the Mars lander gets the whole world to sing campfire songs: I'm surprised somebody didn't just shoot him down. More goofy stuff happens on the voyage, each joke dumber than the last.

The likable cast makes the most of the low-brow material. This one's only popcorn filler stuff, though.

the most funny film

Author: Joe Day (JDizZle93) from andover, england
17 July 2006

This is definitely one of the most funny films i have ever seen in my life . This film is a about a man/boy called Fred Randle.He absolutely loves rockets. One day he is asked to go on a mission to mars... I am not going to tell you any more or i will spoil it for you.Any way this is a must have film. I forgot to tell you that his friend the monkey is just amazing he is just so cool.He is also a very good animal actor. This film is so amazing i just cant express how good this film actually is.

(p.s you have to watch this film it is just so so so funny and its also very very cool)

A wonderfully comedic movie

Author: lmmsj from Arkansas
13 July 2006

Considering a lot of the garbage that is out there for children, Rocketman is a fairly family friendly oriented movie. Apart from the flatulence gags, there really is no language, violence or undertones of sex involved. Fred Randall is a lovingly delightful clown who will keep you non stop laughing especially with his favorite line..."It wasn't me!".

I think that the actor to who plays Fred is wonderfully suited to the part and the rest of the cast is pretty good too, especially "Gordo" Fred's competition for the trip to mars. Unfortunately for Gordo, he ends up in stitches and bruises while competing with Fred for the spot on the mission. I also loved the interaction between the chimp, Ulysses and Fred. They are like Laurel and Hardy at times.

ALl in all a fantastic Friday night DVD with popcorn for the family.

A very funny film. it works on most level

Author: otisfirefly2001 from texas
24 August 2004

I feel that this movie can work on every level. Being 18 myself, i can still enjoy the simple pleasures of comedies which do not rely on crud humor or language to work. I do enjoy the rude, crud, and dirty comedies. But it is good to have something different to latch onto.

we have so many movies today like, Not Another Teen Move(i think this is the dumbest films i have ever seen), Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2. There are countless others which seem to want to play to the adult in teens.

I enjoy a film which does not take itself too seriously. Rocket Man is that film.

Harland Williams plays to the kid in everyone. Creating a character who is both stupid, funny, and lovable at the same time. I enjoyed seeing him as he was drunk, swinging from the Bar roof on an astronaut's uniform.

Who could not the enjoy the fact that he was trapped outside of Hyper-sleep on the way to Mars. We get to see all of his attempts to keep busy while alone on a Space Shuttle for countless months. Though his attempts are tame at first, they quickly digress into strange and odd behavior. But still at the same time this behavior is utterly hilarious.

Though some people view this film as stupid, lame, corny, juvenile. I think they choose to not enjoy a film like this. That is just too bad, though i am a legal adult and still enjoy films like this with my girlfriend.

i am not going to force anyone to see this film. Just realize that it tries to play, not just to the kids, but to the kid in everyone. this is the only level at which this film can be enjoyed.

Too Funny!!!!

Author: weez1959 from Canada
4 April 2001

Of course everything about this movie is STUPID, but it's very entertaining, hilarious, goofy, cute bla bla bla!!! I love it!! There is no way this guy could ever become an astronaut but who know maybe there are a couple of Nasa's best that are secretly Fred Randall wanna be's!!

Funny and underrated, while still very stupid

Author: pieman from Tacoma, WA
13 May 1999

This is a silly, waste of a time of a movie. But who cares? It's very entertaining. Harlan Williams is just really, really funny as the Rocket Man. It reminds me of an old Don Knotts movie (you'll have to look up his filmography to find the title of that one) with a similar astronaut plot. I saw the movie when it first came out on video, and I still go around saying, "It wasn't me!"

What's the matter with you people !!!

Author: robertr12 from USA
9 June 2004

Rocket Man is the funniest freaking movie ever! I can't believe it's getting such a low overall score, anybody who rates it less then an 8 is in serious danger of not having a sense of humor. I have watched this movie at least a dozen times and I laugh my head off every single time, all I can say is the director of this movie is a comedy genius and of course Harland Williams does an incredible job as Fred Z. Randall the goofy and clumsy spacecraft designer who gets the chance to go to Mars and fulfill his dream. His goofiness and clumsiness are of course what make the movie so funny, it's not so much that it makes you think it's ridiculous, on the contrary it's just enough to make you laugh at everything he does, I believe that what makes the movie so good is that above his craziness he comes across as a lovable character, kind of like a puppy you can't spank for peeing on the carpet.

"I've Got the Whole World in My Hands"

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
26 July 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Meet Fred Z. Randall. All his life, he wondered what it would be like to be an astronaut going into space. Little did he know that his dream would soon come true. For NASA was doing a Mars mission and the software for the simulator wasn't going right so they seeked out the man who wrote it--Randall. He claimed a glitch could not be possible because he programmed it himself. It turned out he was right. It was the fault of computer specialist, Gordon A. Peacock. NASA exec, Paul Wick, decided to screen Randall for the third person for the Mars mission. Other people on the team consisted of Commander William Overbeck and Julie Ford, whom Randall had a crush on. Randall aced all his tests and made his opponent, Gary Hackman, look very bad. Finally, Fred Randall was chosen to go to Mars!

Coming along was his primate pal, Ulysses. The flight to Mars was not uneventful. When making dinner, he switched the food paste with pharmaceutical pastes. He also got sucked into the space toilet, making himself look like a Smurf, he sung "The Whole World in my Hands" to the President of the United States of America as well as the whole world, and stayed awake during an 8 month hypersleep. But finally, they landed on Mars. During their stay, Overbeck became annoyed with Randall. But the worst was yet to come. Randall noticed heavy storms brewing on Mars. Nobody believed him, but luckily he was able to save Overbeck and Ulysses and get his crew safely home. A very interesting motion picture. Harland Williams is funny. Jessica Lundy is Julie Ford. The only other film I've seen her in is The Stupids, so it was hard to accept her as a smart person in this movie. William Sadler (Overbeck) and Jeffrey DeMunn (Paul Wick) were in another movie together: The Green Mile, also a good movie!

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]