IMDb > RocketMan (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Excellent Comedy

Author: scarab_x
22 September 2000

One of my favorite movies, this is a hilarious movie. Harland Williams absolutely kills me. I saw this movie quite by accident, and I'm glad I did, because few movies have I watched more than this one. The repeat value alone of this flick is worth a small fortune. Hopefully Disney will release it in DVD soon.

Author: Scully67 from Simi Valley, CA
21 August 1999

I thought this movie was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. I just love how Harland Williams acts in this movie. I think if you want to laugh your butt off you should rent this movie. So go have a great time and rent this movie.

Don't take this film too seriously

Author: lisalisajones from Oregon
21 May 2004

I too thought this movie was hilarious! I saw it in the theater to appease my husband and it really took me by surprise. I laughed so hard I almost, well, you know... It's zany comedy is several notches above Jerry Lewis (who drives me nuts).

My favorites are the opening scene where young Fred is twirling in the dryer (we've all thought of it!) and the "Isolation Chamber" aka nuclear reactor: Fred plays with his socks and beats the pants off the competing astronaut. I have to contend that this is not only for children. Actually, adults will probably enjoy it more.

The other reviews missed mentioning the obvious references to "The Right Stuff." All of the training sequences in Rocket Man were taken from this non-fiction astronaut movie. It's obvious that the creators of this film wanted to make a funny and light space movie.

Absolutely the funniest EVER!!!

Author: Brad (bcocheran) from United States
18 February 2003

This is the funnies movie I have ever seen. From the start to the end, laugther abounds. This is not a serious movie by any sense, it is a comic relief. I am a "once I've seen it, I don't need to see it again" movie viewer, however, I have watched this movie at least a dozen times. The 2nd and 3rd times were the funniest. The first time, you laugh so much, you miss many other comical lines and scenes. Again, this is not a movie to move you or to watch expecting anything serious, but it is a great comdey!!

Harland Williams has his moments

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 April 2016

Fred Z. Randall (Harland Williams) is a wacky annoying computer geek who has programmed the spaceship to Mars. The flight crew comes to complain about a flaw but crew member Gary Hackman is shown to be incompetent and he's injured in the process. As a last resort, mission director Paul Wick suggests replacing Hackman with Randall. 'Wild Bill' Overbeck is the crew leader. Mission specialist Julie Ford disapproves. Randall starts training at NASA with a chimp. Bud Nesbitt is nominally blamed for Apollo 13.

The premise is stupid. Harland borders between annoying and somewhat likable. Most of the jokes don't work. It could be a lot worst. Harland has his moments. Most importantly, he's not mean-spirited. He does a lot of slapstick. The problem is that he can't help himself. I think he needs a partner to give him balance and go to the next level. Comedy is subjective and this would probably work better for some people.

Lose This Film in Space.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
15 December 2015

Rocket Man (1997): Dir: Stuart Gillard / Cast: Harland Williams, Jessica Lundy, Beau Bridges, William Sadler, Jeffrey DeMunn: Pitiful piece of nothing that seems to test the limits of low quality filmmaking. It regards reaching your dreams as Harland Williams receives opportunity to launch into space. It is really that simple. We know that Williams will make a big name for himself in space while families sucker out the bucks so that their children can witness the crap. Stuart Gillard's directing is awful and I have seen better art out of lego than the production values featured here. Williams gets to act like a mindless idiot throughout the entire film. We have seen his situation in countless films where the little guy must prove himself. Well, he fails to prove anything other than he has too much time on his hands. Jessica Lundy is featured as the love interest who must be proud to be caught on camera with a moron astronaut. Also featured much to their regret are Beau Bridges and William Sadler, and one wonders if they will regret it later or laugh it off as a bad joke. Either way it is a big bad rocket blast fart that will stench up their resumes until something decent comes up to distract from it. Somebody should flush thus idiotic excuse for a family film down a toilet. Advertisements claim that "He's just taking up space." A garbage bin has lots of room for trash like Rocket Man. Score: 1 / 10

17 Years later, I still didn't find this movie enjoyable.

Author: tyburney from United States
6 September 2015

I first saw this movie on Pay Per View at my Grand Parents house when I was 7 or 8. Then not surprisingly I forgot all about it. I recently was feeling nostalgic and spotted the trailer for it when I was looking at another stupid movie, named Ironically "The Stupids." So I saw the trailer for this film and it sparked some old(repressed) memories. So I said to myself, "Eh what the hell, I may as well give it a look". And to be honest, I see why my young mind repressed the memory of ever watching this this...(Insert Insult here). This movie reopened some old wounds of annoyance and irritation that I thought I had long since recovered from. Surely this movie has the potential, if not the capability of destroying the developing brain cells of any child that was forced to watch this movie more than a couple of times.(And this is a proclamation coming from someone who grew up watching mind wrecking shows like Ren and Stimpy, and Beavis and Butt-Head). The only solace I had after re-watching this garbage after 17 years, is that I know that the main character(I forget his name and thank God for that) dies on the return trip home. Because he doesn't have nearly enough food to last the eight month trip back to earth, since he idiotically used it all as paint. (Sigh)....Thank you Jesus, my old wounds have re-healed, Now I can rest easy tonight. If you really like this movie, then more power to you. But it wasn't good to me then, and it sure as hells bells Isn't good to me now. Take care, everybody.

FUNNIER than "Dumb and Dumber", "Ace Ventura", "Airplane!", "Dr. Strangelove", or "Spaceballs"!

Author: eragonbookfan from Japan
13 October 2014

...OR even "Manhattan", "Wolf of Wall Street" ,"The Sandlot," "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?","The Cable Guy", "Me, Myself, & Irene", "Christmas Vacation", "A Christmas Story", "Wayne's World," "The Big Lebowski", "Gremlins", or "American Pie".

I just wish all the hype towards these overrated & nonsensical comedic films could be re-directed at this movie!!! I may have laughed more at this than any other film in history! In my view, Harland Williams is funnier & HECK of a lot more talented with improvisation & funny faces than Jim Carrey - actually may be the funniest comedic actor out there! Jim Carrey's overrated, Williams is underrated. And one big advantage Williams has over Carrey is that he can actually PLAY characters; Jim Carrey is always just Jim Carrey.

I feel PRIVILEGED to have grown-up with this flick (which was shown to me by some friends), because it's got great laughs, funny humor, *appropriate* humor, great slapstick, and it's a film that the whole family can all-round enjoy!

So many funny & re-quotable lines! Each just makes me smile. x) "Sweet swirling onion rings!" "Sweet Alaskan Asparagus tips!" "'Fun' is my Chinese neighbor's middle name." "Hurry, Commander! Call me mommy now!"

And I love Jessica Lundy's character - better than "The Stupids"; she's quite smart, pretty, & quite likable all the same time, too. Glad she got to do the "When You Wish Upon A Star" song dance with Harland at the end.

Plus, it even has big name actors William Sadler and Jeffery DeMunn in it!! (Guess the director was a big "Shawshank Redemption" fan. lulz)

Comedian Harland Williams plays a computer rocket genius named Fred Z. Randall, and one day his luck changes when he's offered the position of a third astronaut on a Space Shuttle Mission to Mars! IMO, that's a HECK of a lot more interesting than any of the overrated dumb 'comedy' films.

When on Mars, the comedy doesn't stop there!

In the end, this film doesn't treat you like an idiot, our main protagonist actually "matures" (unlike other dumb character), it had humor that WORKED, this film has EFFORT, and really convincing landscape for Mars.

PS: This film ought to switch its "5.9" rating around with Dr. Strangelove's "8.5", or with "Dumb & Dumber"'s "7.3" - I'm serious, it's THAT good!

Hey, it's frickin' Disney!

Even Siskel and Ebert liked this film. Check it out!

Love this slapstick ridiculousness

Author: bkbirge from United States
16 August 2013

Awesome movie. It's a Disney movie so it's got all the rough edges smoothed down, the level of 'offensive' has been completely focus group polished out of it. The closest we get is one of the movies flattest jokes about flatulence in space.

Despite this, it has aged very well and remains one of the absolute best quotable funny movies ever made.

This is chiefly due to the charisma of the lead character, a Poindexter computer scientist cum everyman who somehow manages to not only become an astronaut candidate but also ends up on a flight mission to Mars.

Parts of this were filmed at Johnson Space Center and for the time is reasonably realistic to the look and work. I've got a friend who was an uncredited extra in this and according to him they used a lot of NASA engineers as extras too.

If you like slapstick and absurd comedy it is hard to do better than this, and the bonus is you can watch it with your kids.

Highly recommended for fans of off kilter absurdness. There are some low points, such as the pointless (yet still funny) shoehorned romance, and the complete waste of Beau Bridges and William Sadler who both play it straight.

This is not an ensemble movie, it is nearly completely driven by the comedy timing and dialog of Harland Williams.

This movie desperately needs the full BluRay treatment with commentary from all the principles.

Sweet swirling onion rings....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
30 June 2013

Fred Z. Randall is a geeky spacecraft designer, who gets the chance to make his dream come true.

Travel to Mars as a member of the first manned flight there....

Liking this film really depends on whether or not you like the main star, Harland Williams. Here in the UK, he's only really famous for his scene in Dumb and Dumber, and everything else he's done non-Farrelly, has gone straight to DVD and disappeared without a trace.

What appealed to me about this movie, and you will know where I am coming from if you've read my other reviews, is that its one of those films from the late nineties that were rife and were released almost every other week.

Comedies that shouldn't be good, but for some reason, you seem to have some endearment for them.

Carpool, Gone Fishin', Most Wanted, the list is endless, and the films are as watchable as ever.

It's a straight forward movie, silly geek gets a job that is over his head, every one hates him and takes liberties to begin with, but come the end, he's the hero and he falls in love.

It's straight forward silly stuff, with a few laughs that you can switch your brain off to for ninety or so minutes.

If you haven't seen it and like this sort of movies, catch it, its quite funny

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]