IMDb > RocketMan (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

SUPERBLY FUNNY

Author: Malcolm K (kennez) from Redcar, England
30 May 2000

This is the best slapstick comedy made since Stan and Ollie stopped making films. It is hilarious. Harland Williams is the star, and the source of most, if not all, the humor. The comedy really starts during training, and then continues for the duration of the film. I give it 5 stars just for comedy alone!

Failure Clearly Is An Option For This Embarrassingly Juvenile And Seriously Inept Piece Of Space Junk

Author: jaredpahl from United States
19 February 2017

RocketMan is a family comedy from Disney, which utilizes the world of NASA and space exploration in a well-meaning, but unforgivably obnoxious farce.

It stars Harland Williams as the world's goofiest spacecraft designer, Fred Z. Randall, who, after a series of inadvertent tests of his resilience, gets the nod to accompany astronauts Julie Ford (Jessica Lundy) and "Wild Bill" Overbeck (William Sadler) on the first manned mission to Mars. It's on this bare-bones plot that RocketMan hangs its gags. There is nothing to the story here, but still, it is arguably the best (read -- least bad) thing about this broken family comedy. The NASA setting and story tropes are passably distracting in the sense that they give you something to look at besides Harland Williams' bumbling clown act, but that is hardly a compliment.

RocketMan spends most of its time with Harland Williams as he does everything he can to squeeze any kind of laugh out of the audience, and it just doesn't work. Fred Z. Randall is a doofus to the 100th power. He flails, he screams, he makes funny faces, etc., etc., etc, but between Harland Williams' grating voice and mannerisms and the absolutely bankrupt writing, the comedy here is dead on arrival. I can't stress how terrible the script of RocketMan is. I refuse to believe that adults wrote this movie. There is not one ounce of wit in this movie. The jokes that are coherent are exclusively surface level potty humor, and worse yet, there are so many jokes that don't make any sense at all. For example, there is a long gag where Fred leads a sing-along of "I've Got the Whole World in my Hands". The big question is...Why?!? It's not funny, it's not sweet, it's not heartwarming, but it sits up there on the screen forever. It's moments of inexplicable confusion like these that convince me that this movie was written by small children, whose undeveloped brains are trying literally anything for a laugh.

What more can I say about this movie? It's bad, but in a way that is genuinely bizarre. I can't believe that this is a real Hollywood movie made by functioning adults, much less a Disney product. If you can try to imagine what a dumber-than-average three year-old might do with a mid-budget family comedy, lower your expectations 20%, and you end up with something approaching the monumental awfulness of RocketMan. I suppose I liked him in Dumb and Dumber, but Harland Williams and his dopey voice are simply infuriating here. His stupid catchphrase "It wasn't me" appears no less than 50 times throughout the movie, and it accounts for not one smirk. RocketMan isn't hurting anybody, but it crosses the level of unfunny, into the realm of total embarrassment. I can almost hear what everybody involved with this disaster must be thinking... "It wasn't me".

Ha ha ha...BLAST OFF to a FUNNY FILM !!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
8 September 2006

Disney's 1997 movie "RocketMan" is a very funny film about space exploration. Here, a boy's dream is to go out to outer space. He spent most of his time looking at the Earth when the father wondered why he should be like most boys, playing football and stuff!!!!! (LOL I remember that) Well, several years later, this man ended up going to NASA and started training for space!!!!! This was hilarious, as evidenced from the isolation chamber scene (he screamed "JOHN JACOB JINGLE" over and over again, scaring the other man to death!!!!!). Finally, this man was selected to go up to Mars and the rest, I will leave hush-hush so that you can see for yourself!!!!!

"RocketMan" may be a forgotten film now, but it's a great one. Watch it; you won't be disappointed!!!!!

10 stars

17 Years later, I still didn't find this movie enjoyable.

Author: tyburney from United States
6 September 2015

I first saw this movie on Pay Per View at my Grand Parents house when I was 7 or 8. Then not surprisingly I forgot all about it. I recently was feeling nostalgic and spotted the trailer for it when I was looking at another stupid movie, named Ironically "The Stupids." So I saw the trailer for this film and it sparked some old(repressed) memories. So I said to myself, "Eh what the hell, I may as well give it a look". And to be honest, I see why my young mind repressed the memory of ever watching this this...(Insert Insult here). This movie reopened some old wounds of annoyance and irritation that I thought I had long since recovered from. Surely this movie has the potential, if not the capability of destroying the developing brain cells of any child that was forced to watch this movie more than a couple of times.(And this is a proclamation coming from someone who grew up watching mind wrecking shows like Ren and Stimpy, and Beavis and Butt-Head). The only solace I had after re-watching this garbage after 17 years, is that I know that the main character(I forget his name and thank God for that) dies on the return trip home. Because he doesn't have nearly enough food to last the eight month trip back to earth, since he idiotically used it all as paint. (Sigh)....Thank you Jesus, my old wounds have re-healed, Now I can rest easy tonight. If you really like this movie, then more power to you. But it wasn't good to me then, and it sure as hells bells Isn't good to me now. Take care, everybody.

Ahhhh.. good Ol' Harland

Author: quagland3000 from United States
12 October 2009

Okay, It's been 12 years since this movie came out. I was 4 when it was released. I first saw it on Disney Channel, and after that...I STILL CANT GET THE IMAGE OF HARLAND SCREAMING IN PAIN WHEN THE CHIMP BITES HIM! Rolling around in that office with the clearly stuffed monkey. In a regular movie this would be seen as cheesy and childish. OH NOT ROCKETMAN SIR, NO NOT THIS. I have seen a lot of Harland Williams movies: his older ones: Dumb and Dumber(C'mon give it here you pumpkin pie haircutted freak!) Half Baked(Oh you like popcorn don't'ya?Makes your teeth go,POPPOPaPOP!) even his creepier but funny uncredited role in Something About Mary (Why do 8 minute abs when there's 6 minute abs?!) Rocketman(Commander are you sure were heading towards planet earth it looks a lot like the sun! Don't question my authority you incompetent fool!AGAAHhhhhhaahahaha..mornin!) And of course Freddy got Fingered (his scream alone is hilarious: AAAAHUeueee!!!AAAAAHueeee!!!HEEEHAhhHEEHAahhAAAAAHuee!!!) Even his newer stuff Employee of the Month and hes got his new sketch movie Child wild But I think Rocketman is him at his best!

One of the funniest movies, ever!

Author: osbo45 from United States
27 April 2009

I have no idea why this movie got so many bad reviews, it is awesome. I can't think of a single movie that made me laugh harder. I saw Rocketman in theaters back in the mid-90's, I laughed so hard I literally fell out of my seat. Harland Willims is seriously underrated. Just the part where he has to connect his space suite to William Sadlers (another excellent actor), makes the movie worth watching.

Overall, I say this is one of the best Disney movies to come out in the 1990's. It's clean enough for the whole family to watch and is entertaining to both adults and children.

10 out of 10

One of the most underrated comedy movies of all time

Author: krrtaa from United States
7 October 2006

This movie will be fun for the whole family. It is an absolute comedy all the way. This movie is along the lines of Stooges-esquire. I have watched this movie probably 50 times with my 3 kids throughout the years and could never get sick of it. It is true comedic genius from Harland Williams. It is definitely one of those movies that will hold it's comedy throughout the years, similar to the 3 Stooges. With Disney's household name, I am shocked this did not rate better than it was. I recommend this for any comedy fan. Great for the entire family to watch. I am sorry he did not come out with a follow up with Disney. Rent,purchase, or watch on TV,you will not be disappointed with this movie.

Rocket This Movie Into Your VCR

Author: Protege5er from Parts Unknown
12 November 2005

First and Foremost, I want to tell you that this movie is sadly still awaiting its DVD counterpart. Hopefully Disney will quit making Lion King sequels and release this gem on DVD. I really liked this movie, very unexpectingly. I decided to pop it into the VHS player in the video store I worked at about 5 years ago. I know everyone has a different sense of humor; this one does not have a different one than mine. The movie is one of the funniest things I've seen on film. William Sadler compliments Harland Williams like two things that compliment each other well (my English teacher would be so proud). I'm not saying it is Dr Strangelove v2.0, all I am saying is give this movie a chance, your kids will love it too. Trust me, some random guy who types user messages for movies on a website, you won't be disappointed.

Pure Slapstick Hilarity! A "Must See" Film.

Author: joliettim from United States
7 August 2007

When I first saw this movie there were times I was laughing so much and so hard that I had trouble catching my breath! Sometimes ya need an ultra-slapstick, goofy movie to dump the weight of the world right off your shoulders and this movie did it for me. Harland Williams is a comic actor genius. HA! The film is a sensational rarity where kids and adults can just be total laughing fools at Williams' antics in this comic "masterpiece of resistance." Lordy, right from the beginning, clear through to the end, the impressive comic craft work, hilarious jokes and physical comedy does not let up. Harland Williams is, without doubt, one of THE most funny actors in the business and I wish that we could all see him in more films. The cool thing about this film is that it sure spits in the eye of all of the pretentious movie snobs who would look down on this film labeling it "unsophisticated, sophomoric" base humor...in reality, this work shows all of us where REAL comedy can take us...like on a ride that is just as thrilling as any hyped up amusement park roller coaster! A GREAT MOVIE FOR ALL TIME...this and "What About Bob?"!

The Best Comedy Movie ever

Author: sridharganesan_2000 from India
22 May 2007

I could not stop laughing even hours later the movie was over. The natural innocence and ignorance (also a touch of genius) Harland Williams has shown in his character was simply superb. The movie has tons of jokes thrown at you and you simply cannot resist them. You have to be a little patient at the start of the movie. The reason for this is after seeing Harland william's Charlie Chaplin type acts at the start, you think it is going to be just another comedy movie. But then, when he gets a chance to be an astronaut you get a felling of "taken inside" the movie without your consciousness. The monkey and Harland Williams seat interchange inside the rocket and what all happens after that till the rocket lands is the ultimate comedy to relish. The climax too was a nerve wracking finish. It takes you to the edge of the seat when Harland just gets it right in taking the rocket back to the track thus avoiding a crash. The best thing is what he uses to fill in the gap for a missing wire. On a whole till date this is the Best Comedy movie i have ever seen in my life.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]