Finding Graceland (1998) Poster

42 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Good direction; First-rate acting; Fascinating story
kent-1131 July 2001
This is the kind of film you'll be debating a year after you see it. Harvey Keitel at his best.

The film should have been nominated somewhere.

This is a truly adult film with no easy answers, but with fascinating people involved in a plot worth your close attention.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Elvis Lives.....
rbrb18 March 2001
This really is a "gem" of a film...American movie-making at its best....the script, directing and acting are all approaching if not at genius level..and all the actors give superb performances especially the actor playing "Elvis"...the scenes where he sings and later cries are guaranteed to bring tears to the eye..... The beauty of the film is that it explores the depth of human grief interwoven with the wish or myth that 'Elvis Lives'..... And once again this movie proves that you don't need to have violence to produce a brilliant work of art.....Well Done to the film makers!!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie
dreamindevallee10 July 2002
(There's a small spoiler in my review but it won't give away the movie)This movie has been out for awhile and I'm wondering what took me so long to rent it. It's a great movie that should have gotten more press at release time. Lots of clues for those of you who are looking and for those of you who aren't just a lot of fun. I've watched it two times and will most likely purchase it as soon as I can find a copy to have in my personal library. One might take notice of the name of the person in the newspaper article and also check out who the executive producer is. Harvey Kietel is great, he's totally believable. This is one of those movies that will leave you feeling good about what you've just seen.
Transformational Sleeper
Sorcerer20018 March 2001
Warning! Don't try to watch this movie without an IQ in excess of 100 and don't try to watch it with your brain... watch it with your heart.

It's clear why this movie didn't appeal to many audiences. It uses uncertainty and ambiguity like a craftsman. It raises more questions than answers. It suggest that a side of life exists that most people rarely suspect much less see.

Harvey Keitel is an unlikely angel hitching his way back to Graceland. The movie illustrates our unwillingness to accept the fact that our world is what we say it is and what we say it isn't.

Hidden in this predictably country and western-flavored, womanizing, motel tour across the southern countryside is an Elvis look-alike that doesn't look like Elvis, but knows things that only Elvis knows, and even wears the same shoe size as Elvis.

And the bottom line... the road less traveled that Elvis clearly steers for each person he encounters is redemption... personal transformation. But then, angels really don't make good entertainment, do they?
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the BEST!!!!!!!!!!
Thomas Morgan7 August 2000
This movie will make you laugh and break your heart at the same time. Bridget and Harvey are at their absolute best. You don't have to be an Elvis fan to love this movie. If you have ever loved & lost, this show will make you want to keep living. I rented it because I think Bridget Fonda is sexy. I got more than I was looking for.I am a 38 year old man that cried with joy after seeing it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to give it 100. Their are not many gems like this one!!!
Excellent Movie
sarahandelvis7713 May 2004
This movie was one of the best movies i have ever seen! When I first rented the movie I thought it was going to be slow and have no plot at all, but as it turns out I realized that this movie was much more than critics said it was. The plot was excellent, the characters were great, especially Harvey Kietel he did a wonderful job playing the King of Rock n' Roll. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes Elvis, or who dislikes Elvis because this movie will most possibly change your mind! The movie also has a lot of values everyone needs to know in life. Not only is this movie about Elvis it is also about the famous Marilyn Monroe. This is one SPECTACULAR movie and I recommend everyone go see it now!!!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the movie has two levels
zojo7jp11 April 2004
This film is based on creative ideas. The acting is fresh. Overall the movie has two levels, one the uplifting plot of a human soul celebrating his love for mankind and spreading it through example; two an edgy undertone suggests that the whole thing may blow up into a dark side shocker for reasons that are never quite revealed. Maybe it's just that amazing Harvey K. It is a brilliant film in concept and execution. Rare.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harvey Keitel produces an unforgettable character true to our images of the real Elvis... and yet... this movie is not about Elvis, it is about the heart, and dreams, and hope.
trgusa18 September 2002
Pure enchantment and intrigue... enter this movie to witness Harvey Keitel stand up for the spirit, if not the flesh, of Elvis. Johnathon Schaech (as Byron Gruman) portrays a grieving husband traveling east who picks up the hitch-hiking Keitel, who claims to be Elvis making his way back to Graceland to reveal his 20-year plot to disappear. Little known to Byron, Elvis has a hidden agenda, and at every turn produces magic from all those who surround him. His true identity and intentions drag you into the plot and you teeter on not believing, and wanting to believe. Bridget Fonda enters as a Marilyn Monroe impersonator, and she and Byron both pursue the enigma of Elvis, all the way to the real Graceland. In the end, it is the journey, not the destination that matters, and Keitel produces an unforgettable character true to our images of the real Elvis... and yet... this movie is not about Elvis, it is about the heart, and dreams, and hope. The charm of this movie will linger with you (however improbable), as in "Local Hero", "Cinema Paradiso", or "The Swimmer" (Burt Lancaster), or even "One Special Christmas", or "Field of Dreams". Don't miss this performance, it's on my list of "must see at least once".
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Help Can Come From Unexpected Places
roaddreamin21 April 2006
"Finding Graceland" is a sweet, fascinating movie that will take you through a whole landscape of unlikely characters who show up unexpectedly and manage to leave their perfect gifts behind. It is a road movie in which the adventures are spiritual. When Keitel announces that he is Elvis, you suspect that he is delusional but, before the movie ends he will convince you that what you think you know is not necessarily the way things are. Keitel is wonderful at playing tough guys but I think he really shines as an actor in his smaller and more low-key movies like this one and Smoke. The cast is excellent - some playing celebrity impersonators who are real, complex human beings with personalities of their own. Bridget Fonda as a tender, almost motherly, Marilyn Monroe is great fun to watch. I've seen this movie several times and it holds up well, always revealing new layers of story and message. Wonderful scenery, a classy car, excellent performances, and a quirky plot make this a worthwhile movie to watch. Maybe even to watch over and over. I hope you like it as much as I do.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It doesnt matter whether he is or isn't, your heart will pound.
docwho-19 August 2002
Damn fine movie. Will keep you guessing all the way till the end, and perhaps you'll choose not to believe anyways. I was glued to this movie from start to finish, the King will always live on in peoples memories won't he.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this