IMDb > Finding Graceland (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Elvis Lives.....

Author: rbrb
18 March 2001

This really is a "gem" of a film...American movie-making at its best....the script, directing and acting are all approaching if not at genius level..and all the actors give superb performances especially the actor playing "Elvis"...the scenes where he sings and later cries are guaranteed to bring tears to the eye..... The beauty of the film is that it explores the depth of human grief interwoven with the wish or myth that 'Elvis Lives'..... And once again this movie proves that you don't need to have violence to produce a brilliant work of art.....Well Done to the film makers!!

Harvey Keitel produces an unforgettable character true to our images of the real Elvis... and yet... this movie is not about Elvis, it is about the heart, and dreams, and hope.

Author: (trgusa) from Mt. Pleasant, Mi
18 September 2002

Pure enchantment and intrigue... enter this movie to witness Harvey Keitel stand up for the spirit, if not the flesh, of Elvis. Johnathon Schaech (as Byron Gruman) portrays a grieving husband traveling east who picks up the hitch-hiking Keitel, who claims to be Elvis making his way back to Graceland to reveal his 20-year plot to disappear. Little known to Byron, Elvis has a hidden agenda, and at every turn produces magic from all those who surround him. His true identity and intentions drag you into the plot and you teeter on not believing, and wanting to believe. Bridget Fonda enters as a Marilyn Monroe impersonator, and she and Byron both pursue the enigma of Elvis, all the way to the real Graceland. In the end, it is the journey, not the destination that matters, and Keitel produces an unforgettable character true to our images of the real Elvis... and yet... this movie is not about Elvis, it is about the heart, and dreams, and hope. The charm of this movie will linger with you (however improbable), as in "Local Hero", "Cinema Paradiso", or "The Swimmer" (Burt Lancaster), or even "One Special Christmas", or "Field of Dreams". Don't miss this performance, it's on my list of "must see at least once".

the movie has two levels

Author: zojo7jp from washington dc
11 April 2004

This film is based on creative ideas. The acting is fresh. Overall the movie has two levels, one the uplifting plot of a human soul celebrating his love for mankind and spreading it through example; two an edgy undertone suggests that the whole thing may blow up into a dark side shocker for reasons that are never quite revealed. Maybe it's just that amazing Harvey K. It is a brilliant film in concept and execution. Rare.

Excellent Movie

Author: sarahandelvis77 from St. Louis Missouri
13 May 2004

This movie was one of the best movies i have ever seen! When I first rented the movie I thought it was going to be slow and have no plot at all, but as it turns out I realized that this movie was much more than critics said it was. The plot was excellent, the characters were great, especially Harvey Kietel he did a wonderful job playing the King of Rock n' Roll. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes Elvis, or who dislikes Elvis because this movie will most possibly change your mind! The movie also has a lot of values everyone needs to know in life. Not only is this movie about Elvis it is also about the famous Marilyn Monroe. This is one SPECTACULAR movie and I recommend everyone go see it now!!!

Great Movie

Author: dreamindevallee from USA
10 July 2002

(There's a small spoiler in my review but it won't give away the movie)This movie has been out for awhile and I'm wondering what took me so long to rent it. It's a great movie that should have gotten more press at release time. Lots of clues for those of you who are looking and for those of you who aren't just a lot of fun. I've watched it two times and will most likely purchase it as soon as I can find a copy to have in my personal library. One might take notice of the name of the person in the newspaper article and also check out who the executive producer is. Harvey Kietel is great, he's totally believable. This is one of those movies that will leave you feeling good about what you've just seen.

Good direction; First-rate acting; Fascinating story

Author: Kent Smith from Tampa Florida
31 July 2001

This is the kind of film you'll be debating a year after you see it. Harvey Keitel at his best.

The film should have been nominated somewhere.

This is a truly adult film with no easy answers, but with fascinating people involved in a plot worth your close attention.

Transformational Sleeper

Author: Sorcerer2001 from California
8 March 2001

Warning! Don't try to watch this movie without an IQ in excess of 100 and don't try to watch it with your brain... watch it with your heart.

It's clear why this movie didn't appeal to many audiences. It uses uncertainty and ambiguity like a craftsman. It raises more questions than answers. It suggest that a side of life exists that most people rarely suspect much less see.

Harvey Keitel is an unlikely angel hitching his way back to Graceland. The movie illustrates our unwillingness to accept the fact that our world is what we say it is and what we say it isn't.

Hidden in this predictably country and western-flavored, womanizing, motel tour across the southern countryside is an Elvis look-alike that doesn't look like Elvis, but knows things that only Elvis knows, and even wears the same shoe size as Elvis.

And the bottom line... the road less traveled that Elvis clearly steers for each person he encounters is redemption... personal transformation. But then, angels really don't make good entertainment, do they?

It doesnt matter whether he is or isn't, your heart will pound.

Author: docwho-1 from Australia
9 August 2002

Damn fine movie. Will keep you guessing all the way till the end, and perhaps you'll choose not to believe anyways. I was glued to this movie from start to finish, the King will always live on in peoples memories won't he.

One of the BEST!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Thomas Morgan (ltmetom@hotmail.com) from Southeast USA
7 August 2000

This movie will make you laugh and break your heart at the same time. Bridget and Harvey are at their absolute best. You don't have to be an Elvis fan to love this movie. If you have ever loved & lost, this show will make you want to keep living. I rented it because I think Bridget Fonda is sexy. I got more than I was looking for.I am a 38 year old man that cried with joy after seeing it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to give it 100. Their are not many gems like this one!!!

good stuff

Author: flyingscot from Austin, Texas
17 May 2002

I great film that will kept your attention far past the credits. Harvey Keitel is a master of the art and adds to his already lengthy credentials with an outstanding performance as the King. Anyone who has doubted their memories or the reality of another's life, should watch and enjoy.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]