IMDb > The Replacement Killers (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Replacement Killers

The Replacement Killers More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An excellent movie that I've enjoyed through many viewings

Author: Mitche
26 February 2002

I suppose this is actually a B movie, but there's something about this movie that keeps me coming back to see it again every few months. Maybe it's the rather unique (for Hollywood, anyway) relationship between Meg and John. I mean, they don't even so much as kiss each other and barely touch at all! But I think they make the screen sizzle, nonetheless.

I must admit I love the action in this movie, too. Every once in a while I wonder how a small time forger learned to fight and shoot like she does, but then I blissfully ignore it and just enjoy the movie.

Great action scenes, wonderful relationship development and great acting by Mira and Yun-Fat Chow make this a movie I'm sure I'll see many more times.

Hits the center of the bulls-eye with hair-raising accuracy.

Author: mhasheider from Sauk City, Wisconsin
17 April 2002

Wild and absolutely menacing thriller involving Chow Yun-Fat (in his American film debut) as John Lee, a quiet yet resourceful hit-man who along with a sarcastic forger, Meg Coburn (Mira Sorvino), become involved when Lee refuses to take out someone close to a cop (Michael Rooker), who shot and killed his mobster boss' drug-dealing son during a drug bust and in the process, Coburn and Lee are also targeted by his superiors.

It's a brilliant debut for Yun-Fat and director Antoine Fuqua ("Bait", "Training Day"), both of whom show their skills with such respect. Some of the shoot-outs that take place in some areas that you wouldn't even think of (car wash, alley, movie theater, etc.). Plus, the cinematographer Peter Lyons Collister and composer Harry Gregson-Williams excell in making the movie even more entertaining. The scenery has a very colorful and artistic look to it and the music doesn't get too loud. I think of the movie as "Lethal Weapon" made like in the style of John Woo, who is one of the film's producers.

"The Replacement Killers" certainly hits the center of the bulls-eye with hair-raising accuracy.

FAT'S THE WAY I LIKE IT!

Author: ALAN MOUNT from CARDIFF, WALES
5 April 2000

This Hollywood debut for Hong Kong superstar Chow Yun Fat does no disgrace to the image of the cool as ice heroic persona established in his Chinese movies.He is not asked to do much here other than engage in long and protracted but beautifully filmed gunfights which he performs with consummate ease and establishes a persona which should serve him well in subsequent projects.A memo however to stupid British movie critics who called this a kung fu movie and referred to Mr.Fat as a martial arts star.There is no kung fu to speak of in this movie and the star is not famed for his skills in this field.Maybe British critics did not even bother to see this movie but just pretended they did assuming that it was a chop-socky flick.I wouldn't put it past them.

This is superb Hong Kong action stuff !!!

Author: incubus-4 from Belgium
21 December 1999

Wow, this movie just blew me away !!! I am a fan of the John Woo type of action movies and I must say that even he was just one of the executive producers, his mark is all over this movie!!!

The result is very good : Nicely paced action sequences, more story and emotions than in your average Hong Kong action movie (But not as much story development as in an American production, but in this genre this just isn't needed that much, it would just slow down the pace), well acted , you kinda start feeling sympathetic for the leads and you'll certainly hate these villains. This is a thrill ride from beginning till the end. And this is where I have my only point of criticism : The movie is way to short !!! 80 minutes and the credits start to roll!!! You'll almost start to beg for more... I'll best describe this movie as a cross between "Face-Off" and "The professional" from director Luc Besson. A must-see for every action movie lover.

papa sorvino is right to be proud

Author: loui-in-stlouis from st. louis
13 June 2005

i think this movie rocks -- it is the best place to watch Mira Sorvino be entertaining and hot.

i just bought the DVD in a bargain bin and i can't stop watching it. OK it's a bit of a TV movie script. but it's a year ahead of the matrix, and i dare you to watch it without making production comparisons. in fact, i can't watch the matrix any more. so much for movies with great scripts.

so much of the goodness of this movie relies on Mira Sorvino's screen presence that it plays a bit like a bit music video -- it's just plain fun to see her on screen. Chow Yun Fat is good, and this American Chinese boy (me) likes seeing a hybrid movie like this... well, it's fun to see the Chinese guy wear nice suits and kick some a$$ too. i can't watch any of the crappy hong kong stuff that the other users seem to think is superior to this. i can see how HK martial arts lovers wouldn't like this -- it's a very different, very American movie. personally, i'd rather see more clones of this movie than more jackie chan.

hey, did i mention Mira Sorvino is hot? i even like the relationship chemistry that develops here -- sort of like the David Carradine character wandering the desert in the Kung Fu TV shows -- he never even gets to kiss the pretty girl who falls for his decency, but the mutual respect is better that way. more movies need to take this route.

i'm not a Mira watcher -- i've only seen her aphrodite and some awful film school $hit i'm sure she wishes she never made, and her happy day on the Oscar alumni stage. as a Harvard guy, i'm not sure i want to see her in romy and michelle. this was simply a great role for a very underutilized actress at the right time in her life during the era of east-west action fusion. if i were producing movies, i'd kick myself for not watching this movie sooner and taking advantage of Mira Sorvino in her prime. it's not too late -- check our her recent IMDb pics. papa sorvino was right -- his daughter is great, and anyone who says otherwise should get a cap in his knee. this movie is the proof.

Chow Yun-Fat brings ultra-cool to Hollywood

Author: latymer14 from Detroit, MI
3 August 2005

Some may call this film "derivative" but many HK productions are about revenge and/or organized crime. While it may not be as kinetic as other CYF films like Hardboiled or The Killer, it also lacks the campy moments found in those films. In this respect, CYF's performance is slightly superior to his HK work because he is required to be far more subtle than some of his more over-the-top roles. Heresy, i know, but what many people might see as the film's vices could be considered virtues: less action and fewer lines of dialog allow a more authentic emotional story to develop and CYF to do more actual acting. The opening sequence is brilliant as pure cinema and must be seen. The relationship between John Lee and Meg Coburn is unique in this genre in that it's basically a buddy situation with romantic undertones; it is one of the best things about the film. (It's such a cliché when characters just hop into bed 10 minutes after meeting.) Highly recommended.

Mindless Shoot-em-up

Author: esh-3 from los Angeles CA
29 August 1999

This could have been a good movie with just a bit more thought and better plot. I get very tired of heroes that can gun down four bad guys (all shooting back with machine guns) with just a pistol. Mira Sorvino and Yun-Fat Chow wasted their talents creating believable characters in this.

Roller-coaster ride from start to finish

Author: l_cobern1989 from United Kingdom
1 May 2008

From the start of the film you know what to expect. This is Chow Yun-Fats first film in America and I think he does a brilliant job. Gets his character spot on. The directer Antoine Fuqua did a brilliant for his first feature film and can't wait to see his films in the future.

The shootouts he produced were brilliant and reminded me of some of Chow Yun-Fats past films. They lasted a good time and were not boring at all. Chow Yun-Fats movement with the gun is just like he did in "The Killer". He moved like some kind of ballerina with guns which reminded me of him in "Hard Boiled". I love shootouts and the ones in these are some of the best I have seen. The shootout in the car wash was brilliant. Loved the way the made it look in there.

The story was OK. Not great but OK. I no the story has probably been done before but most stories have been. I liked the way they made Chow Yun-Fats character to be caring person, not someone who goes around killing people for fun. Mira Sorvino acted her role brilliantly which showed she was a Academy Award winner.

Overall I really enjoyed this film and thought it was a brilliant action film. I'm sure this will be a great film for action fans to watch and also for you Chow Yun-Fat fans. The shootouts will blow you away

A Chow fan

Author: Ishallwearpurple from United States
7 March 2001

I bought the video only because I wanted to see Chow in his other American films after seeing him in Anna And The King. I have now watched it many times. He is the most magnetic presence on screen I have seen in a long time. I am not a shoot um up fan but I can just zap through most of that and watch the characterization develop between the two main people and they are very good. I wanted to know more about both of them and that is the only criticism I have, since I know that this was made for action fans and those who like non stop guns blazing away. For me, I wanted to know about John and Meg. But that would have been another film. Just for Chow and Sorvino, I give it a 7 of 10.

Watch this movie for it's action, you'll enjoy it more.

Author: cbenavidez from Arizona
15 February 2001

Those of you who desire a deep, thought provoking, plot. One which leaves you asking questions, after the movie is done. Well, guess what? This is not the movie for you. However, if you are seeking a high intensity, past paced, exciting, action-packed, drama, stay tuned because the ride has just begun. This is the second time I have watched this movie. I watched it when it first came out and then again just last night. I can't help it but Chow Yun-fat is definitely the Sean Connery of our eastern brothers.

I will admit that this movie is not for everyone. Then again, you can't make everyone happy all of the time. You can make some people happy some of the time. This movie made it's money's worth, so apparently it made most people happy most of the time.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]