IMDb > Polish Wedding (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

An odd movie

Author: Claudine (bleu_ivy@hotmail.com) from California
12 June 1999

Despite the fact that there was technically no basic plot to A Polish Wedding and it was an odd movie, I found myself liking it. Being half Polish I noticed that although the family was Polish, there were only a couple things that were Polish in the movie: The Pierogi (although someone said it wrong), the blood soup, the names and the Catholic religion.

Polish stereotypes

Author: Elisabeth (elisabeth.k@lovemail.com) from Stockholm, Sweden
9 April 2001

I really loved this movie, the characters are great and actually what I think are Polish stereotypes (have no idea of how true that image is, though). The traditional Polish music that was played in the background helped creating the right mood. Claire Danes glides around looking gorgeous (especially her hair!) and Lena Olin looks very Polish. The script could perhaps have been a little better and sort of gone deeper into the story, but still, it's a very enjoyable movie that I would recommend.

PURE TRASH, AND NOTHING BUT TRASH....

Author: KID DR from CHARLOTTE NC
11 November 1999

I anxiously awaited this film due to the draw of Gabriel Byrne, Lena Olin, and Claire Danes- all big stars. I was totally disgusted by film's end. It depicts Polish people as dirty, chain-smoking losers with no morals, yet the gall to attend "church" and make the sign of the cross in some [weird] ceremony where a pregnant teenager is crowned as "the Virgin Mother". I am not Polish, but I can imagine how offended Polish people must be at this depiction. I am not Catholic, but the scene where Claire Danes' character is "crowned" the Virgin Mother, and the crowd kneels and crosses themselves as she passes, well, just what the hell is that about??? I'm Jewish, for godsake, but even I was offended at that sacrilege! And, the part where her character-wearing a formal white wedding gown- crawled on the back of a motorcycle, that was so horrid it was funny! I am certain that Byrne, Danes, and Olin all deeply regret having to add this film to their resumes.

Disrespect for Polish people.

Author: cotton-7 from USA
19 April 1999

I do not know where the person that wrote this movie is from; but, for sure not in Poland. Using Polish names and Polish food is not about a family from Poland - it takes more than this to be Polish oriented. It was very little humor/comedy in this movie - where was it at. Where was the "Polish Wedding"? They didn't even show the wedding. Why was Russian music used in this movie about Poles? I would like to see the producer & director in court for disrespect to the entire Polish Nation. Thank-you.

very funny and true look into polish America

Author: psi-19 from United States
6 July 2006

Polish wedding is a character driven movie with great actors. Dialogue is not always used to express or explain the scene; silence, pregnant pauses, facial expression and spacial arrangement are there own character in this film. Even a cigarette has a cameo. Highly recommend this film to anyone who grew-up in or around a polish neighborhood like I did. Those that did not will be lost. It is great to see a movie not go Hollywood. It is easy to pander to the movie-goers (see Mr & Mrs Smith (good movie, famous actors and explosions)) Polish Wedding is a rare find that is refreshing. If you liked this movie you may also like: Uncorked, The Big Kahuna.

Not worth watching

Author: ceecee7 from United States
29 July 2005

I watched this movie last night, after finding it in the bargain bin of a video store. I am so glad I only paid $2 for it! I thought a movie with Gabriel Byrne and Claire Danes would be of a higher quality. This movie made no sense, and after watching it, I decided it was a total waste of time. The film takes place in Michigan, and involves a Polish American family. I didn't feel that the movie had much of a plot, and the dialog didn't seem realistic. On the box it said it was "hysterically funny", but I barely laughed at all! If you want to see Gabriel Byrne in a high quality film, I would recommend "Miller's Crossing". He is a fine actor, and "Miller's Crossing" is worthy of his abilities. I would definitely skip "Polish Wedding"!

Fertility feminist

Author: Erick-12 from Taipei
9 February 2005

For a first film, this is not bad. Meanders a bit, and the matriarch is not believably presented compared to the depressed father who works night-shift as the neighborhood baker. Contains several charmed moments along the way.

The core interest of this story is in its insistence on a kind of tough motherhood, an affirmation of life in the physical sense of pregnancy and everything that necessitates. A re-visioning of the religious Virgin is one of the more memorable scenes.

As the title promises, this is a marriage plot, one of the most common of traditional plots. Here too the film presents a revision in terms of the woman's point of view. The old mystery for males: "What do women want?" was the infamous question asked by Freud and many others. One honest answer is given in Polish Wedding.

Breakfast Danish

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
1 July 2002

Spoilers herein.

I believe this is a direct-to-video project. Sometimes that is because it is a gem but the audience is too costly to incubate. But sometimes it is because a project too obviously never comes together.

In my experience, Danes shows more charm but less craft than Dunst. Dunst has slogged through the teen genre more or less competently, where she served as sweatermonkey, but she is learning. Danes on the other hand handled three intelligent roles by the time of this film: `Women,' `Juliet,' and (though the film was horrid) `U-Turn.' She has appeal and energy. Lots of innocent charm, the kind many filmmakers like to exploit.

But that is not enough even for this drudge through minor drama. Watch for Danes to be more and more the broken or threatened innocent, like in Terminator 3.

Not only pierogi

Author: Jerzy Matysiakiewicz (jorg@skim.ws) from Zabrze, Polska
4 December 1999

There were big rumours in Polish newspapers about defamative undertones in this movie. I've just seen it on polish TV. It is not offensive at all, but rather stupid. I was full of envy. Family Pszoniak ate pierogi daily - on breakfast, lunch and supper. The pierogi is my favourite polish dish, but they're very hard to prepare, so I can eat them approx. three times a year, especially on Christmas Eve.

Soundtrack - the music was not Polish at all, rather Balkan or klezmer.

What the hell?

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
15 August 1999

My sister and I looked at each other and thought ,"What the hell was that?" after sitting through what I felt was the greatest ordeal I've ever had to go through in watching movies! The title sounded like a funny romantic comedy like "Moonstruck". What it actually was was, well, I can't put my finger on. It WAS pointless and plotless, I'll tell you that. It looked like a look at a dysfunctional polish family at first, but then it evolved into a more and more bizarre story. I love weird movies, and I was blown away by the astonishingly bizarre film "Pi". But "Polish Wedding" was too weird for me. It doesn't make any sense. The climax is one of the most bizarre ones I've seen in a film. The daughter, the "pregnant virgin", who is supposed to crown the Virgin Mary, takes the crown and wears it own her own head, shouting out "It's my crown!". Is this weird enough? No. The mother stands up for her daughter, and as the daughter walks out, still wearing the crown, all the people she passes by, make the sign of the cross. I didn't get that, or what it meant about the Virgin Mary(if anything at all)? It was also VERY tedious and VERY boring. I sat through Terrence Malick's 3 hour film "The Thin Red Line", but this hour and a half film seemed longer and more tedious. I would've spent my time doing something else, but my sister wanted me to watch it with her, so I stayed. Still, I'd run like hell if I heard I had to watch it again. I do get bored with films sometimes, but I've never had the urge to walk out on one. I did here. Here's a good bit of advice; save your money and spend it watching something else.

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]