IMDb > Plato's Run (1997) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Plato's Run (V) More at IMDbPro »

This 'B' Film Needed Some Lulls

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
6 July 2006

I'll say one thing about this film: there are no lulls. You can't get bored watching this. The problem is that it is TOO intense. There is too much action and it NEEDS lulls! That is the risk you take in modern action films. You want it interesting but not overdone. This is way overdone.

Even though the acting is fine and features a couple of "names" in Gary Busey and Roy Scheider, it still has the feel of a "B" film. The best part of it is Scheider's dialog: the only "A" part of this "B" film.

The rest of the story is strictly Rambo mentality but did have a few standout scenes. One in particular was a very innovative scene featuring land mines. That was memorable. Not enough of the other scenes were to make this a keeper for long.

what did you really expect?

Author: Nick Dets from US
17 July 2005

Ah, the 90's Gary Busey action adventure. The gritting teeth, the "EEE-YA!"'s , the goofy shirts, the oddly motivated aggression, the insanity! He always looks like he's having a great time...so, why can't we? This movie, as well as countless other Busey actioners, is classic unintentional fun. So do I give it a bad review because it is so laughably bad or a good one because its so fun to make fun of with friends? I guess the vote should accurately determine the quality of the movie and quite obviously that's not very high. So I gave it an extra star on the 1-10 scale.

The story involves some kind of military kidnapping of Busey's daughter. The mastermind behind this is Roy Schneider, who's droopy face looks like its melting plastic. Hmmm, real life symbolism of how the action picture is melting.

Anyway, Busey is a real treat to watch. His growling and his crazy lines are genuinely hilarious. The direction is complete trash. The action scenes, ludicrous to begin with, are awkwardly directed. If you can't have fun with a bad movie, don't bother renting it.

Fun Action Movie

Author: XCoRyX from Philadelphia, PA, USA
19 April 2002

Its your basic action b-movie,sure thats definetly true.But for some reason,movies like platos run with the same old used and abused storylines just seem to keep on entertaining me.I knew it would be a bit cheesy but with roy scheider,gary busey and jeff speakman in the movie,it couldnt be as bad as the bashers were saying it was.The movie was fine,the acting was WAY above average for the b-movie credit it got.I wasnt disappointed at all besides the fact that jeff speakmans role wasnt too big.I think he and steven bauer should have switched roles....speakman is a way bigger name and would be used better over bauer.Why not let him be the 2nd man?Or better yet,let him have gary buseys role?Well for all the gary busey haters,busey didnt disappoint me.I liked his role as well as everyone elses.Bottom line,pick it up for a night of enjoyment only if your bored on a rainy day.6/10

The rundown on Plato...

Author: Frank Markland from United States
12 April 2007

Gary Busey,Steven Bauer and Jeff Speakman star as three mercenaries who become entangled into a complicated assassination attempt that is set up by Roy Scheider, so after Scheider kidnaps Busey's daughter it's one man army time. Gary Busey is back in his Bulletproof type days as Busey is the lead action star and does shoots all kinds of people in this mediocre potboiler. Plato's Run is pretty much what you would expect from the cast, which is that it's dumb, has lots of action, bad acting and Busey running around looking drunk. There always was something about the presence of Gary Busey that made him a cultural icon, or at least an icon in the B.movie world and for fans of Gary, Plato's Run offers up guilty pleasure not seen since Bulletproof and we all know that with the puffy Busey, puffy Speakman and the still slender Bauer that this is a personification of what a B.movie throwaway is. If anything else it's worth it just to see Busey and Bauer try and escape a landmine trap as a cackling over the top Scheider lies the ham on thick.

* * out of 4-(Fair)

Why do they keep making these movies!?! And why do I keep watching them!?!

Author: millennia-2 from In shame (2005 update)
4 February 2001

'Plato's Run' isn't just bad, it's disgustingly awful. Not disgusting, but disgustingly awful. That's right folks, this movie sucked. OK, think for a minute here, why does these independent video labels keep making movie after movie, with the same cast, same plot, same twists, same everything. I know, I know, they're B movies that aren't meant to be taken seriously, but why oh why are there so many of them? They really can't make that much money, and are hardly much fun to watch. Well, I suppose that's kind of a lie there, they're a ton of fun to make fun of, but... it's two hours of my life which I'll never get back again.

And the sad thing is that there are these actors, many of them good actors, that will probably be stuck doing these low budget actioners forever. Roy Scheider for instance... he was nominated for a couple of Academy Awards way back when, had a series of high profile hits (2010, Jaws), then made a wrong turn somewhere along, and got stuck doing movies like this. Same with Gary Busey. Steven Bauer looks like he's found a way out if he can hold onto roles like the one he has in 'Traffic', but Jeff Speakman and the rest probably don't have a lot on their side.

First let's start with the plot. Actually, let's not. There isn't much of one, and you already know it by now, even if you've never heard of this movie. The technical values are pretty lackluster, even for a B flick like this one, the direction is really sub standard and the cinematography is nothing to write home about.

Unless you're a die hard Busey fan, this shouldn't be watched by anyone

A Fun Watch, In Spite Of A Weak Script

Author: jguz58 from Mesa, Arizona
13 August 2016

A great cast of characters makes up for the script, but this isn't a film I could watch very often.

I've always found Gary Busey to be a very watchable actor. I enjoy his quirky approach to his characters and his sense of humor. It's the reason I've seen quite a few of his films. Here he's teamed with some actors I hadn't seen for quite a while, like Steven Bauer (Scarface) and Jeff Speakman (The Perfect Weapon). And they do a great job with a script that's got a weak plot point regarding the bad guy and at times some poorly written dialog. The script is weak enough that I'm surprised to see a top-notch actor like Roy Scheider associated with it. But all in all, the film is a fun way to kill some time. Especially if you like lovely babes, guns and explosions.

Awe, Too Bad It Couldn't Have ended better!

Author: Freddy Jenkins from United States
3 February 2015

Spoiler Alert!!!

OK first off the only reason I watched this film was for Jeff Speakman. He played his part well until the very end. And by very end I mean the very end. I'm so disappointed he survived a grenade explosion only for him to die at the hands of two of Roy Scheider's men! I would of also loved the entire film a lot more if Jeff had a way bigger role because he was only in it for the beginning scene and isn't in it again until the end battle. I also wish the film showed some more hand to hand combat action I mean I felt like we as an audience get enough of that today I would of loved to see some more of Jeff's Kempo techniques. LOL and I'll always wonder what Gary Busey's character said to Jeff's character's family in this. But over all I think it was a really great action packed, suspenseful movie. It's a 7 out of 10.

i liked it

Author: ghostman16 from United Kingdom
2 April 2007

Plato's run is an entertaining b movie with Gary Busey.it is a fairly unknown film so one i saw it at a car boot i thought this looks entertaining i was right to.Gary Busey plays Plato smith a tough mercenary who is framed for the assassination of a powerful Cuban crime lord now on the run Plato must survive long enough to prove his innocence with the help of his friends played by Steve Bauer (scarface) and action star Jeff Speaksman (the expert). what i liked about Plato's run was the way the film never got boring the plot may have been done before but it was still good the acting was fun to watch and the action was quite fun as well especially the climax Gary Busey makes a good hero ironic since he normally plays the bad guy and Steve Bauer is good as Plato's sidekick even Jeff Speaksman makes a good performance and he cant even act well to finish it of Plato's run is an enjoyable effort from nu image films and i give it 7 out of 10

Run Gary, run!!.........

Author: PL-2
14 July 1999

Well, sorry for the mistake on the one line summary.......Run people, run!! This movie is an horror!! Imagine! Gary Busey in another low budget movie, with an incredibly bad scenario...isn't that a nightmare? No (well yes), it is Plato's run...........I give it * out of *****.