IMDb > Nothing to Lose (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nothing to Lose

Nothing to Lose More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Bit more than "just another buddy comedy" - surprisingly good!

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
26 March 2002

Steve Oedekerk's splendid "Nothing to lose" is certainly one of the funniest and most amusing and entertaining "black & white -buddies" -movie of the 90's. Story is fairly clever and dialogue is witty and quite hilarious. Tim Robbins is excellent as a touchy, fretful and bitter bloke Nick Beam ("wrong guy on a wrong day") who believes his wife is having an affair and kidnaps impudent and talkative robber played by motor mouth Martin Lawrence. I've never actually considered Martin Lawrence as a new Eddie Murphy but I have to admit he's amazing in here. "Nothing to lose" is definitely Martin Lawrence's finest comedic performance so far and if anything surprising doesn't happen, it will always be. Irresistible, enjoyable and pretty much outstanding comedy!

Unlikely partners

Author: jotix100 from New York
25 November 2005

What does one get when one mixes two different types of actors as the leads in a comedy?: A surprise! "Nothing to Lose" shows how Steve Oedekerk's gamble in casting such different actors as Martin Lawrence and Tim Robbins can produce great results.

Not being a fan of Mr. Lawrence's style of comedy, we decided to take a gamble on this 1997 film that came and went without much fanfare. In fact, we had no expectations whatsoever as to what to expect because even the trailers we remember seeing at the time before its release didn't show anything of interest.

In fact, Mr. Lawrence, guided by the expert hand of Mr. Oederkerk, shows a man that can deliver without resorting to his usual excesses. Tim Robbins on the other hand shows an uncanny flair for this type of comedy and a chemistry for his co-star. Both these actors are seen at their best in the comedy.

"Nothing to Lose" feels shorter than its 98 minutes running time. There are also good supporting players behind the stars. Kelly Preston, John McGinley, Giancarlo Esposito, Michael McKean and the fabulous Irma P. Hall, who one would have loved to have seen more of because she is an extraordinary and accomplished actress.

Let this film win you over and watch it without any preconceived ideas because it's packs a lot of fun.

a pleasant surprise

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
21 December 2000

When I went to see this movie in the theaters, I wasn't expecting too much. I was expecting to see a decent comedy with an occasional chuckle with some good lines.

What I wound up seeing was a hilarious film with consistent laughs throughout. I loved it. Lawrence and Robbins were well cast and worked well together. If you get a chance, check this one out.

*** out of ****

If You Want to See Just One Martin Lawrence Movie, This Is the One to See.

Author: phillafella from Nashville, TN
28 October 2003

NOTHING TO LOSE is Martin Lawrence's finest hour and is really one of the very few films to showcase his comedic talent. Lawrence plays a jobless carjacker who meets a depressed executive (Tim Robbins) who is having a very bad day. The two team up for a wild adventure consisting of robberies, car chases and other encounters while being pursued by not only the police, but two rival criminals as well. While the chemistry between Lawrence and Robbins is quite strong, the highlight of the film is Lawrence at home getting his face smacked repeatedly by his mother. Simply put, this is Martin Lawrence's best movie.

4 out of 5

Best Black Guy, White Guy Comedy ever

Author: thewag777 from Florida
25 February 2005

Even better than Trading Places. (I will only spoil the first 20 minutes.) Nick Beam, well played by Tim Robbins, is an upper-middle class white man with a pretty wife, a successful career in advertising, and a nice home. His marriage seems happy, but one day he comes home early and sees his wife straddling another man in their bed. He doesn't say anything. She doesn't even know he was there. He finds his boss's cuff links on the way out, and therefore realises that it was his boss whom his wife was on top of.

After driving in a daze at about 20 miles an hour, Nick Beam wanders into the ghetto. This is where Terrance, played by Martin Laurence, attempts to mug him. Well, Nick Beam is so depressed that he really doesn't value his own life, and takes Terrance for a little ride.

The rest of the movie is filled with their crazy adventures. A few robberies, and Tim's gradual transformation into a criminal. There is a hilarious scene where Tim has a spider on his head, freaks out, and... well you'll see. That scene alone would have made the movie worth watching even if the rest were terrible. But fortunately, there is plenty more wacky adventures for these two before the twist at the end.

Most of this is comedy, but it does get a little serious at certain parts. How could the producers contrast the lives of a well-to-do white man with a struggling black man from the ghetto without going into social injustices? Nick Beam accuses Terrance of laziness and wasting his time robbing people instead of finding a job. Terrance never goes into details, but just tells Nick not to judge him. Then, Nick discovered several rejection letters to Terrance from potential employers. Furthermore, Terrance, a mugger, has a wife and kids and he seems to be a good father to them. It looks like Terrance is more than a common thug.

Lastly, I complement the musical choices. The spider dance scene was to the song, I think its called, 'The Scott Man.' Something like that. Its funny. Later in the movie, Pachebel's 'Canon' is played. The song at the end of the movie is a rap to the music of 'Canon.' I don't normally like rap, but I liked that, very creative.

I give the movie a perfect 10. Its not a copy of Trading Places at all, but it does have a similar theme, rich white guy, poor black guy. This is one of the few movies that has made me laugh uncontrollably for more than a few seconds at a time. If you haven't seen it, watch it, and you will watch it many more times after, I guarantee.

Really Funny

Author: the narrator from Sydney, Australia
12 August 2000

Usually I hate 'buddy' movies. But I like road movies, too. This a combination of those two, and the two sub-genres mixed together made a great combination. Martin Lawrence had lots of funny lines, and Tim Robbins provided some great slapstick comedy (The bit when his shoes caught on fire was hilarious). The ending was a bit weak, but still satisfying. The whole film was good, and better than I expected it to be.

PLOT: 7 DIRECTION: 7 ACTING: 8 SCRIPT: 6 MUSIC: 7

OVERALL: 7

Nothing wrong with some good simple entertainment!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
4 November 2007

This movie surprised me how entertaining it was. It's simple like most other mismatched buddy-flicks but this movie has a certain bit of extra, which not in the least thanks to its fine solid cast.

Thank goodness it's not the type of comedy that forces its humor upon people. The comedy of the movie is more in the chemistry between Martin Lawrence and Tim Robbins. Yes, it sounds weird but Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence are really a great screen duo, with some nice comedy chemistry, that get themselves into some fun trouble when by coincidence embarking on a sort of road-trip together. Like in all road-movies, some crazy characters pop-up. The most sensational one's in this movie are being played by John C. McGinley and Giancarlo Esposito, who form a criminal-duo. The diversity of John C. McGinley as an actor is amazing. Just look at the list of movies he has done and the characters he has played.

But the greatest power of the movie is the chemistry between the two main actors and their individual comical skills. Tim Robbins is a great serious actors, who just happens to like doing comedies as well from time to time. But on top of that he also really has talent for the genre. He knows how the deliver the lines in the right way and knows how to time his moments. Martin Lawrence also has been the sort of comical-actor who fun with his dialog. As a stand-alone actor and when he needs to carry a movie on his own he just isn't good enough but when he teams up with another great comical actor (for example as was the case with Will Smith in "Bad Boys"), he's truly at his best and most fun to watch.

The story unfolded nicely and slowly. Nothing got forced and things just happened as they came along, such as always is the case in road-movies. It at the same time also makes the movie surprising, or at least not as predictable or formulaic as most other comedies. The movie has a couple of greatly build-up moments, some more subtle than the other, but always fun and in some cases even hilarious to watch. Look out for Irma P. Hall as Martin Lawrence's character's mother! It's true that the movie doesn't live up to its fine fast paced start but nevertheless the movie remains fun to watch throughout.

It's a movie surprisingly well worth seeing!

A Fun, Cheeky Film With a Cinematic Genius and M. Lawrence

Author: gavin6942 from United States
27 August 2006

Tim Robbins is a fantastic actor. He was wonderful in "Shawshank Redemption", and "Mystic River" and pretty much everything else he's ever done (even "Anchorman"). He was wonderful in this movie, even though it didn't really demand a lot of talent.

A man (Robbins) finds his wife in bed with his boss, and after being almost robbed at gunpoint comes up with the genius idea to steal his boss's fortune. Along with Martin Lawrence, he becomes a criminal mastermind.

Martin Lawrence is a great comedian on film. "Black Knight" and "Blue Streak" are both wonderful and this film is no exception. His show "Martin" was less sophisticated, but luckily he has shied away from that. The writer/director is Steve Oedekirk, originally (I believe) a writer for "In Living Color" after being discovered on "Star Search". He's now best known for "Kung Pow! Enter the Fist" and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls", and you'll find more of that stupid but clever humor here.

The film's use of music is funny, if poorly conceived. One scene involves an impromptu dance by Robbins to "Scatman" which should be stupid, but proved some chuckles. Odekirk cameos as a security guard who likes to sing and dance, which plays into the plot very well.

Add the very sexy Rebecca Gayheart, Michael McKean and John C. McKInley (who seems to guest star in pretty much everything) and you've got yourself a quirky comedy with a very diverse and talented ensemble cast. This will likely not be your favorite film and you might not even remember it a year from now, but it's certainly worth at least one shot. Because, heck, Tim Robbins can do no wrong.

Oh, and if you like vulgarity, there is a (very funny) scene where the F-word is used nearly fifty times in a two minute span. So, that's fun.

Quite Possibly One of the Funniest Movies Ever

Author: seamovieman from United States
1 April 2006

I have seen this film several times now. I cannot stop laughing at everything I laughed at the first time that I saw it at the theatre. I had no idea what to expect at that viewing, other than the fact that I enjoyed Tim Robbins' work in the past and thought that Martin Lawrence was very funny. This did not prepare me for the life-changing event it was.

I once showed this movie to a then-girlfriend who was no fan of the comedy genre, and thus it was a big risk to even attempt viewing an unknown comedy to begin with. But sure enough, she turned to me when it was over and declared it to be one of the most intelligent yet gut-level funny films she had ever seen.

And without a doubt, she had summed it up best right there.

Another Childhood Favorite!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
13 June 2009

Ever since I saw this at the theatre when I was 7 years old, this has been one of my favorite movies! Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence were awesome together! Robbins plays an advertising executive named Nick Beam who has a pretty good life and an awesome wife. One day when he comes home, he thinks he sees his wife and his boss having sex. After going into deep depression, he is almost mugged by a man named T. Paul. Nick turns the tables and kidnaps the robber. They soon become friends and come up with a plan to rob Nicks boss. They soon must deal with a pair of bad guys who also want the money. I highly recommend NOTHING TO LOSE!!!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]