IMDb > The Nephew (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Nephew More at IMDbPro »

Neat story and script

Author: Brendan Martin from London, England
5 May 2003

This is a neat little story that gives a new twist to the returning Irish diaspora. Although it an entertaining and somewhat lightweight yarn, it does ask a few questions of the main characters and their attitudes to love and hate. A fine performance from Donal McCann as you would expect. And Pierce Brosnan is good not only as the protective father nursing his inner pain but also as the producer of the film. He could easily rest on his 007 laurels but instead he likes to use his box-office clout to help make movies that might not otherwise be made. Yes, the film is easy to watch but no less deserving because of it.

Unexpectedly genuine

Author: lizlucas from Los Angeles, CA
11 December 2002

It is a touching movie about characters with cultural differences which are instrumental in the resolution of unspoken injustices. The scenery of Ireland is breathtaking and the pace of the film is soothing. Pierce Brosnan is to be commended for bringing out the nature of his people and how their sentiments merge with the beauty of his native land.

A Film To Fall In Love With

Author: desertsunflower99 from United States
14 April 2006

A spirited young man from New York, Chad (played by Hill Harper, very worth your notice), takes a trip to an island off the coast of Ireland. This after the death of his only remaining parent, to fulfill a promise to meet his estranged uncle: he is a local man full of his own ideas about how life should be lived, for himself as well as others.

They embark on a personal journey full of challenges, surprises, family secrets and an uncertainty as to whether or not they will ever find common ground.

All of the main characters have been convincingly developed and they each have something conceivable and worthy to offer. This may not have been a super-high budget film but the acting is superb. Pierce Brosnan (one of the producers) gives a generous and compelling performance as the conflicted, village bar owner trying to balance parenthood and an amended life from behind the stone wall of a guarded heart. Veteran actor, Donal McCann, in one of his final performances, adds an authentic and credible edge as our protagonist's uncle. Sinead Cusak, Phelim Drew, Niall Tobin, Lorraine Pilkington and Aislin McGuckin also deliver command performances as the villagers that are comprised of both the kindred and not-so-kindred spirits in Chad's new world.

The soundtrack is a compilation of beautiful Irish ballads, old soul and rock as well as various and sundry other scores that lend a tight musical canvas against which this story is painted. It was disappointing to learn that there are no plans to make this soundtrack into an album that could be purchased.

What keeps me coming back to this sweet and gallant movie is its soulfulness and honesty. The map of the human heart is ultimately universal and the characters in this story endeavor to draw their own lines to determine what defines friendship, family and honor.

This is a wonderful, interesting and thoughtfully structured comfort film. It begs to be watched from your favorite easy chair on a cozy day - with feet up, your favorite afghan and a warm cup of tea and favorite cookies nearby.

A wonderfully touching little "sleeper"

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
18 March 2001

"The Nephew" is about a young American man who, following the death of his mother, returns to her homeland, Ireland, to meet his kindred and instead opens a closet full of skeletons. A wonderful mix of humor, romance, drama, music, and scenic beauty, layered over a compelling story of family issues which need to be laid to rest. Those who give this little "sleeper" a chance are not likely to be disappointed.

Great Movie!

Author: Sissel from Norway
15 September 1998

This movie is just excellent. The best drama movie I've ever seen. It is full of emotions, and this movie is not a typically Hollywood movie!! It has great actors, such as my favorite Pierce Brosnan and Hill Harper. I loved the movie, one of the best with Brosnan. Looking forward to Grey Owl...

A pretty good movie

Author: Neek-Neek from Columbia, Maryland
19 August 2001

I first saw this film on Showtime and I thought it was interesting enough. The story about a grouchy Irishman Tony Eagan(Donal McCann)who learns his sister Karen who had left Ireland for the America after a falling out with him died leaving behind a son who comes to Ireland with her ashes to honor her last request. He soon learns to his surprise that her son Chad Washington(Hill Harper) is a black man. His presence ends up bringing back old rivaly and revealing some family secrets. I really liked the interaction Chad had with most of the Irish folks especially his Uncle. Despite being different he really fit in quite well in the community. And I really loved his blossoming romance Aislin(Aislin Mcguckin)the beautiful daughter of Joe Brady(Piece Brosnan)an old flame of Chad's mother and rival of his uncle. They had great chemistry. The only flaw I found with the movie was that it didn't deal with the racial isssues enough. Chad being the only black person on that entire Irish Island there could dealt with some racial issues for instance possibly have his uncle turn out to be a bigot who as to find a way of dealing with his racist attitudes or dealing with racism from some if the Irish folks just for more dramatization. They could also had Chad feel a little more awkward and out of place in Ireland being black and from New York instead of having him quickly fit in quite well. Thats my only complaint. SPOILER

But I did like his interaction with that guy Sean(I think) about rap music and thought it was hilarious when they where driving and the guy started rapping to him.

Anyway, this was a good interesting movie and Hill Harper is a great and goodlooking promising actor and I look forward to seeing him in other films. The actors were good too, paritcularly Pierce Brosnan and Donal McCann who were good as enemies. I really enjoyed it.

I got my own copy of the movie

Author: Ramamoorthy (nitrones@yahoo.com) from Germany, Tübingen
28 June 2002

Now I have the DVD, I can see the movie to its full force.. it is a must see one.. Irish landscapes, the score.. Each character gives a clear idea of life in Ireland.. escpecially the two nice kids and the two cronies in the bar of Brady

A "Little" Film with Solid acting.

Author: MRavenwood from United States
7 July 2006

This story begins in the middle, as it does for the main character, Chad. Gaps in the story fill in as you go and the film is deliberately vague as to how the characters relate to one another at first, so paying attention is required if you plan on "getting" the whole thing.

The performances are strong and the story is easy enough to follow with the added challenge of figuring out why the various characters are so irritated. Chad grows to understand how his mother is really the source of much of the drama.

Certain plot points are very convenient, but well played by the actors to make them believable. At one point Chad accidentally uncovers a big "piece in the puzzle". But Hill Harper plays it very naturally and blends it right into the script before you notice its unlikeliness.

The film moves at a respectable pace that still lends itself to the sleepy, nothing-to-do small-town atmosphere that is required to convey the characters' attitudes realistically.

An easy film to watch for adults, definitely boring and inappropriate for the under-sixteen crowd. Good-natured comic relief is in abundance. Even so, it is a bit sentimental and therefore might be cast off as a "chick movie" by younger boys/men.

This movie is a Fairy Tale. That's why I love it.

Author: The_Censored_Poster from United States
6 May 2006

This movie is one of those feel good movies. It's not realistic, but I don't find that noticeable while I'm watching the film, because it's such a pleasure to watch. The characters are convincing, and very colorful, and I find myself invited to this much simpler world as eager to explore it as the main character, Chad.

While he takes you on a journey of discovering this town, it's people and his family history, it's hard to notice how unrealistically well the townsfolk accept him (the first person of color they've probably ever seen up close); or the nonexistence of a language barrier between Chad and the townsfolk. The storyline is too interesting for this kind of nitpicking.

Under the masquerade of family history there are several love stories. This movie relies heavily on a hopelessly romantic audience. Anyone not wooed by the romantic backbone of the story will probably consider this movie to be only mediocre, for they will focus on the large gap between The Nephew and the real world. But for people who love happy endings and watch movies hoping to see something lighter than real life, this movie is simply a delight.

Since I am one of those people, in my opinion this movie is wonderful.

surprise

Author: drjoe-2 from United States
19 January 2006

I thought this movie was a nice surprise. I stumbled across it quite by accident while channel surfing on day. It deals with a wide range of human issues (love, cultural taboos, race, generation gap) in a very matter of fact fashion and worked toward resolution of the primary conflicts in believable strides. I feel it reflects well upon the Irish culture and the performers taking part. I enjoyed it well enough to desire to add it to my collection of DVD's. I would put it on a par with The Van, An Everlasting Piece, Rat, and The Snapper (to name a few). It isn't deserving of academy award consideration but certainly worth the time to view it.