IMDb > The Myth of Fingerprints (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not for everyone

Author: preppy-3 from United States
29 November 2004

A heavily dysfunctional family gets together for Thanksgiving. We see their interactions and their inability to connect with each other.

Very quiet and somber with touches of humor. This is a slow, moody film. Some people will love this, others will hate it. I personally wasn't too thrilled (I found it much too slow and quite a few people left the screening I attended) but I can see why some people like this. It has a great cast and is very well-acted and written. The direction seems a little off though. So, if you're into a quiet, moody study of a family--this is for you. Also it is interesting to watch now for the cast--some of them were unknown when this came out and have gone on to bigger and better things.

There are two great sequences:

The children's' reactions when their parents start to tell them about their sex life and, at one point, one woman sees a huge spider who is killed by her boyfriend. She says, "That was a huge spider! It would have whomped Charlotte's ass!" That line had me giggling for 10 minutes and has never left me--and I saw the film back in 1997!

Can you spell DIS-FUNK-SHUN-AL?

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
23 November 2001

"The Myth..." is yet another of many films about families converging on the parent's home for a holiday with all their baggage in tow, emotional and Samsonite. The film is a good shoot and offers a good cast doing good things with what they are given. Unfortunately, the audience is relegated to voyeurism with little in which to partake as the film wends it way through family matters and issues of little consequence which seem curious at best. A lukewarm watch for those into relationship films.

A quiet,wonderful Independant film

Author: jonas.reinartz from Cologne, Germany
6 August 2001

It wasn't easy to get a copy of "The Myth of Fingerprints" in Germany,but I found a dubbed rental video of it at ebay.I bought it,because I am a huge Julianne Moore fan.It was worth the price.It's a good movie by a very talented young director and an excellent cast.The pacing is pretty slow and the storytelling great.The cinematography is wonderful,too.There are a lot of remarkable scenes,especially where Roy Scheider "kills" the turkey and Julianne Moore talks to Cezanne(wonderful acting!)

Hey Bart,be happy with Julianne and your son and make good movies till the end of your life.I don't think you'll read this and I don't know you,but I think,you're a really nice guy!

A trifle too boring

Author: Raymond Tan from Singapore
10 April 2000

This movie is a dark account on a family with some very dysfunctional members coming together for Thanksgiving. I don't know if you can label this as comedy or socio-drama as it has elements of both. Trouble is the the story plods along so slowly that all your patience is exhausted by the time you reach half of it. Yes, you either love it or hate it. If you're expecting something more lively or engaging you can forget it. The movie simmers so agonisingly slow it never gets to boil. Strong characterization fails to save an otherwise lackluster plot. Even accomplished performances by Roy Scheider as the mentally-disturbed father and Julianne Moore, in one of her more fascinating portrayals as the caustic and moody elder sister in the family, fails to save the movie. Mediocre.

explanations needed

Author: zzbeijing (zzbeijing@yahoo.com) from United States
24 January 2005

i watched the movie yesterday, the story was okay, but i really didn't understand why the father had kissed his son's girl friend, it sounded crazy, sick, and unhealthy, in some point. being drunk was just an excuse? so when the father was drunk again and dancing with the girl friend, it was a kind of reunion and everything bad seemed to be passing away from the memories. but when the son was trying to cut in, his father was a kind of crazy AGAIN, therefore the son got really mad and pushed off his father and made him fall down to the floor. although the father did some ridiculous things, he had never explained that, for example, he could say sorry, and i got really drunk blah, blah, but no, nothing. it was sad part of the movie. and the son was totally right, the father would probably do something crazy again this time, and before all the eyes. so he left the day after with his girl friend, the father called "warren" and then hid behind the curtain, his son, heard him and turned back reluctantly [?], anyway, that was the end of the movie, it was something that the director did not make clear to me.

worth watching

Author: hectorjlk from Princeton, New Jersey
14 June 2002

I think this movie had a few really good moments and portrayed its characters in a very realistic way. I felt that as a whole it didn't quite pull together, but I'd recommend it. Better than most blockbuster films you'd see.

Just barely worthwhile

Author: emd5w4 from Chicago
8 July 2005

Nothing really to spoil, as there's hardly any plot to speak of. Knowing that in advance actually made it bearable to watch clear through. The title doesn't seem to fit, and my local Hollywood Video had it under Mystery & Suspense (probably because of the word "fingerprints"), with an M sticker on the spine, instead of D for Drama where it belongs. Everyone mumbles their lines, and I didn't care enough about the characters to rewind even once; for anyone still curious about this film, I recommend turning on the closed captioning, if you have the option.

That said, THE MYTH OF FINGERPRINTS has 3 things going for it: (1) casting Noah Wyle and Michael Vartan as brothers; (2) the subplot with Julianne Moore's character and the book. (How could her dad *do* that to a book??); And best of all, (3) the Rufus Wainwright song near the end. By far the best thing about this movie, as it introduced me to his music!

Is it too much to ask? Can't we just try to get along?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
14 May 2002

Noah Wyle, of TVs ER, plays a young man than returns home after several years for a Thanksgiving reunion of his dysfunctional upper-class family. The weekend is marred by unresolved issues. Conflict, rage, guilt, animosity and apathy cloud the incompatible gathering. Heavy weight drama written and directed by Bart Freundlich. Passions simmer and there is very little people pleasing skills applied.

Along with the very good acting of Wyle is Julianne Moore. Also cast stand outs are Blythe Danner, Roy Scheider, Laurel Holloman and Christopher Duva. Skip your twelve step meeting and watch this. It works if you work it.

Julianne Moore Rocks!

Author: johnny-143
9 June 2001

She is quickly becoming our countries Cate Blanchett, which I think is a

good thing. This film is a terrific little postcard to dysfunctional

families, well acted and beautifully filmed apparently in Maine. It's

great to see Roy Schieder back in action again. Haunting and painful yet

totally real, this is a movie to savor. Probably not a great date film,

see it with your family and cringe. I only wish that the family looked

more like a family. If you're going to have Julianne Moore in a film,

how about Eric Stolz as her brother and Carol Burnett as her mother?

"Myth" is a terrific first film, I look forward to what this director

does next. (by the way, thank heavens for the independent film channel,

where I saw this. I'd never heard of it before, but caught it on this

little station and I'm renewing my subscription!)

What's this about?

Author: Bigmoose from In a van down by the river.
12 March 2000

This an overall good movie, or at least I think it was. I couldn't seem to figure out what its about. I mean it was pretty funny, and had it's dramatic moments, but what was going on. The acting is great, and the set is eye masasging, but I still can't seem to figure out what it's about. I guess I'll have to watch it again. I gave it an 8/10, and I have to give some advice. If anyone wants to make a movie like this again, you don't need as many charators.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]