IMDb > Murder at 1600 (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Murder at 1600

Murder at 1600 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Good Cast largely wasted...

Author: canuckteach from Canada
25 January 2008

Finally caught this on Peachtree-TBS. I have to agree that the screenplay seems like it came off an assembly-line, and there are too many times where the viewers are asked to suspend their belief. Too bad, because the cast is excellent. I'm always glad to see Dennis Miller in a supporting role, and Daniel Benzali has a mesmerizing screen presence (he was the lead attorney on that highly-watchable 'Murder-One' TV show a few years back), but he is largely wasted here, muttering lines such as "You'll tell us if he tries to contact you?". Dan: you're the head of Security at the White House, you're supposed to know what's going' on. (Just ask the guys over at the Bourne Identity franchise).

Also, we have a bumbling gang of Secret Service agents who keep letting their prey escape, the back door being the escapee's avenue of choice. A Tom Clancy novel this ain't.

However, Wesley Snipes IS superb - he almost saves the day here. His Washington homicide cop is the only character that gets a bit of development. Nice chemistry between him and Diane Lane.

And there's action, and some suspense. Despite the wooden story, I found it compelling that a pending conflict with North Korea serves as a background for the unfolding events. So, I watched it and didn't have a bad time... but I still think the character development and pure storytelling in almost any British TV detective show is 'heads n shoulders' above this. *sigh*

Murder at 1600-Presidential Success ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
26 April 2011

Taut thriller with Wesley Snipes investigating a murder at the White House.

The picture becomes much more engaging then first realized. There are some very good performances and political intrigue abounds with the discovery that the first family was there when the killing occurred. It also becomes exciting when we find out that the first son is quite a Lothario and his father, the president, could be under suspicion as well.

Diane Lane is effective as a CIA operative and we see how crude the latter organization can be.

Alan Alda does some scene stealing acting as a presidential adviser with plenty on his mind.

It's not "The Manchurian Candidate" but it's an effective film.

Fairly watchable but totally routine whodunit.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
29 May 2008

My Take: Has the potential of being at least mindlessly exciting, but rarely reaches it.

After just releasing the Clint Eastwood vehicle ABSOLUTE POWER, MURDER AT 1600 is released with practically the same plot. A murder happens to take place in the white house, it happens to be a women, there's the cop who believes the case breaks when the case breaks and suspects happen to be the President and his Chief-of-Staffs. MURDER AT 1600 isn't new film, as it is built upon ideas and storyline from other films. The plot is an interesting virtuoso, with some interesting plot twists and revelations, but it doesn't really grab you. It's interesting but not totally engaging.

Wesley Snipes however is in fine form as a cop Harlan Regis, a cop who's assigned to investigate a murder that happens to take place at the White House. The Secret Service fails to capture the murderer, but decides that they close the case immediately, dismissing that the murderer is the victim's old boyfriend, but Regis thinks otherwise. Regis, with a little help from Secret Service agent and award-winning sharpshooter Nina Young (Diane Lane, also pretty good), tries to get on top of the case, with suspects that include the president's son (Tate Donovan), the White House staff and President Neil (Ronny Cox) himself.

The climax and the conclusion has a few surprises, and there are a number of very good performances, but this is still fairly pedestrian territory. It's not especially exciting, with lack of some action, and the plot gets pretty confusing as it goes. Director Dwight Little isn't quite the professional when it comes to the action scenes. The plot is familiar, but the writers do their best to confuse us to make the plot seem like new material. Where's the fun in that? MURDER AT 1600 is not a bad thriller, and the film promises some few good scenes and a fine lead by Snipes, but with more potential than they got, it could have been better.

Rating: **1/2 out of 5.

Decent film (Spoilers)

Author: LoupGarouTFTs from United States
8 May 2006

This film had some decent action, some decent suspense. I liked the fact that most of the loose ends were tied up (even though it was never stated that Snipes' building is saved, it seems a safe bet). I really love Alan Alda in almost everything I've seen him in, but I have to admit that I crack a smile every time I hear him make his "you've never served, so you'll never know what it's like" speech. I have to admit as well, that I liked seeing him get his comeuppance at the end--but I would have liked to see a bit more consequence for the president and his son. Once again, sexual misconduct is shrugged off as a "boys will be boys" thing.

If that's the only thing that I can really find to complain about, then it was a decent film. Yes, some suspension of disbelief is needed, but not as much, for example, as in "National Treasure." I would recommend it to anyone who does not believe that it truly represents the inner workings of Washington, D.C.

Very Good Film, That Has A Great Cast, And A Good Story, With A Cool Twist At The End!, Wesley Snipes And Diane Lane Were Awesome Together!

Author: callanvass
21 October 2005

This is a very good film, that has a great cast, and a good story, with a cool twist ending, Wesley Snipes and Diane Lane were awesome together!. All the characters are great, and it has some good action scenes as well, plus Wesley Snipes and Diane Lane are simply amazing in this!. Alan Alda is fantastic in his role, and i thought the finale was excellent!, plus Snipes and Lane had fantastic chemistry together in my opinion!. For the most part it's unpredictable, and while a lot of people may have figured out the murder at the end, i sure didn't!, plus i thought Snipe's acting was fantastic!. The opening is quite disturbing,but funny at the same time and Daniel Benzali gives a memorable performance as Spikings!, plus it's suspenseful at times as well!. Ronny Cox is great as the president, and while the film may not be all that original, it's still pretty entertaining to watch!, plus The ending was very amusing!. This is a very good film, that has a great cast, and a good story, with a cool twist at the end, Wesley Snipes and Diane Lane were awesome together, highly recommended!. The Direction is very good. Dwight H. Little does a very good job here, with good camera work, great angles, and keeping the film at a fast pace!. The Acting is fantastic!. Wesley Snipes is amazing as always, and is amazing here, while his character was a tough guy, i found him to be likable, and often funny, he also had fantastic chemistry with Diane Lane, was fantastic in the acting department, as always, had a lot of charisma, he was amazing!. (Snipes Rules!!!!). Diane Lane is also amazing as always, and is incredibly gorgeous, she had fantastic chemistry with Snipes, was quite intense, and made what a little part she had, into an interesting one! (Lane Rules!!!!). Alan Alda is wonderful in his role here, he added a lot of class, had quite a presence, i just wished he had more screen time! (Alda Rules!!). Daniel Benzali is creepy as Spikings, and had an unpredictable character, i liked him. Dennis Miller does okay here surprisingly and wasn't that annoying!, go figure. Ronny Cox is awesome as the President, and also wished he had more screen time.Harris Yulin is okay here and nothing more Rest of the cast do fine. Overall highly recommended!. ***1/2 out of 5

Good Points

Author: Rick Blaine from London
26 May 2002

There are good points in this movie, but to discuss them would be to introduce spoilers. The most difficult thing with this movie is getting to the stellar cast and the somewhat flimsy story line past the colourless Wesley Snipes in the leading role - one has to either suspend normal expectations of how leading actors should carry a story line, or get a lobotomy first, or both. Word has it Bruce Willis was targeted for the Snipes role and turned it down, although word does not reveal why. Willis and Lane might have been good; Willis would certainly have had more than enough personality and acting skills to carry the story, good or bad; with Snipes there instead you might as well watch a rerun of Walker Texas Ranger.

Good Action/Thriller

Author: mjw2305 from England
13 October 2007

Harlan Regis (Wesley Snipes) is a homicide cop, Nina Chance (Diane Lane) is a secret service agent; when a murdered victim is found in the white house they are left trying to piece together the real truth behind the murder, finding plenty of smoke and mirrors that are trying to disguise the truth.

Murder at 1600 is a good solid thriller, with an interesting premise and a strong cast, and even though its an enjoyable ride; it somehow seems to captivate less than it really should. Its still a good way to spend a few hours, but you'll find less here than initially meets the eye.

No hackneyed thriller elements

Author: Mort-31 from Vienna, Austria
3 August 2001

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Now, that's what I call a good, well-made, solid crime film. The plot is highly far-fetched, but in fact, I didn't find any bad holes, except maybe that it's quite unbelievable that in reality one single idealist could seriously endanger the President's regency. Apart from that, a good thriller idea is turned into film without special directorial ideas by Dwight Little, leaving away hackneyed Hollywood thriller elements: e. g. there is no attempt at a love affair between Regis and Nina Chance, not too much emphasis on Regis' private life (was he ever maried? we're not interested!) and no emphasis at all on the fact that he is black. The screenwriters could have stressed the film by using all these elements but they decided not to do it, which is a big, big plus for this Hollywood blockbuster.

Of course, for me the numberous surprising twists were interesting. At at least two points of the movie you thought: okay, now the movie will take this or this course but you were always surprised. That's how a good crime story works. Also we don't miss the `Wag the Dog'-effect: `Murder at 1600' is also a story about covering-up methods of the White House.

What became of the American P.O.W.'s?

Author: RONY-3 from Philippines
10 August 2000

Though the "murder" was solved. The fate of the American soldiers, who were being held and tortured in Korea, was not really resolved, as far as I saw. I know that they were not the center of the story but still their presence was greatly felt. They should have resolved their fate along with the murder.

Original Movie, good.

Author: Christopher Borg from Malta, Europe
13 July 1999

A good movie.

Ok, the story is old - a cop which has to solve a case.

The only originality in the movie - if so can be defined - is that the Murder was commited at the White House. Detective Harlan Regis(Wesley Snipes) will solve the case with the help of Nina Chance (Diane Lane).

The cast : I like Wesley Snipes - he's terrific when he plays a cop. Diane Lane ... well, I think that the movie would have had much more success if Wesley had someone like Jennifer Lopez with him.

Vote : 65/100.