IMDb > Murder at 1600 (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Wow, Does This Deteriorate After A Good First Half

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
19 February 2008

The first hour of this movie was very entertaining, even if it did offer up the normal clichés of the day. It featured good suspense and a likable hero played by Wesley Snipes. I was really enjoying this, but - yes, but - the film goes right down the tubes in the last 40 minutes. The last 20 minutes will really have you cringing.

Not only does the story get convoluted, it loses all credibility. A murder at the White House and no FBI? That's just one of many loopholes. We wind up getting the same tired military-and U.S. government-are-the-bad guys bias that we've seen upteen times in the past 40 years. Hey, the film is entertaining but if you have a brain, you might have problems with this story.

By the way, any film that includes post-MASH Alan Alda or pre-9/11 Dennis Miller is usually pretty bad. We get both in this film.

The ending is so ludicrous, such an insult to anyone's intelligence, that is has to offend anyone, regardless of their political persuasion. This is one of the few films that ends so poorly that both Liberals and Conservatives would agree.

In fact, most people agreed that this film was great for the first half, horrible in the second and was filled with too many clichés that ruined a movie which good have been a good one. Another clue to what you have here is that this was directed by the same guy who did "Halloween 4" and "Free Willy 2."

Not bad action thriller with an unusual premise

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 August 2016

This White House thriller sees top detective Wesley Snipes investigating the murder of a young blonde woman found dead in one of the toilets. His investigation soon leads him up dangerous alleyways as he uncovers a far-reaching conspiracy involving adultery and men who will stop at nothing to cover up the truth. To be fair it's a rather pedestrian storyline and indeed the film follows a safe, middle of the road pattern, never presenting anything original in the way of ideas or plotting. The scripting is rather predictable and the characters contrived, and the input of journeyman director Dwight H. Little doesn't add much in the way of interest either.

Still, it's rather hard to dislike this movie. Wesley Snipes is on top form here as the likable detective, and I loved his war gaming hobby. Diane Lane makes for a pretty foil, and there are some distinguished actors in the cast, although Ronny Cox is unwisely underused as the good-guy president; I would have preferred to see him playing another weaselly villain a la ROBOCOP. There are a few action scenes which feel tacked on, including a somewhat cheesy climax, but in the end I enjoyed this film to a certain degree. It's not world changing, but for the 1990s – a decade of usually poor filmmaking – it's not too bad.

1600 at #1600

Author: thesar-2 from United States
17 July 2016

Welcome…to my 1600th review. Thought this throwback would be appropriate.

Ahhh, the 90's. Filled with suspenseful murder mysteries with numerous red herrings. Though it's frustrating now, I still miss the 90's.

Yeah, this movie is silly and showed me some happenings that I had to shake my head at, but it was still somewhat of a decent ride. Always love me some Diane Lane and do like Wesley Snipes a lot. Plus, it helps, with the exception of the awful Olympus Has Fallen remake, White House Down, I love movies that involve intrigue around the White House/politics setting. Always reminds me of the fantastic 24 television show.

The rundown is a murder does, in fact, happen in the White House and Detective Westley Snipes Regis is trying to dodge a bunch of government cover-ups to solve it. Along for the ride is Secret Service Diane Lane Nina to feed him information and further the plot/suspense. (Note: these are not their names in the movie; I'm just being as silly as the movie.)

The movie is not to be taken seriously and if you leave your brain at the door, there is enough action, detective work and even some humorous moments to enjoy. Totally recommended for us 90's movie lovers.

***

Final thoughts: Remember Sledge Hammer? That hilarious cop TV show from the 80s? Well, there was this one line where Sledge Hammer was given a suspect's address of "1600 Pennsylvania Ave" and he didn't know who that address belonged to. It was a joke in the show that he was so dumb he wouldn't know who lived there. I was a kid then, so I didn't know either and I believe my dad had to explain it to me.

Just a tidbit from my childhood that I recall fondly whenever the White House's address is brought up.

Average mystery thriller, nothing special

Author: adamw25 from UK
5 May 2016

'Murder at 1600' is another generic 'whodunit' mystery thriller. It does just about enough to keep you from losing interest and switching off, but that doesn't mean it's any good.

With the setting of the murder being the White House, you'd have thought this 'whodunit' would be intriguing at the least. Not really. The plot is okay, if a little slow to get going, and the cast do a decent enough job, but there's not much to get excited about. It's all very average.

Put it this way, I'd have turned this off at any point before the mystery unravelled and not been too bothered about what I'd missed. 'Murder at 1600' is just another generic thriller, nothing special.

Alright mystery thriller

Author: Davis P from United States
17 March 2016

Murder at 1600 is an OK thriller film. The cast all does a pretty good job, especially Diane lane and Wesley snipes. Alan Alda also does a good sufficient job at portraying his role. The dialogue between characters is alright at best, nothing great, but nothing terrible either. The film does at least keep you guessing for the majority of the runtime. The mystery kinda builds as it goes, which is always fun. The mystery isn't the greatest one ever to be in a movie, but it is interesting to see how it all comes and works together to see who is behind everything and why in the end. The action scenes (shooting, punching, etc.) were pretty fun of the mill action sequences. That's not bad necessarily, just would've liked to have seen something a little different from the usual. 6/10 overall.

Murder this Film Any Time.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
4 June 2015

Murder at 1600 (1997): Dir: Dwight Little / Cast: Wesley Snipes, Diane Lane, Dennis Miller, Alan Alda, Ronny Cox: Disappointing thriller about timing and skill, which is something not demonstrated here. It regards the murder of a woman at the White House. Didn't Clint Eastwood run the same drill the same year in the superior Absolute Power?The quality of the film depends upon how long viewers are kept guessing and director Dwight Little doesn't utter a peep with regards to the killer's identity. Little previously made Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. Despite familiar premise the structure operates well on plot twists with identities saved for the conclusion. It is just everything else that doesn't quite click here. Wesley Snipes isn't exactly branching out here. He gets to kick someone's face in within the first ten minutes. Diane Lane is featured because the screenplay called for a female and she obviously fit the bill. Dennis Miller plays Snipes's partner without a bit of humanity. Ronny Cox plays a bland United States president and that is the extent of his appearance. It is as if the right elements were in place for a decent screenplay but when filming began something else entirely appeared on the screen. It contains no point other than to involve viewers in a familiar mystery and a bunch of mindless scenes where Snipes beats people up. Score: 2 / 10

everything is going fine until the third act

Author: SnoopyStyle
4 April 2015

Young White House staffer Carla Town is murdered in the White House. D.C. homicide Detective Regis (Wesley Snipes) is assigned the case. Secret Service Director Nick Spikings (Daniel Benzali) is resistant and assigns agent Nina Chance (Diane Lane) to handle Regis. Detective Stengel (Dennis Miller) is assisting. The janitor is set up as the initiate suspect while Regis catches an assailant bugging his home. Secret service is hiding the evidence and the girl's relationship with President Jack Neil (Ronny Cox)'s son Kyle (Tate Donovan). There is a North Korean hostage crisis and General Clark Tully (Harris Yulin) is pushing to act. Alvin Jordan (Alan Alda) is National Security Adviser and Kitty Neil (Diane Baker) is the first lady.

This starts off as a pretty interesting paranoid conspiracy thriller. Everybody is a suspect and there is lot of tension. Somewhere along the line, the movie goes over the top. It's probably when the DC cop investigating the White House murder becomes a wanted criminal without raising any flags. There are shootouts galore and I can't wrap my mind about how nobody could figure out something is going on. Then there is the secret tunnel into the White House. The movie pushes too far away from believability and it fizzles out. The explosive third act just feels weak, silly and formulaic.

No Ordinary Murder, No Ordinary Crime Scene

Author: seymourblack-1 from United Kingdom
26 January 2014

A brutal murder, a political conspiracy and an international hostage crisis are just a few of the ingredients of this movie which was based on the novel "Murder In The White House" by Margaret Truman (the daughter of President Harry S Truman). This entertaining murder mystery contains plenty of drama, action and interesting characters and a police investigation that quickly reveals the presence of a number of suspects, a potential sex scandal involving the President and his son and a great deal of interference from the White House Chief of Security.

Washington Homicide Detective Harlan Regis (Wesley Snipes) is called in to investigate after the dead body of an attractive secretary is found in a White House toilet cubicle. Carla Town (Mary Moore) had been stabbed to death and when Regis visits the crime scene, he quickly runs into problems with Security Chief Nick Spikings (Daniel Benzali) who claims that the crime took place outside Regis' jurisdiction. Spikings orders Regis to be removed from the premises and this is only prevented by the intervention of National Security Adviser Alvin Jordan (Alan Alda).

Spikings assigns Secret Service Agent Nina Chance (Diane Lane) to work with Regis and keep him informed of any developments. Chance is an ex-Olympic gold medal winning sharpshooter who is unenthusiastic about her assignment and initially conducts herself in a rather formal manner. When information comes to light about President Jack Neil (Ronny Cox) and his son Kyle (Tate Donovan) possibly having had intimate relationships with Carla Town, they both become potential suspects.

Things start to get more sinister when the Secret Service set up a White House janitor to be the fall guy for the murder and then bug Regis' apartment. Nina Chance's conscience makes her uncomfortable with being involved in an innocent man being imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit and it's this development that gradually makes her start to warm to the task of actually helping Regis' investigation rather than hindering it. The events that follow show that the crime under investigation was no ordinary murder and was in fact, part of a complex political conspiracy.

Wesley Snipes displays his character's humour, attitude and determination very convincingly as he continues to pursue his investigation despite all the obstructions that are put in his way and also shows the personal qualities of a guy who's been fascinated by history from a very early age. Diane Lane gives a solid performance as Nina Chance whose demeanour changes as she gradually becomes more suspicious about some things that are going on and gradually buys into what Regis is trying to achieve. The entire cast is top class in this movie but Alan Alda and Daniel Benzali really stand out in their supporting roles as two men who are not as straight-forward as they originally appeared to be.

"Murder At 1600" is well directed by Dwight H Little who successfully generates a great deal of tension at times (e.g. the sequence in which Chance goes into a storage room where some important records are archived) and the ways in which the characters develop as the story unfolds is also particularly enjoyable to watch. This movie's combination of intrigue and action is tremendously entertaining and together with the quality of Wesley Snipes' performance was, no doubt, the reason why it became so successful at the box office.

You were born to become a chalk outline.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
4 February 2012

I like Wesley Snipes in just about everything he has been in. I am not talking Academy Award stuff here, but just enjoyable action fare that will pass the time without making you groan.

New Jack City, Passenger 57, Rising Sun, Demolition Man, Blade I, II, III, U.S. Marshalls, and this one all provide action and entertainment. That's what we watch movies for, isn't it? The story about a conspiracy to get rid of a President (Ronnie Cox) who is not a right-wing nut job like Alan Alda is interesting, and there are interesting characters along the way like Diane Lane (Unfaithful, The Perfect Storm), Daniel Benzali ("Murder One"), and Dennis Miller (Bordello of Blood).

You won't go wrong here as Snipes shows the best character yet.

Snipes is great, but what starts as a fine political thriller just ends up with explosions, grunting fights and snipers

Author: Terrell-4 from San Antonio, Texas
8 December 2008

Murder at 1600 starts with all the clever thriller set-ups and intriguing plot grabbers of slick Hollywood at its best. It ends with all the pointless, cliché-ridden thriller hokum of slick Hollywood at its worst. What makes it work as well as it does is the appealing, intelligent performance of Wesley Snipes, an actor whose career has disintegrated into pointless, second-rate macho movies. Most of Murder at 1600 is an exciting ride, and I always enjoy boarding the roller coaster. Finally reaching the destination, however, is a yawn.

It's all about the body of a young woman, one of the secretaries, discovered in a White House bathroom. Detective Harlan Regis (Snipes) of the D. C. Police Department is assigned to investigate. The head of the White House Secret Service detail, Nick Spikings (Daniel Benzali), isn't having any of that. The White House is his turf. Matters get complicated when the murdered woman is identified as the girl friend of the President's son. She might even have been the girlfriend of the President. Regis makes clear he's not going away. Spikings assigns one of his team to work with Regis. She's Agent Nina Chance (Diane Lane), small, highly attractive and, more to the point, smart. She's also a sharp shooter. That's a talent that will come in handy later. But is she assigned to help Regis or to spy on him and report back to Spikings?

Will this be an investigation of a murder or a cover-up for a murderer? Or is the murder part of something worse...something like, say, an incursion into North Korea? What we quickly realize is that Benzali and Alan Alda, as National Security Adviser Alvin Jordan, are going to chew the scenery. By the time this complicated, high-potential mystery movie limps to its conclusion, we will have spent most of the time enjoying Wesley Snipe's charm and resourcefulness as he unthreads a conspiracy. Diane Lane's talent as an intelligent sidekick with great legs is not to be sniffed at, either. Of course, Hollywood also gives us a few nearly unkillable hit men who pop up here and there, a convenient tunnel to the White House, explosions, helicopters, car chases, kicks, grunts, the inaccurate idea that the FBI doesn't have jurisdiction over crimes committed on federal property (no big deal, some producer probably said) and a climax in the White House that involves a lot of people, including the President. But that's Hollywood big-ticket show biz.

After Murder at 1600 Snipes seems to have decided that he wanted to be one of the big, macho, impervious Hollywood hero types, the kind who star in big-budget flicks aimed for the 16- through 26-year-old crowd...the kind of movies that feature awesome explosions and mano-a-mano fights with evil. Snipes was a good actor once. Don't know what happened, but Snipes personally and professionally seems to have taken the long drop.

At any rate, I still enjoy Murder at 1600, and I like Snipes' performance so well I can even get past the last 25 minutes. He was one of several actors who made vivid impressions in the great, odd King of New York. In a sidekick role, he nearly edged Sean Connery off stage center in Rising Sun, and he proved he could handle comedy easily in White Men Can't Jump.

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]