IMDb > Mrs Dalloway (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mrs Dalloway

Mrs Dalloway More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

True to Woolf's finest novel, brilliant portrayal of contrasting themes...

Author: Peegee-3 ( from Santa Monica, CA
13 September 2000

While I agree with some of the more perceptive comments made here, I have a few of my own to add. First, the novel on which this film is based is an all-time favorite of mine and I'm happy to have seen it beautifully translated into cinematic form. The contrast between the personal and inner life of an upper class English woman and the horrors produced by war (in this case, symbolized through the experience of one man, brilliantly portrayed) is both moving and exacting. Vanessa Redgrave gives a splendid performance as Clarissa...sensitive, radiant, conservative and uncertain about life decisions as she looks back (nicely depicted in flashback). Michael Kitchen as her would-be lover of old is perfect for the role...quietly romantic, sexy, with just the right British propriety. The troubled young war veteran and his wife are well cast and Marleen Gorris should be credited with graceful directing.

A beautiful adaptation of a wonderful book!

Author: gaiter88 from United Kingdom
19 April 2005

This is a beautiful little film, which portrays the book admirably. When put up against its counterpart in The Hours I think it compares favourably. For sure it is a much smaller film in both stature and actor profiles, but this does not make it worse, in fact quite the contrary.

The English cast do a great job, on this essentially English story, with strong performances all around, notably from the leads from both eras. It is nicely shot, and the script has been well managed, and achievement for a Virginia Woolf novel.

I often find myself trying to pick out flaws in films like this, but the only possible complaint I can think of is the lack of continuity in height ratio between the leads over the two eras, petty some might say, and actually a small price you might expect to pay when you cast the wonderful Vanessa Redgrave.

I can't help feel sorry for those people who don't get this film. If Virginia Woolf isn't your cup of tea fair enough, but to think this and therefore the book is boring can only mean a lack of understanding or appreciation of Woolf's views on the point of life.

In essence when I watched this film it charmed me for an hour and a half, and then when it was finished left me questioning the value of my life, and important decision I had made, and was yet to make, which if you have ever read it is exactly what the book does.

This is an superb character study, beautifully acted and directed.

Author: ebb-2 from Brooklyn, New York
27 July 1999

Kudos go to all who participated in making this wonderful film. Vanessa Redgrave, as usual, is perfect as an aging dowager who settled for the "safe" path in life instead of seeking adventure and taking risks. When her old flame reappears, she reevaluates her choices and second-guesses the paths that she chose. The film also has a sub-plot about a shell-shocked World War I veteran who is in emotional torment and is inconsolable. The film works on two levels. It shows the interaction between proper British people who speak politely to one another, but the viewer senses that there are fierce and passionate undercurrents and important thoughts that seems to be unspoken. In addition, the film is a clear indictment of the stuffy and snobby British society of Post World War I England, in which a party could be of such importance that a person's reputation could hinge on its success. There is also a feminist slant in the movie. Can a woman who spends her time at home making parties and pleasing her husband ever feel fulfilled? Did Mrs. Dalloway make the right decision in "playing it safe" in life? That is up to the viewer to decide. Meanwhile, revel in the fabulous nuanced performances, the witty dialogue and the beautiful cinematography. This film is a triumph.

How sad, to find it "boring!"

Author: Alan Nelson from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 February 2003

Everyone doesn't like everything, so I'm not surprised that some people find the movie of Mrs. Dalloway boring. They probably would find the book boring too. But it's depressing. So they won't agree with some of us who see the novel as one of the great works of the 20th century, and the film as a truly remarkable and beautiful capturing of it. The only touch I regretted was the opening of the film with the Septimus Warren-Smith war scenes. The opening really belongs with Mrs. D. and her first words, "I will buy the flowers myself." After that moment, it's a quiet day but a beautiful and sensitive one.

A miraculous adaptation

Author: patherto from Frostbite Falls, MN
12 September 2004

Marleen Gorliss has pulled off a most successful adaptation of one of Woolf's most diaphanous novels. I'm not a fan of voice-over, but here the device is used discretely and to great effect. The magnificent performances of Redgraves and the rest of the cast bring to life this delicate tale. Probably a chick flick in its focus on love and the meaning of things, this film will not appeal to all tastes. But if you liked 'The Hours,' you'll love 'Mrs. Dalloway.

Very good.

Author: suzy q123 from United States
9 July 2001

I enjoyed this movie very much, although I really loved the novel a bit more, but that's always the case it seems. Vanessa Redgrave and Natasha McElhone make a GREAT older/younger version of each other, and Rupert Graves gives a stellar performance as a young man dealing with the impact of war. This is a gently told tale, but it's done very well. Worth a look.

Excellent movie, well-written, well-performed.

Author: Louise M. Gouge from Orlando, USA
4 October 1998

Mrs. Dalloway is a very well-written and performed adaptation of the Virginia Woolf novel. Kudos to screenwriter Eileen Atkins for her faithfulness to the original story. The double casting of the central characters is realistic and makes the flashback scenes easy to follow. Every actor was completely believable in his/her role. But the most brilliant performance of all was Rupert Graves as Septimus Warren Smith, the tragic young war hero suffering from delayed shell shock. (For the full impact of his inner torment, try watching this movie with a combat veteran, as I did.) A quality movie. Don't miss it!

Mrs Dalloway rocks!!

Author: thingummybob from United States
21 January 2005

Though I haven't read the book, I felt the movie had a lot to offer and should not be so easily dismissed as "boring." Maybe I am biased, I am an ardent fan of Vanessa Redgrave. But the real star in my opinion was Natasha McElhone. She really internalized the role of a blossoming of young girl, who is not a child not yet a woman. She is mischievous, mature yet artless in certain ways and also innately different from the "mature" Mrs Dalloway essayed by Vanessa Redgrave. I also liked Rupert Graves character. I would not have guessed the abrupt ending of his life.My one observation about the movie is till the end I was not too clear about the depth of emotions that Clarissa had for Peter!! Maybe the book also leaves it vague, but some information would have helped me understand why on one hand she treats him in such a cavalier fashion but then again she shows her tender side in her overwhelming concern for him at the end. Hope other people like it as much as I did.

Sublime adaptation of essential novel!

Author: Henryk von Babenberg from Hamburg, Germany
20 April 2001

This film is VERY little less than a masterpiece!

It actually works on several levels, all blending effortlessly together. Redgrave is absolutely sublime and shows what a great actress she really is - she sails thru the film with grace and dignity and lends real spirit to the character whom she plays. Surrounded by a stellar cast, most notably Graves and McElhone she makes this film a sheer delight to watch.

And you can watch it again and again and never get tired of the wit and beauty which is ever-present all thru the film.

Simply Divine

Author: DaughterNo2 from Missouri, USA
28 March 2003

This period film is rich in character, lush scenery of London and divine costumes. Vanessa Redgrave is simply lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed the building of the story by interchanging flashbacks with current time. The movie encourages one that hasn't read the novel by Virginia Woolf to do so.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]