IMDb > Mousehunt (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Makes me laugh.

Author: katzzmeow from Tacoma, WA
27 January 2002

This movie makes me laugh, the Mouse makes the movie. More fun for adults than for kids. I love watching it when it comes on. Nathan Lane isn't the top banana, not even the top cheese. If mice were really like that, we'd be a goner. That meeces tears those guys into pieces and thank goodness for that.

Surprise, this movie is actually a good one!

Author: Vanessa Segui (winona4eva-2) from Weston, Florida
13 August 2001

I was actually taken by surprise when I first saw this movie. Mouse Hunt really is an adorable movie, although I didn't expect it to be at all, me being critical of kids' movies and all. It was quite an impressive story with an equally impressive ending. Even my father, who thinks most kids' movies are bombs, actually said, and I quote: "It's a great movie. I love it." I actually thought so, too. While Nathan Lane isn't particularly my favorite actor, he did do an excellent job in the film. The funniest jokes were spoken by or directed at him. (A couple of examples, while not the funniest lines, still made me giggle: "I'm just glad he finished the place before they cartered him off to the Laughing Academy," "We're looking for a cat... preferably one with a history of mental illness.") This is probably my favorite film from Lane (I definitely like it a lot better than The Birdcage). Overall, the film is a fun one, and probably one of the funniest movies of all time. If you're looking for a movie that will make you laugh, this movie would be high up on a list of movies I'd recommend.

lee evans the true genius

Author: etien55
19 March 2000

i think this movie is a christmas movie --the kind made to be shown for the christmas box office or to be repeated endlessly --like home alone, the 101 dalmations, but having said that it had its funny moments -- i think lee evans has genius and should have a movie of his own! i would write a script for him --he has the pathos of a fine comic actor...

Updated Laurel and Hardy

Author: Penfold-13 (possum@jackalope.demon.co.uk) from London, UK
3 October 1999

What amazes me about the previous comments made is that none of them mention Laurel and Hardy.

This movie is clearly a homage to L&H, or should that be "attempt at trying to imitate L&H"?

The scene in the square, where the fatter, moustached Smuntz brother waves the ends of his tie at the women across the way is a straight lift from Hardy, and there are many other places where the scene is, shall we say, uncannily like a Laurel and Hardy scene.

Since film-making has advanced a little since their day, there is the opportunity to have a lot more special effects, and the mouse which is the bane of the Smuntz brothers' lives can be filmed doing lots more interesting tricks. Actually, the mouse chases are more obviously copied from Tom & Jerry cartoons, but the ease with which they fit in makes it hard to avoid the conclusion that they'd have had those sequences in the Laurel and Hardy movies if they could.

The big difference between this and a L&H movie, though, is also a product of "progress". Because it is made with the child audience in mind, it is more crudely drawn and lacks finesse.

It's perhaps difficult these days to do slapstick with the same innocence that Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy managed, and so it inevitably seems disappointing, but Mouse Hunt makes a pretty good stab.

Great for the kids. 9/10.

Author: Fudge-3 from Brighton, England
5 September 1999

The beginning is a little slow but since this is for children that is not a bad thing: they have time to crunch through their popcorn and crisps before the action starts. It took its time to more fully realise the two lead characters and I did appreciate that this was not simply a slap stick comedy. Once going the laughs come thick and fast, and there are some really good moments.

Note to self:

Get this on video.

Don't try to swallow Coke while watching someone blown up a chimney shaft; it's messy.

Mouse Hunt

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
17 March 1999

Two brothers (Lane and Evans) inherit a mansion complete with the world's smartest and meanest mouse. A fun family film with many moments of laughter and entertainment. Lane has all of the best dialogue, while the mouse has the most difficult stunts. An enjoyable film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Christopher Walken co-stars.

A laugh riot for children and adults.

Author: ID Long from Portland, OR
16 September 1998

I saw this movie first on video. With a 24 hr. rental I watched it all the way through three times. Interestingly I kept seeing things I hadn't noticed the first or second viewing, like Christopher Walken's incredible hi-tech, mouse locater outfit, and the edible cockroach at the hero's restaurant. It is an old fashioned laugh riot that reminded me of the old Abbott and Costello movies, but with much better writing and all the twists that computer animation can provide. In short it is a movie that children will love, that parents can appreciate at a completely different level.

The mouse of the house

Author: 81Scorp from Sweden
25 January 2007

So... this is my first review and I've chosen this movie, lets start!

When I first heard about this film I thought of it as a Home alone-clone. Years later I saw it on TV and saw what it was really about.

Yes, it reminds you about Home alone, but in a good way. Most Home alone-clones have thin plot, very little motivation, rushes to and focuses too much on the villain-getting-hurt-part. This one focuses just enough, and in the old classical way that reminds you of Harry Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy.

Two brothers in need of money have inherited an old house worth millions. As they start fixing it up they realize it is inhabited by a mouse not willing to give it up, and so the battle for the house begins.

Hilarious movie, everything is perfectly balanced and Nathan Lane and Lee Evans both delivers some golden moments. Maybe not for all ages, but certainly for people who appreciate good classical slapstick.

You can now go back to what it was you were doing

One thing I wondered about when I watched Mouse Hunt recently

Author: Mark Saunders from Isle of Wight, UK
2 November 2004

Warning: spoilers ahead if you haven't seen the film!

See it, then maybe read this if you like.

One thing I wondered about when I watched Mouse Hunt again recently, is the nature of the mouse. Here we have a very intelligent creature, far more intelligent than any mouse usually is, closer to "Jerry" of 'Tom & Jerry' than a real mouse, with powers that are evidenced by things that largely happen off-screen (he is able, on two occasions, I think, to trap threatening people in a trunk - how exactly?), and a mouse which demonstrates some very human characteristics (sleeping in a miniature bed, for example).

I've started to wonder whether the scriptwriter was intending us to make a deeper connection - that he is the reincarnation of Mr Smuntz Snr...

It's not outside the realms of possibility: the mouse is not seen until long after Smuntz' death, and isn't it odd that he should happen to occupy that particular house at that particular time? Is he perhaps there to guide his two former sons to a place where they have a better relationship and a more fulfilled life than before? All Smuntz Snr seems to have been obsessed with in life is string, and his two sons being successful and being closer than they were, both of which is achieved by the end of the film.

I never quite understood why the mouse eats the "first piece of string" that Smuntz Snr gave to Lars before he died, and how the mouse then becomes separated from the string it has eaten with no ill effects during the house collapse. But what if this is meant to symbolise the mouse/father taking back control in order to bestow it equally on Lars and Ernie at the end?

Certainly, the mouse initially seems intent on causing a nuisance, but once it has defeated their attempts to kill it, it gives them a lot of help! Amongst other things, it gets rid of Lars' greedy wife to a Texas oil baron, destroys the old house that would have left them rich but probably unfulfilled, brings the two brothers closer than they've ever been, and by inventing "cheese string", helps them out of the hole that the losses of string production had put them in and leads them to a success of their own, while enabling all concerned to have a useful function in a positive future.

Or am I reading too much into it?!

This was the first time I became aware of the hilarious Nathan Lane, and I thought he and Lee Evans made a great team. It's a shame they didn't double up for more films in similar roles. Bizarrely, of course, they will be working together shortly on stage in the London West End production of The Producers, following Richard Dreyfuss' departure!

Great Movie

Author: crusty_james from Australia
2 November 2003

I thought that this was a really good film, that was not given the proper attention it should have recieved. It was a kids film, but i (im 18) thought it was hillarious. It was violent in a very tidy way, meaning there was no blood or anything but it still looked like it would have hurt, which was very animated in a way i guess and ended up very funny. I personally loved this film and laugh every time i watch it, i think that it didnt recieve a wide audience as it should have, and think that is definently worth a second look.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]