Mousehunt (1997) Poster

(1997)

Mouse hunt review
mcancea17 January 2018
Mabye my favorite comedy. If I don't like this movie you have no brain the 6 out of tens are rediculas is easily one of the funniest movies ever made you have to been dumb to not like it. It is a film with nathaNathan lain and they are part of fhia string factory and find this house and they fix it up to have this occsion and they have a mouse i the house and it just gets crazy. The best part is it's its just kike a classic carroon it has all these crazy moments that you find in these cartoons no spoilers cuz not enough have seen this movie I don't think. This is for me the best movie of 1997 and holds up well now as a comedy and it is just amazing and hilarious and a must see if you like comedy' s.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Evans and Lane work well in an upbeat family comedy which retains a slightly darker edge
Robert McElwaine27 December 2017
In this 1997 cartoon style, slapstick comedy directed by Gore Verbinksi, (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Ring) and starring Lee Evans and Nathan Lane,tThey play Chalk n Cheese brothers who inherit a rundown house from their recently deceased father. When it is revealed that is worth a fortune, they plan to sell it at auction. They set to work to have it restored to it's former glory, but don't count on it having an unexpected occupant. That occupant being a mouse that they try to exterminate but predictably runs rings around them to comedic effect.

An enjoyable romp with colourful performances from an overall decent cast this is what happens when you put Laurel and Hardy, Tom & Jerry and Home Alone in a blender. True, while it isn't quite as consistently funny as I would have liked it to be, this still get's by on a fair amount of it's inffectious charm. Both Evans (who doesn't do a half bad U.S. accent) and Lane individually aren't in career best roles, but they make a fine comedic pairing as they deftly bounce off one another as the contrasting brothers. One's the facetious cynic, the other the more good natured sentimental monkey boy who let's his heart rule his head, and it works well.

Although fairly upbeat as it should be, it does retain something of a slightly dark edge and director Gore Verbinski ensures there's an air of futility as they try to rid their house of their rodent interloper. The direction for the most part is excellent although it does falter in an early comedy set-piece which is stilted in it's handling, and there's the odd occasion but not always where Evans does go a bit too over the top. He simply gurns too much during the slapstick sequences.

That said the scenes where they're hunting the mouse and some of the elaborate feats, as well as it scurrying within the walls of old house are wonderfully executed. The scenes where the siblings inevitably buy a cat to devour their target don't come off quite so well, as it's painfully clear most of the time that it's a fake animatronics or CGI cat which doesn't sit so well with the mouse which for the most part looks genuine. Never the less, it visually does look great with Verbinski creating a cartoon-1950's style world which our two leads inhabit, while the incidental music by Alan Silvestri who's worked on other movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Van Helsing compliments it's slapstick, comedic tone.

Yes, some of the of the slapstick isn't quite as sublime or as gut achingly funny as I would have liked . However there was at least one moment where I did find myself close to tears, thanks largely to the comical reactions of both Lane and Evans who do display their knack for physical comedy. I didn't even mind the presence of Christopher Walken as an overly dedicated (weirdly so I might interject) exterminator, who while he does his usual moody schtick, it still works well enough here. In the end, it's a shame this was a flop on it's theatrical release as while not great, it's still far from awful and superior to the passable if forgettable Baby Day's Out that came out several years before. Far from being a comedy classic still but fun escapist hi-jinks which will never the less left should leave a smile on your face.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strangely dark and wickedly stylish, "Mousehunt" is an oft-hilarious slapstick comedy for both kids and adults. Though it may be too extreme for younger children.
MaximumMadness12 October 2017
Released twenty years back in 1997, director Gore Verbinski's "Mousehunt" has always been something of an odd beast in the world of entertainment. Seemingly inspired by classic comedy duos like Laurel and Hardy, while also updating the style with spiffy modern-day effects and filmmaking techniques, the movie was shaping up to be a surefire hit. And to an extent, it was. It did well enough in theaters and built a moderate audience, but it was savaged by critics and has become an increasingly forgotten film in the ensuing years since its release... overshadowed by bigger and wilder films that emerged in its wake.

And honestly, that's kind of a shame. Because despite some minor flaws and an overly simplistic high-concept hook, "Mousehunt" remains a pretty charming and well-accomplished comedic tale that appeals to both kids and adults alike with its broad humor and oddly dark tone. Starring the delightful comedic geniuses Nathan Lane and Lee Evans, the story of two down-on-their-luck brothers trying to deal with a rodent infestation in the mansion they've inherited is an appealing and well-made release. It still brings the chuckles and belly-laughs two decades later... though in retrospect, it might be a little too extreme for particularly young children.

Following the death of their businessman father Rudolf (William Hickey), brothers Ernie (Nathan Lane) and Lars (Lee Evans) are both forced to stay at the run-down old mansion that was left to them. Soon after, they discover documents inside and realize that it was one of the final houses designed and built by the world famous architect Charles LaRue, and that it could be worth millions with proper restoration. However... there's a catch. A single mouse inhabits the house, and the brother decide that they must eliminate it at all costs in their effort to turn a quick buck from the property. But it won't be an easy task, as the two quickly realize that this isn't just any mouse...

The film's strength lies in the charming lead performances and the absolutely manic and highly cartoonish comedy, brought to life with Verbinski's trademark dark and stylish visual direction. Lane and Evans light up the screen, and their chemistry is just perfect, with both men given their fair shot to shine from scene to scene. They really do compare well with the classic comedy duos of yesteryear, and its too bad we thus far haven't really seen them together on screen since. Supporting roles by the likes of Hickey, Vicki Lewis and Camilla Søeberg are also quite good, and everyone really gets into the right mood and mindset of the film. And of course, special praise goes to the legendary Christopher Walken in a scene-stealing supporting role. I won't spoil it, but you can tell Walken is having an absolute blast with the film.

The comedy of the film is absolutely awe-inspiring, comprised of both broad and completely whacked-out slapstick for the kids and some truly twisted and subtle dark laughs for the adults. There really is something for everyone with the humor in "Mousehunt", and its made all the better thanks to director Verbinski's keen eye. I've always been a big fan of his work, and his style lends itself well to the material. His films always have a very gritty, Gothic and over-stylized "hyper-reality" to them, and he is able to deliver the laughs and even the occasional gasp with glee and gusto.

However, there is a certain trade-off that comes as the result of this, and I do feel the need to warn parents... this movie might be too much for particularly young children. While I won't spoil anything about the plot or story, I will comment that many of the darker gags and jokes deal with content that might scare children under ten or at very least leave them feeling uneasy. This includes jokes involving death and property destruction, a hilarious but genuinely disturbing background gag involving a young girl's pet being put to sleep and some overt innuendos and suggestive sight- gags. If you're not sure, I'd say watch the movie first and decide for yourself. And I'm really only bringing this up because the case for the DVD is significantly more bright and "cutesy" than the film itself.

"Mousehunt" isn't a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. The concept and characters are simplistic and it's sometimes a bit confused in terms of tone. But that doesn't stop it from being just a ton of fun and a completely enjoyable experience for both kids and adults. The cast is great, the titular mouse is adorable, the comedy is laugh-out-loud funny, and the stylish direction is just fantastic. And so, I give it a very good 8 out of 10 and would recommend it to most audiences. It's a criminally underrated comedic gem that deserves far more recognition than it receives.
Predictable...but funny
stormhawk201825 May 2017
Mouse Hunt is a movie that I watched for the first time at least 10 years ago. I wanted to revisit for a while now and seeing as how Gore Verbinski has a new movie coming out now, there wasn't a better time to do it! I don't have many memories regarding the movie, or huge nostalgia towards it, but I always remembered how it was the live-action Tom & Jerry movie that I wanted to see. The movie follows two brothers, Ernie and Lars, whose father dies and leaves them his string factory and a huge abandoned house. Upon finding out the house is worth over a million dollars, they want to sell it. Of course, there's always an obstacle. Here, the obstacle is a very cunning and clever mouse that just won't get himself caught no matter how hard the brothers try. That's basically the plot of the movie. It's a 90 minute slapstick comedy that doesn't have much more to it, but damn is it charming. There's something wonderful about seeing two grown men getting outsmarted by a little mouse. The comedy reminded me a lot of Laurel & Hardy in the best way possible! I used to watch a lot of Laurel & Hardy when I was younger and I couldn't stop seeing the similarities between the two main characters here and Laurel & Hardy. The slapstick is very well done. There's some scenes that really got to me and some scenes that didn't quite hit, but most of it was hit, rather than miss. The set design is perfect! I love the look of the house and the way the scenes with the mouse in the walls are shot is very impressive. I was very surprised to see how well this movie was directed. The CGI, as well, impressive. This movie was made in 1997 and some of the animated animals look better than in movies today! The acting's great. I always loved Lee Evans and his charisma. There's just something about him that cheers me up a lot. His reactions to everything and his voice are perfect for a movie like this! Nathan Lane as his brother was great, as well. Christopher Walken also appears shortly in the movie as this badass exterminator that sees catching mice as going to the war. It's very amusing and entertaining. All in all, Mouse Hunt is really worth the watch if you're a fan of the older slapstick comedy movies. I'm not talking about Adam Sandler level of slapstick, I'm talking about Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello type of slapstick. The good type of slapstick.
I love Mousehunt
Albert Nikanorov16 April 2017
I'm pretty upset to learn about "score" system of IMDb, as such garbage movies with millions of dollar in budget, sorry for my language, Dr. Strange, La La Land, Snowden, Suicide Squad, etc., nominated to more than ten Oscars at once, had got 8 or more scores, but... Moushunt only 6.4? "People are such ignorant creatures", - one had to start thinking.

Moushunt is a classic... Not classic. It's a movie of my childhood. Sure, I watched it more than ten times, and it's never stop being such a hilarious, fun, wisdom movie for me. Yes, wisdom! Wisdom is that two brothers never stop dreaming and taking an action. One wouldn't be able to overcome such a burdensome events in his life, but they are true entrepreneurs.

And mouse, mouse!

Natan Lane, as I learned just know, I'm an ignorant person at this point, has distinct portfolio of titles, but it's only one movie where I watched his acting, the same for Lee Evans. Surprisingly don't know why, I've never ever saw them in other movies I happened to watch.

Script is magnificent, camera-work is... what was the word? Invigorating! And acting? Did you see the acting fully integrated to its characters, set, camera-work and script? Hollywood isn't making anymore so subtle yet full of enthusiasm movies anymore. Sad.
Cute little family movie
Davis P4 April 2017
Mousehunt really is nothing more than just a cute little family oriented kids movie, and for trying to be that it succeeds. It's not some serious movie and it's not a movie that was going to win at any one of the major award shows, but it was always one of my favorites when I was growing up, and it was always one of my favorites because it did a good job at entertaining me when i was younger. Now that doesn't mean that some teenagers or adults couldn't enjoy this movie, because frankly I think some of them could, but I think the main target audience for this movie is children. The humor and all the jags are mainly set up so that children will understand them and laugh. In other words, the humor here is pretty obvious and there's no real subtlety to any of the comedy, and again I think that's because it would go over the children's head, and they wouldn't get it. I especially liked Nathan Lane in the lead performance, I think that he gives a really good performance, of course not as good as the birdcage, but really what performance of his could top that one? I think the visuals are done well and I like the way it was directed. I suppose my only complaint is that one or two of the gags go a little over-the-top and that makes it cheesy and it makes it unfunny. But all in all it's just good family fun. 8/10.
Mouse Crap.
Python Hyena23 March 2016
Mouse Hunt (1997): Dir: Gore Verbinski / Cast: Nathan Lane, Lee Evans, Christopher Walken, Vicki Lewis, Michael Jeter: I couldn't understand why children laughed. A mouse hurls aimlessly through the air and lands between a woman's breasts and a man reaches in after it. Her friend smiles and plunges her date's hand between her breasts. We witness a psychotic cat snagged in mouse traps. There are suggestions of sex yet this is packaged as a family film. Nathan Lane and Lee Evans try shamelessly to kill a mouse so that they can profit off the house, and while they're at it, they may have killed their careers. Director Gore Verbinski runs about like the mouse itself permitting anything save for a plot. He is aided only by its production, which contains a Capra style visual appeal, but it is far from anything remotely evident of the quality of a Capra film. Lane and Evans fall victim to countless stunts that seem inspired by Home Alone. Christopher Walken is wasted as an exterminator who goes through Looney Tune accidents. Then there is Vicki Lewis and Michael Jeter both making career suicide. It seems to suggest compromise and solution, however these themes hardly represent the true agenda of this dog show. With that said, it should indicates that families can attend a better film as a solution to seeing this one. Perhaps this worthless family film travesty can be snagged in mouse traps. Score: 1 / 10
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not that funny
SnoopyStyle8 March 2016
String magnate Rudolf Smuntz (William Hickey) dies leaving his ancient factory and run-down mansion to his sons Lars (Lee Evans) and Ernie (Nathan Lane). Ernie loses his trendy restaurant after poisoning the mayor by serving food with a cockroach and reduced to being a fry cook. Lars rejects a large offer for the factory and his wife April (Vicki Lewis) throws him out of the house. The brothers go to the house and discover it to be built by famed architect LaRue. LaRue fanatic Alexander Falko (Maury Chaykin) is eager to buy but Ernie greedily arranges for an auction in a week's time. They are shocked when Falko indicates a value of as much as $10 million. They are hounded by an elusive mouse and Ernie intends not to repeat the cockroach incident. They use various methods including a cat named Catzilla and an exterminator named Caesar (Christopher Walken).

This is simply not that funny. It's a sort of reverse Home Alone. It is following the Wet Bandits without Macaulay. I actually think this movie needs a cute animated mouse whom the audience can root for. It might be funnier from the viewpoint of the mouse. Ernie's motivation doesn't make much sense. It's a lot slapstick and destruction resulting in limited laughs. The movie could go full throttle Three Stooges but it doesn't have that childlike quality. They are too money grubbing for that. There is nothing particularly bad or hateful about this. It's just not that funny.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest movies I have seen
ctyankee122 September 2015
This movie is so funny. Nathan Lane and Lee Evans are the sons of a man that died that owned a string factory.

Right in the beginning the fun starts. The brothers argue about the color of Lee/Lars Smuntz's funeral clothes. As they walk down the stairs of the church the handle breaks off the casket, their father's body goes flying out of the casket, into the air and down a open manhole in the street.

The characters are all funny. The animation is amazing. Nathan/Ernie Smuntz has a restaurant and serves dinner to the Mayor who is very fat who is with his family. His daughters see a cockroach without a head running across the table. The Mayor realizes he has eaten the head. He falls back in the chair and passes out. The movement of this giant roach running on the table is so hysterical.

The sons inherit a house from their father who was kind of weird. No one lives in the house and when the men go there they find a mouse who is like the owner of the house. He crawls in all the spaces and takes what he wants and just takes over and causes problems for the sons. The animation of what the mouse does and what they do to catch it is so funny.

The sons end up hiring a man to trap the mouse. The exterminator is played by Christopher Walkens. He is really good in this movie. He has his own equipment and is experienced. He talks loud so the mouse will hear what he has to say because he believes the mouse understands him from his experience and he is trying to fool it. More laughter.

The mouse is smarter than everyone this is a great funny movie to see.
Loads of awesome fun
NateWatchesCoolMovies2 August 2015
Gore Verbinski's Mouse Hunt is a comfort movie for me. I find myself revisiting it during times of stress or hardships, and it always has me laughing and feeling better. It's an overlooked classic in my opinion. Implausible? Yes. Silly? Oh yeah. But this is the movies guys, it's where we go to escape. And this one is an hour and a half of pure joy. Nathan Lane and Lee Evans are stellar as Lars and Ernie Smuntz, two bumbling brothers with an unmissable kinship to Laurel and Hardy, who fall on hard times financially. When they inherent a spooky old mansion in the sticks, life begins to look up as it seems the estate is still worth a tidy sum. There one problem: the house has a tiny, belligerent resident, a cute little mouse who is faster, smarter and more resourceful than them, and damn impossible to get rid of. From there the movie takes off in a funhouse of slapstick pratfalls, brilliant physical comedy, cartoonish and imaginative set pieces, and a sense of humour that's playful, yet ever so subtly not appropriate for kids. Verbinski is one of my favourite directors, with a very diverse filmography. He a.ways has a great sense of spectacle and action, winning us over with fluid, funny, balanced sequences of cinematic satisfaction (Pirates Of The Caribbean, Rango). The 1940's setting adds a cool twist and almost feels like a silent film type aesthetic at times. The supporting cast is speckled with knowing comic turns from various characters actors: Maury Chaykin eats the scenery, and everything in sight as a real estate debonair, William Hickey makes a ghostly cameo as the brothers father, and literally looks like he's on his death bed for real! When they inevitably call an exterminator, he's a wacky loony toon played but Christopher Walken because of course. Walken is time capsule gold as Cesar, bringing his well known loopy side to the short but sweet role. I don't get the negativity for this one. It's fun, beautifully crafted, great for kids but with a subversive, wink nudge bit of fun for the adults too, and made with an undeniable love for the screwball comedy, and cinema itself. Check it out.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fun Fare!
namashi_19 February 2015
'Mousehunt' was one of my favorites movies as a kid, thanks to its funny script, that held my attention, much more than I would've thought of. But even today, 'Mousehunt' remains as a fun fare, that hasn't lost its touch.

'Mousehunt' Synopsis: Two stumblebum inheritors are determined to rid their antique house of a mouse who is equally determined to stay where he is.

Don't ask questions & I can assure you 'Mousehunt' will prove to be nothing else but fun. Its twisty plot, coupled with the series of unfortunate events that happen to its protagonists, bring the house down on numerous occasions. Made with heart & joy, this 1997 box-office hit doesn't run out of gas, despite a few hiccups in its Screenplay.

Adam Rifkin's Screenplay, despite a few bumps, is a riot overall. Gore Verbinski's Direction is typically solid. Cinematography is grand. Editing is well-balanced. Art Design is comment-worthy.

Performance-Wise: Nathan Lane is stupendous, pitching in a genuine comedic performance from start to end. Lee Evans supports Lane, admirably. Christopher Walken is deliciously weird in a bit role. Vicki Lewis is first-rate.

On the whole, Wanna laugh & relax on a lazy weekend? Watch 'Mousehunt'. You won't be disappointed!
The House of the Devil
Raul Faust20 June 2014
Well, in the beginning of this year a rat decided to inhabit my house, even thought there was no invitation for him. We spent almost two weeks trying to catch the little rodent, and boy, it wasn't easy. I told this to a close friend, which told me right away: "there's a movie with such subject, go look for it". So, I easily found "Mousehunt" and yesterday decided to give it a chance. The story convinces the spectator for a particular reason: it defines the characters very well. There is a big contrast between the brothers. Ernie is the ambitious member of the family, whilst Lars is the innocent guy who gives more importance to feelings than money or superficial things-- which reminded me of Paul Metzler from 1999's "Election". The main plot is very obvious: a diabolic rat that destroys everything in order to keep alive. The film admits its cheesiness from the get go, so you might expect it to continue that way-- and it does. In fact, there are lots of cheesy scenes, but only some of them achieve on being funny. I had about three laughs I guess. Therefore, this is the kind of movie to watch with your brains off, otherwise you'll just feel cheated by the corny situations. This is a good time passer anyways, even if without much content.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What happens when you combined the elements of the Coen Brothers with Laurel-and-Hardy and Home Alone, you get Mousehunt
adog199028 December 2013
This is one of my favorite comedies that I love and this is the film that made audiences skip Home Alone 3, to see this. While I love Home Alone and I am a fan of slap stick, this film is much better with the slap stick than Home Alone 3. This film is is the debut of Gore Verbinski (famous for the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy and Rango) who does a really good job at mixing the elements of the Coen Brothers with Laurel-and-Hardy and John Huges in this funny movie. Although I love John Huges and I am one of his fans, Gore Verbinski had beating him in that year for the funniest slap stick movie. The humor is golden and laugh out loud and it has some wonderful Christopher Walken moments in it. If you are a fan of Home Alone and want something new in the slap stick world besides Home Alone 3. Rent this movie, it is a very funny film you and your kids will enjoy and laugh.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I remember laughing so hard
rubenvanbergen7 October 2013
It's been many years since I saw this film but I remember at the time (I would have been about 8 or 9 years old) I laughed and laughed. And that's exactly what this movie is supposed to do: make kids laugh. And if their parents get anything out of it that's a nice bonus. So everyone here who's critiquing it as if they were expecting an intelligent grown-up comedy (reviews whining about it being "crude" or even "too dirty" - seriously?) have only themselves to blame and should probably have a bit of a think about what they're doing knocking a funny, innocent kids movie for using slapstick and being a tad predictable (that's what's great about being young: clichés are often still new and so execution is more important than novelty).

If you are a child or have one, this movie will not disappoint.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I seriously do no know where all of the good reviews are coming from!
Bradley Baum18 September 2013
What were all of these people watching? It obviously wasn't the same film called Mousehunt that I was as the one that I saw was about as funny as seeing someone you love get clubbed to death in front of your eyes while he or she is in the same room as you and is no more than a yard away when it happens! I take that back. Seeing someone you love get clubbed to death in front of your eyes while he or she is in the same room as you and is no more than a yard away when it happens would actually be a whole lot funnier! All those that say this is Laurel and Hardy meets Tom and Jerry are paying a GIGTANIC disservice to Laurel and Hardy and Tom and Jerry! It is nothing like either of them as everything they are in is exceptionally worth viewing, this is not! AVOID! I WISH I COULD GIVE THIS BORING, DREARY, DULL, HORRIBLE ONE AND A HALF HOURS OF CRAP NOUGHT (ZERO TO ANYONE WHO IS NOT English/British) STARS BUT UNFORTUNITELY I CAN'T!
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bring me Catzilla.......
FlashCallahan8 August 2013
When their father dies, Ernie & Lars inherit an old house and the family string factory. Lars, the loyal son, refuses to sell the factory, which angers his wife so she kicks him out.

Ernie, who runs a restaurant, is suddenly left with nothing when the mayor dies while eating there.

With no other place to go, the brothers shack up at the old house, and then finding out the place is worth a fortune.

They decide to fix up the place and sell it in an auction, but first, they have to get rid of a mouse living in the walls.......

Proving that Gore Verbinski started out as a great director, and around 2002 sold himself to Disney, mouse hunt is a family film with a hideous dark side. Think the film as a hybrid between Home Alone and The People under the stairs, and it for the most part it works, but the supporting characters really spoil the broth.

Walken and Hickey are brilliant, but they are just cameos, and apart from Jeter, all the other supporting characters are walking tropes. The money hungry wife, the rich fat buyers, and the stereotypical gangsters, just make the film feel less unique.

Evans and Lane make a good pairing and their physical comedy usurps anything Harry and Marv got up to.

The CGI looks a little bit ropes now, especially Catzilla, but it really adds to the silliness of it all.

Its highly predictable stuff, you know the house will get destroyed, and you know that all will well come the end.

Worth seeing, but don't expect anything groundbreaking.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A world without Laughter is chaos
Farhan Mizra22 October 2012
Two brothers Ernie (Nathan Lane) and Lars (Lee Evans) inherit a museum- like thread factory and a debt-ridden mansion after the demise of their father. They soon discover that the mansion was designed by the infamous Charles Lyle La Rue, and actually worth millions of dollar. Eager to furnish and sell it, they forgot about the other "caretaker" of the house, a cute, cunning unnamed Mouse. Things got wacky when the brothers start to get rid of the mouse, using one method after another.

This film was like 15 years ago but its humor is still fresh. It's one of those comedy-films where you'd laugh at the same scenes, over and over again. The first family-film by Dream Works, I dare say it's a classic. Jokes and laughter aside, Mouse-hunt teaches audience the family value, the quality of life and… how to catch a Mouse. One should ponder deeply what Mr. Rudolf's saying - "A world without string is chaos" really means.

Verdict: Watch and laugh.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this is NOT A FAMILY FILM!!!
bootsa120034 February 2012
I saw this movie as a child and the dark humor was awful for any kid. yes, a agree with the not parts were good. the thing that most got me was SHOWING THE CAT PUT TO SLEEP! I mean WTF why did they have to show that. that dis not fit the whole family friendly idea they were going for. Man that made me some mad as a kid. I know it happens but its not humor. This reminds me of sucker-punch and the whole ideal of lobotomy as good idea for entertainment.i mean what were they thinking in both films? where they like oh, that's fine leave it in it makes great since. The killing the cat or animal in many films makes me sick. If the animal has rabies then i can understand unless there is a cure. I hate the scene in The Boondock Saints were they shoot the cat an were like oh, crap. I mean that had not meaning or story development at all so why did they leave it in? Its not go humor and its just bad taste.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Joy from start to finish
beresfordjd2 January 2012
I expected very little given the premise and the fact that Lee Evans was in it. "he is a one-trick pony" I thought, but he is great in this and partnered perfectly with Nathan Lane, a comic actor I just love. It is much darker than one would imagine and that is a very good thing. It has something for all senses of humour and the set pieces are superbly timed and executed. It actually improves with repeated viewing and that is untrue of many comedies. Lane and Evans should make more movies together , they work well off each other. I had not realised that Verbinski had directed Pirates movies and that this was his debut - it is a terrific first outing.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lost the house to a mouse
gcd7025 April 2010
Reasonable, mostly silly slapstick from Gore Verbinski concerning two misfit brothers who inherit a mansion of great worth, only to lose it to a mouse. Good, fun flick with some true comic moments, is headed for an obvious conclusion early on, even though it takes some time to warm up.

Nathan Lane and Lee Evans are no match for our hero, the mouse. The support cast do a reasonable job, and although Christopher Walken wastes his enormous talent here, his presence always brings a smile to my face.

Saturday, June 26, 1999 - Video
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Energetic, fun and highly inventive- the mouse steals the show
TheLittleSongbird11 December 2009
Mousehunt was a very energetic, fun and highly inventive comedy. I just worry however that some of the darker moments might scare younger children and maybe not for those with a phobia of rodents and also one or two of the gags are a tad too obvious. However, it is a very entertaining family film. The plot tells of two brothers who inherits a large house only to find it is already occupied by a pesky mouse. The script is often hilarious, and there is plenty of Laurel and Hardy-like visual flair to suffice the entertainment value. There are some nice sets and costumes. And the performances are great. While I am not that fond of Lee Evans, both he and Nathan Lane give stellar performances as the hapless brothers, and you can see clever nods to Laurel and Hardy. Then there is Christopher Walken's hilarious turn as the exterminator, but of course it is the mouse who steals the show. Very cute, intelligent and funny for a rodent.

All in all, great film. Maybe not for everyone, but essentially it is lots of fun. 8/10 Bethany Cox
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Childhood Favorite!!!
Pumpkin_Man26 July 2009
For 12 years, I have loved this movie, but it's been a long since I watched it, so last night I finally found it, and relived some fond memories. This is a very funny movie about two brothers named Ernie and Lars Smuntz who are down on their luck. Their father died, and receive the deed to an old mansion with a bank debt. They find out that a very famous architect named Charles Lyle LaRue built the house in 1876. The brothers figure it's worth a fortune and hold an auction the following week. During this time, they deal with an incredibly smart mouse who gives them nothing but trouble. They try setting traps, buy a deranged cat named Catzilla, and even hire an expert named Caeser, but the mouse is too smart for all that. Will they ever get rid of this cute little rodent before the auction? I highly recommend MOUSE HUNT!!!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best comedies in years!
anchoreddown10 March 2009
This is Hollywood at it's rarest. It is hard to grasp the exact age group intended for the audience. It's basically a dark comedy about two brothers in the 50s who inherit a mansion of a house. They try to clean it up and save it to sell and make money. Everything that could go wrong happens. The main storyline is the cat and mouse game that the two brothers play with the mouse in the house. Nothing but pure slapstick comedy. If you're one for physical and crude jokes, this one is for you. The level of insanity in the movie goes out the roof. Just about every time I watch it, I have a hard time not to even cry it is that funny. This is one that will more than likely stir just a few cackles out of the older folks, definitely original.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You have to get inside their mind. You have to know what they want, need. You have to think... like a mouse!"
Galina5 March 2009
This movie came with the highest recommendation from my friend who insisted that I should watch it. I missed it when it was released and I was not too eager to see a family live/animated drama about two simpletons who want to get rid of the mouse in the house but in the traditions of Tom and Jerry or Home Alone always get outsmarted by a much smaller but smarter, quicker and unpredictably creative opponent. But hey, when someone whose opinion I respect tells me that it is one of the greats and I must keep my expectations high, I at least should check it out and see for myself. The fact that it is included in many viewers' Top 10 lists like BIG TIME SLEEPERS, Forgotten Gems, and Laugh-out-Loud actually added to my interest and anticipation. Besides, any movie with Christopher Walken doing what he does best - a crazed, creepy, and funny character, is a must see.

So the story is simple - once there was a mouse, a very smart mouse that lived in an old mansion alone. One day, two brothers (rather losers) who inherited the house found out that it was a forgotten architectural masterpiece worth of millions. They wanted to sell, the mouse wanted to stay -thus the epic Mousehunt began. I am happy to report that I had a truly wonderful time watching the movie. It is darkly funny and creative. It combines live action and animation masterfully and seamlessly, and one hilarious scene runs after another without any pause culminating in the auction sequence that was made as an astounding mixture of slapstick comedy and disaster movie. Another favorite scene was at the animal shelter where Ernie (Nathan Lane) and Lars (Lee Evans) wanted to get the meanest scariest cat, "and preferably with a history of mental illness. I'm talking' one mean pussy", in short -not just a cat but Catzilla. Christopher Walken's exterminator who took his job very seriously by trying to get inside the mouse's mind and to think how the mouse thinks, delivered a delightful cameo. I also think that the movie benefits tremendously from its timeless look meaning that we don't know in what decade of the last century it takes place but that's exactly what makes it universal. It won't look outdated for many years from now.

The film was a first feature for its director Gore Verbinski, who had stunned millions of TV-viewers in 1993 when he created now legendary Budweiser commercial featuring three croaking frogs, for which he was awarded the advertising Silver Lion at Cannes and also received four Clio Awards. Verbinski then delighted the whole world with three (well, he delighted this viewer - with two) films of Pirates of Caribbean. For some reasons, Mouse hunt received controversial and rather harsh reviews from the critics that accused the film of not been able to find a target audience and not creating any characters the public could identify with and root for. I believe it is a great film for the whole family, and it talks about serious mattes while entertains. I was fascinated by the clever inventive little mouse, and the movie kept my interest and child-like joy until the very end. Even the fact that the premise of the movie in not new or original did not make it any worse. Lane and Evans are very funny together, and the movie is a work of art from the enormously visually and sound talented director, his cast, and his production team.

9/9.5
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sick Comedy !
ahmed elshikh24 January 2009
When I recall the visual logo of Dream Works at the movie's start I powerfully think that that boy on the cloud threw his fishhook into a swamp this time. Because this is a damn bad comedy. A real ugly one. Although it got some good idea, polished cinematography, grand sets, moments of good directing, but nothing can end its loathsome effective sense, to be one of the most seemingly attractive unattractive movies. I told myself don't write about it, not only because all what I have to say is bad things, but also because I don't want originally to bring up the matter of watching it ever again. It's one of those memories that you can get easier in life if you managed to forget it utterly!

OK, something had happened in the American cinema's comedies since the 1980s' end ; they became relying basically (and sometimes only) on vomit, fart, excrement, urine or even semen???. I think the success of movies that were pioneer bold at this area such as (The War of the Roses, Dumb and Dumber, The Nutty Professor..) pushed that ahead, or is it another circumstances related to the American society?, the international taste?, or Hollywood producers ?! I can't settle exactly, but I do know that they produce it, and somebody out there just loves it, and surely that somebody is NOT ME!

How many sins in here? Many I suppose. I still ask which's filthier? : eating a cockroach, dying out of vomiting, (Christopher Walken)'s special dish, or promoting all of that as a kids movie and a family fun !!?? Actually putting one hand between women's breasts wasn't something droll, so even by the anti-family movies' measures it wasn't fun either !

The only thing that amused me was the shot at the start in which the 2 brothers heard the number that one of the buyers said; their freezing, being both stunned, was the only memorable – in a good way ! – moment. Else that it's a hell of unpleasant dirtiness. The plot is how to kill a smart mouse, but there is nothing smart after that, since all what it has is victory after another for the mouse. And when the script found no solution, they trumped up one, any one, for the happy end. The real problem is that they had to fill the in-between with highly disgusting moments (to make you laugh !). Its dark twisted sense of humor killed even the scarce clever points. It got eventually obnoxious feel that suits a personality of a horror movie more than a slapstick comedy. And what could be more embarrassing for a comedy when you say after it : I didn't laugh even one time through it ?!

I believe there is a specific wisdom that we're created to live a certain time in the bathrooms, long or short time it's always limited, so I don't believe that by any chance we had to get our natural time in the bathroom and in the movies also! Simply I was unfortunate enough to watch this in a theater and by virtue of its loyal determined toilet humor; it transformed the place into a toilet, being an "actual" crap ! So while the fabricated happy end, when you see the colorful food, you have to feel sick hard, because this very movie, during all of its time, succeeded at giving you the nausea already !

Imagine what kind of movie that pushes you to hate its whole cast ? Because their acting ?, because being in it ? whatever. Truly after experiencing Nathan Lane and Lee Evans in here, I now think twice before viewing anything with their names on it. It was mean just accepting this job in the first place.

After 10 years, director Gore Verbinski proved easily how his sense of comedy is mostly fruitless, that's something to say clearly after movies by him like (The Mexican), (The Weather Man), and (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest) OHH that last one was perfectly a dead comedy.

I still remember what I read on its original poster back then, it was some foul opinion for some fool critic, being between parentheses, saying "Mousehunt.. The funniest comedy of the year" !!!! I think it should have been : "The most sick unfunny comedy of the year". At its first scene it enjoys throwing an old man's dead body in the sink, after completing the movie I threw it in the sink myself, it belongs there altogether.

Sick world postulates Sick viewers, so (Mousehunt) must be made, must be loved yet not by me.. Not my kind of sickness.. or even close ! I fear one day in the future that one would watch it to sigh sadly while saying "Hmm.. they never make 'em as they were.. so innocent like that !".
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this